Code of Conduct

Default Fountain pen help?

I think this falls under fashion and style, but if I'm wrong--sorry.

I'm looking to buy my first fountain pen. I'm left-handed, if that helps. I've narrowed my search to the following. If any of you have thoughts on these, please share.

Parker Sonnet
    Parker Premier
    Waterman Hemisphere
    Waterman Expert
    Sailor 1911s

Thanks!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Fountain pen help?

Although not mentioned in your list, I've used Lamy fountain pens for the last many years, which I would say are generally accepted to be good quality for their price range. I have a Lamy Safari, which is the basic pen and which is OK but not comfortable for my writing style. But my two Lamy metal pens (I think aluminium) are excellent, and certainly the best fountain pens I've had for £20-30. Of course, as with any others they reward regular use.

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    I think this falls under fashion and style, but if I'm wrong--sorry.

I'm looking to buy my first fountain pen. I'm left-handed, if that helps. I've narrowed my search to the following. If any of you have thoughts on these, please share.

Parker Sonnet
    Parker Premier
    Waterman Hemisphere
    Waterman Expert
    Sailor 1911s

Thanks!!
    Parker Sonnet - very elegant, but quality control not that great sometimes; this is generally the case with Parkers. The steel nib Sonnets are somewhat overpriced IMO. The 18k ones have soft (not vintage soft, but regular soft) nibs. Gripping section a bit too slim for some.

Parker Premier - I've never tried these.

Waterman Hemisphere - It is a good pen. I've tried it a few times. I think prices have crept up, very reasonable what they were 5-6 years ago. Great nibs.

Waterman Expert - Another very good pen, but the main issue with it is that it is metallic, and becomes somewhat heavy if you write with the cap posted. Great nibs. Note that over years, the clip on cap becomes a tad loose (still quite functional, though).

Sailor 1911 - Well, Sailors are great pens, I like the design of the earlier Pro Gear more than the 1911s, but nonetheless they all are very good. The 1911s have more of a timeless look. You probably have more nib options here than Parker or Waterman. Definitely great nibs. Weight is less, too, because of different material used - this is more relevant if you write with your pen posted. Note that the Japanese nib sizes run a little finer compared to European / American nib sizes.

From among your selection, I would definitely recommend the Sailor.

Just don't use Noodler's, use some 'safe' ink. At least, that's what I do.
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Parker Sonnet - very elegant, but quality control not that great sometimes; this is generally the case with Parkers. The steel nib Sonnets are somewhat overpriced IMO. The 18k ones have soft (not vintage soft, but regular soft) nibs. Gripping section a bit too slim for some.

Parker Premier - I've never tried these.

Waterman Hemisphere - It is a good pen. I've tried it a few times. I think prices have crept up, very reasonable what they were 5-6 years ago. Great nibs.

Waterman Expert - Another very good pen, but the main issue with it is that it is metallic, and becomes somewhat heavy if you write with the cap posted. Great nibs. Note that over years, the clip on cap becomes a tad loose (still quite functional, though).

Sailor 1911 - Well, Sailors are great pens, I like the design of the earlier Pro Gear more than the 1911s, but nonetheless they all are very good. The 1911s have more of a timeless look. You probably have more nib options here than Parker or Waterman. Definitely great nibs. Weight is less, too, because of different material used - this is more relevant if you write with your pen posted. Note that the Japanese nib sizes run a little finer compared to European / American nib sizes.

From among your selection, I would definitely recommend the Sailor.

Just don't use Noodler's, use some 'safe' ink. At least, that's what I do.
    Thanks!! I was actually logging on to switch my list up a bit. After talking with some more people, I've changed the list to look like this:
    Sailor 1911s
    Sailor Pro-Gear (not the slim)
    Platinum President
    Platinum 3776 Century

Thoughts on these? For what it's worth, I have pretty small hands too. I have a Hemisphere ballpoint and LOVE the size of it.

Funwithfrags: I looked into Lamy pens. First: I don't care for the grip on some of them. Secondly: I've decided to pass on a piston-filled pen for now. Someday I'll go that route, but not with my first pen.

Thanks to both of you!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

I think Lamy is the perfect first fountain pen.
    I gifted it to multiple people. Great way to start.
    My first pen was some Pelican I got in primary school years ago (decades now actually ).
    Right now I have an Aurora 88.
    Welcome to fountain pens club and enjoy the ink stains.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    Welcome to fountain pens club and enjoy the ink stains.
    Well...being left-handed, I'm used to that

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    Thanks!! I was actually logging on to switch my list up a bit. After talking with some more people, I've changed the list to look like this:
    Sailor 1911s
    Sailor Pro-Gear (not the slim)
    Platinum President
    Platinum 3776 Century

Thoughts on these? For what it's worth, I have pretty small hands too. I have a Hemisphere ballpoint and LOVE the size of it.

Funwithfrags: I looked into Lamy pens. First: I don't care for the grip on some of them. Secondly: I've decided to pass on a piston-filled pen for now. Someday I'll go that route, but not with my first pen.

Thanks to both of you!!
    I think you'd do very well with any of these. I've never personally owned any Platinum pens, but have tried - they are very understated and very nice. None of these are big pens, so they wouldn't be oversized.
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Thanks!! I'm leaning a little toward the 3776, but I have a feeling that one of those Sailors is on deck.