Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Risks of Buying Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Some Ebayers are showing the opened packaging, the bottle, and adding "packaging opened to take photo." That's good! Personally, I will pay more for that bottle, than one in a sealed Mystery Box.
    Same here. My dream bottle has very little evaporation, sealed with baudruchage intact, in a reasonably well maintained box - preferably with a general note as to where the perfume was obtained (estate sale, rummage sale, antique store, etc.) and how it has been stored since purchase.

Agree about the tape, too. For an opened bottle, I like Parafilm because it stretches to make a tight seal - but plumber's tape also works well. Sticky tape is very inefficient at minimizing leaks, and often leaves an annoying residue on bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi Marand75-

I don't think I've purchased from you, but who knows? You seem to be doing well, but here are a couple of tips from a vintager.

When you write "sealing tape" do you mean sticky tape? If so, perhaps try plumber's tape, which seals tightly when wrapped but it is not sticky. I don't like getting bottles with sticky tape on them.

I prefer to buy unopened bottles that were stored in their boxes, but I like to see a photo of the bottle. Seeing a photo of a worn vintage box with old cellophane just makes me move on, since I can have no idea of the condition of the bottle inside. Some Ebayers are showing the opened packaging, the bottle, and adding "packaging opened to take photo." That's good! Personally, I will pay more for that bottle, than one in a sealed Mystery Box.
    Hi, Grayspoole!

Thank you for replying.
    Yes, plumbers tape is what I use. No sticky stuff.
    Unfortunately, pre-owned bottles are not always boxed or completely full, but I always provide detailed pics and descriptions.
    If a box is factory sealed, I put it on a digital scale for a photo, as I've learned that many customers prefers it sealed for the thrill of opening it themselves.
    Thanks again,
    /martin

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Hi, Grayspoole!
    Thank you for replying.
    Yes, plumbers tape is what I use. No sticky stuff.
    Unfortunately, pre-owned bottles are not always boxed or completely full, but I always provide detailed pics and descriptions.
    If a box is factory sealed, I put it on a digital scale for a photo, as I've learned that many customers prefers it sealed for the thrill of opening it themselves.
    Hi Marand75-
    Showing the box on the scale is an excellent idea. I don't worry about buying sealed boxed perfumes that are less than 10-15 years old, but I frequently buy perfumes that are 40 or 50 years old and even more, and then I do like to see the bottle. In that period of time, I've learned that anything can happen inside the Mystery Box.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

I buy all my vintage in person that way I know what I get. I did my first Ebay buy a month ago and got a good deal on quite a rare bottle without any problems so I'll probably do it again.
    As for Estsy the prices are always way too high for a bargain hunter like me.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Risks of Buying Vintage

I mitigate, with the thought, that it's only perfume. Pig in a Poke.

Would say, that on the whole, I've purchased many Vintages, boxed, unboxed, cello-d or not, damaged or not, opened Splash or not, with little disappointment. That is largely because with Vintage pre 90's ,I tend to concentrate on the Heart and Base.
    Alcohol and Citrus notes tend to change and take on an acetone-ing , which doesn't disturb my nose.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    I mitigate, with the thought, that it's only perfume. Pig in a Poke.

Would say, that on the whole, I've purchased many Vintages, boxed, unboxed, cello-d or not, damaged or not, opened Splash or not, with little disappointment. That is largely because with Vintage pre 90's ,I tend to concentrate on the Heart and Base.
    Alcohol and Citrus notes tend to change and take on an acetone-ing , which doesn't disturb my nose.
    Hi, pc.
    Same for me 100%. I don't think I've ever been disappointed. Just a few days ago, I even did a fantastic purchase of an early 70s splash-bottle of YSL Pour Homme with the citrus-top actually still beautiful. Have had the same experience with R de Capucci. Ofcourse those two have strong citrus-tops to begin with, maybe that's why they're so 'well preserved'.
    /martin

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Roky, I am glad that luck has been on your side for so long. May it continue to be this way for you for as long as you purchase vintages and/or used fragrances.

Meanwhilst, one of friends forwarded this message to me this afternoon. She wrote to this seller who wants to decant all fragrances for shipping about her concerns over decanting fragrances and the problems it could create. The seller replied that it was necessary to decant fragrances in order to stop dishonest buyers from claiming their fragrances had leaked out during shipping and thus wanting their monies refunded. My friend replied that she understood "why" seller wanted to decant the fragrances but that fact did not negate the problems that could arise from decanting, and she herself would not wish her fragrance to be decanted into another bottle, so she would not bid on the fragrance. To my friend's utter astonishment (and to my own as well!) this seller replied:

"You still don't understand after I've thoroughly explained my policies and procedures. So, thanks for not bidding.

You're an arrogant, unempathetic IDIOT."

I am stunned to say the least. Can you believe anyone would speak this way to anyone else just because the person explained why she would not want a fragrance decanted? Makes me wonder if this seller would speak this way to someone in person.... Words fail me at the total lack of basic manners much less professionalism. My mouth literally dropped open whence I read the message.

I told my friend to be glad she found out how this person treats people BEFORE she ever made the mistake of buying from her/him. If a seller would treat a potential buyer this way, can you imagine how it would be to have to deal with this seller if a problem arose once the item was received?? Wow!!!

ETA: My friend said this seller has bidders's user names hidden. Hmm, I wonder why..... If I was rather put off buying unsealed vintages before, now I am sure it is a risk I will not take again. Not worth the aggravation, and definitely not worth verbal abuse from a total stranger. I advised my friend to report the abusive email. I hope she takes the time to report it.
    Thank you!
    Reading this thread makes me sceptical, more than ever. I've really had some good luck all these years ... .
    This story ... well ... I'm perplexed ... no words for this. Decanted or not - afterwards I think this very much feels like a rip-off from the first minute. This sellers jargon sounds like the the guys selling crappy drugs on main station, not vintage fumes.
    I'd also report this to the admins of the buying site. Thank you & enjoy!
    Tim

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Hi, pc.
    Same for me 100%. I don't think I've ever been disappointed. Just a few days ago, I even did a fantastic purchase of an early 70s splash-bottle of YSL Pour Homme with the citrus-top actually still beautiful. Have had the same experience with R de Capucci. Ofcourse those two have strong citrus-tops to begin with, maybe that's why they're so 'well preserved'.
    /martin

Well! My current 'Pig in a Poke" turned out pretty good. Caron Tabac Blond Lotion Cologne, that's like a "Modern Day" EDT in actual wear. Net Content 5 3/4 oz. The Vintage Parfum has been unicorned for years.

tabac blond lotion.jpg
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Well! My current 'Pig in a Poke" turned out pretty good. Caron Tabac Blond Lotion Cologne, that's like a "Modern Day" EDT in actual wear. Net Content 5 3/4 oz. The Vintage Parfum has been unicorned for years.

tabac blond lotion.jpg
    Wow! That's just delicious. Congrats, pc

Missing Oakmoss

Marvelous find, purecaramel.

I had an ebay seller send me a very old bottle of vintage antaeus that hadn't even appeared to have been opened with a box and everything that lost half of its contents in transit. She apparently opened the bottle, put saran wrap over the top including the threads, and put a piece of cotton ball on top of all that and then screwed the top down. Literally all she had to do was nothing and it would have arrived fine. I was very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Marvelous find, purecaramel.
    +1 Looks lovely. Congrats!
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    I had an ebay seller send me a very old bottle of vintage antaeus that hadn't even appeared to have been opened with a box and everything that lost half of its contents in transit. She apparently opened the bottle, put saran wrap over the top including the threads, and put a piece of cotton ball on top of all that and then screwed the top down. Literally all she had to do was nothing and it would have arrived fine. I was very disappointed.
    Oh, dear!!! Makes you wonder how some people's minds must work on a day to day basis if they would do something like that!! Wow! So sorry!
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Oh, dear!!! Makes you wonder how some people's minds must work on a day to day basis if they would do something like that!! Wow! So sorry!
    How extraordinary!, especially the cotton ball idea. An unfortunate excess of good intentions...

I am beginning to think that I have been very lucky so far.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

I'm buying Vintage things from around 4-5 years. It's kind of risky because if you're not expert in this, you'll surely loose your money. Expert advise is always mand.

Missing Oakmoss

Successful vintage buying involves googling for hours on end, bookmarking sites that describe production years, bottle designs and labels, and being willing to make mistakes on items that won't break the bank. Now and then, even buyers who've enjoyed good luck will come up against disappointments, and those are liquid "memos to self." There's also an element of educated guesswork and intuition that's based on solid grounding (knowing the historical background of what one is searching for) - I've gone with my gut many times, but only after doing the necessary research. A bottle might look fine, box intact, but something doesn't seem right; or you might think an item lacks distinction or doesn't cost as much as expected, but you just have a sense it's okay to buy. If you cut your teeth on less expensive items, learning can be fun. The temptation to act impulsively because of time pressures on auction sites, without doing preliminary groundwork, can be almost irresistible - and often costly. There are no guarantees, no matter how practiced one becomes at vintage buying, but with due diligence, successes outweigh disappointments.

That said, who could possibly imagine a seller decanting a sealed bottle into Tupperware! Or slapping a cotton ball on top of saran wrap under a cap! It's hard even to dream that someone selling good perfume would go there.