Code of Conduct
o

Default Would this Chanel Platinum be a good purchase?

Here is the link to 3.4oz Chanel Platinum Egoiste I am interested in. I asked the seller what the batch code located on the bottle is, and she could not find one that was extched on. But if you look at the pictures, you can see that "XP1" is printed on the bottom of the bottle. Anybody have any info on a bottle that looks like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223093949412?ul_noapp=true

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Would this Chanel Platinum be a good purchase?

Being Chanel is molded into the glass it should be authentic, looks like the batch code was scrapped away. Usually if it’s been around through discounters etc they will remove batch numbers.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It looks authentic. That's neither original formulation nor current formulation, but from some time in between. My only experience with that version, or at least one in the same bottle design, was from a tester that smelled like it might have gone off somewhat - although I can't be sure. Maybe that's just how that version smelled.

You can get a 50-ml new for about the same price, and a 100-ml new for about $95, so if it were me, I might skip that listing, or maybe make an offer of $45, and be willing to negotiate up to $55.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It looks authentic. That's neither original formulation nor current formulation, but from some time in between. My only experience with that version, or at least one in the same bottle design, was from a tester that smelled like it might have gone off somewhat - although I can't be sure. Maybe that's just how that version smelled.

You can get a 50-ml new for about the same price, and a 100-ml new for about $95, so if it were me, I might skip that listing, or maybe make an offer of $45, and be willing to negotiate up to $55.
    Thanks for your input. I might try to see what the seller will take for it. If she cant come off the price I will try and shoot for one from a reputable source. Thanks!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Congrats in advance if you wind up getting it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

On the back! (and not on the bottom of the bottle) below there must be the batch code engraved.......if not it is a fake.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

As part of my return of one of the two "Dior Homme Parfum" specimens that I had ordered, which I believe tends to be surrounded by a bit of hyperbole but anyways, I had myself a little "Platinum Égoïste". I have tested it once on paper before the new year and I had the chance to test it again on a paper strip as well as on the skin very recently. The sales advisor applied one healthy spray of a large bottle nearing its final third to my arm. It was round and it was radiant, even later while under a thermal fleece sweater. There was one short instance a few minutes after application, I was still in conversation with the sales advisor, where I was under the impression that I could make out the connection to its darker counterpart. It literally stuck out visually for said instance. Around an hour after application, I experienced one or more accords, there was a certain spiciness to it, almost haptically. It felt noble and akin to an oasis of wellness if that makes any sense. And that was outside in the cold, mind you. At this point in time I had already purchased a large bottle at another store in the same mall. They did not have testers of this house and I was told that the reason for this was that they do not receive sales assistance from the house. If that is due to said store not being upscale enough, I really would question those who made these decisions. The selling price before rebates practically was the same at both stores.
    Anyways, apart from this, I am conflicted on whether the bottle that I purchased provides an identical experience to the tester at the first store. It heads in the direction that I have come to know but it is less clear, somehow muted and less intensive. Also, there is more of a shower gel facet to it? Is this my mind playing tricks on me and glorifying the first proper experience? If not, is this how this house would like to make their customers feel or do individual customers not mean much anymore?
    Another aspect that irritates me is individuals trying to pit this fragrance against the original namebearer. It is brighter and comforting, so it must be an empty mainstream abomination, right? Inanity would be one way to describe this, kindly speaking. Alright, alright, I will temper myself now. I noticed that the shrink wrap at the bottom of the box was damaged. This outer plastic sealing layer, you know what I mean. I wonder if this means that this one of only two available specimens stood in the cabinet for a certain period of time with the shrink wrap turning porous and if this then had an effect in regards to a certain amount of air being able to enter and circulate. According to the box, the manufacture batch code is "4103" and the formulation code is "IL28-I". The manufacture batch code was interpreted by two cosmetics checking sites as having been manufactured around mid 2019. Is that likely or could it be that this specimen has been hanging out at that respective store since some time after 2009?
    Thank you "Bavard" and "Slayerized", I was about to comment about there not being a manufacture batch code on the bottom of the bottle, while it is indeed on the lower end of the back of the bottle. This means that I will be able to pay another visit to the store with the tester in an attempt to decipher its innards.

If you can go past the metallic note yes, it’s an excellent fresh scent imo. Much better than many faceless fresh fragrances in the market.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Interesting post, Xami. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Platinum Egoiste. Your post covers several of the talking points on this one.

Chanel Platinum is easily one of my favorites. I have two older style bottles and they smell amazing. I love the metallic note that some don’t find enjoyable. Perfect scent for an office environment.

If offers like the one in the thread starting post do show up for this fragrance, would have no problem to recommend buying or also to buy it.
    Easily one of the better fresh, casual but also classy designer options, very appropriate-as correctly remarked-for everyday/office wear.
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

I forgot to subscribe to this thread and then I wondered why I could not find it in my list of subscriptions. That is thoughtful of you, Bavard.
    I wanted to add that what I described as an element of the original fragrance sticking out in one instance may literally have been a cinnamon stick and I would think one with a comparable staleness which unfortunately makes the darker and somewhat more complex original challenging for me to enjoy. And what I described as being spicy in one instant perhaps is better described as aromatic or herbal but I am not sure. I am sure however about having had another encounter assumably with the same tester which had about a third of its content left and its manufacture batch code is... "0101". I took a picture of it for my own reference. According to the two websites that I consulted, this means that it was manufactured in either April or November 2016. The simple assumption would be that something clearly was changed but as simple has a tendency to become too simple, I would not rule out that I experienced my first encounter with this fragrance in a rather vivid way and I am actually thankful for it. This second sampling was a bit confusing as it seemed to lack the character of the first sampling but this could be because I had applied the purchased specimen rather generously in the mean time and so I may have become accustomed to their general composition so to speak. An interesting side observation that I did not seem to notice during the first encounter was that the fluid seems to have lost a part of its colour respectively colourants assumably for being exposed to the lighting in the store located two floors underground.