Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default The Trouble with Tuberose

Suzy Nightingale spends a week with tuberose despite her finding the note akin to being shot through the head with a silver bullet. Will she be turned by tuberose?

Read the rest of the article here

rabid aroma explorer

Default Re: The Trouble with Tuberose

It took some time for me to appreciate tuberose. I found it rather noxious for years. As I began to take perfume [somewhat] seriously I have learned to enjoy it - at times love it. It can be very overpowering to me, in some perfumes. I just tried By Kilian's Beyond Love yesterday. I found it has one of the best uses of tuberose I've sampled, in recent months. So, it can be done - creating a scent with the mighty "tubey", as not to knock one over with its aggressive nature.
    "Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art" ~~ Richard Avedon
    Currently wearing: Hydromancy by Sixteen92

Blog Entries

lnteresting article Suzy, but you really need to try Carnal Flower!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ma Bête by Eris Parfums

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Tuberose and I simply don't seem to get along, at least a strong tuberose.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Somehow I got along fine with tuberose since Day 1.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Missing Oakmoss

I can see how tuberose might be an acquired taste, though - like Diamondflame - I cottoned to it from the start. There are so many iterations to try, and one of them could be the "gateway fragrance" that opens up appreciation for the others.

queen of the universe

Fun read, but, where's Lutens? Tubereuse Criminelle socks you upside the head with Pepto-Bismol, then settles into luxury.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Chamade by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Fun read, but, where's Lutens? Tubereuse Criminelle socks you upside the head with Pepto-Bismol, then settles into luxury.
    I absolutely love, that statement.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like tuberose. It can be too much sometimes in some compositions, but it’s a strong, exciting note, and tuberose fragrances can be memorable. A lot can still be done, I think, with masculine tuberoses, using it slightly muted.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    It took some time for me to appreciate tuberose. I found it rather noxious for years. As I began to take perfume [somewhat] seriously I have learned to enjoy it - at times love it. It can be very overpowering to me, in some perfumes. I just tried By Kilian's Beyond Love yesterday. I found it has one of the best uses of tuberose I've sampled, in recent months. So, it can be done - creating a scent with the mighty "tubey", as not to knock one over with its aggressive nature.
    Yes, I so hoped it would work for me. I take perfume very seriously, and tuberose was the only note I really found myself staying away from, so wanted to challenge myself properly. I’m so happy Beyond Love works for you, though!
    “Dignity is like a perfume; those who use it are scarcely conscious of it”

- Christina of Sweden (Queen of Sweden, 1632-54)

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lnteresting article Suzy, but you really need to try Carnal Flower!
    Thank you! And I’ve tried Carnal Flower fairly recently, it is extremely interesting (and not at all as I imagine tuberose) but it wasn’t part of my seven day experirment.

Thanks! Yes there are lots of others I could have tried, but as I wanted to give each one an entire day for a week, I chose differing types of tuberose (or rather, used in differing ways) to test my varying reactions. And I’d already started with a sucker-punch one! I could have gone on for two months, each time trying a new one, but that’s more of a book rather than an online article ;-)

Yes I totally agree, and think there’s a lot more that could be done. I suppose for me tuberose only really works on my skin when it’s contained and soothes by something else. I also think more ‘masculine’ interpretations would be really interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    Thank you! And I’ve tried Carnal Flower fairly recently, it is extremely interesting (and not at all as I imagine tuberose) but it wasn’t part of my seven day experirment.
    That's good to know! For me it's a reference tuberose, along with Fracas & Beyond Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    Yes I totally agree, and think there’s a lot more that could be done. I suppose for me tuberose only really works on my skin when it’s contained and soothes by something else. I also think more ‘masculine’ interpretations would be really interesting.
    For a "masculine" tuberose, l recommend Tubereuse 3 L'Animale by Histoires des Parfums, & Tubereuse Couture by Parfumerie Generale.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ma Bête by Eris Parfums

Basenotes Plus

What a lovely, lively article!

I was tuberose-averse, until I tried Vero Profumo's Rozy, which somehow leavens and defangs that particular floral.

Lovely article as always dear Suzy!

I really appreciate the aroma of tuberose in perfumes! One of my favorites actually, deep, thick and carnal! Fracas still stands the epitomy of the tuberose note for me!!!

ps: It's not only Starch by SJP the new Hollywood trend for the tuberose note in perfumes...it was Madonna's Truth or Dare one of the first approaches for tuberose!
    LOVE IS BEST http://sophiloves.simplesite.com/429114763
    " I think part of my success as an editor came from never worrying about a fact, a cause, an atmosphere. It was me—projecting to the public. That was my job. I think I always had a perfectly clear view of what was possible for the public. Give 'em what they never knew they wanted." DiANA VREELAND

I love tuberose. :)

It's my favourite fragrance ingredient.

I don't love all tuberose fragrances, though.

I'm fair skinned (not sure if that is at all relevant, or not, but seeing as you mentioned blondes) and was naturally blonde as a child (kind of Nordic looking) and always struggle to find fragrances that suit me. :/

The current, overly sweet, totally synthetic ones are obviously OK on me, as they smell the same on everyone.

Problem is, I don't like them.

I like the more idiosynchratic, unstable, natural (or less synthetic, anyway) fragrances that smell different on everyone and change over time.

Problem with them is, most tend to turn sour on me.

Fracas, for example, is absolutely horrible on me.

I think my grandmother had some, when I was a child and it smells (oddly enough!) of tombstones, to my nose.

Hardly of tuberose, at all.

Maybe of a single tuberose, in a dismal, wilting violet bouquet, leant up against a wet gravestone...?

Not good at all.

I have a feeling much older relatives wore it to funerals, when I was little.

Then there is Carnal Flower - which, again, hardly smells of tuberose, at all, on my skin.

The eucalyptus is overwhelming and totally masculine, in my opinion and then it more-or-less disappears, with barely even a hint of tuberose appearing.

Smells good on my darker skinned (half Asian) boyfriend, though.

Still too much eucalyptus, in my opinion - but, at least he's male, so it smells more appropriate and the tuberose does develop nicely on him.

There are various other tuberose fragrances that are neither good, nor totally bad, in my opinion.

Bland and overly girly would probably be the best description of most of them.

Then there are the really good ones (on me, at least):

Giorgio Beverly Hills - yep, if all else fails, there's always Giorgio!

Forget the associations you may have, or may have been told about.

If it suits your body chemistry, just use in moderation and enjoy it for what it is; a sexy, creamy, peachy/apricot, slightly woody/smoky, white floral tuberose.

Then there's Michael Kors by Michael Kors - a delicious, sophisticated, smoky, creamy, rubbery and (sometimes) bananary tuberose.

Will have to try some of the newer ones, when I can get around to it.

Problem is, I am so often disappointed by fragrances, that it tends to put me off even trying to find something new.
    Currently wearing: Love Tuberose by Amouage

Welcome to Basenotes, Tigerseye!
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Thank you for sharing your journey with Tuberose. It is such an interesting and intimidating note. I own Gucci Bloom (as well as others that contain tuberose that aren't mentioned). I know it can start off as strong, but it softens up so nicely. I always get compliments when I wear it.

Welcome to Basenotes, Sneitzke!
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Member

The Pepto comparison is hilarious. I do get the camphor in the beauty. One of my all time favorites.

My tuning with tuberose is just fine. I get along with it well.

I have no trouble with it

Beyond Love and Lutens' Cedre are both stunning examples

You should also put Diptyque's Do Son on the list, Tuberose with orange leaves and pink peppercorn , has a slight sea breeze freshness that is not listed but is part of the story of the scent's creation.

Basenotes Junkie

I tried the Goutal tuberose and I liked it. A bit linear and simple but without those difficult nuances of the tuberose ..

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Tuberose gives me the Bluebertoes
    oh look, I have a signature