Code of Conduct

Default Vintage patchouli battle

Givenchy gentleman 1974 vs zino Davidoff
    And why?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Vintage patchouli battle

Those are two of the best developing fragrances I've tried. I have a preference for Givenchy Gentleman, although Zino also has an amazing base.

Differences between these 2?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I actually don't get much patchouli in Zino, mostly wilted florals, civet, and oakmoss. It's a descendent of Hammam Bouquet and cousin to both Ho Hang Club and Salvador Dali Pour Homme to me.

Givenchy Gentleman versus Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is a much more fair fight. Otherwise, the Givenchy clearly trounces the Davidoff
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman versus Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is a much more fair fight.
    +1!

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Thanks.

You should give Arrogance pour homme a try!

I has it

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    You should give Arrogance pour homme a try!
    Yes for sure
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Sballo by Bruno Acampora

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Givenchy Gentleman 1974 - for me more convincing representative, but I do also like the Davidoff.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by lovetribe View Post
    Differences between these 2?
    GG has some birch tar "leather", while Zino eschews the smoky notes for a fuller, richer, greener, and more animalic (civet) approach. I don't like smoky accords so I'm a Zino guy for sure.

Vintage Zino (cursive font) also has a great sandalwood accord totally missing from the later formula.

I actually don't get much patchouli in Zino, mostly wilted florals, civet, and oakmoss. It's a descendent of Hammam Bouquet and cousin to both Ho Hang Club and Salvador Dali Pour Homme to me.

Givenchy Gentleman versus Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is a much more fair fight. Otherwise, the Givenchy clearly trounces the Davidoff
    Zino has tons of patchouli (first thing my ex noted about it – she's a millenial and called it "hipster"!), but perhaps not so bare in the composition as GG.

Zealot, I don't mean to be pedantic - your overall vintage knowledge far outstrips mine - but one of Zino's biggest idiosyncrasies (for its time) was the complete absence of oakmoss and just about any other stereotypical 80s "macho" note. But you're definitely not the first to consider the possibility of an unlisted animalic note, although it's just not rude enough to strike me as civet, maybe good ol' 70s musk, or likelier still, a side effect of the massive floral bouquet. Patchouli seems the obvious focal point of the composition to my nose and is really the only green / herbal element present, save for a touch of sage.

To OP's question, you're pitting my two all-time favorites against one another. For sheer unadulterated patchouli pleasure it's Gentleman, but Zino's romantic / seductive powers are far greater.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Gg is darker?

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is the Big Daddy. Period.

Zino, Vip, Giorgio, Boss are great Patches, however GG is the rooting tooting, nasty Civet driven Vintage that set the course for their eruption.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 6th September 2018 at 07:45 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Agree to the above, however, the Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP Special Reserve triumphs all for me on vtg patchouli's.
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    Zealot, I don't mean to be pedantic - your overall vintage knowledge far outstrips mine - but one of Zino's biggest idiosyncrasies (for its time) was the complete absence of oakmoss and just about any other stereotypical 80s "macho" note. But you're definitely not the first to consider the possibility of an unlisted animalic note, although it's just not rude enough to strike me as civet, maybe good ol' 70s musk, or likelier still, a side effect of the massive floral bouquet. Patchouli seems the obvious focal point of the composition to my nose and is really the only green / herbal element present, save for a touch of sage.
    It's clary sage, and to my nose that is one of the more dominant accords in this dense composition. That and the herbal lavender eo make it very green indeed for me (although balanced by rich florals and vanilla of course). In addition, I think there is a ton of "macho" musk and civet here as well. You may be anosmic or something, but scroll through some reviews and note all the references to "garbage" and "rotting" to get an idea of how others perceive Zino's animalic character.

Default Vintage patchouli battle

You could also throw 1st formula-Boss (#1) into that battle? I know three's a crowd, but damn that's a great patchouli-powered fragrance, at least to my nose

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Agree to the above, however, the Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP Special Reserve triumphs all for me on vtg patchouli's.
    Ohhhh....nice! I only have samples but I really like it. It runs closer to GG to my nose. I have a body wash that stays on my sponge for days!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is the Big Daddy. Period.

Zino, Vip, Giorgio, Boss are great Patches, however GG is the rooting tooting, nasty Civet driven Vintage that set the course for their eruption.
    This is easily the best thing I've ever read about Givenchy Gentleman.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."