Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Fall and Halloween sample packs are going to be shipped out this week for Circle members. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fragrances will be.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Fall and Halloween sample packs are going to be shipped out this week for Circle members. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fragrances will be.
    Indeed! She's keeping them a mystery until they arrive apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vesper by Santa Eulalia

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Indeed! She's keeping them a mystery until they arrive apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    She sent this out on Facebook:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.53.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.52.50 PM.jpg

The two sneak peak scents are Thank the Dark Lord and Losers Club.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    She sent this out on Facebook:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.53.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.52.50 PM.jpg

The two sneak peak scents are Thank the Dark Lord and Losers Club.
    Looks like a reference to Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which is a great Netflix show and reboot of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

All right! So starting off with the first two parfum versions of the Dark sample set, which came with one bonus sample. Jkonick will be posting soon after me his opinion.

Cotton Mather
    Official Notes: Blackened patchouli, woodland mosses, sweet herbs, dried helichrysum, woodsmoke, lamplight, ink, ash and flame

It opens like fresh yeasty bread with aged patchouli and a touch of smoke. Really nice fall scent opening. It's dry and mossy too. A nice blend of herbs are integrated. Itís salty like ambergris. The woodland moss becomes even more prominent over time but is also very pleasant. Itís like a deep swamp in the forest with an earthy sweetness. I really like this one. Good longevity and silage. This is a likely buy for me in the future.

Last Exit for the Lost
    Official Notes: 
Orchard apples, woven wood baskets, dried hay, distant chimney smoke on cool air

Beautiful and fresh. Itís like walking through an apple orchard at its peak of harvest with snapped fresh green branches and leaves, fresh tart apples and apple mash and roots of trees exposed with raindrops moistening the earth. Not too sweet at all. Modest hay and wood wupporting the Apple. Really delightful. Modest silage and longevity but love it. I've already purchased the full version of this.
    Thanks for kicking things off! Getting mine posted a little late but better than never...

Cotton Mather

Opens somewhat similar to Mein Herr Marquis - has the same kind of yeasty-sweet bread note, although it settles down after a few minutes. Patchouli is the most dominant note, along with the immortelle and ďsweet herbs,Ē which give it a warm, sweet feeling, almost like marzipan when combined with the breadiness. Canít discern what the herbs are exactly but itís nothing sharp or harsh, or even particularly green. More like chamomile herbal tea than herbes de provence. I donít get much smoke in the top, but there is a kind of oily ďlampĒ note that I can discern. In the heart the patchouli really comes to the fore and the chamomile/marzipan type sweetness fades. In the dry down I start to get more of the smoke - a kind of mossy campfire smokiness. The opening is a bit too sweet/warm herbal/floral for me, but I really like the dry down. Itís dark, mulchy, mossy patchouli with a kind of autumnal vibe overall, like stumbling upon a cabin in the woods with a smoking chimney surrounded by fallen and decomposing leaves. Itís a shame the smoke note doesnít really step out until the dry down, because itís probably my favorite part, as opposed to the yeasty bread note at the top which I donít really care for all that much. Way deep into the dry down it gets less mossy and settles into a kind of rich amber campfire smoke. The dry down reminds me a lot of Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider, minus the leather of the Varvatos. Really fun to follow this one as it evolves, as I found the dry down to be almost completely different from the opening.

Last Exit for the Lost

Opens with an intense Jolly Rancher-esque green apple note; crisp, juicy and bright. After the initial burst of green apple it mellows a bit and is joined by a grassy/wicker accord with a sort of humid greenness. The apple eventually dies away completely leaving the green wicker accord and eventually settling into a kind of warm, slightly smoky vanilla-woods dry down. I like this one but it seems like itís missing something, or not totally developed; other than the apple, the hay/wicker accord, and the warm, smoky dry down, there isnít much else in this one. I like all those notes, but Iíd like to see something maybe herbal, or a more discernible smokiness. Like Cotton Mather, this one doesnít reveal its smoke until the dry down, although it is very nice once it does poke its smoky head out of that wicker basket.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Thanks for kicking things off! Getting mine posted a little late but better than never...

Cotton Mather

Opens somewhat similar to Mein Herr Marquis - has the same kind of yeasty-sweet bread note, although it settles down after a few minutes. Patchouli is the most dominant note, along with the immortelle and ďsweet herbs,Ē which give it a warm, sweet feeling, almost like marzipan when combined with the breadiness. Canít discern what the herbs are exactly but itís nothing sharp or harsh, or even particularly green. More like chamomile herbal tea than herbes de provence. I donít get much smoke in the top, but there is a kind of oily ďlampĒ note that I can discern. In the heart the patchouli really comes to the fore and the chamomile/marzipan type sweetness fades. In the dry down I start to get more of the smoke - a kind of mossy campfire smokiness. The opening is a bit too sweet/warm herbal/floral for me, but I really like the dry down. Itís dark, mulchy, mossy patchouli with a kind of autumnal vibe overall, like stumbling upon a cabin in the woods with a smoking chimney surrounded by fallen and decomposing leaves. Itís a shame the smoke note doesnít really step out until the dry down, because itís probably my favorite part, as opposed to the yeasty bread note at the top which I donít really care for all that much. Way deep into the dry down it gets less mossy and settles into a kind of rich amber campfire smoke. The dry down reminds me a lot of Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider, minus the leather of the Varvatos. Really fun to follow this one as it evolves, as I found the dry down to be almost completely different from the opening.

Last Exit for the Lost

Opens with an intense Jolly Rancher-esque green apple note; crisp, juicy and bright. After the initial burst of green apple it mellows a bit and is joined by a grassy/wicker accord with a sort of humid greenness. The apple eventually dies away completely leaving the green wicker accord and eventually settling into a kind of warm, slightly smoky vanilla-woods dry down. I like this one but it seems like itís missing something, or not totally developed; other than the apple, the hay/wicker accord, and the warm, smoky dry down, there isnít much else in this one. I like all those notes, but Iíd like to see something maybe herbal, or a more discernible smokiness. Like Cotton Mather, this one doesnít reveal its smoke until the dry down, although it is very nice once it does poke its smoky head out of that wicker basket.
    Excellent reviews! Love the detail.

I SAW GOODY PROCTOR WITH THE DEVIL!

Official Notes: Dragonís blood, Champaca flower, exotic spices, ancient spellbooks and a smouldering cauldron

A spicy floral opening remind me a bit of carnation. Then a small fire like the burnt end of an incense stick. Something like parchment and dust. As it dries down it strikes me as musky maple. This one is not really to my taste. Not bad, just not for me.

VLAD DRACUL

Official Notes: Carpathian fir needle, red cedar, black amber, black patchouli, scorched earth, opium, blood musk

Warm amber and earth. Aged patchouli and bone dry vanilla. The dry down is a little smoky and a little woody, perhaps comes too quickly for me. I didn't get much fir or pine either. That said, itís an excellent fragrance, although the longevity and silage are pretty modest, which does make it a nice work fragrance...I bought this one, glad I did. Will be great as the weather cools.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Alright, round two! Sounds like our takes differed on these a bit more. Curious to hear from others who have tried these as well!

I Saw Goody Proctor With The Devil!

This one opens with some heady nag champa/head shop type incense and a kind of sweet, animalic undertone. The incense accord in this is really nice and three-dimensional - spicy, sweet and smoky. This smells exactly like a New Age/Wiccan kind of store full of candles, incense, lotions, potions, etc. Or like the hallway of an apartment building I lived in during college. There’s something very familiar and evocative about this. There’s something a bit fruity and floral in here is as well - a kind of apricot sweetness and dried potpourri/flowers. This one smells very natural to my nose. Overall I would say it was pretty linear. The fruitiness disappeared in the heart and base, but the incense-potpourri vibe stayed more or less the same all the way through. Normally I don’t like overly sweet, spiced incense, but I found myself enjoying getting wafts of this throughout the day. Projection and longevity were quite good as well. I could still easily smell this on my shirt the morning after I wore it.

Vlad Dracul

This one opens with a resinous, green incense accord that could definitely be at home in the Tom Ford “Vert” line - reminds me a bit of Vert d’Encens. Lots of pine needles and cedar in the opening, woody notes that skew more toward resinous and damp-forest-floor than dry and sharp. In the heart I get more of the cedar, and some really nice, clean musk. Musk notes can be hit-or-miss for me, but this one plays well with the resinous pine needle and cedar, and perhaps some patchouli. Dries down into a nice musky, woody incense. I thought there might be something metallic in this from the “blood” accord, but I couldn’t really pick up on anything. This is definitely my favorite of the bunch, although I am admittedly quite biased toward green/resinous/woody fragrances. This one pretty much ticks all the boxes for me in that regard. It’s too bad they’re currently sold out of the 30 ml bottles of this, but I’ll probably pick one up when/if they come back into stock.

Alright, round two! Sounds like our takes differed on these a bit more. Curious to hear from others who have tried these as well!

I Saw Goody Proctor With The Devil!

This one opens with some heady nag champa/head shop type incense and a kind of sweet, animalic undertone. The incense accord in this is really nice and three-dimensional - spicy, sweet and smoky. This smells exactly like a New Age/Wiccan kind of store full of candles, incense, lotions, potions, etc. Or like the hallway of an apartment building I lived in during college. There’s something very familiar and evocative about this. There’s something a bit fruity and floral in here is as well - a kind of apricot sweetness and dried potpourri/flowers. This one smells very natural to my nose. Overall I would say it was pretty linear. The fruitiness disappeared in the heart and base, but the incense-potpourri vibe stayed more or less the same all the way through. Normally I don’t like overly sweet, spiced incense, but I found myself enjoying getting wafts of this throughout the day. Projection and longevity were quite good as well. I could still easily smell this on my shirt the morning after I wore it.

Vlad Dracul

This one opens with a resinous, green incense accord that could definitely be at home in the Tom Ford “Vert” line - reminds me a bit of Vert d’Encens. Lots of pine needles and cedar in the opening, woody notes that skew more toward resinous and damp-forest-floor than dry and sharp. In the heart I get more of the cedar, and some really nice, clean musk. Musk notes can be hit-or-miss for me, but this one plays well with the resinous pine needle and cedar, and perhaps some patchouli. Dries down into a nice musky, woody incense. I thought there might be something metallic in this from the “blood” accord, but I couldn’t really pick up on anything. This is definitely my favorite of the bunch, although I am admittedly quite biased toward green/resinous/woody fragrances. This one pretty much ticks all the boxes for me in that regard. It’s too bad they’re currently sold out of the 30 ml bottles of this, but I’ll probably pick one up when/if they come back into stock.
    I picked up the 7.5 ML of Vlad. Good stuff! The next two:

BABA YAGA
    Official Notes: Fiery dragon’s blood incense, sweet woodsmoke, dried herbs, dripping candle wax, forest dirt

Sweetness in the opening. Like sweet sap. Ah it must be the wax accord, but I am reminded of sweet sap and some gentle herbs. Very nice. Not gourmand. I get a hit of something floral and slightly fruity. Then it becomes more earthy. It's fluctuating with the sweet sap. I like this. Fairly modest silage and longevity.

NECROMANCY
    Official Notes: Datura metel, ceremonial incense, funeral flowers, benzoin resin, ancient spirit boards, oud

Dark florals to open. Almost metallic incense. A touch of benzoin. It becomes cool. A chilled night fragrance. Modest silage. I don't get a lot out of this one...too subtle for me.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I picked up the 7.5 ML of Vlad. Good stuff! The next two:
    Yeah I may just cave and get the 7.5...

On to round three!

Necromancy

It’s all about the benzoin, baby. Benzoin and dark florals - carnation I think? This one reminds me a bit of Or Black, which has a benzoin note I really like, although here it’s paired with the florals instead of whatever else is in Or Black. For a smell invoking death, this is actually very nice and floral; a tribute more to the funeral home than the body in the casket. The dry down of this is a floral-incense with the same kind of incense accord I’ve encountered in several other fragrances.

Baba Yaga

Another potpourri/incense type blend with a fair amount of patchouli, not too dissimilar to I Saw..... It almost feels like these two could be flankers of one another, although this one is a bit less strong - maybe a less “aggressive” patchouli? Although this one opens fairly similarly to several others with the resinous incense and dried fruit a la Serge Lutens, the dry down takes it in a different direction. I think that’s my favorite part of this, as it settles into a really nice woody patchouli and perhaps oud scent. Interestingly this one doesn’t have oud listed, but I got more “oud” from this than the other two that supposedly do contain it. I could still smell the dry down of this one the next morning, a very pleasant surprise to wake up to.

The next two from the set!

SALEM
    Official Notes: Damp leaves, church incense, Italian leather, dry birch woods, clove bud absolute, bonfire smoke

Smoky, burnt wood and frankincense in the opening. Reminds me of a campfire...very nice, I like it. Then it gets a little damp and cooler like wet fall leaves. I get something like cool violets. I wish the burning woods lasted longer. It's gone after about an hour and a half. I get more herbal cloves as it dries down and still a little frankincense as it dries down it literally smells like it's "drying," becoming more parched and like a desert.

YOUTH GONE WILD
    Official Notes: New vinyl records, warm night air, polished arcade wood, hot asphalt, burned rubber

What a realistic vinyl record smell! Fresh off the presses. The slick wood is believable...it could be my imagination, but it does somehow remind me of a game arcade with Pacman and Space Invaders. I also get some rubber and new car leather. Petroleum. The rubber and petroleum is like a reverse engineered oud. The Zoo wishes it could be this avant garde but still likable. This is quirky, well done and I'd never wear it. I did like it though.
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 15th August 2019 at 07:30 PM.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Salem

I was hoping for more leather in this, but the opening at least is all clove - a kind of menthol clove note on top of the same incense that seems present in others. The leather is definitely there, but it’s more of an indistinct background note giving weight to everything else than a star in its own right. Going into the heart the clove dies down a bit - it’s still there, but not overpowering everything else. There’s definitely more leather now, and dark, smoky incense. The smoke seems to show itself a bit sooner than others which is definitely a good thing in my book - I was a little disappointed that the others didn’t really get smoky until the dry down. Maybe it’s the birch note?

Youth Gone Wild

I've posted my notes here previously on the oil version of this, but there are a few differences with the parfum. First off the bat is much better projection and longevity, and also to my nose a stronger focus on the vinyl/rubber note. I just spent a few hours floating in a brand new plastic inner-tube the other day, and the first thing I thought to myself when I got in it was, "did I wear Youth Gone Wild again today?" Nope - but the vinyl note is that realistic. Oddly I found that the vinyl was much more front and center in the parfum than the oil, and I got less of the "warm night air" accord in the parfum. I like this one as a kind of avant-garde art piece, but I can't quite see myself wearing it on a day to day basis. Nevertheless as a fan of vinyl records and industrial smells, I enjoyed testing out the sample.

Has anyone sampled Boardwalk? I'm trying to decide on picking up a 6ml oil bottle.

Has anyone sampled Boardwalk? I'm trying to decide on picking up a 6ml oil bottle.
    I haven't.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Last one.

PYROMANCY
    Official Notes: Green cardamom, fireplace embers, agarwood, smoked tea, white tobacco, hearth smoke

Earthy cardamom, smoke, tea and sweet tobacco in the opening. It really does amazingly capture an extinguishing fireplace. It's very well blended...smooth and comforting. The cardamom adds some warm spice to it. Really nice fall/winter scent. This could be a big hit if more people tried it I think. It dries down with the oud-like agarwood coming to the fore. The cardamom is still present and at this point it also hints at sweet cinnamon. Well balanced but not really my style. Iím generally not a fan of tobacco, and may be psychological, but it makes me sneeze a little bit. Could be a sensitivity.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Pyromancy

This is the one I struggled with the most personally, as it's a one-two punch of notes that don't quite work for me - the aforementioned bread note, tobacco and some warm, spicy cardamom. For me this was verging on gourmand, but not quite, as the cardamom still stood on its own rather than being part of a sweeter, richer accord, and the tobacco lent some sweetness but with more of a cured-leaf vibe than pastry. I tried wearing this one three separate times, and cried uncle before the dry down each time - just didn't want the scent trailing me around for that long. But if those notes sound like something you like, I certainly don't think it's a bad composition; just not for me. I still have 1-2 sprays left in the vial so maybe I'll give it another shot if there's an oud dry down, since oud is definitely one funky note that always plays well with my skin.

Well, this has been fun! Hope to hear from others who've tried these as well. My overall take is that Vlad Dracul is the FBW winner, with I Saw Goody Proctor... not far behind.

Basenotes Plus

Update - looks like the Fall collection is going to be Stephen King themed. It, Pet Cemetery, The Shining per their latest 'hint'.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 7.42.26 PM.jpg

Pyromancy

This is the one I struggled with the most personally, as it's a one-two punch of notes that don't quite work for me - the aforementioned bread note, tobacco and some warm, spicy cardamom. For me this was verging on gourmand, but not quite, as the cardamom still stood on its own rather than being part of a sweeter, richer accord, and the tobacco lent some sweetness but with more of a cured-leaf vibe than pastry. I tried wearing this one three separate times, and cried uncle before the dry down each time - just didn't want the scent trailing me around for that long. But if those notes sound like something you like, I certainly don't think it's a bad composition; just not for me. I still have 1-2 sprays left in the vial so maybe I'll give it another shot if there's an oud dry down, since oud is definitely one funky note that always plays well with my skin.

Well, this has been fun! Hope to hear from others who've tried these as well. My overall take is that Vlad Dracul is the FBW winner, with I Saw Goody Proctor... not far behind.
    It was fun to review them with you, jk. Agree that Vlad is great...glad I already bought it and Last Exit. From the rest, I found Cotton Mather to be FBW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Update - looks like the Fall collection is going to be Stephen King themed. It, Pet Cemetery, The Shining per their latest 'hint'.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 7.42.26 PM.jpg
    Nice detective work!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Nice detective work!
    Gaging on the 'getting to know you' thread, I'm one of the few that still use Facebook! They drop many hints on their FB page and further down into the comments.

Looks like people have started receiving their Fall Circle subscriptions - mine's due to be delivered Monday. The revealed scents are:

Fall 2019 - Stephen King

DARKNESS WAS ENOUGH Ancient woods, beeswax candles, spiced honey, charred amber, saffron crocus Salem's Lot, 1975

DEAD IS BETTER Sharp fir needles, cracked asphalt, wild blackberry thorn, grave mud, cold fur Pet Semetary, 1983

LOSER'S CLUB Rain-drenched iron, distant circus lights, candy floss, a red balloon It, 1986

MIND OVER MATTER Sheer vanilla, black tea with milk, silver iris and delicate lace slashed with bright red musk and glowing embers Carrie, 1974

REDRUM The muffled din of a ghostly masquerade party - faint clink of champagne flutes, a ticking ebony clock, expensive furs, hazy hallways, and specters moving through shadow The Shining, 1977

A Very Chilling Halloween

THE BOOK OF THE BEAST Wet leaves, burned parchment, a roaring bonfire, inky night sky, a slice of leftover birthday cake

MALUM MALUS Apple peel, autumn hayride, dense corn maze, sugar pumpkin, twisted bark

THE PATH OF NIGHT Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskin

THANK THE DARK LORD Spiced caramel toffees, soft wool scarf, witch's herbs, cardamom latte, a tray of warm cookies

UNSEEN ARTS Potion-stained vials, ancient stone floors, dusty relics, wisps of cauldron smoke, soft velvet, black vinyl

I'm really intrigued to see how they turn out.

(Hi, by the way! I've been a fan of Sixteen92 for about two years now, this was actually one of the first brands I really got into when discovering perfume as a hobby. I'm particularly a fan of her more atmospheric work.)

Quote Originally Posted by xeru View Post
    Looks like people have started receiving their Fall Circle subscriptions - mine's due to be delivered Monday. The revealed scents are:

Fall 2019 - Stephen King

DARKNESS WAS ENOUGH Ancient woods, beeswax candles, spiced honey, charred amber, saffron crocus Salem's Lot, 1975

DEAD IS BETTER Sharp fir needles, cracked asphalt, wild blackberry thorn, grave mud, cold fur Pet Semetary, 1983

LOSER'S CLUB Rain-drenched iron, distant circus lights, candy floss, a red balloon It, 1986

MIND OVER MATTER Sheer vanilla, black tea with milk, silver iris and delicate lace slashed with bright red musk and glowing embers Carrie, 1974

REDRUM The muffled din of a ghostly masquerade party - faint clink of champagne flutes, a ticking ebony clock, expensive furs, hazy hallways, and specters moving through shadow The Shining, 1977

THE BOOK OF THE BEAST Wet leaves, burned parchment, a roaring bonfire, inky night sky, a slice of leftover birthday cake

MALUM MALUS Apple peel, autumn hayride, dense corn maze, sugar pumpkin, twisted bark

THE PATH OF NIGHT Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskin

THANK THE DARK LORD Spiced caramel toffees, soft wool scarf, witch's herbs, cardamom latte, a tray of warm cookies

UNSEEN ARTS Potion-stained vials, ancient stone floors, dusty relics, wisps of cauldron smoke, soft velvet, black vinyl

I'm really intrigued to see how they turn out.

(Hi, by the way! I've been a fan of Sixteen92 for about two years now, this was actually one of the first brands I really got into when discovering perfume as a hobby. I'm particularly a fan of her more atmospheric work.)
    Welcome, Xeru! Thanks for sharing. Looks like I'll be receiving them either tomorrow or Tuesday. Exciting!

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

A lot of those sound really interesting.

Looks like my sets are in my city so I should have mine tomorrow as well.

I just received mine! I intentionally didn't apply fragrance this morning so that I could start sampling them immediately.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Fall 2019 - Stephen King

THE PATH OF NIGHT Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskinaÕS

Based on the notes, these intrigue me. Can't wait!

Does any one else think a lot of her fragrances smell similar to each other?

I think she has a recognizable style, and many of her scents can be viewed as evolutions of her previous work, but I don’t think the similarities are egregious or overly derivative - each scent still seems carefully designed to evoke a precise image/atmosphere, and there are still scents that pop up regularly that aren’t that similar to what she’s done before, either. Having tried and enjoyed a lot of her scents, I find I do need to be judicious about not keeping too many that fulfill a redundant role in my collection. The positive aspect of this is that if you really enjoy a scent type of hers ( for me this would be petrichor scents, orris, CDG-esque synthetic/industrial, feminine and ethereal but dark), you can own several interesting variations on that type, or if you like certain aspects of a scent but not others, sooner or later she’s likely to make a scent with those aspects you like that’s more wholly to your taste.

I do wonder how she’ll keep things from getting stale in another 5-10 years, though, given just how many scents she releases each year.
    Last edited by xeru; 20th August 2019 at 03:26 PM.

I think she has a recognizable style, and many of her scents can be viewed as evolutions of her previous work, but I donít think the similarities are egregious or overly derivative - each scent still seems carefully designed to evoke a precise image/atmosphere, and there are still scents that pop up regularly that arenít that similar to what sheís done before, either. Having tried and enjoyed a lot of her scents, I find I do need to be judicious about not keeping too many that fulfill a redundant role in my collection. The positive aspect of this is that if you really enjoy a scent type of hers ( for me this would be petrichor scents, orris, CDG-esque synthetic/industrial, feminine and ethereal but dark), you can own several interesting variations on that type, or if you certain aspects of a scent but not others, sooner or later sheís likely to make a scent with those aspects you like thatís more wholly to your taste.

I do wonder how sheíll keep things from getting stale in another 5-10 years, though, given just how many scents she releases each year.
    Very nice description xeru, I think you nailed it. To echo what you said in response to bl00drunzcold question, I agree that many of her scents fall within familiar families and use similar notes. At the same time, many are radically different from each other and quite unexpected. She has a few signature accords that seem to show up in quite a few of her scents, such as the "fresh baked bread" accord, or the resinous wet earth type accord. But as you say, if those notes are appealing she has numerous variations around them that give you options to what suits your taste. And then by contrast, she does quite surprising things as well, such as channeling an apple orchard for LAST EXIT FOR THE LOST. While there are similarities between her fragrances, there are also many disparate styles as well. When I first got hooked on SIXTEEN92, I thought she was 75% gourmand. Now I think she's only about 25% gourmand and much more weighted toward earthy, dark forest scents and such. She keeps evolving. I have tried a large number of her scents and while I don't always love them, I've rarely disliked any of them, and she's the most represented house in my collection. I think she's quite innovative and risk-taking, if not always successful.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I've started working my way through the fall samples. I've already found a full-bottle-worthy big winner!

DEAD IS BETTER
    Official Notes: sharp fir needles, cracked asphalt, wild blackberry thorn, grave mud, cold fur - Pet Semetary, 1983

A tart berry that smells like juniper berries to me...and sweet. A dash of crisp pine. Not getting much evolution or range on this one as it goes into the heart. The dry down in about four to five hours is barely a skin sent I get a hint of earthiness, pine and maybe a little tar. Overall this one was a little too weak for my nose.

MIND OVER MATTER
    Official Notes: sheer vanilla, black tea with milk, silver iris and delicate lace slashed with bright red musk and glowing embers - Carrie, 1974

Oily, rich vanilla. Very dense and even gently musky. It's woven through with an herbal tea. A very nice balance between the two sides. Over time, I began to notice that it becomes creamy and a tiny bit powdery. The drydown brings out some nutty aspects which contrasts nicely with the sweetness. Really nice, I'll be snagging this one as soon as it's available.

DARKNESS WAS ENOUGH
    Official notes: Ancient woods, beeswax candles, spiced honey, charred amber, saffron crocus - Salem's Lot, 1975

Opens with burning woods. Followed quickly by warm honey. Spices arise--I get some cinnamon, nutmeg and saffron. Itís warm and pleasant, I get the overall vibe of amber in the heart. A modest floral enters as it dries down. It's warm with honey amber and gentle florals as it dries down holding just a touch of the spicy cinnamon. The woods seemed to have faded quickly, I wish they lasted longer. A nice fragrance but didn't grab me...perhaps it's a bit too expected.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

I felt that way with 4160 Tuesday's. There were similar, comfortable notes in many of her perfumes.

However I would put it as more 'variations of a theme' or 'sister scents'. Related but enough individuality.

Basenotes Plus

I've started working my way through the fall samples. I've already found a full-bottle-worthy big winner!

MIND OVER MATTER
    Official Notes: sheer vanilla, black tea with milk, silver iris and delicate lace slashed with bright red musk and glowing embers - Carrie, 1974

Oily, rich vanilla. Very dense and even gently musky. It's woven through with an herbal tea. A very nice balance between the two sides. Over time, I began to notice that it becomes creamy and a tiny bit powdery. The drydown brings out some nutty aspects which contrasts nicely with the sweetness. Really nice, I'll be snagging this one as soon as it's available.
    I'm looking forward to this one! Mine haven't arrived yet and since it's been hitting over 100 degrees F during the day I worry a bit with the oil bases since they'll be sitting in the metal mailbox for a good while during the day.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast