Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Penhaligon's Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    "Portraits, just speaking to the perfumes, is a typical "masstige" corporate perfumery rip-off - uninspired, bad-copy-of-xyz mediocrity, where 90% of effort and budget goes to marketing."

Where do you get all this info from? "Cheap ingredients", "90% marketing". Can you document it, or is it just assumptions?
    Considering how the luxury fragrance market works, as documented in reports, interviews, analyses, the information I have from people in the business, my nose, and simple arithmetic / logic I stand behind those statements. You only need to consider the number of fragrances the noses behind Portraits have made for Puig within two years and you know they had no time to even think about them (they actually launched an Artisan Parfumeur line simultaneously, same noses, also Puig). Mark Buxton gave a depressingly honest talk on how industry perfume is made these days (basically algorithms and copying) at the Einstein Forum in Berlin. And here's some reading, if you're keen on it:
    https://nicolasolczyk.files.wordpres...eur_dec-11.pdf
    http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2018...the-new-niche/
    Also the introduction to the new Turin/Sanchez guide (which doesn't feature Penhaligon's, I believe) is very worthwhile.

All of this doesn't mean one cannot enjoy a Roja Dove, Xerjoff or Penhaligon's fragrance. Some turn out to be quite nice. But they all follow a certain logic which inevitably emphasizes scale and profit over artistry, originality and quality and leads to a dominance of aesthetic failures. Not that I even care, as I'm not the target demographic for $200 fragrances by a long shot. High-priced lines like Portraits, Clive Christian, Xerjoff, etc. pp. don't make profits on perfume afficionados organizing sharings, but on sheiks, oligarch wives or hedgefond manager types who romp through Ludwig Beck Munich or Harrods in an afternoon and rack up 20 sets of the entire line without blinking an eye (this I know first hand from a European niche fragrance distributor).
    Currently wearing: Vetiverus by Oliver & Co.

I received my sample of Monsieur Beauregard today. Absolutely gorgeous! Lemon, pepper, orris, cinnamon, benzoin, sandalwood, tonka and patchouli. Nothing loud and brutal here. Just soft, refined, classy comfort in a bottle. Some say this is quite similar to Kensington Amber. Can some confirm?

I received my sample of Monsieur Beauregard today. Absolutely gorgeous! Lemon, pepper, orris, cinnamon, benzoin, sandalwood, tonka and patchouli. Nothing loud and brutal here. Just soft, refined, classy comfort in a bottle. Some say this is quite similar to Kensington Amber. Can some confirm?
    I know, Beauregard is totally underrated, since you posted your question, I went back to my sample of Lord George, as good as Beauregard is, George is awful and generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    I know, Beauregard is totally underrated, since you posted your question, I went back to my sample of Lord George, as good as Beauregard is, George is awful and generic.
    I haven't tried George, but I've heard it's supposed to be the worst from this line.

Has someone tried the new "The Blazing Mr. Sam" ?

I can't believe how many of these Portraits fragrances have been produced in such a short space of time - not to mention the three new Hidden London scents. Penhaligon's seem to be in overdrive at the moment, which makes me doubt that very much care is going into their production. Quantity over quality?

I haven't tried George, but I've heard it's supposed to be the worst from this line.
    and the antlers will 'have your eye out'

Brandy???? Do me a favour!

Glad you like Beauregard though -- maybe that is the best of them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Certainly. At a time when a new generation of artisan perfumers is creating exciting top-grade fragrances from gorgeous materials I have absolutely no patience with corporate accountants selling Alberto Morillas' bottom drawer concoctions for a premium...Just consider the work of veterans like Dubrana, Tauer, Kern, Hurwitz, Aftel or of one-(wo)man-shows like Neuffer, the Providence Perfume Co., Bogue, Fazzolari etc. pp. or avant-niche like Oliver & Co. That's where perfumery for perfume lovers is happening right now.

N.B.: Note hat the Tragedy of Lord George, which I recall as quite obnoxious, has received six negative reviews out of six. Pretty much says it all.
    Strongly agree with you, Penhaligons is aiming at shopping tourists. It’s evident in how their formulas are constructed, loaded with exciting top notes which make way for cheap bases moments after the customer has finished sniffing the strip.

My favorite Portraits are: The Uncompromising Sohan and Much Ado About the Duke. Full Disclosure: I have't tried all of them, but these two are good . . . definitely above average. The Lord George fougere scent is really poor and I don't recommend it. You would do much better by spending around $10 for a bottle of Clubman's Pinaud, which is similar to George but way better. The Portraits have nice bottles, but are not my favorite fragrances from Penhaligon's those would be: Halfeti, As Sawira, Savoy Steam and Endymion with honorable mention to Blenheim Bouquet.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Ironic Avon for the 1%ers?
    I was JUST ABOUT to make that assessment.
    Get out of my head. <3
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Spicy by Avon

I got a sample of Monsieur Beauregard, and sprayed it on a paper strip. Wow, this one has great projection! Strange actually, because the scents is quite soft and discreet. I can clearly smell it in my room over 24 hrs later.