Code of Conduct
    Let's Dance

Default Do you use shoe trees for sneakers?

Are shoe trees used for sneakers? I'm thinking of 'dressy' leather/suede/synthetic sneakers, not running or activity shoes.

Thanks!

Default Re: Do you use shoe trees for sneakers?

I've stretched a few out with them...with modest success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Only for my dress shoes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I spent a minimal amount of time on Styleforum talking to aficionados of the best shoes on the planet. They all told me the same thing: the main reason for shoe trees is to use them as soon as you take your shoes off so the cedar can absorb moisture and preserve the leather, or whatever material. The idea that they just generally preserve the condition/structure/shape of the shoe by leaving them in there is mostly bullshit. I have some and use them in certain conditions - when my $500 hiking boots get drenched and I put a shitload of Obenauf's on them, etc, but I mainly wear some Clogs, Nike Frees, etc, so I really don't put a lot of thought into it. If I need them stretched I just go to a good shoe cobbler and let them do all they can. I have one pair of shoe trees around for when I need them. Unless it's a pair I totally thrash, my shoes are all in good shape.

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I spent a minimal amount of time on Styleforum talking to aficionados of the best shoes on the planet. They all told me the same thing: the main reason for shoe trees is to use them as soon as you take your shoes off so the cedar can absorb moisture and preserve the leather, or whatever material. The idea that they just generally preserve the condition/structure/shape of the shoe by leaving them in there is mostly bullshit. I have some and use them in certain conditions - when my $500 hiking boots get drenched and I put a shitload of Obenauf's on them, etc, but I mainly wear some Clogs, Nike Frees, etc, so I really don't put a lot of thought into it. If I need them stretched I just go to a good shoe cobbler and let them do all they can. I have one pair of shoe trees around for when I need them. Unless it's a pair I totally thrash, my shoes are all in good shape.
    Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks for this!
    Freewheelingvagabond,

Cool. I figure it's good to have a pair around.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd September 2018 at 11:41 AM.

I have had up to 20 pair in my collection at one time and never used tress. For me, I like my sneaks to be a snug fit. They are generally breathable and don't need to be stretched, unlike many dress shoes (slip-ons and lace ups). Just my .02
    Currently wearing: Back to Black by By Kilian

Put in shoe trees (non lacquered porous wood) to preserve the innards of a dress shoe after wear, especially like me, who sweats a lot at my feet after whole day of wear.
    I have tried shoes if not rotated ( dress or athletic) the inside start to become smelly and would make my feet and socks smell foul a bit , and if continued without rotation, my feet socks would actually feel a bit gummy/sticky inside of there during wear.
    If I rotate in a good 3 pairs and/or place good shoe trees in them after wear, they would feel preserved and my feet would never smell after wear. I'm all for shoe trees.