Code of Conduct

Default Green Olive notes - any recommendations?

Dear community,

I'm looking for a note that is remniscent of green Olives (Olea europaea). I'm interested in exploring anything from wood to fruit, natural tindctures to synthetic fantasy blends. Is there anything recommended?

Not sure, if I should start another thread for it but I am also looking for current recommendations for tobacco leaf-notes.
    Currently wearing: bne by Pierre Balmain

Default Re: Green Olive notes - any recommendations?

Hermitage oils sells an olive absolute:

https://hermitageoils.com/product/olive-absolute/

And a few tobacco absolutes.

White Lotus:

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/p...olive-absolute

Liberty Natural carries an olive leaf tincture as well. Both in the US.

I can't say that I've looked into the aroma of green olives before. You may find the study below of some use:

https://eurekamag.com/pdf/004/004471215.pdf

Olives (green, or otherwise) often remind me somewhat of styrax or peru balsam. I don't know what the responsible chemical is, and it's something that I've been curious about for some time. The mention of an aldehyde with a "parrafin oil" type note in the above linked study is very interesting. Also listed is styrene and a couple of derivatives. In some other studies I've seen cinnamic acid mentioned in relation to olives. I haven't ever had any pure cinnamic acid to smell, but cinnamic alcohol sometimes reminds me of olives; perhaps because it has oxidised to the acid?

Interesting topic.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the helpful responses!

honestly,
    I find the drydown in styrax to smell similar to good olive oil.

And also castoreum have a olive-derivates note. Especially mixed castoreum+salicylates.

Indeed, the similarity could be due to cinnamic acid, as Renegade suggested. Cinnamic acid is also found in crude palm oil, which has a similar smell to olive oil (minus the green aspects). It's worth mentioning that much of the styrax resinoid on the market these days is reconstituted with a combination of styrax absolute and synthetics. If you can't get the absolute then you may need to shop around to find a good quality resinoid.

Peru balsam also contains cinnamic acid, but also (E)-nerolidol - a compound detected in the above study. It's sensory description in the study ("oil of car") may partly be explained by the fact that it has a waxy odour - motor oil being composed of hydrocarbons slightly shorter than paraffin waxes.

You may also find the study on black "Greek-style" olives, below, of use. They compared the volatiles in green olives (from the above study) to those found in black olives. The levels of (E)-nerolidol, (E,Z)-2,4-decadienal, (E,E)-2,4-decadienal and (E)-2-decenal were significantly higher in black olives than green, which may partly explain why black olives often smell considerably more greasy or waxy (for further comparisons, see Table 1).

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/646...e3d38bcf21.pdf

Many thanks! This really gives me a lot to look into. To me there's quite a difference between green and black olives - both in taste and smell. Black olives can have a very distinct medicinal edge to them, that I am not very fond of.

You're welcome, Nasenmann. The medicinal aspect may in part be due to the increased levels of guaiacol in black olives. I posted the study so that you could compare and better isolate those compounds (or levels) specific to green olives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    The levels of (E)-nerolidol, (E,Z)-2,4-decadienal, (E,E)-2,4-decadienal and (E)-2-decenal were significantly higher in black olives than green, which may partly explain why black olives often smell considerably more greasy or waxy...
    The lactones (γ-octalactone, γ-decalactone, δ-decalactone and γ-dodecalactone) detected in black but not green olives, would also contribute to the greasy or fatty aroma.

Fatty is fine, in fact I need it to be. The plan is to recreate the simple but intriguing smell of traditional lebanese soap that's mainly Olive and Laurel. Once I get there (in the ballpark at least), I want to modify it in a couple of ways. I think getting that the oily soap texture out of an alcohol-based fragrance in combination of the simplistic note combination is going to be the main challenge since the traditional aldehydes that I know, have too many other aspects that simply don't belong into this particular soap,

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I think getting that the oily soap texture out of an alcohol-based fragrance in combination of the simplistic note combination is going to be the main challenge since the traditional aldehydes that I know, have too many other aspects that simply don't belong into this particular soap,
    By traditional, I assume that you mean the saturated aliphatic aldehydes (e.g., hexanal, heptanal, octanal, nonanal, etc.). These are actually found in olive oil, so you should be able to use them in moderation, along with the unsaturated aldehydes (the latter are more important to the overall odour). For a list of aldehydes found in olive oil, see the first section of Table 3 in the study below:

http://www.elsevierscitech.com/pdfs/...ecompounds.pdf

It's worth mentioning that the esters, carboxylic acids and phenols (guaiacol) listed in the table would largely be neutralised during the soap making process. However, the soap would most likely be superfatted to around 1-10%, so a small proportion of them would survive the process. You would therefore probably want to reduce but perhaps not entirely omit them from the blend.

Thank you very much, Pears! Super-valuable information right there! I'm definitely not operating on your level of chemical knowledge but I think I can make good use of some of this. I'll report back here, once I made some progress that's worth mentioning.