Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I'm looking forward to this one! Mine haven't arrived yet and since it's been hitting over 100 degrees F during the day I worry a bit with the oil bases since they'll be sitting in the metal mailbox for a good while during the day.
    That's one of the reasons I always have perfumes delivered to my office. I hope you can snap them up soon after they arrive!

I really fell for MIND OVER MATTER. I'm going to snag it as soon as she makes them available for purchase.

One more trial here:

REDRUM
    Official Notes: The muffled din of a ghostly masquerade party - faint clink of champagne flutes, a ticking ebony clock, expensive furs, hazy hallways, and specters moving through shadow - The Shining, 1977

This one is a bit rubbery and petrol in the opening. Reminds me of vintage Bvlgari Black. Itís also rather like certain forms of oud. As it moves into the heart it remains very much reminiscent to me of oud. A little less petrol...more a rubbery wood accord. It's set against a gauzy, dusty cobweb backdrop. There's also something sharp against this atmosphere, something I can't quite pin down. It's bright and reminds me of ginger. This is one of the most abstract fragrances I've tried in a while.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Karasu by Apoteker Tepe

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Time After Time... Wow! I think I had this watermelon lip gloss, mentioned as a note, years ago! LOL! Fruit, with a bit of the rind. The taste of the seeds, rolling around my tongue - that note, really took me back in time... I can't say my new roller skates (circa 1981) ever had a distinctive smell though. Just vague leather and acrylic wheels but, I got none of that here. I'll say this one, is very creative. Artsy, fartsy.

The peony seems almost rotted, flowers past their prime. Vanilla malt powder sprinkles, just hovering above the skin. Sugar crystals as if scrapping the coating off of a gumdrop... It becomes something else entirely later. Rather gentle and easy-going with time. Smooth vanilla and a light musk follow. I liked this one.

Fall collection and a special rerelease collection are dropping on the 31st. I asked on Facebook when we Circle members can order. I'll update when I here back.

Edit: we'll be able to order about a week early. We should have our Circle discount codes emailed to us either this weekend or early next week.

Mind Over Matter is gross to me. I just smell spoiled milk.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Time After Time... Wow! I think I had this watermelon lip gloss, mentioned as a note, years ago! LOL! Fruit, with a bit of the rind. The taste of the seeds, rolling around my tongue - that note, really took me back in time... I can't say my new roller skates (circa 1981) ever had a distinctive smell though. Just vague leather and acrylic wheels but, I got none of that here. I'll say this one, is very creative. Artsy, fartsy.

The peony seems almost rotted, flowers past their prime. Vanilla malt powder sprinkles, just hovering above the skin. Sugar crystals as if scrapping the coating off of a gumdrop... It becomes something else entirely later. Rather gentle and easy-going with time. Smooth vanilla and a light musk follow. I liked this one.
    Glad you enjoyed this one, HOP!

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Fall collection and a special rerelease collection are dropping on the 31st. I asked on Facebook when we Circle members can order. I'll update when I here back.

Edit: we'll be able to order about a week early. We should have our Circle discount codes emailed to us either this weekend or early next week.
    Excellent! That's coming right up. Thanks for letting us know.

Mind Over Matter is gross to me. I just smell spoiled milk.
    Goes to show you how different people's noses are! This was a home run for me.

My last of the fall set

LOSERíS CLUB
    Official notes: Rain-drenched iron, distant circus lights, candy floss, a red balloon - It, 1986

Sweet - like a warm cinnamon danish or cinnamon bun. The cinnamon evolves into more of a rusty iron and the sweetness fades. It becomes more atmospheric. I don't have much to comment on this one...it was so gauzy in the drydown that my nose couldn't describe it well.

================================================== =

In conclusion for fall, of the five Stephen King inspired fragrances:

LOSERíS CLUB - too soft for me.

REDRUM - not to my taste

DEAD IS BETTER - too soft for me.

MIND OVER MATTER - loved it, will be picking up a bottle

DARKNESS WAS ENOUGH - liked it but no spark for me
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Jux... I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not signing up for The Circle. I could have had a shot of ordering Atropa Belladonna - full sized. I check her site about three times a week, waiting for older scents to become available. I'll get it, one way or another.

Atropa Belladonna should be available come Resurrection in early January.

I’ve started testing my Circle Fall/Halloween samples, because I’m impatient, but I’ll wait until they’ve had a few more days to rest before posting my impressions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    That's one of the reasons I always have perfumes delivered to my office. I hope you can snap them up soon after they arrive!
    Checked the tracking. Apparently the box has been milling around Fort Worth since 17 August and hasn't left the State of Texas yet. Thankfully it will start cooling off on the East Coast tomorrow, so no worries coming up regarding the sheer heat.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Basenotes Plus

LOSER’S CLUB
    Official notes: Rain-drenched iron, distant circus lights, candy floss, a red balloon - It, 1986

Sweet - like a warm cinnamon danish or cinnamon bun. The cinnamon evolves into more of a rusty iron and the sweetness fades. It becomes more atmospheric. I don't have much to comment on this one...it was so gauzy in the drydown that my nose couldn't describe it well.
    Finally got my set and let it settle for a bit.

I picked two at random:

Loser's Club
    Odd buttered popcorn note in then opening. Very sweet almost blue-raspberry slushy scent, I do get the same cinnamon bun or danish scent as you after the dry down. My kids have a bunch of balloons that they twist into animal shapes, so I am getting that latex or neoprene note too. A lot sweeter than I expected.

Darkness Was Enough
    I found the opening unbearable, too astringent. After a good settling down it became smoldering and lightly smoky, charred inside of a wooden barrel. Sour smell, like curdled milk, same smell I get from my lactic acid treatment for my face actually. I really didn't care for this one.

Basenotes Plus

:

REDRUM
    Official Notes: The muffled din of a ghostly masquerade party - faint clink of champagne flutes, a ticking ebony clock, expensive furs, hazy hallways, and specters moving through shadow - The Shining, 1977

This one is a bit rubbery and petrol in the opening. Reminds me of vintage Bvlgari Black. It’s also rather like certain forms of oud. As it moves into the heart it remains very much reminiscent to me of oud. A little less petrol...more a rubbery wood accord. It's set against a gauzy, dusty cobweb backdrop. There's also something sharp against this atmosphere, something I can't quite pin down. It's bright and reminds me of ginger. This is one of the most abstract fragrances I've tried in a while.
    I noticed my sample vial of this was only half full...not sure if Redrum samples went out that way.

Ambiance rather than substance. Late evening fog and I too get the rubber note, but also a leather note, albeit distantly. Fuzzy or hazy smell, I can't find the note in my memory bank to further describe it.

Basenotes Plus

DEAD IS BETTER Sharp fir needles, cracked asphalt, wild blackberry thorn, grave mud, cold fur Pet Semetary, 1983

I really enjoyed the fir needles in the opening, very realistic. The bitumen of the asphalt is there, but its way in the background. I do like the blackberry note, it's hidden, but it's there. This is very much a forest/outdoors scent. As much as I hate to say it, this would be better suited for a scented candle as it reminds me of the time I rubbed one of those tree car fresheners on my clothing after a very long night out to try and smell presentable....but didn't work.

I noticed my sample vial of this was only half full...not sure if Redrum samples went out that way.

Ambiance rather than substance. Late evening fog and I too get the rubber note, but also a leather note, albeit distantly. Fuzzy or hazy smell, I can't find the note in my memory bank to further describe it.
    Redrum might be a premium fragrance. I believe that she half-fills the premium scent samples.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I just placed my Circle pre-order for MIND OVER MATTER from the fall collection. Very pleased with the club discount and chance to order before the rush. Her email for the Circle club noted they are currently running 10 - 12 days for each order. They've also brought back some

Has anyone submitted the fall and Halloween fragrances to the Basenotes directory yet? If not, I'll try to post them them this week.

I finished going through the Halloween samples and found two more winners! Going to pick those up once that collection is released for sale. My reviews:

A Very Chilling Halloween, the SIXTEEN92 2019 Halloween Collection

I absolutely adore the show Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the witch so it’s really neat that she used that as inspiration.

THE BOOK OF THE BEAST
    Listed Notes: Wet leaves, burned parchment, a roaring bonfire, inky night sky, a slice of leftover birthday cake

Opens smoky. The burnt edge of a paper. A dry sweetness but also contrasted against some dampness like a puddle of algae-coated water. I'm really digging this one. Odd but very interesting. It's a bit musky almost incense like and yet also something vaguely fruity in the drydown. It's quirky, maybe a bit avant-garde, but not overly. Full-bottle-worthy for me.

MALUM MALUS
    Listed Notes: Apple peel, autumn hayride, dense corn maze, sugar pumpkin, twisted bark

Another lovely gourmand. I get dry apple and hay with moderate sweetness. As time passes, it strikes me as apple cider and hay with a touch of woods. I like it. Good longevity and a beautiful dry down. It took me a while to recognize what the dry down reminded me of. It’s not exactly but it reminds me generally of gingerbread cookies although not as spicy. This will be perfect for late fall into winter. Sabrina can see...another bottle is in my future.

THE PATH OF NIGHT
    Listed Notes: Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskin

Petrol + incense. Something cool and woody. This is kind of a dizzying scent. Struck me as very synthetic. As it dries down it begins to remind me of the vinyl seats of a '72 Dodge Dart. Not great for my nose.

THANK THE DARK LORD
    Listed Notes: Spiced caramel toffees, soft wool scarf, witch's herbs, cardamom latte, a tray of warm cookies

This one reminds me of Psychokinesis which was the first Sixteen92 that I ever purchased. It’s like spicy caramel and warm bread fresh out of the oven. This is a very nice cold weather gourmand. The cardamom rises more as it dries giving this an even spicier kick. It leans a little more spicy than sweet this point. In fact the caramel accord has just a hint of bitterness to it. As it dries it gains a honied aspect. Overall this was a nice gourmand although I wish I had been able to pull more notes from it. It wasn’t quite as complex as I would like.

UNSEEN ARTS
    Listed Notes: Potion-stained vials, ancient stone floors, dusty relics, wisps of cauldron smoke, soft velvet, black vinyl

Rubbery and leather. Ambiguous. Sort of licorice? It was a bit unseen for me....
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 26th August 2019 at 08:18 PM.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I have submitted the Fall 2019 collection to the Missing Fragrance form. Unfortunately, it may take 6 months before they are added.
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 28th August 2019 at 01:44 AM.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Bad Reputation... Herbal, garden thing going on. Freshly machete-wacked weeds by a pond, type thing. I sure as hang-fire don't remember what "weed" smells like - "if" I did, this is more like "homegrown".
    Then... More like Sprite or 7-Up, than cherry cola, to my nose.
    Aldehydes mixed with grapefruit - odd but, true. Crushed bug guts. Gamey, old horsehide leather from decades ago.
    Very weird fragrance. And, I like it...

Basenotes Plus

I have submitted the Fall 2019 collection to the Missing Fragrance form. Unfortunately, it may take 6 months before the are added.
    Thank you for doing so!

Basenotes Plus

MIND OVER MATTER
    Official Notes: sheer vanilla, black tea with milk, silver iris and delicate lace slashed with bright red musk and glowing embers - Carrie, 1974

Oily, rich vanilla. Very dense and even gently musky. It's woven through with an herbal tea. A very nice balance between the two sides. Over time, I began to notice that it becomes creamy and a tiny bit powdery. The drydown brings out some nutty aspects which contrasts nicely with the sweetness. Really nice, I'll be snagging this one as soon as it's available.
    My final sample from this set. I honestly need to spend more time with it. I get the smell of slightly off milk with the tea note, it's not bad, just different....there is an herbal note I just can't place and it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out! Your description of 'nutty' is close, but again I'm at a loss for descriptive words. This one is a challenge for me and a delightful one at that!

Basenotes Plus

MALUM MALUS
    Listed Notes: Apple peel, autumn hayride, dense corn maze, sugar pumpkin, twisted bark

Another lovely gourmand. I get dry apple and hay with moderate sweetness. As time passes, it strikes me as apple cider and hay with a touch of woods. I like it. Good longevity and a beautiful dry down. It took me a while to recognize what the dry down reminded me of. It’s not exactly but it reminds me generally of gingerbread cookies although not as spicy. This will be perfect for late fall into winter. Sabrina can see...another bottle is in my future.

UNSEEN ARTS
    Listed Notes: Potion-stained vials, ancient stone floors, dusty relics, wisps of cauldron smoke, soft velvet, black vinyl

Rubbery and leather. Ambiguous. Sort of licorice? It was a bit unseen for me....
    Malum Malus - Really phenomenal truly Americana autumnal scent. Hot apple cider, yellow dried hay, a bit of toasted pumpkin seeds (okay, I made that up, but there is a slight toasted note), farmers market feel to it. Very nice. I hope this one comes in a hair scent or body wash...

Unseen Arts - Leather, metallic and stone dust, cold museum or stone basement/storage that hasn't been swept of cobwebs in a while, feels slightly damp, smell of diner style vinyl seating or LPs, I like this one a lot too!

I put in my order yesterday for 7.5ml parfum of Dead is Better and 6ml oil bottles of the fall rereleases minus Death by Stereo. I'll most likely be ordering the whole set of Halloween frags when they become available.

Malum Malus - Really phenomenal truly Americana autumnal scent. Hot apple cider, yellow dried hay, a bit of toasted pumpkin seeds (okay, I made that up, but there is a slight toasted note), farmers market feel to it. Very nice. I hope this one comes in a hair scent or body wash...

Unseen Arts - Leather, metallic and stone dust, cold museum or stone basement/storage that hasn't been swept of cobwebs in a while, feels slightly damp, smell of diner style vinyl seating or LPs, I like this one a lot too!
    Glad you like the Malum Malus. That's on my list to pick up.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I put in my order yesterday for 7.5ml parfum of Dead is Better and 6ml oil bottles of the fall rereleases minus Death by Stereo. I'll most likely be ordering the whole set of Halloween frags when they become available.
    Very nice. Congrats!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

THE BOOK OF THE BEAST
    Listed Notes: Wet leaves, burned parchment, a roaring bonfire, inky night sky, a slice of leftover birthday cake

Opens smoky. The burnt edge of a paper. A dry sweetness but also contrasted against some dampness like a puddle of algae-coated water. I'm really digging this one. Odd but very interesting. It's a bit musky almost incense like and yet also something vaguely fruity in the drydown. It's quirky, maybe a bit avant-garde, but not overly. Full-bottle-worthy for me.

THE PATH OF NIGHT
    Listed Notes: Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskin

Petrol + incense. Something cool and woody. This is kind of a dizzying scent. Struck me as very synthetic. As it dries down it begins to remind me of the vinyl seats of a '72 Dodge Dart. Not great for my nose.

THANK THE DARK LORD
    Listed Notes: Spiced caramel toffees, soft wool scarf, witch's herbs, cardamom latte, a tray of warm cookies

This one reminds me of Psychokinesis which was the first Sixteen92 that I ever purchased. It’s like spicy caramel and warm bread fresh out of the oven. This is a very nice cold weather gourmand. The cardamom rises more as it dries giving this an even spicier kick. It leans a little more spicy than sweet this point. In fact the caramel accord has just a hint of bitterness to it. As it dries it gains a honied aspect. Overall this was a nice gourmand although I wish I had been able to pull more notes from it. It wasn’t quite as complex as I would like.
    My last three from this set...

The Book of the Beast
    Jux - you summed it up with your notes on the dot. Nothing more to add.

The Path of the Night
    I know just the friend who would love this....but not me. Smell of polypropylene, resin, deep woody notes.

Thank the Dark Lord
    Yankee Candle shop or the smell of the Cracker Barrel front store shopping area during the fall/autumn. Silage is very very potent and I was asked if I had a scented candle burning. Very similar to so many other scented items out there. Interesting sugary gourmand though.

My end thoughts on both the fall and Halloween sample sets. Many of these were not to my tastes. While I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and the atmospherical ones, I enjoyed Mind over Matter and Redrum the most. The Sabrina set was just 'okay' for me.

Any suggestions for the Falloween's Greatest Hits collection?

My last three from this set...

The Book of the Beast
    Jux - you summed it up with your notes on the dot. Nothing more to add.

The Path of the Night
    I know just the friend who would love this....but not me. Smell of polypropylene, resin, deep woody notes.

Thank the Dark Lord
    Yankee Candle shop or the smell of the Cracker Barrel front store shopping area during the fall/autumn. Silage is very very potent and I was asked if I had a scented candle burning. Very similar to so many other scented items out there. Interesting sugary gourmand though.

My end thoughts on both the fall and Halloween sample sets. Many of these were not to my tastes. While I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and the atmospherical ones, I enjoyed Mind over Matter and Redrum the most. The Sabrina set was just 'okay' for me.

Any suggestions for the Falloween's Greatest Hits collection?
    I just saw the Falloween's Greatest Hits Collection. I have never tried any of those, so no suggestion from me. But strangely, I never got a pre-release code or link for the Falloween Collection 2019. I plan to get two of them, but I've emailed her for the code.

GREATEST HITS re-released:

BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD - Clove bud, tobacco absolute, smoked vanilla resin, flame (Fall 2015 -- premium)

DEATH BY STEREO! - Night air on the boardwalk, spun sugar and cider, melted ice cream, cannabis accord, whirling tendrils of nag champa (Halloween 2017)

(EVERY DAY IS) HALLOWEEN - An overflowing candy pail, the crunch of leather boots on fallen leaves, cold stones, damp air and a wisp of bonfire smoke (Fall 2015)

MINA HARKER - Cold jasmine tea, ripe plum, black violets, pale skin musk (Fall 2017)

NEVER TRUST THE LIVING - Ceremonial resins, tea leaves, stone statues, graveyard dirt, ectoplasm, weathered books, attic dust, autumn foliage (Halloween 2017 limited edition - premium)
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Ah, Claire replied to me. Kind of confusing but they released the Halloween Greatest hits but Halloween 2019 is not yet released, that's why I don't have the code yet.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Death by Stereo is great. I love the incense smell from the nag Champa. It's got a sweetness to it as well

Are the 30 ml bottles of Sixteen92 parfums spray bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Are the 30 ml bottles of Sixteen92 parfums spray bottles?
    Yes they are. The extrait roll-ons are only available in 6 or 10 ML sizes.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Thank you for the information. I placed my first order with them a couple of weeks ago (for 5 different bottles of 7.5 ml parfums and 3 different bottles of 10 ml roll-ons). The 30 ml bottles of all of the fragrances were sold out at the time. It will probably be a couple of more weeks before I receive the fragrances. In any event, I am considering purchasing a 30 ml bottle of Dead is Better because of my love for green/pine/fir dominated scents. From the notes, it sounds like it might be in the same family as Blackbird by Olympic Orchids (although I could be way off base, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Thank you for the information. I placed my first order with them a couple of weeks ago (for 5 different bottles of 7.5 ml parfums and 3 different bottles of 10 ml roll-ons). The 30 ml bottles of all of the fragrances were sold out at the time. It will probably be a couple of more weeks before I receive the fragrances. In any event, I am considering purchasing a 30 ml bottle of Dead is Better because of my love for green/pine/fir dominated scents. From the notes, it sounds like it might be in the same family as Blackbird by Olympic Orchids (although I could be way off base, of course).
    Congrats on your purchases. I have a few of her extraits/oils, and they are very nice, but I do go for the parfums whenever they are available because they tend to have greater silage. I have never tried Blackbird, but these were my notes on Dead is Better: A tart berry. Almost juniper like and sweet. Crisp pine. Not getting much evolution or range on this one at this point. The drydown in about four to five hours is a skin scent, but it lasted and lasted tenaciously. I get a hint of earthiness and pine and thatís about it. Overall this one was a little too weak for me. MIND OVER MATTER was my favorite from the Fall 2019 collection, and I also have two from the Halloween collection I'm going to pounce on as soon as she releases them.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I feel like I've been following this thread forever, but often the range and constantly fluctuating stock of the brand has been a turn -off. But the notes for the Fall and Halloween collections were too interesting to me to pass up, so I'm finally going to give them a try!
    Hoping I'll like them enough to want to sample more—I have my eye on the Dark sample set of parfums.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast