Code of Conduct

Default Niche perfumer houses

I've been taking perfume classes, both online and at a university. I've been making and wearing my own perfumes. I learned that niche houses aren't always unique and quality products as opposed to the big houses. I learned at lot. But I've been out of the loop. So what are the most popular niche houses? what are the popular big brand perfumes? Bring me up to date!
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by By Kilian

Default Re: Niche perfumer houses

It certainly depends on how you define “niche”.

I’ve found everyone’s definition is different.

Trust me.....you don’t want to open this can of worms lol

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

One that seems to be getting a lot of interest lately here is Areej Le Doré.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As Dandydude was saying definitions vary. Plus some niche houses have been bought by the big conglomerates, which has helped a lot with distribution. That said, the not-obviously-mainstream brands I see more often here in the US are Creed, Diptyque (this one likely because of the candles though, not the perfumes), Jo Malone, and Tom Ford Prive (whether you want to call that niche or not. Jo Malone and TF are part of the Estee Lauder group). I used to see a lot of Bond New York, pehaps a bit less now, but it is still around.

As for mainstream, the same as usual: Chanel, Dior, etc etc, and in the cheaper category, Coty brands.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    One that seems to be getting a lot of interest lately here is Areej Le Doré.
    thanks, i'll check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As Dandydude was saying definitions vary. Plus some niche houses have been bought by the big conglomerates, which has helped a lot with distribution. That said, the not-obviously-mainstream brands I see more often here in the US are Creed, Diptyque (this one likely because of the candles though, not the perfumes), Jo Malone, and Tom Ford Prive (whether you want to call that niche or not. Jo Malone and TF are part of the Estee Lauder group). I used to see a lot of Bond New York, pehaps a bit less now, but it is still around.

As for mainstream, the same as usual: Chanel, Dior, etc etc, and in the cheaper category, Coty brands.

cacio
    thanks for letting me know i didn't miss much. i was still into perfume when all those houses sold out.

Freed from BN Institution

For luxury brands there's Xerjoff and Roja Dove in addition to usual suspects like Creed, Chanel, Guerlain, Tom Ford, Dior which also all share mainstream attention.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    perfect!

Congratulations for the great studying, scholarly and hopefully career path.

From a strictly personal and subjective (thus rather not very reliable nor scientifically evidenced) viewpoint alone, Creed seems to be, so far, among the both most popular and better (if not even best) selling niche choices-almost unavoidably omnipresent and widely discussed, reviewed etc. both here on BN and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Congratulations for the great studying, scholarly and hopefully career path.

From a strictly personal and subjective (thus rather not very reliable nor scientifically evidenced) viewpoint alone, Creed seems to be, so far, among the both most popular and better (if not even best) selling niche choices-almost unavoidably omnipresent and widely discussed, reviewed etc. both here on BN and beyond.
    Thanks for that. I do believe Love in Black was an understatement. I think it's pretty amazing.

Here some houses in an alphabetical row:

https://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-fragrance-reviews/
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Thank you for sharing this article, the_good_life.

As it states in the article from 'the good_ life' -- 'Niche' is 'carefully managed' now

One of the best 'niche' outfits remains ELdO imo -- they don't seem to compromise much and their fragrances are always, at the least, interesting.

Some popular, big-name niche brands at the moment:

Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Kilian
    Mancera
    Nasomatto
    Nicolai
    Parfums de Marly

And of course Creed, Amouage, Guerlain, Bond and Clive Christian are still very popular.

Some newer, smaller niche brands that have recently gained some popularity:

Slumberhouse
    Baruti
    Zoologist
    Areej Le Dore
    Bogue
    Papillon
    Nishane
    Auphorie
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    I've been taking perfume classes, both online and at a university. I've been making and wearing my own perfumes. I learned that niche houses aren't always unique and quality products as opposed to the big houses. I learned at lot. But I've been out of the loop. So what are the most popular niche houses? what are the popular big brand perfumes? Bring me up to date!
    Hello Joev, I'm curious to know which college teaches perfumery.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    Hello Joev, I'm curious to know which college teaches perfumery.
    Thanks
    Cinquième Sens has an offshoot at Pratt University. I also heard that FIT offers some perfumery classes that are much cheaper.

Interested?

I recommend Cinquième Sens' Olfactoriums to start trying to train your nose. I don't know if they're available if you're not enrolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Some popular, big-name niche brands at the moment:

Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Kilian
    Mancera
    Nasomatto
    Nicolai
    Parfums de Marly

And of course Creed, Amouage, Guerlain, Bond and Clive Christian are still very popular.

Some newer, smaller niche brands that have recently gained some popularity:

Slumberhouse
    Baruti
    Zoologist
    Areej Le Dore
    Bogue
    Papillon
    Nishane
    Auphorie
    So besides Auphorie I haven't missed much! lol

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Slumberhouse and Areej le Dore are the first that come to mind.
    I sold my discontinued Summerhouses. There was something, I don't' know, homemade about them. Which is a weird criticism since I am a perfumer at home? It's not a hobby but I also haven't gone through all of the training.

So besides Auphorie I haven't missed much! lol
    what are the favorite zoologists?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    As it states in the article from 'the good_ life' -- 'Niche' is 'carefully managed' now

One of the best 'niche' outfits remains ELdO imo -- they don't seem to compromise much and their fragrances are always, at the least, interesting.

After all these results, I will have to second yours on ELdO. They have always been a standout. What are your favorites? I own zero of them. I spent my money on Doves and all of Serge Lutens--except for the ones he releaseed in the past year or so...

Cinquième Sens has an offshoot at Pratt University. I also heard that FIT offers some perfumery classes that are much cheaper.

Interested?

I recommend Cinquième Sens' Olfactoriums to start trying to train your nose. I don't know if they're available if you're not enrolled.
    well I have been doing it as a hobby for a year now, always wanted to be able to learn more and be properly trained, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    well I have been doing it as a hobby for a year now, always wanted to be able to learn more and be properly trained, thanks for the info.
    Dallas.com,

I take it you're on the DIY boards too? I need to gt back on them. There are tons of folks that know a hell of a lot more than I.

Serge Lutens, Guerlain, Amouage, Frederic Malle, Creed (excellent house to understand the appeal of good marketing and easy-to-like fragrances)...

Lots of good stuff here. I had a similar thread earlier this year. Some solid thoughts...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/454...ses?highlight=