Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I've found my new obsession. Of the five samples I hoped I'd like, I have liked every single one.

aeromancy is a delicate delight. I think it'd would do better for my taste in the EdP formulation--the oil is a little too close to skin even for me.

The free sample I'd never have picked is Vlad Dracul. It's very different from my usual. It's striking me as masculine in a sharp/cold kind of way, but there is a clear layering in my impression. I can get the cold fir needle top, the lack of sweetness makes me think its verging on sour. At the same time I can refocus my attention and get the underlying warmth of musk. And...butter?

I've listened to music this way thousands of times--focusing solely on the drums, only on the base line, or only on some other single aspect until the rest fades into a distant hazy sound curtain behind the loud and clear aspect I'm focusing on. I've never done that so very clearly with a fragrance. The balance and harmonies work for me here, in every single sample.

Considering some of the weak and horrible excuses for stink I've been sampling this is a fabulous miracle.

I'm up for 6 of 6. I had three more samples coming, and now have ordered 9 more.

I'm feeling possessive and territorial, excited and eager. I almost didn't post...how embarrassing is that? Like this thread didn't inform me of Sixteen92's existence!
    Its always nice to find a house you really connect with. I've enjoyed the Forbidden Arts release but don't think I'll be getting additional bottles of any. All a bit too soft on my skin. Perhaps they fare better in the EDP format. Vlad Dracul, however, is going to be a purchase. I am really enamored with it right now. It's probably my imagination but the way the fragrance transitions after its initial chilly opening makes me think of slowly oozing blood. Love the earthy muskiness about it. I think I'm going to try the EDP version instead of the oil and see how it does.

I have other selections still waiting to be shipped with highest hopes for We Are The Wierdos, Mister and I Be The Witch Of The Wood. I'll chime in when they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    Its always nice to find a house you really connect with. I've enjoyed the Forbidden Arts release but don't think I'll be getting additional bottles of any. All a bit too soft on my skin. Perhaps they fare better in the EDP format. Vlad Dracul, however, is going to be a purchase. I am really enamored with it right now. It's probably my imagination but the way the fragrance transitions after its initial chilly opening makes me think of slowly oozing blood. Love the earthy muskiness about it. I think I'm going to try the EDP version instead of the oil and see how it does.

I have other selections still waiting to be shipped with highest hopes for We Are The Wierdos, Mister and I Be The Witch Of The Wood. I'll chime in when they get here.
    The EDP definitely has a more typical parfum/spritz experience regarding silage and longevity. Her extraits are intended to be closer to the skin and more personal, as she describes it.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

rabid aroma explorer

Sampling Pyromancy this morning. The green cardamom smells almost fruity. Ambery "embers" and oud. The smoked tea leaves are lovely. Puffs and whiffs of tobacco. Old tobacco. The end smells like something smoldering in a pyre, in the distance.
    "Please stop feeding the dog from the table, from the plate on top of it!" ~~ from the movie Goodfellas
    Currently wearing: Popy Moreni by Popy Moreni

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Sampling Pyromancy this morning. The green cardamom smells almost fruity. Ambery "embers" and oud. The smoked tea leaves are lovely. Puffs and whiffs of tobacco. Old tobacco. The end smells like something smoldering in a pyre, in the distance.
    This one made me feel like Claire did Tobacco Vanille better than Tobacco Vanille.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Y'all, this is awesome to see. Claire Baxter is doing what I once thought was impossible--bringing genuine perfume artistry to our big ol' neck of the woods.

I've only tried Blood & Honey, A Thousand Times More Fair, and my beloved Bruise Violet. I figured it was about time to dip back into her world . . .
    Sale Thread! (ELdO, SHL777, Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood)

Swap Thread! (Same as Above)

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    Y'all, this is awesome to see. Claire Baxter is doing what I once thought was impossible--bringing genuine perfume artistry to our big ol' neck of the woods.

I've only tried Blood & Honey, A Thousand Times More Fair, and my beloved Bruise Violet. I figured it was about time to dip back into her world . . .
    She has such a unique style.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

I really love about half of the samples I've tried from this house. I keep wondering if I'm not being discriminating enough, but I actually think I have an affinity for her atmospheric style. When she lists "night air on the boardwalk" as an accord (Death By Stereo, that), that's exactly what I smell.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    I really love about half of the samples I've tried from this house. I keep wondering if I'm not being discriminating enough, but I actually think I have an affinity for her atmospheric style. When she lists "night air on the boardwalk" as an accord (Death By Stereo, that), that's exactly what I smell.
    I can see how that would be. Her work is artistic and compelling, even when I don't like it. I wish she had a seasonal subscription club for each new set.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I just received my set of 5 Halloween samples, and she included a bonus sample! I'll be reporting back soon.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I just received my set of 5 Halloween samples, and she included a bonus sample! I'll be reporting back soon.
    Looking forward to your thoughts. Hopefully mine will be shipped out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    Looking forward to your thoughts. Hopefully mine will be shipped out this week.
    Patience is mandatory for this house. I've decided that I'm going to try each scent twice before I report back. I usually do one sample each evening, after my day scent has worn off.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

This one made me feel like Claire did Tobacco Vanille better than Tobacco Vanille.

I've not tried Ford's scent, if that is what you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post

Must try more of these, girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    Atmospheric is a perfect word to describe her style.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently wearing Salem - it totally defines New England, in the past. Needs a dream sequence.
    "Please stop feeding the dog from the table, from the plate on top of it!" ~~ from the movie Goodfellas

I've not tried Ford's scent, if that is what you're referring to.
    Yes, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is what I was referring to, and liked this much better than TFTV.

I'm halfway through the Halloween collection samples...not a clunker in the bunch. All are very nice so far.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I've tried each of the 2018 Halloween Collection samples once, and they are all unique, fascinating and enjoyable. If you were on the fence about getting them, I recommend the set. I'll be reporting my responses when I've gone through the set again.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

I thought I already tried Necromancy but no - I hadn't. This is very dark. Hard to describe. All the notes merge so well. Damn difficult to pick them out individually. I like it a lot.

Saturday only, 10/27, 13% off sale. Details here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/458...75#post4471875
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

Southern Gothic. Gourmand on top with orange, apple, and coconut. It last a long time, like this - yummy! Later, turns floral. There is butter intermingled within.

So! I've been through my 2018 Halloween scents twice and reporting back on my findings. Claire's samples are very generous in size but always a little tricky for me to judge because I prefer a more typical spritz parfum experience, while her samples are always extraits. So I have to imagine that if or when I order the EDP style versions, they will have greater silage.

Claire included one extra sample in the set, which was nice. Weird Sisters here was a bonus. These are all winners, really. Not a clunker in the set.

WEIRD SISTERS - A sexy, seductive scent. Leads with a creamy sandalwood. So buttery it's almost caramel. Then I get an accord like lipstick, something interestingly plasticky but not overly artificial. Then a rooty floral enters that reminded me of vetiver. The drydown carried hints of sweet vanilla over the earthiness.

WE ARE THE WEIRDOS, MISTER - This opened musky and smoky but by no means aggressive. Rather a smooth dance of white musk and smoke that is soon enlivened by crisp notes of sage that harkens to fresh elemi. Then it became vaguely patchouli like, a chocolaty patchouli a hint of smoke. Very nice but possibly the weakest silage of the set, although always tricky to judge with an extrait.

WELCOME TO BURKITTSVILLE -Tough to describe this one. It opens cool like licorice. Then I get some salty musk and gentle herbs...I can see the roots in oily brackish water. Unique and intriguing. The oddest of the bunch. Hard to describe yet I really liked it.

FORMULA 86 - Opens with dark chocolate not sweet but not quite bitter either. Dry and dusky. I get just a hint of rice. The heart accord reminds me of the carmelized burnt crust of a vanilla creme brulee while the drydown was maple syrup. And yet for all those gourmand accords, it was never cloying nor was it overly sweet. Just right.

REALLY MOST SINCERELY DEAD - The opening was like honey-baked bread and black licorice. I get soft coconut, not suntan lotion coconut, with just a hint of that black licorice bitterness to give it some edge. Lemon crossed over and that's when I was able to place what this scent reminded me of. A lemon poppyseed muffin. Good but not a favorite from the family.

I BE THE WITCH OF THE WOOD - The opening reminded me of rye bread, fresh baked rye bread. Then I sensed a dark fruit perhaps baked apple but not sweetened as in an apple desert. Soon this was blended with earthiness, like a dirty patchouli. I Be the Witch dances around animalistic qualities but they were very modulated and well blended, never offensive.

In the end, I decided to take advantage of her 13% off sale on Saturday and snagged two of these in the parfum style. Can't turn down a delicious gourmand that isn't overly sweet, so I picked up Formula 86 and then I also couldn't resist the weirdness of Welcome to Burkittsville. My collection is lacking in musk-focused scents because I find them often too overwhelming, but this one uses it just right and also in a quirky creative way.

Great collection!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Great summary of the set! I've got the sample set ordered, along with the fall set, but it will be awhile before I receive them I imagine. These sound very interesting, and I can't wait to sniff them.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Great summary of the set! I've got the sample set ordered, along with the fall set, but it will be awhile before I receive them I imagine. These sound very interesting, and I can't wait to sniff them.
    Thanks, cello! Wow, her website homepage currently says 17 days processing time. Claire really needs to hire some assistants, with that kind of popularity. She must be working around the clock. I think it took about two weeks before mine were mailed. Apparently, patience is part of her brand.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Her creations are adventurous. You might like them.

I'm currently wearing Formula 86. I got tons of rice powder here, Juxta. That, mixed with the sugar cane reminded me of the neighbor's fields of crops, growing up. It turned gourmand for me. I got all the notes but the heliotrope.

Her creations are adventurous. You might like them.

I'm currently wearing Formula 86. I got tons of rice powder here, Juxta. That, mixed with the sugar cane reminded me of the neighbor's fields of crops, growing up. It turned gourmand for me. I got all the notes but the heliotrope.
    Nice. I'm looking forward to this one for winter. Still waiting on the two that I ordered...been 12 days or 10 working days. She still has 17 working days on her homepage, so probably over a week before it's sent out. Blergh.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

Nice. I'm looking forward to this one for winter. Still waiting on the two that I ordered...been 12 days or 10 working days. She still has 17 working days on her homepage, so probably over a week before it's sent out. Blergh.
    Her stuff is worth the wait.

I got a nice coffee vibe, at the end of Formula 86. Did you smell coffee at all or is it just me?

I'm still waiting for my samples ordered on 10/23, so surely they are close to going out. Then I guess I need to let them sit a bit, but I can't wait to start trying some of these out.

rabid aroma explorer

We Are The Weirdos Mister. Hard to describe. It's good - really good. It pretty much "smells" like it is described on Claire's website. Definite amber vibe, at the end. "earth, air, fire, water" ~~ is how I'd describe it.

Her stuff is worth the wait.

I got a nice coffee vibe, at the end of Formula 86. Did you smell coffee at all or is it just me?
    I wouldn't be surprised to find some coffee in it somewhere once I get the parfum version. From the sample, I got dry and dusky dark chocolate, carmelized burnt vanilla creme brulee and maple syrup. All somehow without being too sweet.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

We Are The Weirdos Mister. Hard to describe. It's good - really good. It pretty much "smells" like it is described on Claire's website. Definite amber vibe, at the end. "earth, air, fire, water" ~~ is how I'd describe it.
    I agree, this one was very nice. Struck me as the weakest silage and longevity of the batch, but that could be improved by the parfum version.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

I Be The Witch Of The Wood. The one I'm least impressed with. All I got was pretty much all wheat and straw. It didn't develop too much more except a hint of apple pancakes and some smoke.

I Be The Witch Of The Wood. The one I'm least impressed with. All I got was pretty much all wheat and straw. It didn't develop too much more except a hint of apple pancakes and some smoke.
    This was my least favorite of the batch, too. I got something like dirty patchouli in there too, but the notes were too subdued. I think this one would show better in parfum format. The extrait was too laid back. ​
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

rabid aroma explorer

This was my least favorite of the batch, too. I got something like dirty patchouli in there too, but the notes were too subdued. I think this one would show better in parfum format. The extrait was too laid back. ​
    Yeah, spray might work better with this one. I concur.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast