Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: So...what happened to Basenotes? And why do you stay here?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    I guess I am not alone. Anyone else?
    Yes, I agree that seeing Scent Of The Day, often immediately followed by " Fragrances that wow you recently ", then " Which scent are you waiting to be delivered in the mail", then "Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time" is at the least uninspiring

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think this beast has more than one head, and in that I can agree a lot of the reasons listed by others are to blame for what seems to be a slowdown in activity in the forums outside of very specific sections. However, besides social media, the deterioration of acceptance for fragrance in public spaces, and other outside factors, we kind of have to look inwards at ourselves as a community and take some responsibility for this as well. You might laugh at me for this since I lurked after a brief bit of activity in 2012, only coming full-tang into the forums just last year, but it doesn't mean I wasn't watching or reading what was going down in that time.

For starters, our friend with the rather long broken English post brought up some good points about the quality of contribution and conversation here. The diatribe about the shifting of the industry from art made with a profit margin in mind to pure smoke and mirrors by evil cosmetics overlords smells a bit too 1984 for me, including the IFRA bit, but I'm sure there's shreds of truth in it; corporate greed and the rise of private sector Oligarchs has changed a lot of markets for the worse, the least important of which is perfume, but that's another topic altogether.

Our friend mentioned long comprehensive reviews, sometimes with Shakespearean language that spoke a lot and said little, something I try to avoid even in my article-length gloss-overs of what I test, and he also mentioned the rise of "Gurus" like Luca Turin, although I don't think they have as much influence on the chatter here as we like to believe outside of forum topics dedicated to their studies and publications etc. The biggest and most significant negative change I feel has to do with the way we see ourselves in regards to others, more so than any outside force, and I'm including prominent non-mod members within the community as part of that outside force, since they're not seen as peers among us.

To my point, in contribution to outside factors like gurus, social media, market changes, IFRA, all that woe-is-me stuff, I think how we interact, or rather don't interact, is the biggest internal reason we lose community to other sites.

1) We divide and subdivide into classes, categories, and thus "High School Cliques" within the forum, then set up silly validation hurdles to vet who enters and is accepted. All fan communities have some extent of this, so it's not so much a problem to be stamped out, as it is a problem to be managed within a tolerable degree so folks don't get turned away. Your niche scent isn't expensive enough. Your vintage scent isn't discontinued and rare enough. Your designer isn't a big enough compliment getter, so go away an try again.

2) We just play "King of the Hill" in most threads. Folks day in and day out just make posts like "I am wearing X and I love X. Isn't X cool? (It makes me cool right?)" and they spam it all around, but never look to see what anyone else is wearing, or doing, or seeing, nothing. We only care about proclaiming what we're interested in and take no interest in each other, so we're really all just talking to ourselves like crazies here. Then we do it all again the next day. I've unfriended folks here for being completely humorless. It sucks.

3) We don't come together when new folks land in our spaces. Mods are here to help us with trolls and hacks, but we are the curators of our spaces, not them. I rarely see anyone coming to aid when somebody is under ad hominem attack in what might be a misunderstanding. Nor do I see any forgiveness when new folks put their foot in their mouths by accident with their first threads. Instead, they get cut down by the same old guard on their pedestal about the forums sucking, instead of maybe showing some guidance and being the change they want to see.

We're far from dead here people, and the sun never sets on the Basenotes empire, so let's stop making threads postulating on "what happened" and actually make something happen.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    We only care about proclaiming what we're interested in and take no interest in each other, so we're really all just talking to ourselves like crazies here. Then we do it all again the next day..
    so true!
    spray and pray...

Basenotes was reformulated into a shell of its former self.

#bringbackthehuddler

Basenotes Plus

We only care about proclaiming what we're interested in and take no interest in each other, so we're really all just talking to ourselves like crazies here. Then we do it all again the next day.
    I have to dispute you on that, ZC. I think the success of (and positive reactions to) your own Avon Pass refutes that sentiment.

A year or two ago I would have never thought that a bunch of niche-lovers and attar-acolytes could have such an open-minded response to a batch of old Avon scents. I take that as a very good sign. Don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    #bringbackthehuddler
    Ha ha ha! <shudder>

1) We divide and subdivide into classes, categories, and thus "High School Cliques" within the forum, then set up silly validation hurdles to vet who enters and is accepted. All fan communities have some extent of this, so it's not so much a problem to be stamped out, as it is a problem to be managed within a tolerable degree so folks don't get turned away. Your niche scent isn't expensive enough. Your vintage scent isn't discontinued and rare enough. Your designer isn't a big enough compliment getter, so go away an try again.

2) We just play "King of the Hill" in most threads. Folks day in and day out just make posts like "I am wearing X and I love X. Isn't X cool? (It makes me cool right?)" and they spam it all around, but never look to see what anyone else is wearing, or doing, or seeing, nothing. We only care about proclaiming what we're interested in and take no interest in each other, so we're really all just talking to ourselves like crazies here. Then we do it all again the next day. I've unfriended folks here for being completely humorless. It sucks.
    The best contributors are the ones that contribute in an open discussion format, open to others' opinions to provide back and forth light hearted discussion. There are a few posters that simply post all over the forum just to basically say they've already "been there done that" with whatever you're discussing and contributing Fkall.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I have to dispute you on that, ZC. I think the success of (and positive reactions to) your own Avon Pass refutes that sentiment.

A year or two ago I would have never thought that a bunch of niche-lovers and attar-acolytes could have such an open-minded response to a batch of old Avon scents. I take that as a very good sign. Don't you?

Ha ha ha! <shudder>
    I was speaking in broad strokes. There are exceptions to every rule and I didn't say 100% of every registered member acts this way 100% of the time. Do I really need to incorporate legalese fine print in my posts about social observations now? What I said above has been my general experience overall with the vast majority of posters since becoming active here, outside of the small cross-section of people I've befriended and have frankly been the thing keeping me here. There are still good people here, and I like to think I was lucky enough to find them, but we're also talking within the context of dwindling social returns here, and I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of us playing show and tell, then walking off stage.

I agree that my Avon Pass has been a nice little red herring, but even within that pass there was one particular person who interacted with me zero times after getting the samples, and ignored all my replies to their findings, going right back to pendantic drivel about their favorite things and how they need to hoard more the second the pass was finished. Now I'm not discounting that social anxiety or other mental illnesses/developmental disorders may not account for some of the behavior we see, because the anonymity of the online space is good at hiding it behind text with no tone or body language, but anyway, that's another "outside factor" like the proliferation of social media, or decline in perfume interest/acceptance etc.

Good signs are always welcome, just saying if we want to attract more active users, we need not let something like my Avon Pass be an exception, but rather have similar discussions more frequently. I've come out of my vintage shell to explore (and collect) modern designers and taste a ton of prestige scents and niche artisinal scents just so I could wade into other areas and discuss. Still working on feminines and unisex stuff myself.

Tl;dr you're not wrong, but that one example doesn't dismiss the entirety of my observation in my opinion.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    The best contributors are the ones that contribute in an open discussion format, open to others' opinions to provide back and forth light hearted discussion. There are a few posters that simply post all over the forum just to basically say they've already "been there done that" with whatever you're discussing and contributing Fkall.
    I see a lot of that, and a lot of looking down one's nose with pinkies out and collars up like we're all sitting with folded hands in a proper Victorian fashion. The "I'm better than this person because I can afford X perfumes" or "I know better than this person because I've read all of Turin (who ironically seems to be a fun chap when he converses here himself)" and the "I've been at this longer or have already collected all of the best X" are all silent reasons used by the folks who hold them to avoid interacting with what challenges them, muting the infidel attempting to distort their personal reality bubbles. It's a damn shame I love being that infidel hahaha

I see what real trolls do. Making threads about celebrities in the community releasing their own scents then committing suicide the next day, really ridiculous shit. People grind out post counts for more stars in Off-Topic like kids hunting achievements on Xbox, and that makes us all a little more jaded against actual attempts at being lighthearted, but it shouldn't fully seal us off to it or else the trolls have won. I still drop puns and word-plays within respectful limits on SOTD threads etc. I never want anyone thinking I'm this bleak super-serious collector snob like the stereotypical wine taster.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Basenotes was reformulated into a shell of its former self.

#bringbackthehuddler
    Bwahahaha. THAT.....is some funny shit.
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

I see a lot of that, and a lot of looking down one's nose with pinkies out and collars up like we're all sitting with folded hands in a proper Victorian fashion. The "I'm better than this person because I can afford X perfumes" or "I know better than this person because I've read all of Turin (who ironically seems to be a fun chap when he converses here himself)" and the "I've been at this longer or have already collected all of the best X" are all silent reasons used by the folks who hold them to avoid interacting with what challenges them, muting the infidel attempting to distort their personal reality bubbles. It's a damn shame I love being that infidel hahaha

I see what real trolls do. Making threads about celebrities in the community releasing their own scents then committing suicide the next day, really ridiculous shit. People grind out post counts for more stars in Off-Topic like kids hunting achievements on Xbox, and that makes us all a little more jaded against actual attempts at being lighthearted, but it shouldn't fully seal us off to it or else the trolls have won. I still drop puns and word-plays within respectful limits on SOTD threads etc. I never want anyone thinking I'm this bleak super-serious collector snob like the stereotypical wine taster.
    I have nothing but respect for this post. Kind of says it all. Dare to be different.....and dare to be disliked.

Basenotes Plus

Tl;dr you're not wrong, but that one example doesn't dismiss the entirety of my observation in my opinion.
    Noted, and agreed.

I never want anyone thinking I'm this bleak super-serious collector snob like the stereotypical wine taster.
    Oh, I seriously doubt you're in any danger of having that happen.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    I have nothing but respect for this post. Kind of says it all. Dare to be different.....and dare to be disliked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Noted, and agreed.

Oh, I seriously doubt you're in any danger of having that happen.
    I thank you for reading all that. I think my 2 cents has been covered. In the spirit of progress, anyone who disagrees is still more than welcome to come say hi. The only folks on my mute list are the ones beyond reasoning with. Long live The Ace of Base(notes)

Bingo
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Bingo
    ... was his name-o

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

... was his name-o
    and I feel the same-o.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    and I feel the same-o.
    Day-O
    Daylight come and me wanna go home...

This is like the Twilight Zone.....except it smells pretty good in here........

Always smells good in here....well most of the time.

And I’m not saying Beetlejuice 3 times.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Hmmmm.........Beetlejuice Pour Homme sounds interesting though........

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    +1
    Also:
    One small but possible turn off is the fact that "Scent of the Day" appears as the topic on the home Forum page for the male and female forums seemingly 90% of the time. So anyone quickly looking for an interesting discussion may be turned off, thinking that the chat on those forums is not very interesting and that all members want to do is just name what they are wearing. Can't there be a separate forum or section for that?
    I feel like there's already too many forums as it is ( aventus, vintage and male discussion could also just be merged).

If someone just judges the forum on a headline or what is the last topic on the forum homepage, then I feel that they are too haste in judgement.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 8th October 2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm.........Beetlejuice Pour Homme sounds interesting though........
    Bottle sculpted by Delia Deetz

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

So much great thought here. This place is a gem. More threads like this - honest talk - that's a huge help. Gotta agree with the ZC. So much truth. We all (not all, but a lot) do our snob moments. Talk like this breaks that down. I love it!

Sorry I've been so absent. I'll be on more in a few months I hope. But I'm keeping the frag faith until then.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Big social. Gotta agree there.

Are you a snob or a connoisseur?

Keep the riff-raff out I say

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Are you a snob or a connoisseur?

Keep the riff-raff out I say
    LMAO!

Yeah, dis joint's got a repu-TAY-shun!

Speakeasy+3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LMAO!

Speakeasy+3.jpg
    What a jolly fine gathering !

So...what happened to Basenotes? The brightest minds burnt out!

And why do you stay here? Dunno! Boredom, I guess!

Here again the broken english man would like to comment on what is happening to my head now, thinking about these issues ...

And I think about 2007 - my first year in Basenotes Forum ... and the first years I do not know, I would say that the usual member could be between 25 - 55 years old ...
    Maybe a woman or a man of about 30-40 years, I remember that some were involved in art or fashion business, and many of them not.
    Or am I dreaming? !! Maybe they are effluvia of my imagination! If a contemporary thinks otherwise, it could be totally legitimate ...

In short if there were snobs and connoisseurs, some were firecrackers and other people very nice, as has always been and will be.
    But I do think there were fewer teenagers and people in their 20s, and there were fewer trolls so they had to be more knowledgeable. That's my opinion.

Now I do not spend too much time in these forums, I have rusted and oxidized and my certainty is that the world of perfume has stagnated in the aspects that seemed less interesting to me, and I find it boring and pathetic in what has been converted, its equation, a ghost of his past image thirsty for money.
    And more worse things I think... lol

There was a very nice guy who had a blog, he had the picture of Al Capone, I think it was called aromi erotici or something like that, Italian. Here everything is already invented people, lol.

I used to sell bottles in the past; I sold a Cuiron, Messe de Minuit - to talk about this is to be a snob or connosseur? lol - I have here a Davidoff haha, several to sell but between that I travel a lot, in that I am lazy, in that I do not know the regulations to send perfumes by air and that little sensation of disgust, I have given up doing it.

Obviously if not before mentioning the true virtues of what is called decants, I have realized the imposture that holds the threads of this industry.

We talk about luxury products yes, what you want, but to make a good BMW or Ferrari you need good parts, motor, and a brain designer.
    Chanel handbags may be overrated, of course! it is already presupposed ...
    But it is also assumed that the leather is of first quality, or even exclusive.
    Etc

The world of perfume has the flats to put in front of you a bottle of ambroxan from three to four in the face, sell it for 100 bucks before you, between tumbling, applaud enthusiastically. And next year they will do it again.

That's when I realized that consumers, in a way, "participate" in this circus; and I do not want to participate in this, folks.
    I got fed up! All my respect.

I wi not boring you, just post this comments as I am the kind of person you canonsider I leave... more or less.

But there are very GOOD things, good brands, perfumes, of course I think that the most affordable brands have something to say - when they say it.
    I also had a bottle of Jovan Sex Appeal lol
    And sometimes I pass by here,

Regards, Pipi

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

So much great thought here. This place is a gem. More threads like this - honest talk - that's a huge help. Gotta agree with the ZC. So much truth. We all (not all, but a lot) do our snob moments. Talk like this breaks that down. I love it!

Sorry I've been so absent. I'll be on more in a few months I hope. But I'm keeping the frag faith until then.
    Thank you, and once again, I mean no harm to anyone, but at the same time, for those to whom it applies: "If the shoe fits, wear it."

LMAO!

Speakeasy+3.jpg
    I kinda feel like running an Avon sample pass is the Basenotes equivalent of operating a speakeasy 'round here, so it's fitting. Plenty of cheap, bootleg hooch for everyone, just gotta know the password.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipistrello View Post
    Here again the broken english man would like to comment on what is happening to my head now, thinking about these issues ...

And I think about 2007 - my first year in Basenotes Forum ... and the first years I do not know, I would say that the usual member could be between 25 - 55 years old ...
    Maybe a woman or a man of about 30-40 years, I remember that some were involved in art or fashion business, and many of them not.
    Or am I dreaming? !! Maybe they are effluvia of my imagination! If a contemporary thinks otherwise, it could be totally legitimate ...

In short if there were snobs and connoisseurs, some were firecrackers and other people very nice, as has always been and will be.
    But I do think there were fewer teenagers and people in their 20s, and there were fewer trolls so they had to be more knowledgeable. That's my opinion.

Now I do not spend too much time in these forums, I have rusted and oxidized and my certainty is that the world of perfume has stagnated in the aspects that seemed less interesting to me, and I find it boring and pathetic in what has been converted, its equation, a ghost of his past image thirsty for money.
    And more worse things I think... lol

There was a very nice guy who had a blog, he had the picture of Al Capone, I think it was called aromi erotici or something like that, Italian. Here everything is already invented people, lol.

I used to sell bottles in the past; I sold a Cuiron, Messe de Minuit - to talk about this is to be a snob or connosseur? lol - I have here a Davidoff haha, several to sell but between that I travel a lot, in that I am lazy, in that I do not know the regulations to send perfumes by air and that little sensation of disgust, I have given up doing it.

Obviously if not before mentioning the true virtues of what is called decants, I have realized the imposture that holds the threads of this industry.

We talk about luxury products yes, what you want, but to make a good BMW or Ferrari you need good parts, motor, and a brain designer.
    Chanel handbags may be overrated, of course! it is already presupposed ...
    But it is also assumed that the leather is of first quality, or even exclusive.
    Etc

The world of perfume has the flats to put in front of you a bottle of ambroxan from three to four in the face, sell it for 100 bucks before you, between tumbling, applaud enthusiastically. And next year they will do it again.

That's when I realized that consumers, in a way, "participate" in this circus; and I do not want to participate in this, folks.
    I got fed up! All my respect.

I wi not boring you, just post this comments as I am the kind of person you canonsider I leave... more or less.

But there are very GOOD things, good brands, perfumes, of course I think that the most affordable brands have something to say - when they say it.
    I also had a bottle of Jovan Sex Appeal lol
    And sometimes I pass by here,

Regards, Pipi
    I get it, the "broken English" comment was kinda crass, and for that I apologize, however...

I kinda feel like you internalized everything I said as if it was all about you (when it certainly wasn't, trust me lol) and took my words way too personally, but it's all good in the hood fam, you do you. Peace, love, and Donnie Osmond.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Pipistrello View Post

...There was a very nice guy who had a blog, he had the picture of Al Capone, I think it was called aromi erotici or something like that, Italian. Here everything is already invented people, lol......
    He is still around. His Basenote handle is SexySmells. A very generous and knowledgeable basenoter. He did participate in this thread earlier.
    Not very frequent anymore and I think he stopped blogging.
    I do go over his blog every now and then to read about fragrances.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast