Code of Conduct

Default Another Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male thread - Multiple photos of vintage bottles. Experts chime in!

Hey all,

I've been on a hunt for some vintage Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male fragrances lately as I used to wear it in my 20s. The weather is getting colder and I remember it's a great cool weather scent.

Anyways, I've picked up a couple bottles over the last year, and thought I would share the differences. There are subtle differences in smell, and also in boldness of the stripes on the bottles. There are differences in the stickers, depending on when they were made or if they were testers. There are differences depending on whether it was a sticker, or engraved. Differences before and after reformulation. I figure this would be help anyone who in curious. There is so much variety out there that any new information will help anyone in their search. Please see the photos, and information below.

Firstly, all 3 Bottles, from left to right. 75ml 'G' batch (1999), 125ml 'D' batch (1996), 200ml PUIG Made in Spain (newest 2017 reformulation).

Comparison boldness of the white stripes. Interesting how the 99 is the boldest, 96 is faint, and 2017 is the faintest. I also have a 2004 bottle no pictured that is about as faint as the 2017.

Color of the juices, 96 and 99 are same color. 2017 PUIG is slightly yellow but not compared to the older ones. The question is, will the 2017 become yellow over time? I swear when I originally got this fragrance it was never dark yellow but I could be wrong, it's been so long. Some of the bottles are 15+ years old, the oldest being 22 years old. Incredible.

Bottom of 1996 Tester 'D' Batch

Bottom of 1999 75ml 'G' Batch

What else can I say? The bottles are all very similar to be perfectly honest, but there are minor subtle differences. It could have something to do with age, or storage over time. I don't know the history of a few of the these bottles. the 1996 was from a collector 99% full, the 1999 75ml I bought off craigslist for $30 this week which was 50% full (good deal IMO), the 2017 was brand new from a department store around 2017 Xmas.

In terms of the differences, the 1996 has a very powdery vanilla, pretty good longevity and sillage, although not as nuclear as I remember (aka mustard gas LOL). the 1999 bottle has a very different smell from the 1996, it has almost a dirtier smell, like an added element to it that was missing from the 1996 bottle. There is definitely a B.O. and cumin element to it, which I'm sure this is what I was smelling in this 1999 bottle. This was not present in the 1996 bottle (one of the first batches), but maybe it has to do with the way it was stored, from a regular guy vs a collector. I don't know if that's disappeared over time or this cumin smell was added a few years later. No way to be sure, however it is supposed to be in the notes of the fragrance. I don't remember smelling this way back in the day, which I found even more interesting. Something that people who love this fragrance will be suprised to hear is that I would say the recent reformulation from PUIG in Spain smells 95% like the original 1996 bottle I have. The difference being it is a little less powdery vanilla and more minty, perhaps only initially, but smells fantastic. It is actually very strong, I'm almost tempted to say stronger than the vintage bottles I have. The only difference seems to be the longevity on the 2017 bottle, but further testing is required.

If I had the rank the fragrances overall, I would go as follows:

Sillage
    1999 > 2017 = 1996 (this is very tricky to tell, however)

Longevity
    1999 = 1996 > 2017

Overall smell
    1999 > 1996 = 2017 -- This was tough for me, all the vintage lovers are going to kill me. I think I like the dirtier smelling 1999 bottle I got the best, it could have this smell due to improper storage and heat. Also, the 1996 and the 2017 are both very good for different reasons. I really like that initial mint blast in the 2017, but I also like top notes of the 1996 bottle.

Moral of the story, if you like Le Male, go for a 2017 bottle from PUIG and save yourself the money from the vintage bottles. The Made in Spain PUIG bottles are wonderful. The Made in France is marginally different (although it is), and I would try to get the Made in Spain if you can. If not, Made in France should do.

Cheers

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Another Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male thread - Multiple photos of vintage bottles. Experts chime in

Thanks for your detailed analysis!! Great to hear that the newer formulation holds its own against the vintage. Curious to know if you are a fan of the Essence de Parfum version with the amped up leather?? Personally, I think it's my favorite.

Default Re: Another Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male thread - Multiple photos of vintage bottles. Experts chime in

I haven't smelled or seen that one actually. Ill have to be on the lookout for it. Thanks

The colour of juice is definitely lighter on newer formulation. Picture below is 2003, 2012 and 2004 bottles. Older formulation lasts much longer to me and smells richer and more dense to my nose.20180318_144614.jpg

Nice analysis.

I have a 2006/2007 bottle and the juice color is the same as your '96/'99 bottles.

Nouveaunez, do you think it's worth a blind buy for 4.2oz for around $75 sealed in package? I've never smelled it before. Watched some reviews last night. Some people said it smells nothing like le male. I wonder what it would be like to layer the two?

Ripjean, looks like your 2012 is the BPI formulation after it it changed for the worse in 2010 (if I recall correctly). I have smelled that batch it smells like a ghost of it's former self, not surprised you feel that way. However, that doesnt seem to be the case with the newer PUIG version. Color is the same on both, light yellow.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by khaltire View Post
    Nouveaunez, do you think it's worth a blind buy for 4.2oz for around $75 sealed in package? I've never smelled it before. Watched some reviews last night. Some people said it smells nothing like le male. I wonder what it would be like to layer the two?
    Hey, khaltire - usually my default answer re: blind buys is a resounding "NO!!" but in your case, I would probably make an exception. You're obviously a hardcore fan of Le Male and IMO, Essence de Parfum does not stray that far afield from the original - apart from a much more pronounced leather note. If you are familiar with Carolina Herrera Prive, the leather accord is similar. But it's absolutely baffling if people are saying that the DNA of the original Le Male is not present. I'm horrible at breaking down fragrance accords but rest assured that this is absolutely not an entirely different fragrance - not even close. I'd be happy to send you a couple samples if you'd like. I know that I was able to get mine for about $65 but that's here in the US.

Thanks for your hard work! I often wondered about the current formulations of Le Male, and this seems to settle it.
    Sales thread here
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï