Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Next scent in the set is CONIUM MACULATUM // Listed notes are: hemlock flower, citrus blossom, coumarin, lavender spike, tobacco leaf, castoreum, oak, bergamot, dried iris. She calls this a "premium scent" so its prices are higher.

I found this to be a relatively simple, less complex scent than ATROPA BELLADONNA. I got herbal coumarin right off the bat. Not particularly spicy or vanilla but on the hay side. Then sweet lavender and bergamot arise. It's almost caramel at this point but not overly sweet. I get a touch of mild tobacco possibly with the leathery castoreum dancing in the background quite pleasantly. I'm usually sensitive to tobacco notes but this was modest and enjoyable. At this point, I don't get much progression but this pleasing combination simply dries down over several hours. I didn't really get strong floral notes from it, and I found it midway in strength between ACONITUM and ATROPA.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Next scent in the set is CONIUM MACULATUM // Listed notes are: hemlock flower, citrus blossom, coumarin, lavender spike, tobacco leaf, castoreum, oak, bergamot, dried iris. She calls this a "premium scent" so its prices are higher.

I found this to be a relatively simple, less complex scent than ATROPA BELLADONNA. I got herbal coumarin right off the bat. Not particularly spicy or vanilla but on the hay side. Then sweet lavender and bergamot arise. It's almost caramel at this point but not overly sweet. I get a touch of mild tobacco possibly with the leathery castoreum dancing in the background quite pleasantly. I'm usually sensitive to tobacco notes but this was modest and enjoyable. At this point, I don't get much progression but this pleasing combination simply dries down over several hours. I didn't really get strong floral notes from it, and I found it midway in strength between ACONITUM and ATROPA.
    This is the one in Edp form I tried the other day. My day is such that I don't get to check in on my scents during the day. It did last all day though. I gave it a sniff when I got home and it was still there. Also, I'm afraid my note break down skills are not up to par with this forum. I did wonder if I should test this one against the oil or just move on.

Basenotes Plus

ATROPA BELLADONNA // Listed notes: nightshade berry, narcotic flowers, green tomato, green pepper, soil, broomstick, velvet plum

Very nice floral opening. I do get a hint of tomato and gentle berry sweetness. It's quite lovely. The plum comes through soft and creamy. Soon the green enters, which could be the combination of what she calls green pepper against the green tomato, but it's not very pepper like fortunately. I have a scent, Oliver & Co Ambergreen, with strong green pepper, and it's somewhat hard to wear. Instead, this is a bright green that borders on galbanum. It crisply counters the softness in the plum. The florals here have a touch of powderiness. In the drydown it becomes earthier. It really is kind of like "soil" here, but reminds me of earthy/rooty vetiver. This fragrance was much stronger and longer lasting than ACONITUM. I liked it quite a bit although I'd say it skews feminine.
    I finally got to road test this. Intense green tomato vine scent and green pepper opening. I quite love the smell of the tomato vine, but sadly it didn't last long on me. Got the hints of soil and the plumy-berry notes were nice, but that green pepper kept pushing and pushing through. My husband thought with the floral that I had a rose scent on after about an hour, but I couldn't smell it myself. I found this very hard to wear as that green pepper note was very dominant. I also noticed it did transfer to clothing - I wore this on my right arm, which is also the arm I carry my toddler in and I could smell it on her clothing. On one hand I'll give kudos to using such an odd duck note, very bold in a sense, but I found this one extremely hard to wear. Longevity was really up there and it was still lasting strong 6+ hours on.
    Currently wearing: Rush by Gucci

Basenotes Plus

Over the next several days, LostboyR and I are going to post our reviews of these spring scents. Starting with the first:

ACONITUM // Listed notes: wolfsbane, tangled roots, wildflower field, metal, storm, rock, black fur, wild musk

I must admit, this one stretched the subtleties of my olfactory capabilities. Which aren't that great to begin with. As much as I love the work that Claire does, I wish she offered parfum samples because I'd always choose the EDP or parfum over the extrait, which inevitably sit closer to the skin. I like my silage.

As best as I could tell, this opens with a pleasant halo of powdery musk. Then soon after that I thought I could identify sweet honey-like flowers emerging, which must be the wildflowers. There is also something earthy that comes forward here too, almost swampy or rooty but not like vetiver. I thought that I could detect something sharp in the background like oily metal fillings, which reminded me of that petrol oud quality. The sharpness was countered by the honied wildflowers. This extrait sat so close to the skin that really judging it was above my pay grade. In the end, I can only say it was too subtle for me.
    I have to agree here. I found it quite intriguing but sadly longevity was....hardly there. It was gone from my skin after a hour! I really enjoyed the metallic soil, almost a petrichor or hot rain on new soil scent. Comes very close to just tilled soil, a bit like the mulch was just put down in the yard to. I really did enjoy this one, but I wish it lasted longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Icedcaramellatte View Post
    This is the one in Edp form I tried the other day. My day is such that I don't get to check in on my scents during the day. It did last all day though. I gave it a sniff when I got home and it was still there. Also, I'm afraid my note break down skills are not up to par with this forum. I did wonder if I should test this one against the oil or just move on.
    It's really nice that you have the EDP. It's the biggest weakness of her sample sets, because I would almost always choose the EDP over the extrait because of the increased silage. I'd be intrigued to hear how you compare the oil to the EDP if you have both. I am far from an expert, but I generally find it easier to distinguish notes from an EDP vs. extrait due to the increased projection. And please, don't feel you aren't up to par with the forum. I personally feel very weak at distinguishing notes and even though I'm a writer, I'm feel like a failure at recognizing and describing what I smell. There are quite a few olfactory poets around here, and I'm not one of them. I think this group at least is very supportive and hopefully you'll feel comfortable posting a few comments now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I finally got to road test this. Intense green tomato vine scent and green pepper opening. I quite love the smell of the tomato vine, but sadly it didn't last long on me. Got the hints of soil and the plumy-berry notes were nice, but that green pepper kept pushing and pushing through. My husband thought with the floral that I had a rose scent on after about an hour, but I couldn't smell it myself. I found this very hard to wear as that green pepper note was very dominant. I also noticed it did transfer to clothing - I wore this on my right arm, which is also the arm I carry my toddler in and I could smell it on her clothing. On one hand I'll give kudos to using such an odd duck note, very bold in a sense, but I found this one extremely hard to wear. Longevity was really up there and it was still lasting strong 6+ hours on.
    You should definitely avoid Ambergreen. The green pepper note is so potent there that by comparison, this one really didn't strike me that way. Maybe because I've experienced an even more potent version of that note.

I have to agree here. I found it quite intriguing but sadly longevity was....hardly there. It was gone from my skin after a hour! I really enjoyed the metallic soil, almost a petrichor or hot rain on new soil scent. Comes very close to just tilled soil, a bit like the mulch was just put down in the yard to. I really did enjoy this one, but I wish it lasted longer!
    Another case where I wish I could sample the EDP, which might have greater potency. C'est la vie.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Over the weekend, I tried my last two samples and both were delightful.

DATURA METEL // Listed notes: datura blossom, sweet almond, rosewater, sugar cube, vanilla orchid, moth wing, wild honeycomb

Creamy sweet almond oil in the opening, this being the strongest note supported by powdery, musky florals and honey. The powdery, musky florals made this a velvety night scent to me. There is some creamy vanilla that enters in the heart but not quite a food vanilla...to me it was chalky like vanilla bean rather than vanilla flavor. This is an addictive can't-stop-smelling-my-wrist kind of fragrance. Skews feminine but I liked it. Silage is good.

NERIUM OLEANDER // Listed notes: white & pink oleander, heliotrope, apple seed, sweet custard, pineapple, thyme, coconut water

A spectacular gourmand opening. I get the pineapple, apple, custard and soft coconut. I don't think that I caught any thyme, but I'll have to smell against my spices next time, I might have missed it. The custard is gently rice-like. Some florals dance brightly behind. I get an accord of sugar-encrusted citrus as it dries down but strangely not overly sweet. Really pleasant, enjoyable fragrance.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Over the weekend, I tried my last two samples and both were delightful.

DATURA METEL // Listed notes: datura blossom, sweet almond, rosewater, sugar cube, vanilla orchid, moth wing, wild honeycomb

Creamy sweet almond oil in the opening, this being the strongest note supported by powdery, musky florals and honey. The powdery, musky florals made this a velvety night scent to me. There is some creamy vanilla that enters in the heart but not quite a food vanilla...to me it was chalky like vanilla bean rather than vanilla flavor. This is an addictive can't-stop-smelling-my-wrist kind of fragrance. Skews feminine but I liked it. Silage is good.
    I was actually very pleasantly surprised how this smelled on me rather than straight from the splasher/sample. Heavy marzipan opening that really settled into a nice honey note. Several hours later there is a lovely sweet mix of vanilla, honey, and the faintest hint of rosewater if I press my nose into my arm. I had a few flashbacks of a few of Hilde Soliani Profum's line. The longer I wore this the better it became. Moderate longevity, really enjoyed this one.

NERIUM OLEANDER // Listed notes: white & pink oleander, heliotrope, apple seed, sweet custard, pineapple, thyme, coconut water

A spectacular gourmand opening. I get the pineapple, apple, custard and soft coconut. I don't think that I caught any thyme, but I'll have to smell against my spices next time, I might have missed it. The custard is gently rice-like. Some florals dance brightly behind. I get an accord of sugar-encrusted citrus as it dries down but strangely not overly sweet. Really pleasant, enjoyable fragrance.
    Heavy coconut and pineapple opening, almost like a fruity tiki beverage. Eventually settles to a rice pudding or bread pudding note. Reminded me of Guimauve de Noel by Parle Moi after a few hours of wear. This one had very good longevity and some serious silage. I took a walk in some moderate to heavy wind and I could smell this in the air even with all the wind whipping around. My only concern was the oil base, at least I believe these are mostly oil based perfume. It sat on my skin for an awfully long time and I was afraid of pulling my sleeve down and staining my clothing with the oil, so I admit I did rub it around to help with the absorption. Another example of how trying a perfume on the skin is so very important and I found the initial sniff from the splasher as way too uber sweet and icky, but yet after a full trial wear it took on many different facets.

Out of the two, Datura Metal was my favorite and I found myself enjoying the honey scent.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised how this smelled on me rather than straight from the splasher/sample. Heavy marzipan opening that really settled into a nice honey note. Several hours later there is a lovely sweet mix of vanilla, honey, and the faintest hint of rosewater if I press my nose into my arm. I had a few flashbacks of a few of Hilde Soliani Profum's line. The longer I wore this the better it became. Moderate longevity, really enjoyed this one.

Heavy coconut and pineapple opening, almost like a fruity tiki beverage. Eventually settles to a rice pudding or bread pudding note. Reminded me of Guimauve de Noel by Parle Moi after a few hours of wear. This one had very good longevity and some serious silage. I took a walk in some moderate to heavy wind and I could smell this in the air even with all the wind whipping around. My only concern was the oil base, at least I believe these are mostly oil based perfume. It sat on my skin for an awfully long time and I was afraid of pulling my sleeve down and staining my clothing with the oil, so I admit I did rub it around to help with the absorption. Another example of how trying a perfume on the skin is so very important and I found the initial sniff from the splasher as way too uber sweet and icky, but yet after a full trial wear it took on many different facets.

Out of the two, Datura Metal was my favorite and I found myself enjoying the honey scent.
    Great commentary. If you are tempted by Datura, I have found her Parfum/EDP versions avoid the oily issue. They are typical spritzers. It's these extracts that are so thick.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Member junior_surgeon's Avatar

I bought a bottle of Pyromancy EDP from the fall collection last year and have been wearing it a lot recently, gotta say that it's by far my favorite that I've smelled from Claire, though admittedly I've only tried a handful. Pyromancy has this big blast of sweet and smoky cardamom tea that almost gives the impression of bitter chocolate, such a nice smell for colder weather. It's strong as well, the sweetness of it would be too much for me in the summer but this just feels so at home in the cold.

Also, are there any Sixteen92 scents that have an upfront fir scent? Maybe something from the winter collection that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by junior_surgeon View Post
    I bought a bottle of Pyromancy EDP from the fall collection last year and have been wearing it a lot recently, gotta say that it's by far my favorite that I've smelled from Claire, though admittedly I've only tried a handful. Pyromancy has this big blast of sweet and smoky cardamom tea that almost gives the impression of bitter chocolate, such a nice smell for colder weather. It's strong as well, the sweetness of it would be too much for me in the summer but this just feels so at home in the cold.

Also, are there any Sixteen92 scents that have an upfront fir scent? Maybe something from the winter collection that I missed?
    I see you're wearing Brosse today. Fantastic scent!

I checked back through all my notes on the SIXTEEN92 scents that I've tried so far and I found this one you might take a look at:

THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER Listed: Pine & fir needle, frozen hemlock, amyris, sweet myrrh, shadowed stone, precious woods

My personal notes on it were: Really lovely opening. Sweet, elemi and icy spruce. It's anise-like. Strong projection. Resinous musky woods enter. And it closes for me with a cool spearmint/anise pairing.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

My January Resurrection order finally arrived! Banana for scale. I really like that you can order smaller sizes of these perfumes. I know Imaginary Authors does the same.

q%o6izniRLeOQkQBNcs0JQ.jpg

My January Resurrection order finally arrived! Banana for scale. I really like that you can order smaller sizes of these perfumes. I know Imaginary Authors does the same.

q%o6izniRLeOQkQBNcs0JQ.jpg
    Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Finally got around to road testing this one. Very resinous right off the bat and that castoreum and coumarin really punched through. Mixed with my own body chemistry it had an odd.....let me put it this way, my baby's diaper has a similar scent sometimes. Nice tobacco note, not too overpowering. After about two hours of wear it really got softer and less pronounced overall with a powdery musk dry down. I found it odd because I didn't see that on the notes, but that's how it settled on me. After 4-5 hours it was totally gone from my skin.

I found this to be a much more masculine scent out of the entire sample range. I enjoyed the scent overall, but it didn't work well with my own body chemistry sadly.

Basenotes Plus

OMG I'M SO EXCITED. I had a few email exchanges with SIXTEEN92 customer service last year (it turns out Claire answers the email queries herself), and I mentioned in passing that she should set up a loyalty club for people to get a discount on her seasonal fragrance sets. She never really replied to that suggestion, but apparently she HAS had a loyalty club for five years. It seems like it has limited slots available. I just learned about it via an email from her.

The full details are on the site here: https://sixteen92.com/pages/the-circle-2019
    Received my confirmation for The Circle today! The $95 for it is a smashing deal and I've been pleased with the samples and perfumes I've already purchased from this line. I absolutely adore the concept perfumes. I found a few are kissing cousins of one another (Montmarte and Bruise Violet are so very close in scent profile) and my nose is intrigued by stone, metal, petrichor, fog and the like notes. Looking forward to it!

Received my confirmation for The Circle today! The $95 for it is a smashing deal and I've been pleased with the samples and perfumes I've already purchased from this line. I absolutely adore the concept perfumes. I found a few are kissing cousins of one another (Montmarte and Bruise Violet are so very close in scent profile) and my nose is intrigued by stone, metal, petrichor, fog and the like notes. Looking forward to it!
    Awesome, congrats! You can join LostBoy and me as scent buddies and SIXTEEN92 groupies. I think we'll get the sample sets several weeks before non-subscribers do.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Awesome, congrats! You can join LostBoy and me as scent buddies and SIXTEEN92 groupies. I think we'll get the sample sets several weeks before non-subscribers do.

Anyway we can fast-track the new releases and some of the limited editions in the base notes Directory? I'd love to be able to add my reviews. I wore Mein Herr Marquis but no way to record it except this thread.

Anyway we can fast-track the new releases and some of the limited editions in the base notes Directory? I'd love to be able to add my reviews. I wore Mein Herr Marquis but no way to record it except this thread.
    I wish. I posted one of SIXTEEN92's limited edition holiday scents, I MADE MY FAMILY DISAPPEAR, back in early January and it's still not updated. I added the new Spring Collection a few weeks ago. I've posted/asked a few times about this in the Missing from the Database thread, and according to the moderators, only Grant has access/permission rights to add perfumes to the database. And I can only imagine with his full time job, with the research he is doing on upgrading the entire site and his family he doesn't have enough time to approve them all. I asked if this work could be deputized, but the mod said that the way the system is set up now, only Grant could do it. Possibly in the upgrade, knock on wood that it actually happens, he'll be able to give others the permission to do so.

I'd encourage you to post them here: http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php if you haven't. I can only assume that if multiple people post about it, he may update it more speedily.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

A re-release and the list of Spring Part 2 fragrance collection is out!

SUPERCELL

SUPERCELL is a conceptual, atmospheric fragrance that bottles the essence of a Spring thunderstorm. The first cracks of ozonic lightning in the distance, rolling humid air, sharp green grass under heavy grey skies, the smell of rain on hot asphalt, crushed green stems, windblown hay, soaked earth, and ancient branches snapped open by the forces of nature.

Our first batch of Supercell was released in Spring 2015, and it's returned periodically in extremely limited releases. Only a single batch is made for each release, and each year's batch is unique.

This year's batch is available TODAY (April 26) in oil format in our standard 6ml bottles and 10ml roll-ons, and in a limited number of Parfum Extrait 7.5ml travel sprays.

SPRING PART 2

E Lucevan Le Stelle - Dark earth, night gardenia, starlit cobblestone, ambergris, galbanum, tree moss
    Enfant Terrible - Apricot, papaya, honeysuckle blossom, clover honey, blond woods
    Habanera - Aldehydes, guava, bergamot flower, water hyacinth, sparkling jasmine, wild clover
    Mein Herr Marquis - Violet macarons, silk tulle, pearlescent powder, orris root, heliotrope
    Serres d'Auteuil - Spring cherry blossom, pink pepper, Grasse rose, hothouse ferns, warm sun, sweet heliotrope (premium)

Available now in perfume oil, Parfum, hair care, and AURA linen mists
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Soooooo tempting. I just got my resurrection order a few days ago (all the way back from my order date of 1-11-19) though so I guess I can resist.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Soooooo tempting. I just got my resurrection order a few days ago (all the way back from my order date of 1-11-19) though so I guess I can resist.
    Definitely some very intriguing combinations she's come up with. I should get these samples as part of the club early, so I'll report back my finding as soon as I do.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Excellent news! I ordered a 10ml right away. I was hoping for it to reappear a couple of pages earlier in this thread after all...
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Excellent news! I ordered a 10ml right away. I was hoping for it to reappear a couple of pages earlier in this thread after all...
    Nice. Congrats!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

A re-release and the list of Spring Part 2 fragrance collection is out!

SUPERCELL

SUPERCELL is a conceptual, atmospheric fragrance that bottles the essence of a Spring thunderstorm. The first cracks of ozonic lightning in the distance, rolling humid air, sharp green grass under heavy grey skies, the smell of rain on hot asphalt, crushed green stems, windblown hay, soaked earth, and ancient branches snapped open by the forces of nature.

Our first batch of Supercell was released in Spring 2015, and it's returned periodically in extremely limited releases. Only a single batch is made for each release, and each year's batch is unique.

This year's batch is available TODAY (April 26) in oil format in our standard 6ml bottles and 10ml roll-ons, and in a limited number of Parfum Extrait 7.5ml travel sprays.
    ARRRGGGHHHH....will have to wait until next year. Sigh.

Supercell Parfum Extrait is gone. Looks like roll on it is then.

Edit: ordered the 10ml roll on and also 7.5ml Blood & Honey Parfum. Got to put my Circle discount to use for the first time. We'll see how it goes when they arrive in a month or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Supercell Parfum Extrait is gone. Looks like roll on it is then.
    Wow. That was fast.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Looking forward to Spring Part 2!

E LUCEVAN LE STELLE (2018) - Dark earth, night gardenia, starlit cobblestone, ambergris, galbanum, tree moss

ENFANT TERRIBLE (2017) - Apricot, papaya, honeysuckle blossom, clover honey, blond woods

HABANERA (2018) - Aldehydes, guava, bergamot flower, water hyacinth, sparkling jasmine, wild clover

MEIN HERR MARQUIS (2018) - Violet macarons, silk tulle, pearlescent powder, orris root, heliotrope

SERRES D'AUTEUIL (2017) - Spring cherry blossom, pink pepper, Grasse rose, hothouse ferns, warm sun, sweet heliotrope (premium)

I actually received Mein Herr Marquis through my resurrection order and it's a very nice light almost powdery makeup scent. The more I wear it the more I like it above Bruise Violet and Montmartre, which are all sister scents.

Looking forward to Spring Part 2!

E LUCEVAN LE STELLE (2018) - Dark earth, night gardenia, starlit cobblestone, ambergris, galbanum, tree moss

ENFANT TERRIBLE (2017) - Apricot, papaya, honeysuckle blossom, clover honey, blond woods

HABANERA (2018) - Aldehydes, guava, bergamot flower, water hyacinth, sparkling jasmine, wild clover

MEIN HERR MARQUIS (2018) - Violet macarons, silk tulle, pearlescent powder, orris root, heliotrope

SERRES D'AUTEUIL (2017) - Spring cherry blossom, pink pepper, Grasse rose, hothouse ferns, warm sun, sweet heliotrope (premium)

I actually received Mein Herr Marquis through my resurrection order and it's a very nice light almost powdery makeup scent. The more I wear it the more I like it above Bruise Violet and Montmartre, which are all sister scents.
    Thanks for the description! How are the others that you recently received. I should be getting this set some time in the next couple weeks with the subscription.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I just got notification that my next set of samples from the subscription service has just shipped! I assume this is Spring Part 2, but I'm not sure if it includes the subscriber exclusive 6ML fragrance.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

I'd considered ordering more sample sets recently. Then I figured, I'd let them lay around awhile before sampling, fall in love with something, then find out I waited too long to order a larger size, and would have to deal with discontinued-perfume-jones syndrome. I missed out On Formula 86 because I dicked around too long...

I DID order 10ml of Bruise Violet the other day, finally. and, a sample of Baba Yaga.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I'd considered ordering more sample sets recently. Then I figured, I'd let them lay around awhile before sampling, fall in love with something, then find out I waited too long to order a larger size, and would have to deal with discontinued-perfume-jones syndrome. I missed out On Formula 86 because I dicked around too long...

I DID order 10ml of Bruise Violet the other day, finally. and, a sample of Baba Yaga.
    Nice! Timing is tricky with these. That's another perk of getting them early :-) I know she won't be sold out if I like one.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast