Code of Conduct
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27

Default Re: [UK] TOAK - Shiny Peaked Streams ft. Silver Shade, Brown Orchid Blanc + Sun Java White

Hey Palm, could you sign me up for 50ml of Aventus? Thanks!

Default Re: [UK] TOAK - Shiny Peaked Streams ft. Silver Shade, Brown Orchid Blanc + Sun Java White

Hi Palm. Put me onto the TOAK please!

I liked Al Wisam Day, the split you ran last year was well timed as that ended up being one of my go to summer frags in the later part of that awesome heat we had along with Erolfa and Himalaya.

I'm surprised to not see Al Rehab Silver in your TOAK, as I was reading the opening line of that post I expected to see it listed in there due to how much they seem to get compared.

I'll take a punt on it though, can't beat that price per ml.

Hi Palm, any interest in doing a split of acqua fiorentina by creed?

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoCulture View Post
    I liked Al Wisam Day, the split you ran last year was well timed as that ended up being one of my go to summer frags in the later part of that awesome heat we had along with Erolfa and Himalaya.

I'm surprised to not see Al Rehab Silver in your TOAK, as I was reading the opening line of that post I expected to see it listed in there due to how much they seem to get compared.

I'll take a punt on it though, can't beat that price per ml.
    I've actually tried Al Rehab before, funnily enough when I was sampling for the previous TOAK you mentioned, and I really didn't like it because it smelled so cheap/overly synthetic and I can't get away with scents like that at all. Generally clones don't do it for me at all unless they have their own twist on things (like Entebaa did) or match the quality of the original (Al WIsam Day vintage) as loads of reviewers just smell a fleeting similarity and scream "ZOMG!!1! This is teh cloooonnneeeyyyyy!!!11!!" and everyone else just echoes it without stopping to think/sniff.

What attracted me to the picks that I did go with this time around is that a few chaps I know who have the same kind of tastes as me really dug them and the questions I had about the composition/performance were all aced so I thought "Might as well" because they were based in the States and it would be a hassle getting samples shipped to try given the costs involved compared to retail. That and two of the picks are totally under the radar and those that do know about them rave to anyone who'll listen and thats just the kind of stuff I like TOAKing up because there is no other way we'd know about them or get to try them.

SMW in particular is a Creed scent that I really like the idea of but not their execution of because of that whole "tinfoil cup full of ink" accord ruins it and metallic notes are generally indicators of cheap aroma chemicals being used haphazardly (which is why that vibe is so prevalent in a lot of cheapies as its used to fill out sparse compositions) and given that its been replicated and bettered numerous times before its safe to say its not a very complicated creation, nor is it full of captives. I've got a feeling that two of these picks are going to be stunners and one will be a total knockout! Lets see what kicks once the allocations are filled and we've all inhaled them as I'll unveil my prediction then and see how accurate it is!

Quote Originally Posted by donbarton5 View Post
    Hi Palm, any interest in doing a split of acqua fiorentina by creed?
    As usual bud its up to the members, if anyone else is interested please say and if there is enough traction I'll add it to the list.

Same goes with any suggestions folks, its easier for me if you lot just punt them into the thread and see if other people want in rather than me listing them for one person and then delisting them a month later.

Fair play mate, I trust your judgement. Looking forward to road testing them.

I will jump in on this TOAK if I can please, sounds interesting based on the reviews.

Looking forward to the MBE arriving & thanks in advance of the extra scent!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll take a slot on the TOAK please Palm

Basenotes Member

I'll get involved in the TOAK

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

In on the TOAK too cheers, chief

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingScent View Post
    Would love to get on a split of creed pure white cologne if the demand is there and palm kindly obliges, many thanks��

Default Re: [UK] Zegna - Madras Cardamon, Issey - Noir Argent, Cartier - L'Envol de Cartier EDP, Attar Al Gh

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    New additions and requests:

Swiss Arabian - Attar Al Ghutra 20ml £19/10ml £11.50
    Top notes are bergamot, mandarin orange, leather and saffron; middle notes are geranium, jasmine, patchouli and olibanum; base notes are sandalwood, leather, suede, amber and agarwood (oud).
    Really loving this at the moment! As I've said before, Tuscan Leather, as much as I love to smell it, I just can't wear it (same for Tobacco Vanille), its a bit too intense, a bit too much. This on the other hand is right up there, Ombre Leather too, but this has a nice sweet undertone which makes it more wearable, to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingScent View Post
    Ah, just counted and seen I was number 8 - if anybody drops out, give me a shout - ta

Default Re: [UK] Zegna - Madras Cardamon, Issey - Noir Argent, Cartier - L'Envol de Cartier EDP, Attar Al Gh

Really loving this at the moment! As I've said before, Tuscan Leather, as much as I love to smell it, I just can't wear it (same for Tobacco Vanille), its a bit too intense, a bit too much. This on the other hand is right up there, Ombre Leather too, but this has a nice sweet undertone which makes it more wearable, to me anyway.
    Agreed entirely. Ombre Leather and Attar Al Ghutra are definitely on my 'to purchase' list for next winter.

Basenotes Plus

Mont Blanc Explorer received thanks Palm. Initial thoughts are: The opening is very nice, quite close to Aventus, but this relatively soon gives way to the dry down and to my nose takes it into a slightly different and more synthetic/chemical direction. Possibly the Ambroxan and vetiver/ leather combo? It's nice enough and tbh very good for the price but there is still only one king. What's this secret addition though? Fruity bomb with crazy strong projection ? Actually layering the two works amazingly well !!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Mont Blanc Explorer received thanks Palm. Initial thoughts are: The opening is very nice, quite close to Aventus, but this relatively soon gives way to the dry down and to my nose takes it into a slightly different and more synthetic/chemical direction. Possibly the Ambroxan and vetiver/ leather combo? It's nice enough and tbh very good for the price but there is still only one king. What's this secret addition though? Fruity bomb with crazy strong projection ? Actually layering the two works amazingly well !!
    Hi Palm

Received my MBE too thanks. Not had chance to road test yet as just arrived back in the UK. Thanks for great service again. PS. Same question re the included little sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Agreed entirely. Ombre Leather and Attar Al Ghutra are definitely on my 'to purchase' list for next winter.
    Hi... I’m definitely up for a TF Ombré Leather split if you are interested...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by swall101 View Post
    Same question re the included little sample?
    It reminds me of Detaille - Miles but I'm not sure...

It reminds me of Detaille - Miles but I'm not sure...
    Very fruity and totally agree with the layering with this one... think it would go well in numerous combos.

Hey palm mbe arrived safe and sound as always
    ..not a bad scent and yes definitely smell sort of like Aventus!! There is a chemical thing going on as well but as a previous comment mentioned can’t complain for the price .. nice to try out but definitely not something I would buy .. that’s what makes these little splits great as it really does tweak what you think and what you need in your collection .
    Let’s see what comes up next ..
    cheers

Thanks for the feedback folks and yes I agree that Swiss Arabian is definitely an interesting house and worth checking as evidenced by AAG and the freebie which is called Shawq and is also from them. Pocket money prices, insane performance and decent compositions all round. Anyone else get a super strong "school yard with a bag full of pineapple cubes" vibe from that one? Its strength is absolutely insane though due to the amount of Ambrox they put in there and I actually quite like it and thought you lot might dig it as well.

As for the Explorer:

You ever pulled a girl in the club who looked like an 8 under those lights but a 5, maybe 6, with sober eyes? Thats how MBE is when you’re wearing it vs someone else.

As it projects off anothers skin the aromachemical arrangement is astoundingly Aventian albieit in the same way that a stick man approximates a human being in the sense that it gets the point across by pressing a few olfactive keys in a familiar way so your brain fills in the rest of the melody as your nose hums along. Up close and personal its a different story because, like the flood of derivative clones that schlep out every week with ever increasingly ludicrous names and shill laden reviews all obviously written by the same hand, its more Pretendvus than Aventus because it lacks so much of what makes the real deal what it is and these elements are conspicuous in their absence.

MBE obviously took a different approach to replicating the Creed offering and it does show and because of that its worth a sniff at least, even if just to satisfy your curiosity. Obviously not everyone has the same nose and not everyone is as nerdy as I about wood, pineapples, musk and all combinations thereof but these are my first impressions. Your mileage may, could, nay should vary and I look forward to hearing what you make of it.

Hi Palm, my MBE & AAG arrived just now along with the freebie. Not sampled the extra one yet as ran out of arms, but put a spray of each MBE & AAG on each arm.

Really impressed with both. Like the dry down on MBE, familiar but different in a nice way. AAG, wowser that’s a power house and a half! I’m sitting here with sleeves down on my fleece over the spray area and it’s like I’m sitting in a mist of it. Amazing scent, don’t think I will wear it for dinner tonight though just in case it projects a little too much.

Thanks again, great service. Look forward to the TOAK. You seem to be extracting money from me very easily lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
    Hi Palm, my MBE & AAG arrived just now along with the freebie. Not sampled the extra one yet as ran out of arms, but put a spray of each MBE & AAG on each arm.

Really impressed with both. Like the dry down on MBE, familiar but different in a nice way. AAG, wowser that’s a power house and a half! I’m sitting here with sleeves down on my fleece over the spray area and it’s like I’m sitting in a mist of it. Amazing scent, don’t think I will wear it for dinner tonight though just in case it projects a little too much.

Thanks again, great service. Look forward to the TOAK. You seem to be extracting money from me very easily lol.

I think you'll find you'll still be wearing AAG tonight Haha! I can still smell it and I sprayed it three days ago! Might have to take a belt sander to my wrist to get rid of it!

Btw, MBE arrived here too - Thanks Palm!

My MBE is here too cheers Palm.

Thoughts to follow....

Basenotes Plus

This Swiss Arabian Shawq is actually nice , especially layered, I might pick up a bottle - Notino have it for £17 for 100ml! That's insane lol

This Swiss Arabian Shawq is actually nice , especially layered, I might pick up a bottle - Notino have it for £17 for 100ml! That's insane lol
    Ah, is that the sample in with the MBE? Yeah I've got a spritz on my arm I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by dazbang View Post
    I think you'll find you'll still be wearing AAG tonight Haha! I can still smell it and I sprayed it three days ago! Might have to take a belt sander to my wrist to get rid of it!
    I put a spray on for dinner at 5pm giving it enough time to die down a little. It’s now 8.30 and I can still smell it despite having lit a bbq to cook overnight. I’m loving it.

Basenotes Plus

Ah, is that the sample in with the MBE? Yeah I've got a spritz on my arm I like it!
    Yes that's the sample, it's good stuff - amazing at that price!

mBE arrived for me too.
    Your summary nails it for me too. It's a 6 on me although the dry down after a couple of hours has maybe elevated it to a 7

The wee freebie is nice and fresh and fruity, the price looks insane value and it would be rude not to at that price point

The le labo TOAKs excluding santal worked in reverse for me with the drydowns changing my views. The bergamote I loved initially but not so much after wearing, the labdanum I didn't like but it really grew on me on dry down. I totally get the Johnsons baby powder vibe. Santal I liked throughout, theres something there that's familiar and reassuring. Excellent TOAK selection though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27