Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    A sample set of the fall fragrances is now available: https://sixteen92.com/products/fall-...ion-sample-set
    Just ordered the new Falloween sample set, a 7.5 ml of Wicked parfum (it's back in stock), and samples of Southern gothic, Salem, Vlad Dracul, Grimm, and I Saw Goody Proctor With The Devil.
    Currently wearing: Delice by Micallef

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Just ordered the new Falloween sample set, a 7.5 ml of Wicked parfum (it's back in stock), and samples of Southern gothic, Salem, Vlad Dracul, Grimm, and I Saw Goody Proctor With The Devil.
    Nice! We can all report back our impressions.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Brosse by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I chose 2ml samples of Wicked, Southern Gothic, Aeromancy, Hydromancy, and Necromancy.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I chose 2ml samples of Wicked, Southern Gothic, Aeromancy, Hydromancy, and Necromancy.
    I like Wicked. For me, it has hint of warm soft cooked pasta, vanilla, creamy almonds and mild patchouli. Odd but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Nice! We can all report back our impressions.
    Well, my sales have been up lately so, I figure might as well get some more good stuff.

Basenotes Plus

I love this house. The fragrances are so atmospheric, some wearable, some not (for me). I have a sample of Shadow Show and it takes me back to the boardwalk in Wildwood New Jersey. Great memories. Here are the notes:

Kettle corn, spun sugar, apple, machine oil, rusty metal, dirt

Strongly connects that reptilian brain with the cortex.

I covet my sample of Psychokinesis since by the time I realized I wanted a bottle it was no longer available. I do have full bottles of Wicked and Black Sugar.. Love both. Thanks for the thread juxtapozbliss. It's nice to see this house get some love.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    I love this house. The fragrances are so atmospheric, some wearable, some not (for me). I have a sample of Shadow Show and it takes me back to the boardwalk in Wildwood New Jersey. Great memories. Here are the notes:

Kettle corn, spun sugar, apple, machine oil, rusty metal, dirt

Strongly connects that reptilian brain with the cortex.

I covet my sample of Psychokinesis since by the time I realized I wanted a bottle it was no longer available. I do have full bottles of Wicked and Black Sugar.. Love both. Thanks for the thread juxtapozbliss. It's nice to see this house get some love.

Thanks for sharing! Totally agree, "atmospheric" is another great term that unifies many of her fragrances. Wow, Shadow Show sounds so interesting.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Inspired by this thread I just purchased the Falloween 2018 sample set. And some others. Yay!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Inspired by this thread I just purchased the Falloween 2018 sample set. And some others. Yay!
    Awesome! Looking forward to your thoughts on them. I don't think mine have shipped yet.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Freed from BN Institution

Never smelled anything from SIXTEEN92 yet. I'll forward to reading your initial impressions of them.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I've tried all the samples from my recent order, and I'm once again struck by how unique and inventive this house is. Here are my notes on them, not written as reviews so much as my impressions:

CHIROMANCY // Orris, worn leather, ink, porcelain, black truffle (premium)

Begins gently and elegantly. A buttery orris opens, so buttery it was almost marshmallow. The truffle is not overwhelming, the leather accord struck me as a soft white musk. I didn't really get porcelain but I could catch hints of liquid ink when I smelled my wrist closely. The drydown was much creamier than I expected. The orris was dominant throughout. Very nice scent.

HYDROMANCY // Fog, cold violet, lichen, ambroxan, mineral accord, petrichor, glass

Primarily struck me as iced violets, like a chilled flower-flavored candy. A dry mossiness enters and balances the violet candy. An inviting gentle metallic tinge crosses both and it gives the atmosphere of a damp cave. Very interesting, maybe a little too sweet for me.

NECROMANCY // Datura metel, ceremonial incense, funeral flowers, benzoin resin, ancient spirit boards, oud

Opens with cool benzoin. Almost plasticky. A dark night flower background. An airy incense, not heavy, weaves in. Benzoin dominated to my nose. Pleasant but weak silage.

PYROMANCY // Green cardamom, fireplace embers, agarwood, smoked tea, white tobacco, hearth smoke

Warm, cozy opening. Slightly sweet tobacco. Usually I don't like tobacco. This is very nice. Reminded me of vanilla tobacco. Spicy cardamom enters. Wow. Really nice. Sinuous musk enters. Loved the opening and heart notes but the base reminded me too much of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille although better blended with a touch of honey.

AEROMANCY // Powdered snow, silver birch, dried leaves, rose oxide, a blanket of morning frost

Wow. Beautiful. Candied rose. Cool metallic breeze chilling it. I don't have many comments on the range of this one, but it was very nice.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I have let my samples rest for a few days and am wearing Aeromancy today. This one is really lovely. A beautiful soft, plush rose with something slightly metallic deep underneath to give it an edge. Light, airy, and a pleasure to wear. My only reservation is it is indeed soft and unassuming. perhaps too much so. I'll report in with thoughts from the other samples.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    I have let my samples rest for a few days and am wearing Aeromancy today. This one is really lovely. A beautiful soft, plush rose with something slightly metallic deep underneath to give it an edge. Light, airy, and a pleasure to wear. My only reservation is it is indeed soft and unassuming. perhaps too much so. I'll report in with thoughts from the other samples.
    Yes, agree. That one wasn't as strong, but I always feel her samples are a little tricky to evaluate unless one prefers the oils. Her samples are the oils, not the EDPs, so generally one can expect that if one likes a scent and buys a bottle of the EDP rather than the oil...it will be a bit stronger with greater projection and silage.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I started by sampling the Wicked. I expected more vanilla because the blurb said "three vanillas." Didn't say "a lot of three vanillas," but my mind assumed that three vanillas would be more vanilla than one vanilla. I did appreciate the almond/vanilla in it, but to me it was all, all, all about the patchouli and I was surprised. It was a very nice patchouli, but I'd expected something different. It doesn't bump my favorite Jalaine's Patchouli.

My next was Southern Gothic--I guess the rest of you have tried these older ones, already. I'm fond of Southern Gothic--youthful, carefree, summery, sweet jasmine and coconut. Very easy to wear. I'm hooked on a stronger coconut at the moment, but this one would surely be a full bottle contender if I didn't already have this other fragrance in abundance.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm still waiting for my goodies.....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm still waiting for my goodies.....
    Yeah, I saw on the site that processing times were up to two weeks--she's getting a lot or orders, and I can see why. Wicked is pretty damn wicked for any price point, let alone what she's charging. Her next fragrance, though, should be call Patience.

Yeah, I saw on the site that processing times were up to two weeks--she's getting a lot or orders, and I can see why. Wicked is pretty damn wicked for any price point, let alone what she's charging. Her next fragrance, though, should be call Patience.
    She doesn't seem so interested in "virtues." :-)

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

New set of Halloween releases from SIXTEEN92

Our Halloween Collection release includes five new fragrances inspired by our favorite cinematic witches:

WE ARE THE WEIRDOS, MISTER// The Craft // Dragon’s blood resin, cleansing white sage, snuffed-out candles, spell books, metal and ash, dusty tarot cards

WELCOME TO BURKITTSVILLE // The Blair Witch Project // Ancient stone, raven feather, forest floor, tangled roots, dark water, pitch-black musk (premium)

FORMULA 86 // The Witches // Rice powder, sugar cane, warm caramel, heliotrope, tonka bean, dark chocolate

REALLY MOST SINCERELY DEAD // The Wizard of Oz // Breadseed poppy, warm coconut milk, honeyed benzoin, black licorice

I BE THE WITCH OF THE WOOD // The VVitch // Wheat and straw, dark forest, poisoned apple, chimney smoke, fur, blood

The five new Halloween Collection fragrances are available now in perfume oil extrait, Parfum, AURA Room & Linen Mist, SuperNatural hair serum, and Detangling Hair Mist. Perfume oil sample sets with all five fragrances are also available.

Halloween_FS_grande.jpg
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I received my goodies a couple of days ago. I thought I'd let them rest for a week or so. Impatience got the better of me. I randomly picked Aeromancy for my first sampling. It's quite lovely. The best way for me to describe this is, that, the notes seem to be light one moment, then dark the next - repeating this "flight" for awhile. Then this "creature" alights on a petal to fall asleep. Aeromancy is an artful painting, made from essence.

I received my goodies a couple of days ago. I thought I'd let them rest for a week or so. Impatience got the better of me. I randomly picked Aeromancy for my first sampling. It's quite lovely. The best way for me to describe this is, that, the notes seem to be light one moment, then dark the next - repeating this "flight" for awhile. Then this "creature" alights on a petal to fall asleep. Aeromancy is an artful painting, made from essence.
    Very nicely put.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Very nicely put.
    I could literally envision a finished painting of this, in my head. Too bad I no longer have the talent to realize it.

I could literally envision a finished painting of this, in my head. Too bad I no longer have the talent to realize it.
    Speaking of paintings, is your new avatar from a Camille Rose Garcia painting? Looks like her style. By coincidence, she's actually judging the Surreal Salon exhibit/competition this year, the one that I was in last year. I might submit again although doubt I'll win two years in a row.

Claire Baxter does seem to have a very cinematic style in her perfumes. They conjure unique and particular imagery. Probably the closest house to this quality is Imaginary Authors, but they have a very different sensibility.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Speaking of paintings, is your new avatar from a Camille Rose Garcia painting? Looks like her style. By coincidence, she's actually judging the Surreal Salon exhibit/competition this year, the one that I was in last year. I might submit again although doubt I'll win two years in a row.

Claire Baxter does seem to have a very cinematic style in her perfumes. They conjure unique and particular imagery. Probably the closest house to this quality is Imaginary Authors, but they have a very different sensibility.
    Actually, I forget where I found that polar bear art. I will find stuff [pics] on the 'net, save, and forget where I found them. I could have saved that last year, for all I remember.

You ought to submit some art for the SS comp. / ex.. Why not?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wearing I Saw Goody Proctor With The Devil! Floral, incense, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, animal, slight urine (briefly), candy corn, amber, patchouli, vanilla. More autumnal flavors, here. Another haunting fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I tried Chiromancy earlier today. This one is tough for me to describe. It smells like an old place. An old memory. Something hidden in mist.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Wearing Mina Harker. This one is super delicate on me. Very demure. Light jasmine tea, smattering of plum, a darker violet, and musk.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I sampled her hydromancy today and fell for it. A very pleasant cool and moist violet that merges into a sweeter warmer base. Very effective progression.

Plus, I got them all submitted in the directory and they are mostly up for writing reviews. I don't see aeromancy or hydromancy yet.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I sampled her hydromancy today and fell for it. A very pleasant cool and moist violet that merges into a sweeter warmer base. Very effective progression.

Plus, I got them all submitted in the directory and they are mostly up for writing reviews. I don't see aeromancy or hydromancy yet.
    I've got Hydromancy lying here, in line, to be sampled. Might try it tomorrow.

I'm glad someone is submitting them all for the directory. I never tried submitting anything, as I am unsure quite how it's done or if I could find write-ups for some older perfumes anyway, one long run on sentence here, I should try not to do this.

Awesome, thanks for submitting them! Claire is so prolific, it's hard to keep up with her. I'm still waiting on my Halloween sample set. I just checked her site and she is now processing orders from Sept 20 - 24, so hopefully it will ship soon. I thought Hydromancy was beautiful. I got more candied rose than violet but it had a cool metallic breeze. Very unique.

I tried Chiromancy earlier today. This one is tough for me to describe. It smells like an old place. An old memory. Something hidden in mist.
    A buttery orris was dominant for me on this one. But I got hints of musk, leather and ink. Creamy in the drydown for me. Another beauty.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've found my new obsession. Of the five samples I hoped I'd like, I have liked every single one.

aeromancy is a delicate delight. I think it'd would do better for my taste in the EdP formulation--the oil is a little too close to skin even for me.

The free sample I'd never have picked is Vlad Dracul. It's very different from my usual. It's striking me as masculine in a sharp/cold kind of way, but there is a clear layering in my impression. I can get the cold fir needle top, the lack of sweetness makes me think its verging on sour. At the same time I can refocus my attention and get the underlying warmth of musk. And...butter?

I've listened to music this way thousands of times--focusing solely on the drums, only on the base line, or only on some other single aspect until the rest fades into a distant hazy sound curtain behind the loud and clear aspect I'm focusing on. I've never done that so very clearly with a fragrance. The balance and harmonies work for me here, in every single sample.

Considering some of the weak and horrible excuses for stink I've been sampling this is a fabulous miracle.

I'm up for 6 of 6. I had three more samples coming, and now have ordered 9 more.

I'm feeling possessive and territorial, excited and eager. I almost didn't post...how embarrassing is that? Like this thread didn't inform me of Sixteen92's existence!

I've found my new obsession. Of the five samples I hoped I'd like, I have liked every single one.

aeromancy is a delicate delight. I think it'd would do better for my taste in the EdP formulation--the oil is a little too close to skin even for me.

The free sample I'd never have picked is Vlad Dracul. It's very different from my usual. It's striking me as masculine in a sharp/cold kind of way, but there is a clear layering in my impression. I can get the cold fir needle top, the lack of sweetness makes me think its verging on sour. At the same time I can refocus my attention and get the underlying warmth of musk. And...butter?

I've listened to music this way thousands of times--focusing solely on the drums, only on the base line, or only on some other single aspect until the rest fades into a distant hazy sound curtain behind the loud and clear aspect I'm focusing on. I've never done that so very clearly with a fragrance. The balance and harmonies work for me here, in every single sample.

Considering some of the weak and horrible excuses for stink I've been sampling this is a fabulous miracle.

I'm up for 6 of 6. I had three more samples coming, and now have ordered 9 more.

I'm feeling possessive and territorial, excited and eager. I almost didn't post...how embarrassing is that? Like this thread didn't inform me of Sixteen92's existence!
    So glad you are enjoying this house, Shycat! The perfumer Claire is a real original, isn't she? She's doing very unique and unexpected things that are unlike any other house. I think the closest conceptually is Imaginary Authors, but even they don't achieve the same kind of cinematic qualities that she does.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast