Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

Default Re: SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Nice! Timing is tricky with these. That's another perk of getting them early :-) I know she won't be sold out if I like one.
    I pulled the trigger, got others ones, last fall but, I let formula 86 slip by my greedy, little grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I pulled the trigger, got others ones, last fall but, I let formula 86 slip by my greedy, little grasp.
    Perhaps next Resurrection period. It's a good 'un.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

hi, new member here..
    i bumped to this house from american perfumer & got overwhelmed with their option when checking their website
    so any suggestion for me who likes something green, airy, outdoorsy? heavy or fresh fine by me - nothing too sweet, just not into gourmand
    & i prefer spray rather than roll on, any suggestion appreciated, thanks!
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

I just got notification that my next set of samples from the subscription service has just shipped! I assume this is Spring Part 2, but I'm not sure if it includes the subscriber exclusive 6ML fragrance.
    Oh I haven't checked in here in quite a while. I've been overwhelmed with getting my spring order and Resurrection order all at the same time. I still haven't tried everything. Anyway, I got the email too. My guess would be Summer Collection. I think the Spring 2 is up already and I never get the samples of the Part 2 stuff in the subscription. Most of the time I don't even realize a Part 2 even came out. At least I don't remember ever getting any part 2 samples.

By the way did anyone get Morganite? I got it in a small EDP. Was it available in the large edp? I don't know why I got small. Only reason must have been limited funds. I wish I had it in a large size.

Quote Originally Posted by ryogee View Post
    hi, new member here..
    i bumped to this house from american perfumer & got overwhelmed with their option when checking their website
    so any suggestion for me who likes something green, airy, outdoorsy? heavy or fresh fine by me - nothing too sweet, just not into gourmand
    & i prefer spray rather than roll on, any suggestion appreciated, thanks!
    Hi ryogee and welcome to Basenotes.

SIXTEEN92 is a wonderful house, but her fragrances tend to be quirky and unique. Definitely a-typical for general categories. For the "green, airy, outdoorsy" frags you seek, you might check out Supercell that is currently on limited release. It's very outdoorsy and falls on the "heavier" side. https://sixteen92.com/products/super...17284722982963 Another one you could try is Atropa Belladonna https://sixteen92.com/products/sprin...16511484788787 It's a "dirty green floral" I would describe on the lighter side. Stick to her parfums and you'll have a spray versus the roll-ons. See if the notes appeal to you on either of those.

There also appear to be several that fit the bill in her new Spring Part 2 collection, but I haven't sampled those yet to make a recommendation. I should be getting them in a week or so.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Icedcaramellatte View Post
    Oh I haven't checked in here in quite a while. I've been overwhelmed with getting my spring order and Resurrection order all at the same time. I still haven't tried everything. Anyway, I got the email too. My guess would be Summer Collection. I think the Spring 2 is up already and I never get the samples of the Part 2 stuff in the subscription. Most of the time I don't even realize a Part 2 even came out. At least I don't remember ever getting any part 2 samples.

By the way did anyone get Morganite? I got it in a small EDP. Was it available in the large edp? I don't know why I got small. Only reason must have been limited funds. I wish I had it in a large size.
    Well, darn...you might be right. If it is summer, then I missed Spring 2 unless I order it now. I guess I could use my 10% discount for that. I'll double check with her which she sent me. Did you get any of the Spring 2 frags? I haven't tried Morganite.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by Icedcaramellatte View Post

Just got an email from Claire. You were correct. She said I was be mailed the Summer collection and that "...the "part 2" collections are reissues from past years' seasonal collections -- for example, next year's Summer Part 2 collection will feature fragrances from this year's Summer collection." So I used my 10% discount to order the Spring 2, since I've never tried those.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

SIXTEEN92 is a wonderful house, but her fragrances tend to be quirky and unique. Definitely a-typical for general categories. For the "green, airy, outdoorsy" frags you seek, you might check out Supercell that is currently on limited release. It's very outdoorsy and falls on the "heavier" side. https://sixteen92.com/products/super...17284722982963 Another one you could try is Atropa Belladonna https://sixteen92.com/products/sprin...16511484788787 It's a "dirty green floral" I would describe on the lighter side. Stick to her parfums and you'll have a spray versus the roll-ons. See if the notes appeal to you on either of those.

There also appear to be several that fit the bill in her new Spring Part 2 collection, but I haven't sampled those yet to make a recommendation. I should be getting them in a week or so.
    I'm glad you answered ryogee's question. I couldn't think of a damn thing, matching what he wanted.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the description! How are the others that you recently received. I should be getting this set some time in the next couple weeks with the subscription.
    I feel I dropped off for a bit - been so busy lately! I am REALLY loving Baker Street and find myself reaching for it more and more. I bought a big bottle of Montmartre for the Resurrection, but find I'm not liking it much at all, but I have to be in the right mood for it. Mein Herr Marquis is absolutely fab, I'm happy to be getting a second sample with Spring Part 2 of it. The only one I really didn't like was the 'I'm not Finished'. I've tried it various time and it's just not doing anything for me. The surprise one was Tituba - I really enjoyed it and reading up on who she was!

thanks for suggestion! checked Supercell sold out ..& I have no clue for the notes of atropa belladona - 'broomstick?'..definitely unique, for sure i'll add it to my sample set

I'm glad you answered ryogee's question. I couldn't think of a damn thing, matching what he wanted.
    haha..i actually open to any suggestion, just because next month i'll be travelling to Bali -
    i want to prepare with something different, as i pretty much get bored easily with summer/citrus of frags

haha..i actually open to any suggestion, just because next month i'll be travelling to Bali -
    i want to prepare with something different, as i pretty much get bored easily with summer/citrus of frags
    She has some pretty abstract notes listed for many of them. I tend to think of those as metaphorical and descriptive of the general essence or tone of the fragrance overall rather than a specific note. It's a fun brand because it's got a creative, quirky edge to everything. I don't want to deter you from trying this house but I should warn you that if your trip is next month...you will be lucky to get your samples before you leave and then if you place an order for a parfum bottle...it will never arrive in time for your trip. Claire Baxter is pretty much a solo artisan, although she probably has some assistants, but as you can see on her website it takes 18 days to ship an order. She even replies to customer service requests herself! So...while I would love to hear your thoughts when you do receive samples, you might need to look to another brand that you can pick up sooner for your vacation.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Me too, I even pulled out the samples and small bottles I had and gave them all good sniff. Atropa Belladonna is the closest match based on wanting something green. I wasn't able to move past the green pepper note in it.

Basenotes Plus

I tend to enjoy her "darker" scents.

She has some pretty abstract notes listed for many of them. I tend to think of those as metaphorical and descriptive of the general essence or tone of the fragrance overall rather than a specific note. It's a fun brand because it's got a creative, quirky edge to everything. I don't want to deter you from trying this house but I should warn you that if your trip is next month...you will be lucky to get your samples before you leave and then if you place an order for a parfum bottle...it will never arrive in time for your trip. Claire Baxter is pretty much a solo artisan, although she probably has some assistants, but as you can see on her website it takes 18 days to ship an order. She even replies to customer service requests herself! So...while I would love to hear your thoughts when you do receive samples, you might need to look to another brand that you can pick up sooner for your vacation.
    i'm leaving on 3rd, too close even to order sample now, guess have to wait till i get back. i'll be keep checking this thread & her website
    *decided to order a bottle of MI from Rouge Perfumery ..curious how it perform against tropic weather

i'm leaving on 3rd, too close even to order sample now, guess have to wait till i get back. i'll be keep checking this thread & her website
    *decided to order a bottle of MI from Rouge Perfumery ..curious how it perform against tropic weather
    Enjoy your trip.

I've sampled Mousse Illuminee. My notes on it were: mossy incense counterbalanced by sharp florals in the opening. The incense is dense like a cloud of pollen while the moss is dark green and alive like algea on a pond. A unique combination that I haven't come across before and I've explored quite a few incense frags. Something sweet and candied comes out in the heart that could be the laurel leaves or the white flowers. The green then becomes almost coniferous in the heart. Drydown is a gentle musk and woods 10 hours later. Potent projection, strongest of the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Enjoy your trip.

I've sampled Mousse Illuminee. My notes on it were: mossy incense counterbalanced by sharp florals in the opening. The incense is dense like a cloud of pollen while the moss is dark green and alive like algea on a pond. A unique combination that I haven't come across before and I've explored quite a few incense frags. Something sweet and candied comes out in the heart that could be the laurel leaves or the white flowers. The green then becomes almost coniferous in the heart. Drydown is a gentle musk and woods 10 hours later. Potent projection, strongest of the set.

wow ..your description makes me can't wait for package to arrive ..good sillage potent projection..that's what i need under hot bali sun..thank you!

Uggggh. I'm so disappointed. I somehow messed up my shipping address when I placed my order. I don't know if it's my fault or Paypal's fault. Maybe both, I should have looked more closely. But my Summer samples went to an address which doesn't exist...a mashup of my work and home addresses. Looks like it's going to be shipped back to SIXTEEN92 and have to be resent. Oh well. At least the oils are aging in transit.

Edit:
    Claire kindly rushed my Spring 2 order, which will be ready tomorrow. And she's going to send me a duplicate of the Summer sample order from my membership...so at least they will both arrive together in a week or so. Better than her waiting for the return from the post office then having to re-ship it. That saves her postage, and I'll get it sooner so it works out okay!
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 20th May 2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added the resolution
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Just received my Summer 1989 order. Yes, 1989.

Set List includes:

Bad Reputation: Rolling, paper, cannabis, cherry cola, worn leather jacket, torn magazine pages

Cruel Summer: beach rock, hot sand, palm fronds, sunblock, salt, rum

Pour Some Sugar On Me: White peach, raspberry syrup, citrus flower, sweet mango, cotton candy, pink lipstick

Time After Time: watermelon lipgloss, peony blossom, new roller skates, vanilla malt, sugar, musk

Out At the Devil: smeared makeup, cocaine (crossed out), hairspray, fog machine, nag champa

Youth Gone Wild: new vinyl records, warm night air, polished arcade wood, hot asphalt, burned rubber.

Until I hear otherwise from the company, I won't be trying Bad Reputation until I find out if actual cannabis oil was used or not. I'm actually allergic. If synthetic it's fine (just like I confirmed with 4160 Tuesday's perfumes).

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Just received my Summer 1989 order. Yes, 1989.

Set List includes:

Bad Reputation: Rolling, paper, cannabis, cherry cola, worn leather jacket, torn magazine pages

Pour Some Sugar On Me: White peach, raspberry syrup, citrus flower, sweet mango, cotton candy, pink lipstick

Time After Time: watermelon lipgloss, peony blossom, new roller skates, vanilla malt, sugar, musk

Out At the Devil: smeared makeup, cocaine (crossed out), hairspray, fog machine, nag champa

Youth Gone Wild: new vinyl records, warm night air, polished arcade wood, hot asphalt, burned rubber.

Until I hear otherwise from the company, I won't be trying Bad Reputation until I find out if actual cannabis oil was used or not. I'm actually allergic. If synthetic it's fine (just like I confirmed with 4160 Tuesday's perfumes).
    Sounds like a wild set.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

So far I really like Shout at the Devil. It's the nag champa that does it for me. It's the same reason I'm in love with Death by Stereo.

Basenotes Plus

mZZpxeWJTuWKtE66dwK9pQ.jpg0ubgTScPSiCoMfLjIA5S0w.jpg

Finally got the picture of the insert to download.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mZZpxeWJTuWKtE66dwK9pQ.jpg0ubgTScPSiCoMfLjIA5S0w.jpg

Finally got the picture of the insert to download.
    Sweet! My second package just shipped.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    So far I really like Shout at the Devil. It's the nag champa that does it for me. It's the same reason I'm in love with Death by Stereo.
    I got an email before delivery telling me to let these settle before wearing, which is a fair warning considering it got to 90+F outside the day it arrived.

I did get a chance to try Shout at the Devil and Youth Gone Wild as Cruel Summer, Time After Time and Pour Some Sugar on Me smelled incredibly sweet at first. Shout at the Devil - your right, the Nag Champa really hits the spot. Although I was more of a 90's teen, many of the same notes I recall from the early 90's. Same with Youth Gone Wild. I worked at a Tower Records before they went belly up and the scent reminds me of being around the vinyl, cassettes and CDs all wrapped up. I used to take a number of smoke breaks outside, so yeah, I had a bit of nostalgia with that one.

I'll have to check out Death by Stereo.

I got an email before delivery telling me to let these settle before wearing, which is a fair warning considering it got to 90+F outside the day it arrived.

I did get a chance to try Shout at the Devil and Youth Gone Wild as Cruel Summer, Time After Time and Pour Some Sugar on Me smelled incredibly sweet at first. Shout at the Devil - your right, the Nag Champa really hits the spot. Although I was more of a 90's teen, many of the same notes I recall from the early 90's. Same with Youth Gone Wild. I worked at a Tower Records before they went belly up and the scent reminds me of being around the vinyl, cassettes and CDs all wrapped up. I used to take a number of smoke breaks outside, so yeah, I had a bit of nostalgia with that one.

I'll have to check out Death by Stereo.
    I remember Tower Records. Cool place. I liked how they had a section for indie books and zines.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

I remember Tower Records. Cool place. I liked how they had a section for indie books and zines.
    I worked in the Classical Section which also, incidentally, housed the Jazz, Lounge, 'Light' music aka Englebert Humperdink, and also the magazines. Most people tried to shoplift in our section because the cameras didn't reach that area (you could see the bubbles in the ceiling).

I was also asked to clean up the magazines when free - yes.....we had a large selection of alternative magazines. Our best seller was the Over 50 and 'All Natural' ones followed by the 'Perfect 10' aka women without plastic surgery of any type. After that it was the tattoo mag and then the weed ones.

Before Tower Records there was a very cool place called Wallichs Music City on Sunset and Vine in Hollywood.
    There were listening booths with turtables to audtion new records. Loved that place.
    See the listening rooms with glass windows on left side of pic.3..-Listening-Booths-inside-Wallichs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Before Tower Records there was a very cool place called Wallichs Music City on Sunset and Vine in Hollywood.
    There were listening booths with turtables to audtion new records. Loved that place.
    See the listening rooms with glass windows on left side of pic.3..-Listening-Booths-inside-Wallichs.jpg
    Nice. I remember listening stations.

I've received my Spring 2 and Summer sample sets today. Yay!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Finally got a chance to give two of these a really good test wear.

Bad Reputation: Rolling paper, cannabis, cherry cola, worn leather jacket, torn magazine pages

Heavy on the cherry cola in the beginning, more like a generic cherry cola, like Walmart or store brand type. Thankfully the cannabis scent is very faint and doesn't last too long. Nice light leather underpinnings. I used to roll my own cigarettes because I was cheap back in the day, and I don't recall any particular smell to them, so I guess it's more ambiance than anything. I can definitely pick up hints of a waxy/glossy note, which might be the torn magazine pages, the kind that have the smooth sheen to them. After a few hours all I could detect was the faint cherry cola notes which had amazing longevity and strangely it became very floral for me. The floral ending was quite the surprise for me. As I understand these are the oil based samples, I didn't expect much in the way of longevity, but a good solid 4 hours on my first wear.

The palm lends a waxy note, but mostly sunblock. The best way I can sum it up is the smell of palm oil and coconut oil mixed together, however the green of the palm is more to the forefront than the coconut/cocoa buttery scent. There are definite mineral accords tying everything up in a neat package and the alcoholic rum notes (silver rum not spiced rum) kinda waft in and out. I found this one most unusual, it definitely says 'beach', but most definitely different from the lime/coconut/aquatic. Cruel Summer I would definite classify as a green fragrance. This one challenge my nose a bit more than usual, and in a good way.

Finally got a chance to give two of these a really good test wear.

Bad Reputation: Rolling paper, cannabis, cherry cola, worn leather jacket, torn magazine pages

Heavy on the cherry cola in the beginning, more like a generic cherry cola, like Walmart or store brand type. Thankfully the cannabis scent is very faint and doesn't last too long. Nice light leather underpinnings. I used to roll my own cigarettes because I was cheap back in the day, and I don't recall any particular smell to them, so I guess it's more ambiance than anything. I can definitely pick up hints of a waxy/glossy note, which might be the torn magazine pages, the kind that have the smooth sheen to them. After a few hours all I could detect was the faint cherry cola notes which had amazing longevity and strangely it became very floral for me. The floral ending was quite the surprise for me. As I understand these are the oil based samples, I didn't expect much in the way of longevity, but a good solid 4 hours on my first wear.

The palm lends a waxy note, but mostly sunblock. The best way I can sum it up is the smell of palm oil and coconut oil mixed together, however the green of the palm is more to the forefront than the coconut/cocoa buttery scent. There are definite mineral accords tying everything up in a neat package and the alcoholic rum notes (silver rum not spiced rum) kinda waft in and out. I found this one most unusual, it definitely says 'beach', but most definitely different from the lime/coconut/aquatic. Cruel Summer I would definite classify as a green fragrance. This one challenge my nose a bit more than usual, and in a good way.
    Wow, awesome! Thanks for the insightful reviews. I think I'm going to start with the Spring 2 set before getting to summer.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast