Code of Conduct

Default Ingredients for a petrol aroma

I'm looking for ingredients or a combination of ingredients that give off a strong piercing petrol aroma, I've done a lot of digging around this site but I still have not found what I'm looking for. Something along the lines of Dior Fahrenheit's strong petrol character. The ones I have tried so far are labdanum resinoid (sort of rubbery and resinous) methyl octine carbonate (violet, almost taffy like candy and a hint of gasoline) fossilized amber (very similar to labdanum res. but a little more woody).

Default Re: Ingredients for a petrol aroma

Indole is the most gasoline AC in my lab. Gasoline effect is also methyl heptine and octine carbonate. Ambrocenide is petrol, naphtha fatty, tarry smell to me.

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit was composed with a high dosage of the carbonates, Methyl octine (MOC) and methyl heptane (MHC).

Diola might be helpful, it is a sharp "paint" bite your nose profile.

I'm not sure where ^ gets gasoline from Indole though...

Anisole might also be helpful:
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1031451.html
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Orinox has a petrol smell to it along with a strong woody note and it is really strong.

Great suggestions, keep them coming if possible!

Anyone have Amboryl Acetate (Innospec)? It has benzene-4 in it, some peopleare saying it's really soft though, I'm looking for some punch, or if this works in combination with another material.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Anyone have Amboryl Acetate (Innospec)? It has benzene-4 in it, some peopleare saying it's really soft though, I'm looking for some punch, or if this works in combination with another material.

It's a soft amber woody. Not sharp or loud.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Petitgrain mandarin
    Cedarwood heart.
    Higher than 1% concentration of choya nakh

^ Thank you

^ Thank you

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Clare30 View Post
    Petitgrain mandarin
    I'd forgotten that one... But it only works for this project if it is high in Methyl-n-methyl anthranilate, I bought four ounces from Eden Botanicals, and was shocked to have it smell so. I will never use that four ounce bottle, because of it's odor profile...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I'd forgotten that one... But it only works for this project if it is high in Methyl-n-methyl anthranilate, I bought four ounces from Eden Botanicals, and was shocked to have it smell so. I will never use that four ounce bottle, because of it's odor profile...
    In concentration it is really unpleasant. But I have used it in traces to give city air effects - was once trying to recreate the idea of a gaslit night in old London and it came in useful then.

I'm learnng lots about the petitgrains. I find them truly horrible, but they do amazing things in traces. As you always say, all things are useful in the right dosage - or something along those lines.

Both Myrrh and Cypriol (Nagarmotha) have some petrol aspects, though they are complicated smells.

I made an accord with bois de landes and nagarmotha. I can’t remember the ratios from the top of my head but it reminded me of a car garage while getting my tyres changed. Was like a burnt leathery petrol scent.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMalteseTweed View Post
    I made an accord with bois de landes and nagarmotha. I can’t remember the ratios from the top of my head but it reminded me of a car garage while getting my tyres changed. Was like a burnt leathery petrol scent.
    I'd describe it more as a synthetic vinyl leather. And yes, it does also have aspects of petrol, and a bit animalic as well though not in the usual leather-animalic sort of way.

(just so everyone knows, "bois de landes" is a co-extraction of French pine resinoid with Virginian cedarwood oil, from Robertet, so presumably we are not talking about that)

I also recommend the orinox you can't go without it. Dilute to 10%.
    I've recently got a lot of Patchouli materials that might help. Things like patchone and api patchone both 10%