Code of Conduct
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Papyrus Oud/71 - Thoughts?

Has any one especially in Europe tried this new one yet? Just bought it and looking for impressions from others. Thanks.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/457...=1#post4444311
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Papyrus Oud/71 - Thoughts?

Definitely keeping a close eye on this one!
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Italian Leather by Memo

Where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? From what I understood it was supposed to be a Selfridge's exclusive upon release but I don't see it on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    Where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? From what I understood it was supposed to be a Selfridge's exclusive upon release but I don't see it on their website.
    Have no information about the Selfridges deal, but a business associate of mine got it for me yesterday in Paris and shipped it to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Has any one especially in Europe tried this new one yet? Just bought it and looking for impressions from others. Thanks.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/457...=1#post4444311
    If this was the one mentioned in the Gucci PH 1 thread as being similar color me interested. I’d like to hear your impression.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    If this was the one mentioned in the Gucci PH 1 thread as being similar color me interested. Iíd like to hear your impression.
    Yes, this is the same scent and so Iīm also very curious about this one.
    On another site I found this information below, also stating the direct line between this one and Gucci pour Homme:
    "According to the brand, Papyrus Oud/71 represents Michel Almairac's original idea of Gucci pour Homme (2003), created by him under the creative direction of Tom Ford Ė not considering the modifications Tom Ford asked for."

Tried this one. A beautiful comeback of Gucci Pour Homme I. One-in-one.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Makes sense

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    sounds good to me!

Missed this thread ( had never really heard of the label)....but wow, this sounds like something I would most definitely want to at least try. Glad it made it to the market.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

For those Americans waiting for the Selfridges exclusive to be over, it is. Luckyscent got Papyrus Oud in as of today. Armed with a gift certificate from my aunt and uncle to use on the stink water of my choice, I decided to order a 50 ml of Papyrus Oud on Day One of US availability, knowing that it will probably be backordered in a week or less given the hype of “the second coming of Gucci Pour Homme I” and people that desperately miss that fragrance. Pricing wasn’t bad, either: $145 for a 50 ml bottle - sure beats eBay prices for Gucci Pour Homme I, which was discontinued before I could buy a bottle. (Luckyscent also offers a 100 ml bottle.)

I’ll be back with my impressions of Papyrus Oud not long after the man in brown shows up. Also, remember the oud-loving boss I had at an ad agency? Both the agency and the boss are gone, and I think this will be a great tribute to him - he was a Barneys vet as well, and this is the type of scent that he would have adored.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

They now have the newest one that's been available in Europe for the last month Gardens Of India/79, but for some strange reason, they're not carrying the 100ml size.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't really like Papyrus Oud, I think Bentley for Men Absolu is a better fragrance

Basenotes Plus

Gonna order a sample of Papyrus Oud & Gardens Of India.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique díOrient
    2.LíHeure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996
    6.LíHeure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by RawMia View Post
    Gonna order a sample of Papyrus Oud & Gardens Of India.
    Had to order a whole bottle - blind - myself. I had wanted to buy GPHI during its brief time on the fragrance counter, but I was in the first difficult period in my life due to back surgery induced PTSD. I had very limited income and had to reserve my fragrance purchases for TJ Maxx and online discounters. By the time I had the resources to buy a full bottle, it was gone. I consider the years when I suffered from PTSD to be a sad lost period in my life, saved only by going to community college half time. By the time I fully recovered to a stable state, many scents that I wanted to try or buy were gone forever or reformulated. Of my top three wants, GPHI was one, M7 Fresh was a second, and Escada Magnetism for Men was the third.

So the concept of that scent in the original formula that the perfumer envisioned was perfect. (While I donít ever anticipate Magnetism to make a comeback, I think Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche to be like M7 Fresh minus the oud, with minerals instead of oud.) And as much as admire Luckyscent, if history is any indication, I have to act fast because it will be backordered in a week. Or in this case, the second coming of GPHI as the perfumer intended, probably less. This meant one thing: I was lucky to get a 50 ml Papyrus Oud on day one of US retail availability. I prefer smaller bottles because I donít put many sprays on, and the 50 to 75 ml range is my preference.

At least this was a low risk blind buy, even at $145 for 50 ml, because of the story. I had a nasty experience with Montale Fougeres Marines that forced me to completely rethink my blind buy strategy. From that point on, I had to focus blind buys over $100 on scents that were in low-risk genres based on my personal tastes. Anything risky needs sampling first. (Example: More than Words was a safe blind buy for me due to notes like oud, ambergris, vanilla, and rose. But even though I love it as well, Nasomatto Duro was purchased only after I could sample it due to a polarizing reputation here and 100% secret notes.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

I'll be ordering a bottle soon. I've been waiting for this to arrive for a while. Looking forward to it and also looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Basenotes Junkie

Update - received my bottle and I'm a couple of hours in after three sprays. Very reminiscent of GPH I, right out of the gate. There's noticeably more depth especially with the incense note. Beautifully done.

Got my bottle yesterday. Great fragrance. Yes, there is a similarity to Gucci Pour Homme, right down to the extreme woodiness in the drydown. But overall, a beautiful fragrance that feels like an extension of you, not a layer.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I look forward to sampling this one. I just found out about this fragrance now.

Gucci Pour Homme was a gift for me, pre-Basenotes, and I remember joining BN and everyone sort of explaining to me what a masterpiece GPH was, how Tom Ford was involved in its development at Gucci, etc. Then it got disco'd.

I did enjoy sampling the Bentley For Men Absolu scent - I thought it was very well done.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse