Code of Conduct

Default Cashmeran analogs? Know if any?

I like cashmeran but it's a little bit strong, I'm wondering if there are any closely related materials that have slightly different properties. It's a great material but can we de better?

Default Re: Cashmeran analogs? Know if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Aromas Del Cielo View Post
    I like cashmeran but it's a little bit strong, I'm wondering if there are any closely related materials that have slightly different properties. It's a great material but can we de better?

Not sure what you mean by "better". That is a very subjective word.
    Your only concern is that it is strong?

Closely related:
    Cashmeran Velvet (a base of Iso E Super and Cashmeran and traces of Amber Xtreme.)
    AmberXtreme- an amazing IFF material

Although Cashmeran and it's cousins are often categorized as Polycyclic Musk they are not really of that structure.

Related cousins in the polycyclic musks are Phantolide(PFW), Celetolide(IFF), and Traseolide(Q)., all (Hydrated) indanes.

Iso E Super and all of it's many cousins I consider closely related to Cashmeran. Other may not.

Blog Entries

Are you sure that cashmeran velvet is a base? Tgsc says that it is a single chemical...
    Anyway did you try amber xtreme? Is t good and worth the money?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pobepto View Post
    Is (Amber Xtreme) good and worth the money?
    yes it is.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I like cashmeran but it's a little bit strong, I'm wondering if there are any closely related materials that have slightly different properties.
    See below for some alternatives:

e9c9439708b5b34f5fd46a430082a5bf.jpg

If you want something that stands out a bit less, then Okoumal may be one of the better choices.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    See below for some alternatives:

e9c9439708b5b34f5fd46a430082a5bf.jpg

If you want something that stands out a bit less, then Okoumal may be one of the better choices.
    Well, Except that all these examples given are ambers, and I don't consider Cashmeran as an amber.
    I consider Cashmeran as a spicy musky note. (not really "amber".)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Despite the whale in the background, many would be considered woody ambers and not simply ambers. Cashmeran is a woody musk. Obviously he should ignore things like Grisalva and Superambrox, which are simply ambers. I did consider mentioning this but I thought that it would be too obvious. Then again, he is a new member so maybe it wouldn't be to him.

It's worth mentioning that some of the woody ambers also possess musky undertones (Okoumal, Trimofix, etc.). Not to the same degree as Cashmeran, but he said that he wanted something a little different.
    Last edited by Pears; 8th September 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pobepto View Post
    Are you sure that cashmeran velvet is a base? Tgsc says that it is a single chemical...
    Anyway did you try amber xtreme? Is t good and worth the money?

I meant that the majority of Velvet is made up of Iso E Super and Cashmeran and traces of Amber Xtreme.
    It is not a single chemical., but it is also not what one would refer to as a "BASE" in perfumery parlance.

Yes AmberXtreme is worth experiencing and using.. an excellent material..... but if you are looking for something more subtle, I don't think it is your answer.

btw you didn't answer my question: what you mean by "better"? That is a very subjective word.
    Your only concern is that Cashmeran is strong?

Hey Pears... nice picture. thank you.
    btw, I consider Cashmeran a wood/musk, but it is obvious that everyone has their own opinion on where it belongs in the classification. A wonderful unique material to be sure

I'm glad that you liked the picture, Julian.

I would also consider Cashmeran a woody musk. He asked for something a little different so I suggested the woody ambers. Amber Xtreme could also be considered a woody amber. However, as you mentioned, it may be too strong for his liking. Okoumal is a woody amber with musky undertones, which may be mild enough for his liking. He could, of course, add a little Phantolide or Celestolide to enhance the muskiness.
    Last edited by Pears; 8th September 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

To my nose, cashmeran are a musk (between zenolide and galaxolide with a little little animals aspect,approximately...), a touch of coniferan aspect, a touch of sweet apple, and dry/wood/cement aspect...very good but not simply....i like cashmeran velvet,also....

Wow thanks for the response guys you exceeded my expectations! pkiler, where did you get that image? Id love to find more like that, to compare different compounds! I started perfumery about six months ago, but I’ve been studying chemistry for many years, it really helps me to put things in perspective when viewing the structures, theryre cool to look at also!

I guess I’m not quite sure what I’m looking for, I suppose cashmere is a little bit rough and “jolting” for lack of a better word. It didn’t quite meet the smooth cashmere that i had in mind. Maybe a little more floral, or yeah maybe a little more sweet/amber but im not sure exactly, something smoother to the senses.

Also not to sidetrack too far but i am a lover of ambergris notes, the first I tried was an ambergris accord from creatingperfumes.com, it was extreamely sweet and pretty nice, very different from the ambergris Fleuressence from perfumersworld (theirs is good but less sweet and more subtle)...anyone have an idea of what they use for the ambergris accord at creatingperfume.com, I’m thinking it may contain Grisalva, I’m getting some soon!

You make amber extreame sound quite nice, I’ll have to pick up some too. Maybe I’ll check out the velvet Cashmeran also.

So I've ended up liking Cashmeran more haha, after much examination. It is very crisp and fresh compared to similar scents I now have. Although I dont think the name represents it well, it is not a velvety smooth material like Cashmere is supposed to be, I suppose that was my original intention, to find a compound that is similar yet resembles cashmere more closely. Yes mixing with Iso e super might help, but I'm hoping for a new compound still. For the record I picked up Norlimbanol for a sandalwood note and it turned out to be like Cash', yet a little more subtle! ( and from what Ive been studying, the structure looks easier for our body to handle, I might focus more on this compound in the future, polycyclic musks have been found to build up in the body :/, not good if you apply these to your skin) anyway, I thought this was interesting because the structure is quite different from Cash, but smells nearly identical but maybe a little less sophisticated. Yes Amber X was good too, slightly more ambery yet a nearly identical scent.

And I was so excited for Grisalva and guess what, I'm basically anosmic! What a surprise, I'm still searching for an awesome, even more powerful Ambroxan type note, I'm headed for Ambermax next , and a few others...

So I've ended up liking Cashmeran more haha, after much examination. It is very crisp and fresh compared to similar scents I now have. Although I dont think the name represents it well, it is not a velvety smooth material like Cashmere is supposed to be, I suppose that was my original intention, to find a compound that is similar yet resembles cashmere more closely. Yes mixing with Iso e super might help, but I'm hoping for a new compound still. For the record I picked up Norlimbanol for a sandalwood note and it turned out to be like Cash', yet a little more subtle! ( and from what Ive been studying, the structure looks easier for our body to handle, I might focus more on this compound in the future, polycyclic musks have been found to build up in the body :/, not good if you apply these to your skin) anyway, I thought this was interesting because the structure is quite different from Cash, but smells nearly identical but maybe a little less sophisticated. Yes Amber X was good too, slightly more ambery yet a nearly identical scent.

And I was so excited for Grisalva and guess what, I'm basically anosmic! What a surprise, I'm still searching for an awesome, even more powerful Ambroxan type note, I'm headed for Ambermax next , and a few others...
    Smell Coromandel by Chanel and you'll love cashmeran for eternity. In the right hands it is magical.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrater View Post
    Smell Coromandel by Chanel and you'll love cashmeran for eternity. In the right hands it is magical.
    On the other hand,
    Smell "Big Bad Cedar," ...and you`ll see how an overdose of cashmeran can spoil a dry down.
    This is of course, just MHO.
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

Does anyone know the original source of that image posted above? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Macaul View Post
    Does anyone know the original source of that image posted above? Thanks!
    Yeah those comparisons are awesome right!? I found them, but it's not easy to search, anyone know how to search specifically that section on the site?

Check out the raw materials section of fragrantica

fragrantica.com/news/Raw-Materials/

Cashmeran is pretty unique, the modifications of it (Moxalone and others) remain captive. Even these years after its release it still surprises me. I don't have any suggestions other than to consider rosamusk. Some qualities of it, particularly generic ones, have a Cashmeran-like edge to me. But if you like Cashmeran but find it too strong, why not use less?