Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I have to admit I'm really put off by the 'available for only one day' special fragrance sales pitch. My budget doesn't work that way.
    Here's another thing that's rubbing me the wrong way. I was planning on ordering 3 of the Halloween scents today, but now I want to get the several of the Friday the 13th scents as well. Do I risk the Halloween scents I want going oos while I wait for Friday to get here so I can do one order, or do I do two orders and pay for shipping twice?

In the Halloween pre-order email she says she’s happy to combine orders, so you could place an order now and wait for it to ship with an order on Friday the 13th. Honestly, I doubt anything will sell out this early except some of the bath and body seasonal items.

Perhaps this kind of atmospheric work does not have appeal to me.
    I notice that the scents you’ve been sampling are some of her earlier releases. Personally, I think her craftsmanship has continued to improved over the years, and is particularly noticeable in the increase in complex and atmospheric scents. I would highly suggest trying some of the releases from this year or the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by xeru View Post
    In the Halloween pre-order email she says she’s happy to combine orders, so you could place an order now and wait for it to ship with an order on Friday the 13th. Honestly, I doubt anything will sell out this early except some of the bath and body seasonal items.
    That's what I get for reading the whole email. Some of the EdP's are sold out already.

I received my bottle of MIND OVER MATTER today, and she included a free sample of Bella Lugosi's Dead, which I've never tried. The Fall scents are still not in the database unfortunately...probably take many months. Would be great if anyone else wants to also submit them.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Shadow show: fruity-hay-malty aroma... and a definite popcorn note.
    No shadows that I can see.
    And then dwindles into more warmth with a faint petrol fume note, which disappears by 10 minutes. From there on, fruity skin scent.
    Eh. Not much more to say.

The Friday the 13th Collection is available today only:

New for today's release:
    GROOM LAKE: an otherworldly juxtaposition of boundless desert skies and manufactured isolation.
    Arid scrub, creosote, empty night sky, yucca bloom, high desert air, aircraft fuel, barbed wire, dim fluorescent hum, Element 115, sanitized metal, [ ||||||||| REDACTED ||||||||| ]

Also available with the release are the previous five Friday the 13th fragrances:
    HELIOPHOBIA
    HESSIAN OF THE HOLLOW
    I BELIEVE IN MARY WORTH
    LYCANTHROPE
    THE VANISHING HITCHHIKER

Also now released are the Halloween 2019 frags. Five brand new fragrances inspired by Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
    Available in Perfume oil extrait (including discovery sets), Parfum (7.5ml and 30ml), AURA Room & Linen Mist, SuperNatural Hair Serum, Detangling Hair Mist, and Texturizing Sea Salt Hair Mist

THE BOOK OF THE BEAST // Wet leaves, burned parchment, a roaring bonfire, inky night sky, a slice of leftover birthday cake
    MALUM MALUS // Apple peel, autumn hayride, dense corn maze, sugar pumpkin, twisted bark
    THE PATH OF NIGHT // Black oak & acorn, blood moon, sticky benzoin, frankincense tears, votive candles, cold snakeskin (premium)
    THANK THE DARK LORD // Spiced caramel toffees, soft wool scarf, witch’s herbs, cardamom latte, a tray of warm cookies
    UNSEEN ARTS // Potion-stained vials, ancient stone floors, dusty relics, wisps of cauldron smoke, soft velvet, black vinyl (premium)
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

I have also now submitted the Halloween 2019 fragrances to the database. If anyone wants to reinforce that but also submitting them, it might get the submission more attention: http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Yay! Ordered me some Formula 86 today. Just 6ml but, that will keep me happy for days to come...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Book of the Beast... Vanilla fudge, cooking on the stove. Wet, parchment paper. Cold, damp cellar, after a heavy rain, where the ground water has seeped indoors, between the stones and mortar.

Dampness continues as the vanilla becomes smoky. I'm tricked into believing I smell a cool, evening in late Fall.

Stays linear for awhile. All "notes" merge into one thing, like a well-made, wet-style [liquid] incense. 3 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Yay! Ordered me some Formula 86 today. Just 6ml but, that will keep me happy for days to come...
    Nice. I love this one.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Nice! I got 6ml of Groom Lake. Very excited for this one. I love her atmospheric and industrial fragrances, so this one was an easy blind buy for me. Anyone else order it? I'll be posting my thoughts when it arrives, curious to hear from others as well!

Que scay-je?

Hey guys and gals. I'm back from my short stint of not being allowed here. Was bummed I wasn't able to post on the 13th. I picked up bottles of Hessian of the Hollow, Vanishing Hitchhiker, and Groom Lake. I'll probably be picking up Lycanthrope next month on Friday the 13th.

I’m glad you’re back.
    Didn’t like seeing that ‘b’ word.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Hey guys and gals. I'm back from my short stint of not being allowed here. Was bummed I wasn't able to post on the 13th. I picked up bottles of Hessian of the Hollow, Vanishing Hitchhiker, and Groom Lake. I'll probably be picking up Lycanthrope next month on Friday the 13th.
    Bummer, but congrats on your haul and glad you're back.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Path of the Night

Smells like someone placed band-aids on a tree leaking sap. Weird. Love it already! Very unusual woody thing, to start. A sinister mix of pine tar, creosote, asphalt, and medium-cade oil, all slung into one, un-cleaned, overly used science beaker. A hint of cat-urine in the background.

Gasoline-soaked incense. Minute sweetness - man, I dig this funky ride. Arty, creative - fun for sampling. I don't think I'd wear this at a place of employment. Out in the gen-pop, perhaps - shock the tourists, so to speak.

Boiling hot benzoin. Northern Africa desert-dry incense / frankincense. More smoked, dry wood.

Smooths out into a blazing fireplace, campfire, or bonfire. Comfortable skank in the middle. Reminds me of late October. Smells like, how, smoke residue sticks to your clothing. Or old wool with a smoldering residue.

Becomes linear later. Smells a bit more chemical-like. Overall, pretty god stuff. Four stars, from me!

The Path of the Night

Smells like someone placed band-aids on a tree leaking sap. Weird. Love it already! Very unusual woody thing, to start. A sinister mix of pine tar, creosote, asphalt, and medium-cade oil, all slung into one, un-cleaned, overly used science beaker. A hint of cat-urine in the background.

Gasoline-soaked incense. Minute sweetness - man, I dig this funky ride. Arty, creative - fun for sampling. I don't think I'd wear this at a place of employment. Out in the gen-pop, perhaps - shock the tourists, so to speak.

Boiling hot benzoin. Northern Africa desert-dry incense / frankincense. More smoked, dry wood.

Smooths out into a blazing fireplace, campfire, or bonfire. Comfortable skank in the middle. Reminds me of late October. Smells like, how, smoke residue sticks to your clothing. Or old wool with a smoldering residue.

Becomes linear later. Smells a bit more chemical-like. Overall, pretty god stuff. Four stars, from me!
    Wow. What an epic review. Love it. Thanks for sharing, HOP!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I finally got my sample sets after a week-long hold up by USPS. I've been testing the Fall 2019 Collection first during some down time at work... I'm sad to report I don't love them. No offense to those who do. Here are my impressions—

Darkness Was Enough

A sweet and floral saffron opening supported by some dim and dark resins and an earthy, musty decay. There’s a weird play between sweet and savory here—the sweetness disappears after a little bit and the spice really comes out.

Dead Is Better

An unfortunate pine candle opening, sweet and cold and begging to be slapped with a snowflake label and sold at the holidays. A little too cliche without adding anything new. Smells generic and only is only made more so by its run of the mill white musk dry-down.

Losers Club

Now this one is haunting…. As in, I think it has inhabited my body and will never leave, no matter how much I scrub it off. It starts with a buttery, caramel corn sweetness and a faint atmospheric hum. It’s weirdly sinister as it burns off, leaving a fluffy aerated sugar with a metallic glint behind. I find this perfume to be in bad taste, in a cheesy fun fair sort of way. It’s sort of enjoyable at the start, but by the end, I’ve eaten too much sugar and can’t shake the headache its left behind. Not putting this one on again… Sample, anyone?

Mind Over Matter

That popcorn note appears at the start here, a little less buttery and more toasted. It evolves quite quickly—after a few minutes its become an antique store potpourri, warm and heady and a little over-the-top, vaguely cinnamon and dried orange. A sharp vanilla sweetness emerges after that, with some breadiness. I expected this one to be more of a play between warm and cold, but it’s pretty even in tone—that tone being a high C. Way too screechy for me.

Redrum

This has a very different tone than the others in this collection, in part because it feels like the most traditional fragrance. The champagne accord is fun, although its a bit flat and could maybe use some more sparkle. There’s a clean floral thing happening somewhere in here, along with a gauzy musk and polished wood. I feel compelled to think of another Shining-referenced perfume, Bruno Fazzolari’s Room 237, and I feel like I can project a similar vinyl shower curtain note here. It’s still a little too sweet and sharp for me, though it runs a bit cooler, which I like.

tl;dr
    Darkness Was Enough is probalby my favorite of these—certainly the most my style. It's the only one I might consider wearing out the sample of, though not enough to go beyond that. Redrum takes second place, but in the end its surprisingly generic. Who'd have thought...

If anyone is dying to try any of these, get in touch with me. Don't think I need to keep these around.

Falloween Greatest Hits are next. I hope to have a more positive experience....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmorel View Post
    I finally got my sample sets after a week-long hold up by USPS. I've been testing the Fall 2019 Collection first during some down time at work... I'm sad to report I don't love them. No offense to those who do. Here are my impressions—

Darkness Was Enough

A sweet and floral saffron opening supported by some dim and dark resins and an earthy, musty decay. There’s a weird play between sweet and savory here—the sweetness disappears after a little bit and the spice really comes out.

Dead Is Better

An unfortunate pine candle opening, sweet and cold and begging to be slapped with a snowflake label and sold at the holidays. A little too cliche without adding anything new. Smells generic and only is only made more so by its run of the mill white musk dry-down.

Losers Club

Now this one is haunting…. As in, I think it has inhabited my body and will never leave, no matter how much I scrub it off. It starts with a buttery, caramel corn sweetness and a faint atmospheric hum. It’s weirdly sinister as it burns off, leaving a fluffy aerated sugar with a metallic glint behind. I find this perfume to be in bad taste, in a cheesy fun fair sort of way. It’s sort of enjoyable at the start, but by the end, I’ve eaten too much sugar and can’t shake the headache its left behind. Not putting this one on again… Sample, anyone?

Mind Over Matter

That popcorn note appears at the start here, a little less buttery and more toasted. It evolves quite quickly—after a few minutes its become an antique store potpourri, warm and heady and a little over-the-top, vaguely cinnamon and dried orange. A sharp vanilla sweetness emerges after that, with some breadiness. I expected this one to be more of a play between warm and cold, but it’s pretty even in tone—that tone being a high C. Way too screechy for me.

Redrum

This has a very different tone than the others in this collection, in part because it feels like the most traditional fragrance. The champagne accord is fun, although its a bit flat and could maybe use some more sparkle. There’s a clean floral thing happening somewhere in here, along with a gauzy musk and polished wood. I feel compelled to think of another Shining-referenced perfume, Bruno Fazzolari’s Room 237, and I feel like I can project a similar vinyl shower curtain note here. It’s still a little too sweet and sharp for me, though it runs a bit cooler, which I like.

tl;dr
    Darkness Was Enough is probalby my favorite of these—certainly the most my style. It's the only one I might consider wearing out the sample of, though not enough to go beyond that. Redrum takes second place, but in the end its surprisingly generic. Who'd have thought...

If anyone is dying to try any of these, get in touch with me. Don't think I need to keep these around.

Falloween Greatest Hits are next. I hope to have a more positive experience....
    Appreciate your honesty, no worries. I get very different notes out of Mind Over Matter than you do, but that just shows how different everyone's olfactory experiences can be.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Wow. What an epic review. Love it. Thanks for sharing, HOP!

Thanks! Sometimes I get carried away in relaying my thoughts. A lot of Claire's scents are so evocative, don't you think?

Thanks! Sometimes I get carried away in relaying my thoughts. A lot of Claire's scents are so evocative, don't you think?
    Indeed they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thank The Dark Lord... Dark Lord of the bakery! Mad scientist of cookies! Alchemist of treats! LOL! Mom's kitchen smells of long ago. Sweet, starchy, crunchy feel. The crushed, dried herbs underneath add an interesting twist.

More, then stronger, cookie notes. The slightest coffee accord. Slight spice. Overall, yummy!

Thank The Dark Lord... Dark Lord of the bakery! Mad scientist of cookies! Alchemist of treats! LOL! Mom's kitchen smells of long ago. Sweet, starchy, crunchy feel. The crushed, dried herbs underneath add an interesting twist.

More, then stronger, cookie notes. The slightest coffee accord. Slight spice. Overall, yummy!

I liked this one too!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Got my bottle of Groom Lake in the mail yesterday, giving it a full wearing today. This one is much more tame than I was expecting - given the note list:

Arid scrub, creosote, empty night sky, yucca bloom, high desert air, aircraft fuel, barbed wire, dim fluorescent hum, Element 115, sanitized metal, ❚❚❚❚❚❚REDACTED❚❚❚❚❚

I was expecting something industrial, weird, dry/herbaceous, but this is much friendlier than that. Very much so in the vein of E Lucevan le Stelle and Dead Is Better, a cool, green foresty affair. Where E Lucevan has an undertone of wet, cold pavement, and DIB has a fruity blackberry undertone, this one does have a subtle supporting element that recalls the vinyl note used in other Sixteen92 frags like Youth Gone Wild. The focus is on the green notes though, and this ends up having the effect of something like a mossy extraterrestrial chypre. Not what I was expecting, but a pleasant surprise all the same!

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Got my bottle of Groom Lake in the mail yesterday, giving it a full wearing today. This one is much more tame than I was expecting - given the note list:

Arid scrub, creosote, empty night sky, yucca bloom, high desert air, aircraft fuel, barbed wire, dim fluorescent hum, Element 115, sanitized metal, ❚❚❚❚❚❚REDACTED❚❚❚❚❚

I was expecting something industrial, weird, dry/herbaceous, but this is much friendlier than that. Very much so in the vein of E Lucevan le Stelle and Dead Is Better, a cool, green foresty affair. Where E Lucevan has an undertone of wet, cold pavement, and DIB has a fruity blackberry undertone, this one does have a subtle supporting element that recalls the vinyl note used in other Sixteen92 frags like Youth Gone Wild. The focus is on the green notes though, and this ends up having the effect of something like a mossy extraterrestrial chypre. Not what I was expecting, but a pleasant surprise all the same!
    Sounds really nice! I'm still waiting on my two bottles from the Halloween collection.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Hey people, where do I start with this house? I typically favor Orientals and woods and spices. Resinous or balsamic can be great.
    Currently wearing: Imitation Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Hey people, where do I start with this house? I typically favor Orientals and woods and spices. Resinous or balsamic can be great.
    I would suggest starting with the recently released parfum sample sets. There are two options...so see what might appeal to you more.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Try a sample of Wicked, if it is available.

I was rummaging through some samples and pulled out Last Exit for the Lost, I forgot how nice of a green apple scent this is. I don't really get anything other than the green apple, but it's juicy and succelent, gorgeous.

I went ahead and ordered the 30ml extrait and a 7ml of Vlad Dracul, and Claire was nice enough to agree to send a sample of The Fall of the House of Usher too. Now just to wait for the obscenely long processing time haha...

Quote Originally Posted by junior_surgeon View Post
    I was rummaging through some samples and pulled out Last Exit for the Lost, I forgot how nice of a green apple scent this is. I don't really get anything other than the green apple, but it's juicy and succelent, gorgeous.

I went ahead and ordered the 30ml extrait and a 7ml of Vlad Dracul, and Claire was nice enough to agree to send a sample of The Fall of the House of Usher too. Now just to wait for the obscenely long processing time haha...
    Very nice! I love LAST EXIT...the apple is fantastic in, but I do also get a fresh greenness and modest hay and wood. Not strong, but a nice complement to the apple. Vlad is great!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast