Code of Conduct

Default Moving to another country for 4 months - what perfumes to bring?

I'm going to the US for four months and am looking at a sea of perfume here and getting increasingly perplexed on what to bring.

I have a large baggage allowance but don't want to go crazy bringing everything! I've been trying to sensibly take a couple of 10ml decants of favourites from the main 'genres' and a host of random samples, but am wondering how Basenoters would approach this.

I'm also wondering if this is a good time to try a perfume 'diet' - maybe bring ten or s0 and see how it goes (I know how the idea of ten perfumes being a stringent diet is crazy for anyone outside this community - thank heaven for Basenotes!).

My indispensables so far are:

OJ Tiare
    OJ Tolu
    OJ Tsarina
    Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel
    Acampora Prima T
    Tauer Lonestar Memories
    EL Azurée
    ELDO Fat Electrician

and something smoky - LADDM or maybe Miller Harris La Fumée
    also a sharp fresh cologne as it could be hot for the first couple of months - currently quite fond of La Colonia (Oliver & Co) and Heeley Verbena

I could go on.... (this is of course the problem!)

Default Re: Moving to another country for 4 months - what perfumes to bring?

I'd probably bring 4 full-sized bottles, and a few decants (perhaps 6 or so). In the worst case scenario, if I'd find that something is missing which I have a hankering for, I'd probably purchase it in the states. You can purchase decants and samples from The Perfumed Court and other websites too, so I think you'd be spoiled for choice anyway

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    I'm also wondering if this is a good time to try a perfume 'diet' - maybe bring ten or so and see how it goes
    That sounds like a good plan.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I might substitute Sycomore for the Lonestar (more versatile), though you've got your vetiver needs supplied by the ELDO. But apart from that you've got all occasions covered with that list. For the first couple of warm months you might find your Vaninger useful, so maybe a traveller of that?

The US is a pretty big-ass place. You might want to consider the climate and season of where specifically you are going for four months.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    The US is a pretty big-ass place. You might want to consider the climate and season of where specifically you are going for four months.
    Pittsburgh late August to mid December, so could get anything!

Ooh another OJ fan here! I don’t envy you circumstances. At times it can feel as though you’re leaving behind ‘family & friends’ lol... Btw have you done uh... research on your ‘new location’ to see if there are any perfume stores nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I might substitute Sycomore for the Lonestar (more versatile), though you've got your vetiver needs supplied by the ELDO. But apart from that you've got all occasions covered with that list. For the first couple of warm months you might find your Vaninger useful, so maybe a traveller of that?
    I don't have Sycomore - bought the ELDO in preference (I'm such a punk rocker!), how did I know the Vaninger vanguard would feel the ripple!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I don’t envy you circumstances. At times it can feel as though you’re leaving behind ‘family & friends’ lol... Btw have you done uh... research on your ‘new location’ to see if there are any perfume stores nearby?
    There will be no purchases! None I say! ....slopes off to internet - actually Pittsburgh seems pretty much a perfume desert from previous visits, with the notable exception of the fabulous Schiller's Pharmacy, but I'll be doing the odd excursion to larger places!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    I don't have Sycomore - bought the ELDO in preference (I'm such a punk rocker!),
    Ah, I misremembered.

how did I know the Vaninger vanguard would feel the ripple!
    Must seize every opportunity.

I was going to say that when i go away or travel, I bring the very minimum and then have fun buying something. But it's true that the US isn't the best place for buying perfume. Still, this could be part of the fun. You could check the Estee Lauder group, which is available at every Macys and more. Or order online some US niche sample sets like laudamiel's the zoo. Or check discounters like TJ Maxx or Marshall (not much, but occasionally one gets a stroke of luck, like Eau parfumee au the noir last month).

So, apart from a few, like an eau de cologne to freshen up, I would make those 3ml samples rather than 10ml decants.

cacio

That kind of thing can get tedious within minutes. I look at them and figure out which ones of various genres I really wear and like and then take whatever amounts that feel right. I'd rather just throw the whole bottles in there and go, but if going on a plane when luggage could be lost it's better with decants. Get big enough atomizers, fill them up and go. Whatever. Make it fun and feel good about it. Feeling rather than thinking too much.

Have fun !

Whatever you like most and suits you best- can only second and reconfirm the opinion of a steady, at first smaller scale relocation based on immediate preference and priorities and simply observe where it goes before bringing and choosing further ones
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

I would bring a few favourite bottles and some decants.

Let's Dance

I would suggest that you bring 6-8 10 ml decants/travel sprays. You'll travel light.

If you get bored, you can buy something in the US.
    Currently wearing: Skin Bracer by Mennen

Saying you're going to move to US what should I bring is almost like saying going to move to earth what should I bring.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford