Code of Conduct

Default Good moisturizer/wrinkle reducer for men or women???

I don't really care who it is marketed to: I'm just looking for a good moisturizer/wrinkle reducer for acne prone skin??? Is retinol a good option?

Btw, I'm a 37 year old man. Thanks!

Default Re: Good moisturizer/wrinkle reducer for men or women???

Look into Retin-A, which is prescription only as far as I know. This is probably about the only thing proven to encourage collagen production in the skin (read: it's anti ageing) and treats acne. Personally, I tried to use it but couldn't due to how much it irritated my skin, but for most people it gets better once you stick with it for a few weeks.

Also, wear sunscreen every day. Especially if you use retinols and acids. See this thread here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/455...r-SPF-worth-it

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Look into Retin-A, which is prescription only as far as I know. This is probably about the only thing proven to encourage collagen production in the skin (read: it's anti ageing) and treats acne. Personally, I tried to use it but couldn't due to how much it irritated my skin, but for most people it gets better once you stick with it for a few weeks.

Also, wear sunscreen every day. Especially if you use retinols and acids. See this thread here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/455...r-SPF-worth-it
    What sunscreen do you use, if your face breaks out? Mine doesn't like having sunscreen on it, breaks out easily. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    What sunscreen do you use, if your face breaks out? Mine doesn't like having sunscreen on it, breaks out easily. Thanks!
    I don't suffer from severe breakouts anymore, but it's trial and error basically in finding out what will suit you, and what won't. Some people are sensitive to silicone and similar ingredients in sunscreen, others with dry skin dislike alcohol.

If you use Retinol during the day you really need to wear a sunscreen.
    DONNA

Retinol creams applied in the evening work well to reduce breakouts and help with wrinkles. But as Nastka was saying, the good ones (tretinoin) require a prescription, though they are not expensive. (Differin is the only non-prescription one).

Retinol creams dry the skin, plus as others said, you absolutely have to use SPF if using retinol. For acne prone skin, you can look for formulations called "light" or gel based (rather than cream or balms, which are more fatty). I use French pharmacy brands, like Avene Hydrance light. La Roche Posay has several too, including a serum/gel SPF.

cacio