Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Ensar Oud Releases EO No 2 Musk-based EDP and Pure Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    they’re shipping out of Amman, Jordan via DHL. what do you want him to do bro?
    I have lived in the Middle East and order things from there all the time. It does NOT cost $25 to internationally ship something the size of a small letter.

25$ two day international shipping with DHL. Pricey but I'll pay it. I've ordered from EO, Agar Aura, Feel Oud. All in the same price range and I've never had anything miss a delivery, arrive damaged, get stuck in customs. It's worth the piece of mind in my estimation

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I have lived in the Middle East and order things from there all the time. It does NOT cost $25 to internationally ship something the size of a small letter.
    i live on the east coast and can’t ship anything UPS Ground to California for less than $30.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Right. For a full bottle I'm fine with $25, but not for a sample. Screw DHL. Use a service that takes longer but is affordable. Nobody in their right mind pays more for shipping than the contents value.

I order shoes and t-shirts from China all the time. No shipping charges. It takes 3 weeks, but I'm willing to wait.
    Last edited by thebeck; 7th October 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Right. For a full bottle I'm fine with $25, but not for a sample. Screw DHL. Use a service that takes longer but is affordable. Nobody in their right mind pays more for shipping than the contents value.

I order shoes and t-shirts from China all the time. No shipping charges. It takes 3 weeks, but I'm willing to wait.
    it’s at this point that you GET OVER IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR5wKfHHqJo

Nikhil's latest discussion about musk.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Right. For a full bottle I'm fine with $25, but not for a sample. Screw DHL. Use a service that takes longer but is affordable.
    - Affordable.
    - Testing your way into the potential purchase of a $800 musk.

Pick one.

No personal attack on you, but that sample provided is of the pure parfum. Just lol @ complaining about $40 as you contemplate the purchase of an $800 musk fragrance.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    - Affordable.

Pick one.

No personal attack on you, but that sample provided is of the pure parfum. Just lol @ complaining about $40 as you contemplate the purchase of an $800 musk fragrance.
    I won't be purchasing ANY $800 bottles of perfume, but I would like to smell a scent before I purchase a $70 decant. (I'm cheap that way!) I simply never buy blind.

- Affordable.

Pick one.

Just to let you know. I don't have any intention on buying an $800 bottle. Out of my league. I just can't resist sometimes, and have to at least sample, even if I'll never own a bottle. I try to sample the ones that interest me.
    Sampling perfumes is more the hobby for me, rather than purchasing bottles.

Basenotes Plus

Here's a nice review from a good and friendly You Tuber
    Juan
    covering
    Ensar No 2

hope you enjoy
    Last edited by JBS1; 10th October 2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: cantspeeel

Dependent

People are getting rid of this one as fast as they get it. I think I’ve seen 3 or 4 for sale in the last week on here and in groups. Must be horrific lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    People are getting rid of this one as fast as they get it. I think I’ve seen 3 or 4 for sale in the last week on here and in groups. Must be horrific lol.
    Not at all horrific in my opinion. It's actually well done, but there lies the problem. It's simply boring.

Oud by nature is very complex, so there is a lot to unpack/enjoy with one's senses. Musk, not so much and I don't want to say this is "linear" but it's just not very interesting. It's a very rich high quality musk... and? ...and the wearer is left with that feeling of "and" with no response "and" I guess (lulz) this prompts them to get rid of it. At least that's why I swapped my decant of it.

This is an eye-opener for those who scoff at brands like Roja Dove who may not have gutted the wild deer or distilled the oud from the trees themselves BUT they usually end up putting together a frag that's at least interesting. In my opinion Ensar's #1 was interesting because the scent was different almost every time I stopped to put my nose to it. It was constantly developing, or in other words "complex". On the other hand you have Areej Le Dore's Russian Oud where Adam "dressed up" his oud with other complimentary notes that made it so interesting and enjoyable.

Move on to the musks, Areej again dressed up his Russian Musk with some lovely citrus and pine notes to make it put a smile on your face and make it bloody enjoyable. Ensar can write you the most detailed 2,000 word blog post as to why his Musk is the "Haute de Musk" and worth every penny of his $400 and $800 asking price, but when you strip the price tag and elaborate sales pitch it is just a painfully boring composition that I personally didn't see the need to finish a 5ml decant of much less a $400 50ml bottle. Lessons to fans of Bortnikoff, Areej Le Dore, and Ensar. No matter how much you may like a perfumer, no one's line is entirely blind buy worthy.
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

Not at all horrific in my opinion. It's actually well done, but there lies the problem. It's simply boring.

Oud by nature is very complex, so there is a lot to unpack/enjoy with one's senses. Musk, not so much and I don't want to say this is "linear" but it's just not very interesting. It's a very rich high quality musk... and? ...and the wearer is left with that feeling of "and" with no response "and" I guess (lulz) this prompts them to get rid of it. At least that's why I swapped my decant of it.

This is an eye-opener for those who scoff at brands like Roja Dove who may not have gutted the wild deer or distilled the oud from the trees themselves BUT they usually end up putting together a frag that's at least interesting. In my opinion Ensar's #1 was interesting because the scent was different almost every time I stopped to put my nose to it. It was constantly developing, or in other words "complex". On the other hand you have Areej Le Dore's Russian Oud where Adam "dressed up" his oud with other complimentary notes that made it so interesting and enjoyable.

Move on to the musks, Areej again dressed up his Russian Musk with some lovely citrus and pine notes to make it put a smile on your face and make it bloody enjoyable. Ensar can write you the most detailed 2,000 word blog post as to why his Musk is the "Haute de Musk" and worth every penny of his $400 and $800 asking price, but when you strip the price tag and elaborate sales pitch it is just a painfully boring composition that I personally didn't see the need to finish a 5ml decant of much less a $400 50ml bottle. Lessons to fans of Bortnikoff, Areej Le Dore, and Ensar. No matter how much you may like a perfumer, no one's line is entirely blind buy worthy.
    I 100% agree with your assessment. It’s plain boring unlike N1 which I feel gives the wearer something new every time. I certainly learned my lesson this go around next time I’ll be sampling before blind buying. Live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find me on Instagram: Niche_Addict07
    “Your fragrance is your message, your scented slogan.” – Maurice Roucel
    Currently wearing: Sacred Memory by Kerosene

If not now, when?

I assume wood&leather that you're testing the EdP? Not the Parfum?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Madeline by Ava Luxe

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I assume wood&leather that you're testing the EdP? Not the Parfum?
    You're correct sir. ALD made a great Musk for the already premium price of $400. If Ensar can only accomplish this with his $800 offering then..

just lettuce brew real stew for a moment. imagine Mysore Sandlewood company releasing an extrait de parfum Sandlewood frag for $600. You'd laugh your ass off. Not trying to thrash Ensar though, I'm just a firm believer in calling a spade a spade. I felt the same way about Bortnikoff's Mysterious Oud. Was boring by artisnal oud standards.
    Don't stank.

I agree with your comments too @wood&leather . Personally I prefer musk being slightly elusive and playing off a good structure of notes, especially the chypre structure of RM and illusionary oakmoss chypre of SM. Having more fresh (not particularly aged but that'll probably change with time) musk tincture in the pure parfum sounds decadent, but based on what I have sniffed and learned from people that handle musk, the method of tincturing and how long it is processed for contributes to the finished product greatly, so I might give my parfum sample a few more months to age a little.

One odd thing I noticed is on an instagram post he mentions understanding why Guerlain extraits used to cost so much, but the thing is pre-LVMH they costed 50% less (inflation taken into account) than what they did post-LVMH (there is a catalogue online somewhere but I think Monsieur Guerlain's site is still under maintenance), so even with all these great materials the price was still reasonable. You could argue cost of materials adds to that but surely not to that degree. Also there are vintage Coty ads (back then they also used Indian deer musk) and when adjusted to inflation it amounted to $55 for even an exclusive luxe glass flacon. I don't mind paying extra, but there is a line IMO.
    Currently wearing: Walimah by Areej le Doré

I've been wearing my decants of EDP and Parfum for a few times. The evolution of the the two concentrations are mostly the same on me. The opening has a sort of fuzzy oily hair smell that reminds me of costus. It then turns more honeyed and even kind of "claustrophobically" so. The rose is weaves in and out along the way, but the dry down of EO No.2 smells actually like centred around labdanum to me, with the initial honeyed aspect veering toward being caramel, and the hairy animalic facet reminiscent of that goat hair tonality of the labdanum.

The different between the two concentration on my skin, is that the notes in Parfum feels more vivid and more colourful, while EDP feels more airy and paler in comparison. According to Kafkaesque, the composition in these two versions are the same, it's just that the solvent of EDP is plain ethanol, while the solvent of Parfum is a musk tincture. It's interesting that how the musk along with less alcohol in concentration enhances the tonalities of perfume notes.

Another interesting thing is that, EO No.2 in both concentrations don't feel really fluffy musky like Siberian Musk or Russian Musk, although the "oily hair" and "claustrophobically sweet" characteristics do echo with a musk tincture sample that I smelt before. I also agree with thebeck that the scent profile has a relatively "minimalistic and modern" feel. There aren't many twists or turns or exaggerations/overdose effects in the scent like most Areej and some of Bortnikoff. Kind of like the stylistic differences between Serge Lutens and Hermès, relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I've been wearing my decants of EDP and Parfum for a few times...
    Excellent post, thanks for the insight for those of us who didn't get their hands on both.
    Don't stank.

Extremely valuable observations @StellaDiverFlynn
    Also, Ensar is now selling a musk + sandal attar, along with musk grain tincture and a "sac" tincture (...why not I guess?)
    Currently wearing: Walimah by Areej le Doré

Basenotes Plus

I love the sandalwood that's left on my skin hours outs.

Basenotes Plus

Great interview .
    Meeting With Ensar
    from
    Peter of Fragranceview on You Tube

It's over on hour long.
    When you have the time of course.
    Very insightful
    Happy Halloween All
    Last edited by JBS1; 29th October 2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: cantspeeel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I've been wearing my decants of EDP and Parfum for a few times. The evolution of the the two concentrations are mostly the same on me. The opening has a sort of fuzzy oily hair smell that reminds me of costus. It then turns more honeyed and even kind of "claustrophobically" so. The rose is weaves in and out along the way, but the dry down of EO No.2 smells actually like centred around labdanum to me, with the initial honeyed aspect veering toward being caramel, and the hairy animalic facet reminiscent of that goat hair tonality of the labdanum.

The different between the two concentration on my skin, is that the notes in Parfum feels more vivid and more colourful, while EDP feels more airy and paler in comparison. According to Kafkaesque, the composition in these two versions are the same, it's just that the solvent of EDP is plain ethanol, while the solvent of Parfum is a musk tincture. It's interesting that how the musk along with less alcohol in concentration enhances the tonalities of perfume notes.

Another interesting thing is that, EO No.2 in both concentrations don't feel really fluffy musky like Siberian Musk or Russian Musk, although the "oily hair" and "claustrophobically sweet" characteristics do echo with a musk tincture sample that I smelt before. I also agree with thebeck that the scent profile has a relatively "minimalistic and modern" feel. There aren't many twists or turns or exaggerations/overdose effects in the scent like most Areej and some of Bortnikoff. Kind of like the stylistic differences between Serge Lutens and Hermès, relatively speaking.
    The parfum was a real disappointment to me (haven't smelled the EDP). It smells more like a slightly bitter and spicy honeyed hyrax than a soliflore musk scent. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing overtly urinous here, but the bitter and the sweet combination feels "off" somehow and not very interesting or sensuous. It reminds me a bit of Masque Montecristo, but FAR less intriguing.

Basenotes Plus

Here's a video of
    Ensars EO No.2
    from
    Nikhil of You Tube
    Nikhil is also a
    Basenotes Member

Hope you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    Here's a video of
    Ensars EO No.2
    from
    Nikhil of You Tube
    Nikhil is also a
    Basenotes Member

Hope you enjoy.
    I think Ensar really created what is goal was. He said he wanted something debonair. Funny that's what I said in post #24 back on October 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    The parfum was a real disappointment to me (haven't smelled the EDP). It smells more like a slightly bitter and spicy honeyed hyrax than a soliflore musk scent. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing overtly urinous here, but the bitter and the sweet combination feels "off" somehow and not very interesting or sensuous. It reminds me a bit of Masque Montecristo, but FAR less intriguing.
    I think I can see the "bitter and spicy hyrax" angle, although I seem to have interpreted in another manner. I definitely agree that it doesn't smell like a musk solifore, at least the fluffy musky feature is not as central as I thought. And less compelling than I anticipated too, although with Ensar Oud the bar is pretty high.