Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Penhaligon's Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    "Portraits, just speaking to the perfumes, is a typical "masstige" corporate perfumery rip-off - uninspired, bad-copy-of-xyz mediocrity, where 90% of effort and budget goes to marketing."

Where do you get all this info from? "Cheap ingredients", "90% marketing". Can you document it, or is it just assumptions?
    Considering how the luxury fragrance market works, as documented in reports, interviews, analyses, the information I have from people in the business, my nose, and simple arithmetic / logic I stand behind those statements. You only need to consider the number of fragrances the noses behind Portraits have made for Puig within two years and you know they had no time to even think about them (they actually launched an Artisan Parfumeur line simultaneously, same noses, also Puig). Mark Buxton gave a depressingly honest talk on how industry perfume is made these days (basically algorithms and copying) at the Einstein Forum in Berlin. And here's some reading, if you're keen on it:
    https://nicolasolczyk.files.wordpres...eur_dec-11.pdf
    http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2018...the-new-niche/
    Also the introduction to the new Turin/Sanchez guide (which doesn't feature Penhaligon's, I believe) is very worthwhile.

All of this doesn't mean one cannot enjoy a Roja Dove, Xerjoff or Penhaligon's fragrance. Some turn out to be quite nice. But they all follow a certain logic which inevitably emphasizes scale and profit over artistry, originality and quality and leads to a dominance of aesthetic failures. Not that I even care, as I'm not the target demographic for $200 fragrances by a long shot. High-priced lines like Portraits, Clive Christian, Xerjoff, etc. pp. don't make profits on perfume afficionados organizing sharings, but on sheiks, oligarch wives or hedgefond manager types who romp through Ludwig Beck Munich or Harrods in an afternoon and rack up 20 sets of the entire line without blinking an eye (this I know first hand from a European niche fragrance distributor).
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver by Carven

I received my sample of Monsieur Beauregard today. Absolutely gorgeous! Lemon, pepper, orris, cinnamon, benzoin, sandalwood, tonka and patchouli. Nothing loud and brutal here. Just soft, refined, classy comfort in a bottle. Some say this is quite similar to Kensington Amber. Can some confirm?

Basenotes Plus

I received my sample of Monsieur Beauregard today. Absolutely gorgeous! Lemon, pepper, orris, cinnamon, benzoin, sandalwood, tonka and patchouli. Nothing loud and brutal here. Just soft, refined, classy comfort in a bottle. Some say this is quite similar to Kensington Amber. Can some confirm?
    I know, Beauregard is totally underrated, since you posted your question, I went back to my sample of Lord George, as good as Beauregard is, George is awful and generic.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    I know, Beauregard is totally underrated, since you posted your question, I went back to my sample of Lord George, as good as Beauregard is, George is awful and generic.
    I haven't tried George, but I've heard it's supposed to be the worst from this line.

Has someone tried the new "The Blazing Mr. Sam" ?

I can't believe how many of these Portraits fragrances have been produced in such a short space of time - not to mention the three new Hidden London scents. Penhaligon's seem to be in overdrive at the moment, which makes me doubt that very much care is going into their production. Quantity over quality?

I haven't tried George, but I've heard it's supposed to be the worst from this line.
    and the antlers will 'have your eye out'

Brandy???? Do me a favour!

Glad you like Beauregard though -- maybe that is the best of them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Certainly. At a time when a new generation of artisan perfumers is creating exciting top-grade fragrances from gorgeous materials I have absolutely no patience with corporate accountants selling Alberto Morillas' bottom drawer concoctions for a premium...Just consider the work of veterans like Dubrana, Tauer, Kern, Hurwitz, Aftel or of one-(wo)man-shows like Neuffer, the Providence Perfume Co., Bogue, Fazzolari etc. pp. or avant-niche like Oliver & Co. That's where perfumery for perfume lovers is happening right now.

N.B.: Note hat the Tragedy of Lord George, which I recall as quite obnoxious, has received six negative reviews out of six. Pretty much says it all.
    Strongly agree with you, Penhaligons is aiming at shopping tourists. It’s evident in how their formulas are constructed, loaded with exciting top notes which make way for cheap bases moments after the customer has finished sniffing the strip.

My favorite Portraits are: The Uncompromising Sohan and Much Ado About the Duke. Full Disclosure: I have't tried all of them, but these two are good . . . definitely above average. The Lord George fougere scent is really poor and I don't recommend it. You would do much better by spending around $10 for a bottle of Clubman's Pinaud, which is similar to George but way better. The Portraits have nice bottles, but are not my favorite fragrances from Penhaligon's those would be: Halfeti, As Sawira, Savoy Steam and Endymion with honorable mention to Blenheim Bouquet.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Ironic Avon for the 1%ers?
    I was JUST ABOUT to make that assessment.
    Get out of my head. <3
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

I got a sample of Monsieur Beauregard, and sprayed it on a paper strip. Wow, this one has great projection! Strange actually, because the scents is quite soft and discreet. I can clearly smell it in my room over 24 hrs later.

My thoughts on Roaring Radcliff, after repeated testing.
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver by Carven

Basenotes Junkie

Would love to hear about this one.
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Basenotes Junkie

Following up to see if anyone has tried the Blazing Mister Sam? thanks!
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Incidentally did so- was, if not surprised at least somewhat pleasantly reacting towards this EDP with very good performance and a style which may seem at first modern, but in fact just a younger, trendier, but not necessarily more generic retake of quite conventional and traditional-however not boring-classic fragrance basics like citrus, chypre, soapy barbershop cleanliness, completed perhaps by some leather and wood etc.
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

I actually really like Penhaligon's. I think they are a good house. I love Halfeti and also enjoy Satorial and LP No9. Unfortunately the Portraits range does nothing for me. I have tried several and thought they were just okay.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Kouros - YSL
    Havana - Aramis
    Fougere Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Bois Du Portugal- Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    1962 - Floris
    Halfeti - Penhaligons
    Oajan - Parfums de Marly
    Club De Nuit Intense - Armaf
    La Yuqawam - Rasasi

Sohan is a wonderful and classy Oud/Rose scent. I just purchased a bottle after trying a few samples over a few weeks.
    I own several of these Oud/Rose scents (Roja amber oud being my favorite) I find Sohan to be one of the best. The dry down is incredible.
    Give this one a try and ignore some of the negative people who dislike the house. There are some good ones in the line up.

sampled most of them

I much prefer their classic offerings

Blenheim Bouquet
    Lavandula
    Endymion (not the concentree)
    Sartorial

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Certainly. At a time when a new generation of artisan perfumers is creating exciting top-grade fragrances from gorgeous materials I have absolutely no patience with corporate accountants selling Alberto Morillas' bottom drawer concoctions for a premium...Just consider the work of veterans like Dubrana, Tauer, Kern, Hurwitz, Aftel or of one-(wo)man-shows like Neuffer, the Providence Perfume Co., Bogue, Fazzolari etc. pp. or avant-niche like Oliver & Co. That's where perfumery for perfume lovers is happening right now.

N.B.: Note hat the Tragedy of Lord George, which I recall as quite obnoxious, has received six negative reviews out of six. Pretty much says it all.
    Pretty much this.
    Currently wearing: Skin Bracer by Mennen

After reading this thread I am almost embarrassed to say that I liked the Antlered Lord George when I tried it last Summer.
    Had no idea it was Penhaligon's. Had a Vanilla, Amber, Boozy, Tonka thing going on. A little sweet and Masculine and just catchy. Did not seem ground breaking but definitely pleasant. Did not like the name, was not crazy about the pointy antlers or pointless price so I didn't buy it, but it was in the top 5 of the 70 odd fragrances I smelled that day.

Don't be embarrassed. the_good_life certainly has some good points but that doesn't mean all Penhaligon's fragrances are junk. Yes, I'd rather see 90% of the cost of a fragrance to a house go to ingredients and development rather than marketing. Some think they can rest on their laurels of the past. This will eventually catch up with them. Point is: buy what you like.