Code of Conduct

Default Any UK Caron experts out there?

I have come by a caron spray like the ones pictured,no idea what is in it,anyone expert enough to receive a small sample from me and let me know?must be UK and familiar with most Carons!
    Thankscaron6.jpgIMG_20180922_151356.jpg

Banned

Default Re: Any UK Caron experts out there?

Hi! I really wish I could help you from here in the US, but hopefully some lucky UK Basenotes person will step up and help you. When it comes to Caron and their packaging, I know just enough to be dangerous; however, I think I can figure out a few things for you by looking at the bottle. If I'm right, you're very very very lucky.

The lie-down bottle style, to my knowledge, has always been a dead giveaway that the perfume came from a Caron fountain. With all their crazy packaging changes (and Caron has been through a *lot*), this peppercorn-style bottle is only avaiable when you get a custom fill at the boutique; as you see in the picture, you can choose from among the unadorned glass and various colors and textures. (The peppercorn bottles that stand up on their own usually hold retail EdPs). The lack of a fragrance name on the bottle also points to its being a fountain item, since they naturally wouldn't label anything without knowing what goes into it.

All of the fountains contain the extrait version of Caron's scents, and they age beautifully in the urns. We've been conditioned to believe that we want our perfumes as fresh off the line as possible, but many perfumes (like many wines) are made to not only stand up to aging, but to actually improve and become more complex with age, becoming smoother, rounder and more supple over time. (Vintage Shalimar is a great example of this). So far as I know, Caron keeps 12 perfumes available in their urns, and they're probably these

Tabac Blond
    N’aimez Que Moi
    Acasiosa
    En Avion
    Les Pois de Senteur
    Narcisse Noir
    Or et Noir
    Rose
    Tubéreuse
    Alpona
    Poivre
    Farnesiana
    French Cancan

A couple may have been discontinued, but I'm guessing that anyone in the UK who went to the trouble of buying something this special went for one of the classic, older ones. I also know that Rose de Caron has been known to come and go from the urns.

Many of these will be immediately distinct, I think; you'll know if you have Tuberose because it's, well . . . tuberose. Narcisse Noir is also unmistakeable, because it's the biggest baddest orange blossom on earth. Tabac Blond is smells like leather and maybe something sort of like cinnamon (depends on which era it came from) along with a very distinctive note of tobacco; if you get leather and orange blossom, it's En Avion. N'Aimez que Moi has a very prominent violet-rose duo, along with iris, which makes it one of those classic "cosmetic scents." Montaigne is a yellow floral with aldehydes, very much in the vein of No.5 but with the classic Caronade amber where No.5 is underlined with sandalwood. Farnesiana is a mimosa bomb with a dry, grassy vibe. If you smell hyacinth, it's Pois de Senteur. And Nuit de Noel parfum should be almost all Caronade: dry dry dry dry, moss twinned with a voluptuous roasted chestnut--To Die For. Parfum Sacre shows its 90s roots--this is sort of like Caron doing Chanel's OG Coco, but with the incense up front--and the incense is myrrh, along with a sh8tload of pepper and other spices along with a big ol' rose and a touch of tuberose. Rose de Caron is a true tea rose to my nose, the gorgeous Caron base makes it special. Sad to say, I haven't smelled the other ones on that list ^^^ yet, but the time will come . Fortunately, while you're waiting to find your expert, you should have time to try out what you have and see if it fits. Every Caron is so completely distinctive from the others (in my experience) that they're pretty easy to tell apart just from reading people's reviews.

I'm soooo envious you found this beautiful flacon, and I can't wait to find out what's in it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow! Thankyou for your detailed information! Unfortunately I am rubbish at picking out individual notes.I have not smelt anything similar to it,have been convincing myself I could smell leather and smoke in the hope it could be tabac blond but maybe its all in my mind! took it into john lewis to the most savvy frag guy who thought he could smell jasmine and sandalwood but I do not smell them? Its not very long lasting on me but maybe thats just me,the only frags that last on me are vintage Cinnabar,KL and Opium.. will have to have a trip to london to Harrods Caron dept if no one elses chimes in from UK!

By the way @ the diamond sea,would you message me your address? i will attempt to post you a small sample,it may not get to you in usa due to post but you sound like you know your caron! Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Quote Originally Posted by annetteo View Post
    By the way @ the diamond sea,would you message me your address? i will attempt to post you a small sample,it may not get to you in usa due to post but you sound like you know your caron! Nothing ventured nothing gained!
    I don't think you'll have any problems. I recently sent seven samples out to a US Basenoter and they arrived without a hitch. The restrictions are a pile of poo!

I'd love to try a sample of this, Annetteo. I'm certainly no Caron expert as I'm only familiar with a few, but it would be fun trying to figure it out for you, and I'd be more than happy to send you a sample of something of mine in return, if you're up for it.

For sure@suspended!will get back to you in the morning.

Please message me your postal address ,thanks!

Indeed, Caron extrait ages beautifully. En Avion is one of my favorites.

Congratulations on whatever it is you now own and I look forward to the mystery unveiling.

Its in the post @suspended!
    Look forward to hearing your opinion!

Thank you.

Will be in touch soon.

Indeed Caron Extracts do age wonderfully. I have bought directly from the Caron Boutique in Paris but never got the fancy Urn peppercorn bottle. Perhaps you had to pay extra for it? They never asked if I wanted one. But, I am always about the juice.

Really interested to read what it is?
    DONNA

I did get my Farnesiana in exactly the same peppercorn bottle with white pouch, also in Paris. I think there was a choice between spray (this bottle) or dab? Got it around 2006/7.

There also used to be a Narcisse Blanc urn.
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Oh, interesting. I had to phone up to order and just got the dab each time. I own Narcisse Blanc and also Alpona another urn.
    DONNA

As emailed, it's Tabac Blond (just to solve the mystery for everyone else.)

Wow!! How very exciting!!
    I thought I could smell the notes listed in TB but was unsure of my nose!
    Thankyou,Suspended for your help on this matter!
    I wonder if its edt,edp,extrait or what?

Brilliant, in that bottle, it should be the extract.
    DONNA

What size is my bottle anyone?

What size is my bottle anyone?
    They hold 20ml.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Brilliant, in that bottle, it should be the extract.
    Though, you can't be certain, as these bottles are sold empty as travel atomisers and could have been filled with any concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    They hold 20ml.
    Thanks P,
    What was your opinion on appx year?

Thanks P,
    What was your opinion on appx year?
    I really couldn't say. The current extrait is a golden yellow.

Perhaps you could look at other Tabac Blonds on eBay and compare the hue of your perfume to the others. Although not entirely accurate, this could give you an approximate age range, which would be a start.

The pouch has probably changed over the years, too. That could be another way to get an approximate age.

I don't suppose there are any truly accurate ways to tell when there is no batch code.

Basenotes Plus

Purecaramel just went on a big Tabac Blond binge, buying many different vintages and concentrations. You might drop him a PM, to draw his attention to this thread. I'm sure he'd be happy to help if he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Purecaramel just went on a big Tabac Blond binge, buying many different vintages and concentrations. You might dropping him a PM, to draw his attention to this thread. I'm sure he'd be happy to help if he could.
    That sounds like a great idea.

Thanks cook.bot will look for member purecaramel..

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Any UK Caron experts out there?

Thanks cook.bot will look for member purecaramel..
    I would situate the TB as being in the sphere of Cuir Cannage, Shalimar, Knize Ten, Hiram Green Voyage and a base ever so slightly bittered by Oakmoss like Vintage Bel Ami.

The biggest sign post, for me, in this scent, is the startling Pepper of Carnation start, that blends smoothly into the melange. It almost touches a Clove like whisper.

I found the Contemporary EDP accentuates this note, to perhaps draw the nose away from the lack of Moss.

As to the bottling, that needs an in depth study by Bottle Geeks rather than Perfume Geeks.

I own a 60's to & 70's EDC.that is similar to this.

tabac blond lotion.jpg
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Thanks purecaamel,
    Anyone else got any idea if its edp,edt or extrait,and appx year feel free to chime in!

I had a quick look in my Caron book but cannot see lotion. I think it is cologne but the place to really look is Raiders Of The Lost Perfume. Put Caron in the google search and it should take you straight the Caron list.
    DONNA

I had a quick look in my Caron book but cannot see lotion. I think it is cologne but the place to really look is Raiders Of The Lost Scent. Put Caron in the google search and it should take you straight the Caron list. It shows how to look for batch codes etc.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

Fortnum & Mason Piccadilly have a counter on the 2nd floor where they sell Caron from the urns, though the sales assistants are not necessarily experts on Caron. Maybe they could help determine your Tabac Blond's concentration.

Of course! I forgot about raiders!