Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Monthly Samples

Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Monthly Samples

L'Homme Ideal EDT by Guerlain

My first thought when I sprayed this was that it was reminiscent of Valentino Uomo Intense. Sweetness with a bite that I guess comes from the biter almond and citrus. Tonka citrus leather, is the order I'd go here. Something hints at powderyness without fully committing to it. The more I wear it, the more I like it. At first I considered it a bit too sweet, but as the woody base becomes a bit more prominent in the heart it is quite nice. When the citrus burns off it unmasks the cedarish fake wood smell. This adds a bit of a nose twinge to the tonka to round this flavor out a bit more. The vetiver in the base also gives it a bit of a dryness that I enjoy. A bit more casual than the EDP. Sweet and contemporary, with a classy Guerlain drydown.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Uomo Intense by Valentino

Basenotes Plus

L'Homme Ideal EDP

Similar concept and feeling as the EDT in the opening. But I smell the rose here. The jammy rose takes this to a sweeter, bit more sultry and luxurious area. Reminds me of Dior's Ambre Nuit. It sort of sparkles. I see red strawberries, dripping with water and a glass of champagne. The fake cedarwood from the original is replaced by incense. I couldn't smell any incense until over an hour in, at which point it came through subtly, not overwhelming the rest of the fragrance. Sits closer to the skin, would prefer a bit more push. Does stay stronger on the skin though. At this point I tend to trust Guerlains to behave properly. Prefer the EDT overall, although I can't really say why. I think this objectively smells better.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like the edp of L'Homme Ideal a little more. There are several niche fragrances I've tried that smell similar (Carner Barcelona, Affinessence).

Basenotes Plus

Bvlgari Man in Black

It first gave me an impression of bubble gummy playfulness. This lingers, but it is better than that. There is something balsalmic in the formula that slightly alters the flavor.
    Take the cardamom, leather, and tonka from Code Profumo, add in the booze from Fahrenheit EDP, a dash of MFKs medicinal fake oud, and a touch of iris. You have Man in Black.
    I feel like other fragrances do what it is trying to do better. They also perform better in all facets. It is a good fragrance for the price, for sure, as all the others are more expensive. This has a place in some peoples wardrobe, but its space is taken already in mine.

Which samples are still to come? Areej Le Dore Russian Musk and Slumberhouse Norne Extract?

I haven't tried Russian Musk yet, but I did enjoy Norne quite a bit. A very realistic pine forest smell. Similar feel to Luten's Fille en Aiguilles, but without the dried fruits and booze.
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Which samples are still to come? Areej Le Dore Russian Musk and Slumberhouse Norne Extract?
    Oh, shoot. I missed those ones. I've wanted to do a couple of these a couple of times, but I worry that with how powerful they are they will throw me off for weaker scents. So now I'll be hitting the thick bodied scents. I should probably work my way through these over the next week.
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Bortnikoff Bonheur
    Bortnikoff Mysterious Oud
    Areej le Dore Russian Musk
    Areej le Dore Baikal Gris
    Areej le Dore Inverno Russo

Basenotes Plus

Russian Musk Areej le Dore

The first thing you notice... is musk. Glorious beautiful full flavored musk. It hits with a lemon/bergamot combo reminiscent of the juice from a lemon/lime snowcone. The lemon marries to the pine early, and play together beautifully. Strong profile. If I bury my nose in I get just a small tinge of clove in the back. It smells better than this, and is more complex than this, but to get a feel for it, this could be described as a musky lemon pine scent. About 2 hours in I smelled a hint of smoke. It feels like it evolves in the intensities of the notes, while none disappear completely, and the scent profile stays the same. Quite pungent. Smells very natural.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Russian Musk was fun to sample, but in my experience, a 1980's fragrance with musk is more interesting, Aramis JHL, for example.

Pungent? Wait till you try Inverno Russo... No spoilers for you though, lol.