Code of Conduct

Default Aramis Tuscany vintage, worth extra money?

I'm still relatively new to this fragrance game, and till now I have never purchased any vintage fragrances. A few weeks ago I did a blind buy of Aramis Havana, and I absolutely loved that scent. Now I was thinking of going for Tuscany, as I think this fragrance is also right up my alley and it can be acquired for very cheap (around €35,- over here)

But now I accidentally stumbled upon a vintage version of this for €60,- and this got me doubting. I always read many stories on here from people raving over vintage versions of many scents, so I'm wandering if in this case the vintage version also is much preferable over the recent one. €60,- is not that much money that is is to much of a gamble, but I would rather spend that on something else if the current formulation is (almost) as good as the old one.

Here is a picture of the bottle:
    $_86.JPG
    Currently wearing: 7 Loewe Anónimo by Loewe

Always be smelling

Default Re: Aramis Tuscany vintage, worth extra money?

Current Formulation is good enough for me but know that it has bad performance. 3-4 hours.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

€60 for a 100ml of the vintage is well worth it. The current formulation is an anemic replica of the vintage.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I've never tried the vintage but the current version works great on me and has good performance, 8-10 hours. I see it as the perfect work fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

The modern version is respectable IMO, but I'd probably go vintage with Tuscany.

You might also consider Azzaro Pour Homme (my SOTD!). It's pretty similar to Tuscany (add anise on top and a dash ambergris to the base). Modern and vintage both have pretty good performance.
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

If you truly enjoy wearing Tuscany that extra premium is well worth it.
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Thank you for all the feedback, I'm going for it! Can't resist a recommendation from someone with a Coltrane profile pic and a Nabokov signature on top

Vintage all the way. New stuff is neutered in terms of performance IMO. However..........as the guy above said, the current Azzaro Pour Homme is very good, and can be had for around $20 for a tester of 100ml.
    "Shut your mouth when you're talking to me" !

Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Go for the vintage. It has that lovely warm leather-note that the current is missing. Plus oakmoss! Money well spent

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Of interesting note, all the Aramis Gentleman's Collection reissues borrow their bottle design from the original Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo.
    oh look, I have a signature

I know you are specifically asking about vintage Tuscany vs Current version. I have no experience with the current version so about this particular fragrance I can't opine. I would suggest getting mini's or scent tubes of the current vs the vintage of any fragrance because my mileage has varied many times over the years current vs vintage. It is always best to test if you can before purchasing. Just my experience over the years. Its cheap to test if you can purchase a sample vs a whole bottle.

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread
    Currently wearing: Sir Irisch Moos by Sir

I already went in and purchased the vintage bottle, expecting it today or tomorrow
    You're absolutely right it's always better to test, but I was afraid someone else would snatch the bottle up before me, and I thought this particular fragrance would be a nice one as my first vintage bottle as it was still very affordable. So if I would regret the purchase, no serious harm is done, and I can probably sell it again without to much of a loss.

If not now, when?

Congrat's. I have fond memories of wearing this in the 80's when it was released and I was a teen.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    I already went in and purchased the vintage bottle, expecting it today or tomorrow
    You're absolutely right it's always better to test, but I was afraid someone else would snatch the bottle up before me, and I thought this particular fragrance would be a nice one as my first vintage bottle as it was still very affordable. So if I would regret the purchase, no serious harm is done, and I can probably sell it again without to much of a loss.
    I understand completely. I don't think you will be dissatisfied. The vintage is a great fragrance and I love the oak moss in the dry down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread
    Currently wearing: Sir Irisch Moos by Sir

I would say yes, imo. The same goes for Aramis Havana, the newer version smells pretty much the same, but the vintage Havana is much smoother with better performance, and longer lasting.