Code of Conduct

Default niche companies lack of (affordable) sampling

it is very frustrating that many companies charge a ridiculous amount to sample, or some that don't even offer samples at all. Is this their way of forcing people to blind buy, or is sampling not very profitable?

this is especially frustrating with limited edition fragrances.

I find many "discovery" sets or sample packs to be way overpriced.

any thoughts on this?

Default Re: niche companies lack of (affordable) sampling

Well, companies want people to buy. Evidently there are many people who just go by the sample, so that's not too profitable. If one starts buying stuff, shops are usually more than willing to send more samples.

As for the price of discovery sets, it depends, some are overpriced but some aren't.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Well, companies want people to buy. Evidently there are many people who just go buy the sample, so that's not too profitable. If one starts buying stuff, shops are usually more than willing to send more samples.

cacio
    Well stated and true.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bond N9 attitude spread.

I'm sick of dealing with samples (from the net) myself. They seem like a waste, but of course getting a full bottle of something that isn't what I thought it would be is an even bigger waste. I've dodged a few bullets lately and at the same time I've found some no-brainers. I think it's a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go and what you're willing to do to stay. For my comfort level and my spending level I feel like I've expanded my horizons enough for now.

I don't do discovery sets. I just cherry pick from a short list of scents I've psyched myself up to try. The youtube videos don't excite me like they did a couple of years ago and no brand is a golden goose so that sampling barrier keeps things in check for me.

AFAIK, isn't niche supposed to be hard to get? Aren't we breaking the rules?

Dependent

My sense is that if small outfits are having success selling all they can produce already, they probably don't feel a need to get into the complications involved in doing lots of samples.

Having said that, I'm always interested in discovery sets. In my experience, the time to jump on them is right when a new outfit is trying to get going. Once outfits become more established, their sample prices often seem to become quite a bit more expensive.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

I get what the OP is saying...since these niche bottles are so expensive and a barrier to buy, it would make sense to make sampling more readily available. Even with money being no object, I can only justify throwing away money on cheap blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Well, companies want people to buy. Evidently there are many people who just go by the sample, so that's not too profitable.
    I'd like to hope that's not true. I'd expect that out of your average joe tire kicking a Macy's counter for sauvage samples but not of high end stuff.

Personally I do a lot of sampling simply because I don't want full bottles of sh*t I don't like laying around. I went through 5 or 6 Roja dove samples before I found one full bottle worthy.

To the op's point; MFK, Byredo, Tauer and other niche companies offer discovery sets, you just have to look for them. If you're finding $30 to $50 for a discovery set "ridiculously expensive" then you probably wouldn't be able to afford a bottle of something you liked if you found it anyway. That's no knock on you personally, just the reality of the matter.
    Don't stank.

I have speculated that things have changed from 10 years ago. Back then, most niche companies were desperate for you to know about them and spread the word, so samples were often free. Now, it seems, the samples themselves are considered to be a product, and there are lot more niche buyers (of samples and bottles). I've never bought samples, other than spending an extra dollar or so to get free shipping, so it doesn't really bother me, but I can see how those who used to do a lot of niche sampling would be irritated by this apparent development.

The juice may be cheap but atomisers cost money. Decanting process costs money. Packing and shipping cost money. If $4-5 per sample is not your idea of affordability then you could try asking the BN community for FREE samples. I’d be happy to hook you up with niche samples if only my hoard is a little more organized.
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

They manufacturers make testers available in their authorized retailer stores. You have the option of getting out, visiting those stores and sampling those items for free to your hearts content. If you are not close by then you have the option of buying samples from places online.

I find it funny how some brands are stingy even when you buy something.

I buy around two hundred samples per year. I think for the most part they're very affordable.

Basenotes Junkie

If I'm not mistaken, I think some niche companies and niche retailers still refund the price of their sample sets thru deducting the cost off of your full size bottle purchase e.g., Twisted Lily and Parfums MDCI if I recall correctly. It seems to me, more companies and retailers should consider this approach, which definitely helps take the sting out of high price sampling. I also think that the "eBay factor" hasn't been insignificant in many companies electing to get stingy with their samples i.e., the practice of individuals stockpiling free samples only to list them on eBay for a profit.

Frederic Malle used to give away generous samples around 2010 or so at no or very little cost to the recipient. And yes a lot of these probably ended up on ebay back then. Now it is like 20 dollars or something for a couple of small ones.

But in general if shipping from Germany isn't a problem to you I'd just use ausliebezumduft and I would consider that affordable.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ... if only my hoard was a little more organized.
    "Famous last words", as my dear mother used to say.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Heawns View Post
    Frederic Malle used to give away generous samples around 2010 or so at no or very little cost to the recipient. And yes a lot of these probably ended up on ebay back then. Now it is like 20 dollars or something for a couple of small ones.

But in general if shipping from Germany isn't a problem to you I'd just use ausliebezumduft and I would consider that affordable.
    Yes, I remember Frederic Malle free samples being 5mls. You just emailed them and asked and they sent them to you.

I know a few Niche Brand SA and they are told by their companies two samples only with a purchase.
    DONNA