Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrmorel View Post
    I feel like I've been following this thread forever, but often the range and constantly fluctuating stock of the brand has been a turn -off. But the notes for the Fall and Halloween collections were too interesting to me to pass up, so I'm finally going to give them a try!
    Hoping I'll like them enough to want to sample more—I have my eye on the Dark sample set of parfums.
    Long time listener, first time caller? Welcome and thanks for joining us. I know this house isn't for everyone, but I'm hooked on it.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes Plus

I feel like I've been following this thread forever, but often the range and constantly fluctuating stock of the brand has been a turn -off. But the notes for the Fall and Halloween collections were too interesting to me to pass up, so I'm finally going to give them a try!
    Hoping I'll like them enough to want to sample more—I have my eye on the Dark sample set of parfums.
    I hear you. I wanted to purchase Supercell when it was limited release, but it was sold out way too fast. I'm just going to have to sit on my hands waiting until the Resurrection next year. I lucked out with Baker Street as a complete blind buy (still a favorite!).

After reading some of the Sixteen92 reviews on a number of Reddit threads, I may have to add some more to my wish list for next year. Helps when you find another reviewer with similar tastes to yours.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Trying out Book of the Beast this evening. Opens a bit like the dry down of Cotton Mather - a kind of warm, smoky-sweet earthy accord that brings to mind the helichrysum note in CM. The burning paper is in there, like the musty-vanillic pages of an old book catching fire. After a while it gets more earthy - I really like the wet leaves note. It reminds me of something from Demeter, whose Thunderstorm and Dirt fragrances I own and love. I'm not a huge fan of the "fresh bread" accord that pops up in a lot of Sixteen92 stuff, but it shows up subtly in this one in a way that works well. Overall I enjoyed the balance of warm, sweet notes and wet, earthy notes. Not FBW for me, but certainly enjoyable to test out.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Trying out Book of the Beast this evening. Opens a bit like the dry down of Cotton Mather - a kind of warm, smoky-sweet earthy accord that brings to mind the helichrysum note in CM. The burning paper is in there, like the musty-vanillic pages of an old book catching fire. After a while it gets more earthy - I really like the wet leaves note. It reminds me of something from Demeter, whose Thunderstorm and Dirt fragrances I own and love. I'm not a huge fan of the "fresh bread" accord that pops up in a lot of Sixteen92 stuff, but it shows up subtly in this one in a way that works well. Overall I enjoyed the balance of warm, sweet notes and wet, earthy notes. Not FBW for me, but certainly enjoyable to test out.
    Great review. Glad you're enjoying these right off the bat!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

fake-out country

............................. where i'd like to visit one day ♥
    Blog Entries

I too, wish the current offerings would "stick around longer".. Every time I fall in love with something, after a test or two, they "go away". I wait too long before ordering and that, is usually only a couple of months and then they are gone! No fair!

Youth Gone wild...

Brand-new, record album straight from the store, freshly opened. Slight plastic / cellophane smell. Vinyl. Paper. Something candied. Ionized air. Hot lights or something electrical. Old wood, that sat in flood-water for a time. The soles of a new pair of Converse, high-top sneakers. Very interesting fragrance, this!

I suppose I would wear this every now and then, if I had a free bottle. It's more of an artsy thing than wearable frequently.

Claire does a lot of these artsy things.

I smell vanilla things here, later. More rubber even later on. Overall, this is playful.

Vanilla, wood, and rubber merge. Last a long time.

Ok, well I think I've found a FBW winner - Dead Is Better. Tried this one today and immediately fell in love. Reminds me a lot of E Lucevan Le Stelle but with an added blackberry bush note. I saw blackberry bush because it isn't just the fruit, it's the whole plant. A nice mix of dark, sweet fruit and leafy greens. Otherwise it has a great wet pavement/grass type note - cool, crisp emerald green, like laying your head down on a pillow of damp moss in the middle of the night. The pine needle note wasn't as strong as I hoped and mostly appeared in the opening. The dry down gets more into fruity territory with maybe a wee bit of something musky to evoke the "cold fur." Otherwise fairly linear. Reminds me of Gucci Acqua di Fiori but less fruity and floral. Will definitely be ordering a 30 ml bottle of this one - my first full bottle from Sixteen92!

Que scay-je?

Ok, well I think I've found a FBW winner - Dead Is Better. Tried this one today and immediately fell in love. Reminds me a lot of E Lucevan Le Stelle but with an added blackberry bush note. I saw blackberry bush because it isn't just the fruit, it's the whole plant. A nice mix of dark, sweet fruit and leafy greens. Otherwise it has a great wet pavement/grass type note - cool, crisp emerald green, like laying your head down on a pillow of damp moss in the middle of the night. The pine needle note wasn't as strong as I hoped and mostly appeared in the opening. The dry down gets more into fruity territory with maybe a wee bit of something musky to evoke the "cold fur." Otherwise fairly linear. Reminds me of Gucci Acqua di Fiori but less fruity and floral. Will definitely be ordering a 30 ml bottle of this one - my first full bottle from Sixteen92!
    Nice! Glad you found a favorite.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Tried Unseen Arts yesterday; overall I liked this one but the performance was somewhat weak. Another exploration of the plasticky vinyl note that shows up in a few other creations (Youth Gone Wild) but with some more supporting players. I thought Youth Gone Wild was almost too strongly vinyl-y, so this is a nice kind of atmospheric, earthy take on the same note. There's something vaguely incense-y about this, giving some warm depth to the cold, unhuman vinyl and concrete type notes, sometimes coming across a bit gas-like. Feels kind of like if Amouge's incense accords and Comme des Garcons' industrial accords had a baby. I'd be curious to test out the parfum version just to see if it has better projection, but the relative subtlety is a bit of a strike against it. Still enjoyed testing anyway!

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Plus

This showed on their Facebook feed....interesting....

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 4.42.14 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    This showed on their Facebook feed....interesting....

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 4.42.14 PM.jpg
    Intriguing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Area 51 theme most likely

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    I had the same thought. Something “storm Area 51” related. Hope there’s some sort of outer space atmospheric offering.

Que scay-je?

Sampled Redrum this afternoon/evening. Wasn't sure what this was going to be like based on the notes, but I was pleasantly surprised, and it took some interesting twists and turns. In the opening I definitely got the "champagne" note, which quickly became a kind of fruity, oud-y nail polish type smell. I've always secretly enjoyed the smell of nail polish, and this has the sort of fruity but also chemical-y elements of that scent. In the heart it becomes a mix of the aforementioned notes and some incense, then in the dry down it turns into a warm, ambery incense. I can see how the ambery incense base adds to the oud impression in the opening, but it's definitely a different experience once it's the only thing left at the end.

Que scay-je?

I had the same thought. Something “storm Area 51” related. Hope there’s some sort of outer space atmospheric offering.
    Ohhhh, good guessing. I thought perhaps X-Files theme.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Sampled Redrum this afternoon/evening. Wasn't sure what this was going to be like based on the notes, but I was pleasantly surprised, and it took some interesting twists and turns. In the opening I definitely got the "champagne" note, which quickly became a kind of fruity, oud-y nail polish type smell. I've always secretly enjoyed the smell of nail polish, and this has the sort of fruity but also chemical-y elements of that scent. In the heart it becomes a mix of the aforementioned notes and some incense, then in the dry down it turns into a warm, ambery incense. I can see how the ambery incense base adds to the oud impression in the opening, but it's definitely a different experience once it's the only thing left at the end.
    Redrum grew on me and it smelled better on paper than on my skin.

I'm a bit confused...does anyone know when the new Halloween frags are being released?

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I'm a bit confused...does anyone know when the new Halloween frags are being released?
    Had to read the fine print of their email: late September or early October for Halloween.

Had to read the fine print of their email: late September or early October for Halloween.
    Thanks for figuring that out! I've got two from that set on my to-buy list.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Just reviewed Necromancy; copied and pasted the review below if anyone is interested:

"Necromancy starts off very sweet and dark. The "funeral flowers" note -- carnation, as astutely pointed out by Shycat -- is the loudest voice in the opening, but doesn't really get to its crescendo right off the rip. A couple of minutes after spraying, it picks up strength and becomes more pronounced and brighter, overshadowing the benzoin and incense that dominate the initial few minutes. As far as the smell of a funeral home during a viewing...I'd say that this is a pretty good representation.

The benzoin and incense give it a warm backdrop, though it does eventually lose that warmth, becoming, in my opinion, very similar to the scent of an empty funeral home. Imagine fresh floral arrangements in an empty, old house. Clean, but without the smell of cleaning supplies. Flowers surrounded by utter stagnation.

I'd say it's unisex but leans on the feminine side, though I'm not sure if I really want to smell like a mortuary outside of a Halloween party. This falls under the category of "experiential fragrances" for me, and as far as taking an olfactory voyage, Necromancy certainly did its job. Like a good horror film, the trip was a bit unpleasant and brought up some not-to-happy memories...but that's the whole reason I wanted to try it. Nice creativity.

Thumbs up on this one."
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

And lo and behold! I just received my Circle pre-order link and ordered Malum Malus and Book of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    Just reviewed Necromancy; copied and pasted the review below if anyone is interested:

"Necromancy starts off very sweet and dark. The "funeral flowers" note -- carnation, as astutely pointed out by Shycat -- is the loudest voice in the opening, but doesn't really get to its crescendo right off the rip. A couple of minutes after spraying, it picks up strength and becomes more pronounced and brighter, overshadowing the benzoin and incense that dominate the initial few minutes. As far as the smell of a funeral home during a viewing...I'd say that this is a pretty good representation.

The benzoin and incense give it a warm backdrop, though it does eventually lose that warmth, becoming, in my opinion, very similar to the scent of an empty funeral home. Imagine fresh floral arrangements in an empty, old house. Clean, but without the smell of cleaning supplies. Flowers surrounded by utter stagnation.

I'd say it's unisex but leans on the feminine side, though I'm not sure if I really want to smell like a mortuary outside of a Halloween party. This falls under the category of "experiential fragrances" for me, and as far as taking an olfactory voyage, Necromancy certainly did its job. Like a good horror film, the trip was a bit unpleasant and brought up some not-to-happy memories...but that's the whole reason I wanted to try it. Nice creativity.

Thumbs up on this one."
    Wonderful review!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

From their Instagram page. This one looks awesome! Exactly the kind of alien atmospheric scent I was hoping for. 3C7C520E-23C5-48E9-8E61-BBD14174F4BF.jpg

Que scay-je?

Screenshot_20190909-112037_Samsung Internet.jpg

Coming on Friday the 13th as well

Honestly, the amount of things she puts out is kind of turning me off, simply because I can't afford it all haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Wonderful review!
    Thank you!

Reviewed Salem, as well. Copy and paste of the review is below:

"Salem starts off more Christmas-y than expected, mainly due to a big wallop of a quite sweet clove on the first sniff, giving this a semi-cheerful vibe. It smells like a Yankee Candle store, to be honest. Patience is a virtue in life and a necessity in perfumery, so I wait to see what unfolds.

Slowly but surely the sweetness in the clove, and then the clove itself, begins to fade and I pick up wisps of what's listed as "bonfire smoke," though it smells more like standard, wood-burning fireplace chimney smoke, in my opinion. Less Christmas, more early-mid November at this point. The birch wood note becomes more apparent, reminding me of old homes I've been in; those that were made in the 19th century. That really old, unfinished wood smell. The scent doesn't really evolve any more beyond that, and just starts to fade from then on.

I didn't pick up on the leather, but I did pick up some of the church incense. This brings me to real the crux of the issue I have with Salem: I think this would be a wonderful fragrance except for the fact that the clove note is just chewing up the scenery here. If that clove was dialed back enough to give the other notes the room to sing, this could be really good.

As is, I'll give it a neutral. It's almost there."
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Honestly, the amount of things she puts out is kind of turning me off, simply because I can't afford it all haha.
    Haha it’s a blessing and a curse I suppose. I was going to get a bottle of DeadIs Better, but the Area 51frag might take precedence...

Que scay-je?

So cool!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Hmm...
    Bruised Violet: is actually bruised with smudges of violet leaf absolute, way more than iris note, powdery, initially more lipsticky, later more mellow and smooth.
    The idea has definite merit but why didn't she develop the base more solidly. This is something that can/could have stood upto Guerlain's Petit Robe despite the fact they are different perfumes but underlying mass appeal connotations are the same. Base is wobbly, feels like an empty construct.

Ah, now this one is a surprise.
    (Every day is) Halloween - this has faint leathery-asphalt accord (but NO smoke, mind you), a campherous-woody note that has depth and a submerged feel to it. And still the top waddles with a humming cotton candy, this is a definite umami note. Makes me wonder did she use an orivone like compound but did not add any irones? Well, one can wonder. I need to spend more time with it. Very promising.

Actually, when I layer both these scents on top of one another, they are better together, like light and dark entangled.
    If I could say one thing to Claire Baxter, it would be... please slow down a bit.
    Take time to make your perfumes more firm, less holographic and frazzled, for the scent-combinations used are startling.

I have Shadow show and Wicked to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Moncreiff View Post
    Hmm...
    Bruised Violet: is actually bruised with smudges of violet leaf absolute, way more than iris note, powdery, initially more lipsticky, later more mellow and smooth.
    The idea has definite merit but why didn't she develop the base more solidly. This is something that can/could have stood upto Guerlain's Petit Robe despite the fact they are different perfumes but underlying mass appeal connotations are the same. Base is wobbly, feels like an empty construct.

Ah, now this one is a surprise.
    (Every day is) Halloween - this has faint leathery-asphalt accord (but NO smoke, mind you), a campherous-woody note that has depth and a submerged feel to it. And still the top waddles with a humming cotton candy, this is a definite umami note. Makes me wonder did she use an orivone like compound but did not add any irones? Well, one can wonder. I need to spend more time with it. Very promising.

Actually, when I layer both these scents on top of one another, they are better together, like light and dark entangled.
    If I could say one thing to Claire Baxter, it would be... please slow down a bit.
    Take time to make your perfumes more firm, less holographic and frazzled, for the scent-combinations used are startling.

I have Shadow show and Wicked to try next.
    I own Wicked. Very nice, simple scent.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

I have to admit I'm really put off by the 'available for only one day' special fragrance sales pitch. My budget doesn't work that way.

Wicked: eh, none too wicked, I dare say.
    I almost wanted to say starts with a whimper, ends with a bigger sigh.
    But, this is centred around a true patchouli note, has vapoury aerosol, medicinal air to it, bitter almond oil when first encountered has that same feel (maybe I am wrong).
    Somewhere she must have cut it with some sweet/ambery notes because otherwise it was too medicinal, the patchouli is subdued but raw.
    No sillage at all.
    Not bad but would I want to have it... nah.

After tesing I went to see what was said about it on the site and there was some Emily Bronte poetry written, also saw it is a best seller.
    Makes me wonder, what am I missing.
    Perhaps this kind of atmospheric work does not have appeal to me.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast