Code of Conduct

Thread: Post count bug?

Default Post count bug?

Hi,

I've only noticed this because I very recently broke 1000 posts so the count was obvious after that. My first three posts after 1000 didn't seem to register and the post count remained at 1000. Finally on about my 4th post after 1000, it increased to 1001. I just posted again and it remained at 1001. So something is a little fishy with counting posts.

- David

ps. I'm seeing this post at 1,001 also so again, no increase.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Default Re: Post count bug?

Not a bug I don't think, it just depends on where you post. IIRC, your post count is not affected by posting in any Community Centre forum (Lounge, Article Comments, here, etc.). Seems like kind of a weird setup, but pretty sure that's built-in and not a bug.

Watch next time you post in Fragrance Discussion, it should log there but not in here.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Not a bug I don't think, it just depends on where you post. IIRC, your post count is not affected by posting in any Community Centre forum (Lounge, Article Comments, here, etc.). Seems like kind of a weird setup, but pretty sure that's built-in and not a bug.

Watch next time you post in Fragrance Discussion, it should log there but not in here.
    Mmmhh, Incense Oud today Iso? Good stuff.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/450...49#post4454749

You can see my last post has 1,001 count then scroll up two posts before that and that post also is 1,001 count.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Hi,
    ... I just posted again and it remained at 1001. So something is a little fishy with counting posts.

- David

ps. I'm seeing this post at 1,001 also so again, no increase.
    I work on another large and old forum, and we had terrible post count issues there as well. In that case it was a forum software bug. The site kept a backup copy of the site in reserve - in case there were site problems, things could revert back to the saved copy. What happened was some kind of bug kept randomly kicking in, and setting members post count numbers back to what their count number had been on the date of the saved copy. The result was that folks counts would actually go backwards sometimes.

Not to say that that's the issue here, but one would think that all posts would be added to one's count number, and not just those which are posted in certain forums.

Mmmhh, Incense Oud today Iso? Good stuff.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/450...49#post4454749

You can see my last post has 1,001 count then scroll up two posts before that and that post also is 1,001 count.
    The current post count is reflected in every post you've made. It would also be 1001 on the very first post you made here after joining - is that what you're wondering about?

If you're saying that you know that you were already at 1001 when you posted #252 in that thread, then you posted again today with post #254 and remained at 1001, that would be a problem I believe but based on your post history I don't think that was the case.

Your 1000th logged post would have been in the Speed Smelling thread on the 29th. Since then, you've only posted once in a forum that logs them - the post in the ASAQ thread. All other posts were in the Lounge and here, which aren't logged. At least that's how I think it works and adds up if that's the case.

And yes, Incense Oud is wonderful Speaking of logging, it looks like it's my 2nd most worn fragrance since I started keeping track with the SOTD feature. Not sure I'd pay retail for it, but at $70 for 30ml in split form, absolutely!

The current post count is reflected in every post you've made. It would also be 1001 on the very first post you made here after joining - is that what you're wondering about?

If you're saying that you know that you were already at 1001 when you posted #252 in that thread, then you posted again today with post #254 and remained at 1001, that would be a problem I believe but based on your post history I don't think that was the case.

Your 1000th logged post would have been in the Speed Smelling thread on the 29th. Since then, you've only posted once in a forum that logs them - the post in the ASAQ thread. All other posts were in the Lounge and here, which aren't logged. At least that's how I think it works and adds up if that's the case.

And yes, Incense Oud is wonderful Speaking of logging, it looks like it's my 2nd most worn fragrance since I started keeping track with the SOTD feature. Not sure I'd pay retail for it, but at $70 for 30ml in split form, absolutely!
    Ohhhhh...okay. You've edumucated me about two things. I didn't realize the count went up in EVERY posting when you posted a new post retroactively. And I didn't realize which forums didn't count toward the count. (Suddenly, we're in Sesame Street.) This makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Q: So what have we learned here today, boys and girls?

A: Not all posts are created equal.

Cook.bot: actual post count -- 6,474

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I won't touch that one with a 10' post.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Blog Entries

Q: So what have we learned here today, boys and girls?

Cook.bot: actual post count -- 6,474
    How do you know?
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Day Dreams by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    How do you know?
    Just guessing. And also JK.

Blog Entries

Just guessing. And also JK.
    Ah. I was afraid to ask what JK meant......I Googled it instead.

Blog Entries

I won't touch that one with a 10' post.
    Do you....have a ten foot post? Perhaps that's another question I should Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Do you....have a ten foot post? Perhaps that's another question I should Google.
    I have a lease on one with an option to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Ohhhhh...okay. You've edumucated me about two things. I didn't realize the count went up in EVERY posting when you posted a new post retroactively. And I didn't realize which forums didn't count toward the count. (Suddenly, we're in Sesame Street.) This makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
    My pleasure

On a similar note, I think it was late 2016 or so, but at some point something happened with the site where older members (talking join date here) who had, I believe, 10,000+ posts randomly and instantaneously got huge numbers of posts added to their count. hednic went from like ~140,000 to ~200,000+, I think Buysblind went from like 7,000 to 13,000 or something like that - I don't think they ever figured out what happened and the additional posts have remained. There's still a thread on it somewhere I'm sure.

My pleasure

On a similar note, I think it was late 2016 or so, but at some point something happened with the site where older members (talking join date here) who had, I believe, 10,000+ posts randomly and instantaneously got huge numbers of posts added to their count. hednic went from like ~140,000 to ~200,000+, I think Buysblind went from like 7,000 to 13,000 or something like that - I don't think they ever figured out what happened and the additional posts have remained. There's still a thread on it somewhere I'm sure.
    Speaking of, why do you not have 6 stars at 3,643 posts? When does the count move from 5 to 6?
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Speaking of, why do you not have 6 stars at 3,643 posts? When does the count move from 5 to 6?
    6 @10,000 posts.or...if you were, as I was in a previous life, General Pershing.
    IMPORTANT! Marine, Navy, civilian, born there, lived or worked at Camp LeJeune, NC 30 consecutive or non-consecutive days or more from 1954 through 1987? Check out online: https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...eune-water.asp Significant VA compensation available for many chemically induced cancers and other diseases.
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

I have a lease on one with an option to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Just an aside..Your post count as I write this reply is 1021, and that is a prime number..
    IMPORTANT! Marine, Navy, civilian, born there, lived or worked at Camp LeJeune, NC 30 consecutive or non-consecutive days or more from 1954 through 1987? Check out online: https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...eune-water.asp Significant VA compensation available for many chemically induced cancers and other diseases.
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming