Code of Conduct

Default GCMS Cuban cigars?

Anybody run a gcms on Cuban cigars and care to share it? Not the smoke but the scent from one fresh from the humidor. I tried to google it but no results apart from tests of alkaloids etc. Trying to make a cigar accord to use with a very good Morrocan cedarwood in a mens cologne. So far i use cocoa eo, ambergris, ambroxan minute amounts of cocoa pyrazine and 2-methyl pyrazine plus a little labdanum together with a tobacco accord I previously made. It's not bad but once the pyrazines are gone it is just to sweet at the moment. Thought it may be an idea to look at what's actually in cigar scent.

Default Re: GCMS Cuban cigars?

No I don't know of any GC but Trimofix O TT is a nice aroma chem to add, powerful, diffusive, amber, woody note with vetiver and smoky, tobacco.

Ok, haven't got that one. I'll try to find it. Thx. Obviously there are a lot of things that can be used to create a tobacco accord but I'm after the sort of dry scent that you can almost feel in your mouth when you smell a fresh cigar. I'm getting closer though. My tobacco accord is a bit powerful. 3/100 of a g took over completely in my 5g test run.

There's a whole thread on dry wood not too long ago, you should check it out, not sure what wood would fit as I never smelled a fresh Cuban cigar But I know Trimofix has a nice tobacco amber and it's not expensive.

Basenotes Junkie

Talking Re: GCMS Cuban cigars?

Kephalis (i think Givaudan, lasts >80 hours on a blotter) could help you reconstructing a fresh cigar scent.
    Also take a look at 5-iso propyl-3-nonene-2,8-diol, if you are able to find a seller, that is ;-)

And, of course, catch some inspiration on my formula: https://841362.wixsite.com/perfumefo...obacco-perfume

And one other thing, Turkish tobacco GC/MS, not quite Cuban, but alas, it might bring you to some insights: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/....1977.10862608
    Last edited by jsparla; 18th September 2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: and one other thing...
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

You might try Tabanon instead of or in addition to the cocoa notes. Tobacco sweetness w/o the sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    You might try Tabanon ...
    would defenitly try this

Basenotes Plus

mmm, this is the whole reason that I've spent twelve years sourcing Spanish Cedar essential oil... to make my cigar scent...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jsparla View Post
    5-iso propyl-3-nonene-2,8-diol, if you are able to find a seller, that is ;-)
    OK.... and where did you find yours, and what is it's profile?
    There is zero info on TGSC for it, and classifies it "not for fragrance use".

And one other thing, Turkish tobacco GC/MS, not quite Cuban, but alas, it might bring you to some insights: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/....1977.10862608
    I looked this over, and it really only talks about the acids found.. I'm not certain that it could be so useful...
    Last edited by pkiler; 18th September 2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Even there is Paul, http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1072621.html
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

I guess there's a reason for "not being used for fragrance or flavour". Probably kill you..

I looked this over, and it really only talks about the acids found.. I'm not certain that it could be so useful...
    Yeah, and like I said, tobacco accord is not that hard to make but the dry, exquisite scent of a fresh Cuban is a whole different matter. Spanish cedar you say? Is that a drier variety or what is the difference? The Moroccan one i have is really good and has a much stronger scent than american atlas but is a bit sweet. I'll join you in the mission for Spanish and let you know if I find some.

Basenotes Plus

Well, OK, I saw that. But no info on suppliers, what it smells like, or any characteristics...
    THAT'S what I meant by no info...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    You might try Tabanon instead of or in addition to the cocoa notes. Tobacco sweetness w/o the sugar.
    The cocoa eo I use doesn't make it sweet especially when combined with the pyrazines. It is when I add the tobacco part it get's to sweet (but not vanilla sweet). I'm not really after the tobacco sweetness but want to reduce it without loosing the depth. Cuban cigars have a deep, dark bitter chocolaty, dry scent a bit salty even but with a underlying sweetness.
    Anyway Tabanone sounds like a nice material so I will try to find it.

Basenotes Plus

Spanish cedar is the wood used for humidors and cigar boxes. No other cedar is used.

Oh, I've found a supplier, but after I bought all they had distilled, they said if I wanted more, I need to order 5kg.
    SO< if we want more, I need several partners to buy in at kg amounts to get another distillation done for others to use.

Presently, I would be the only Perfumer using Spanish Cedar Essential Oil...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Spanish cedar is the wood used for humidors and cigar boxes. No other cedar is used.

Oh, I've found a supplier, but after I bought all they had distilled, they said if I wanted more, I need to order 5kg.
    SO< if we want more, I need several partners to buy in at kg amounts to get another distillation done for others to use.

Presently, I would be the only Perfumer using Spanish Cedar Essential Oil...
    Ok, I'm sort of slow launching my brand soon and will buy some cedarwood oil for sure since i use it in 5 out of 8 of the perfumes we will evaluate (we will choose 4 or 5 of these). I reckon I will need about a kg of it at least. Do you think it's possible to get a sample from the supplier? I contact you when we've done the evaluation and I know the amount if ok?