Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Samples

Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Monthly Samples

Caron Pour Un Homme

So, umm... the opening of this one stinks. There is something off-putting of the juxtaposition of the vanilla, lavender, and musk. I enjoy all three of these, but something here just doesn't work for me. Once it dries down a while the powdery aspect seemed to take over and it smells a bit better. It seems to have fuzzy edges. Others have mentioned play-doh. Yeah, I got that in the opening, but as it settled in the correlation diminished. The more this one fades, the more I like it. Though, that could just be because I can't smell it as much. Definitely smells dated, though not like an old man. More like powdered wigs.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The couple times I've smelled Caron Pour Un Homme, I didn't like it. It does have a big following though. I do have Caron Yatagan in my collection, which is also a little out there, but works for me. I've sampled Caron the Third Man a long time ago and liked it.

Basenotes Plus

Creed Viking

Smells fresh. It’s minty. Kinda has that tingly zing. Pink pepper sweetened. Spicy sandalwood? Lavendar bergamot? This fragrance is a shape shifter. In the heart the vetiver is there, but it is restrained and never smells too dry. There is also some kind of aroma-chem wood, but it is blended deftly in. Smells like a person who is not trying too hard, in a good way. It smells like a higher quality Old Spice. It has a classic scent profile, and smells super masculine to me. I’m no fanboy, but this is a good one. Complex interesting composition, though it is a little light. It doesn’t really project hard. At 3 hours it is definitely more of a skin scent. I expected a bit better performance.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Tom Ford Fougere d'Argent

First thought was that it has a very common masculine profile. The lavender on top of the ginger and akigalawood seems to be the basic structure. There is something just a tad spice-like in the opening that never quite blooms into being. Overall, it reminds me of the Brut I splashed on after shaving earlier, though smelling of a completely different class of quality. Nicely blended, and I would almost hazard to say subtle for a fougere and for Tom Ford fragrances I've tried in general. It seems like many times that less potent "jump" from the opening in parfums leads to increased longevity, but that is sadly not the case for me here. Granted, I did not moisturize before sampling, but this settled to a skin scent surprisingly quick, and morphs into its final stage in about an hour. Here it is a vaguely woody with a very faint hint of labdanum, but I really have to bury my nose in here to pick it up. An updated version of a classic scent. To me, this is to Brut what Viking is to Old Spice. I like the scent, and an updated fougere would be an awesome thing to have this day and age, but the performance here is just bad.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Oud Essential

Synthetic oud, which seems to straddle the line between the medicinal and rubbery variety. Reminiscent of the oud in Leather Oud. I like the sharpness that the saffron brings in the begining. The rose here is more tame than in other rose/ouds I have smelled, which lends this a more easily worn masculine vibe. It has a brown leather feel in the middle. The overall impression is a somewhat less "horse stables" Dior Leather Oud. Smells high quality, not cheap. I don't feel like there are any rough edges. Longevity and projection are both good.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I didn't realize you hadn't had a taste of vintage Givenchy Gentleman. For me, it starts out fine, but after about 45 minutes gets really nice. I get a fair amount on my undershirt, and the whole effect is amazing for as much as 24 hours.

I might like Ho Hang Club even more. The base is almost as nice as Givenchy Gentleman, and the opening is so much fun. My girlfriend's pick from this corner of my wardrobe is Moschino Pour Homme.
    Ho Hang Club and Moschino Pour Homme are great scents, I like the latter more. I think it would be a great choice for an office scent. I'm done this a few times already.

I'm very surprised it has a 100% positive rating here 29 reviews and counting.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Eau de Nyonya by Auphorie

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Caron Pour Un Homme

So, umm... the opening of this one stinks. There is something off-putting of the juxtaposition of the vanilla, lavender, and musk. I enjoy all three of these, but something here just doesn't work for me. Once it dries down a while the powdery aspect seemed to take over and it smells a bit better. It seems to have fuzzy edges. Others have mentioned play-doh. Yeah, I got that in the opening, but as it settled in the correlation diminished. The more this one fades, the more I like it. Though, that could just be because I can't smell it as much. Definitely smells dated, though not like an old man. More like powdered wigs.
    This one I haven't tried. The note breakdown doesn't look at all appealing. I fear the lavender will be over powering, a note that I struggle to get along with. Do you get a powdery sweet drydown?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Do you get a powdery sweet drydown?
    Yeah, powdery sweet. The sweetness is not the contemporary sweetness though, just coming off of the back of the lavender with a sort of transparent feel.

Guerlain Oud Essential

Synthetic oud, which seems to straddle the line between the medicinal and rubbery variety. Reminiscent of the oud in Leather Oud. I like the sharpness that the saffron brings in the begining. The rose here is more tame than in other rose/ouds I have smelled, which lends this a more easily worn masculine vibe. It has a brown leather feel in the middle. The overall impression is a somewhat less "horse stables" Dior Leather Oud. Smells high quality, not cheap. I don't feel like there are any rough edges. Longevity and projection are both good.

I noticed from your wardrobe you haven't given Xerjoff ouds a try. There's a few notable names worth trying from that brand.

Basenotes Plus

JPG Fleur du Male

White flowers. I'm terrible with female fragrances, and this seems pretty feminine to me. There are aromatics of some nature which hint at unisexuality. This, though I have not tried it, is what I have imagined Amouage Reflection Man to smell like. It is strong and lasts a quite a bit. Reminds me of the other Kurkdjians that I have tried. SOTD today is APOM, and another I smelled recently was Aqua Universalis Forte. Both of those are also white florals. He seems to have a style that he uses when composing these. In my wardrobe they would be interchangeable, though not identical.

Guerlain Oud Essential

Would you consider it to be full bottle worthy?
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Would you consider it to be full bottle worthy?
    Initially I had thought I saw it in the $200+ price range, which would have been an easy no for me. I just don't really go that high. Just looking it up to quote the price here I'm seeing it for $103. Now that is a much more interesting proposition. I'm trying to keep my full bottle wardrobe really really low, like total under 20 by years end. I don't think this makes the cut. The synthetic wood drydown on this one just pounded on for a long time. After the leather, rose, and saffron were long gone. I could still smell the woody (note: not oudy) smell the 16 hours later. If I still have some money left over at the end of this summer it would be in the running. Outclasses many others in that price
    range.

Basenotes Plus

Heeley Sel Marin

The much celebrated marine fragrance. There is an opening hit of rubbing alcohol that is offputing, but only lasts 10 seconds. Lemon, bergamot. Something sort of minty. The overall impression is that of a salty sea breeze. Salty. A couple hours later it has a salty driftwood aspect to it. There is a leather and vetiver tinge, but they never become very prominent, or make it lean at all heavy. I could wear this. Seemed to get some wafts for a few hours, not heavy, or super noticeable if you don't know what you are smelling. Seems to be a good smell for very hot weather to me. But while the tight projection will be good for high heat, I also want it to last as it will be burning off faster. Longevity is not great on this one. I'd expect more from a premium fragrance. I've got to throw in here, I find the bottle to be fantastic looking. Simple design with a handsome wood cap. Does seem like a fine fragrance, without playing to the crowd and dousing it in calone and Tonka. All things considered, not FBW.

Basenotes Plus

Givenchy Gentleman

I bought this one from the perfumedcourt, labeled as "Givenchy Gentleman Vintage Original EDT", but did not see the bottle, or receive a description of the date it was manufactured.

First impression is that it smells like a classic composition of some sorts. Smells like cologne. It reminds me of the feel of Caron Third Man, though I'm not sure they really have anything in common. Its patchouli then leather, honey/civet. There is a definite urinous aspect here with the civet and honey. Those two go together really well. I love that civet smell, you just don't see that much these days. That died down in about 20 minutes In the heart I can't seem to break down the notes. It is earthy, woody, and a bit smokey (maybe from the vetiver?) It has an earthy feel, with leather and hints of honey and cinnamon. Patchouli can feel at times to stink of hippies smoking weed (I'm looking at you, Kouros), but this one is more cleaned up. The fragrance as a whole feels somewhat restrained at the end, though I am getting peek-a-boo whiffs every now and again, so it could just be my nose. This final part, to me, is the first part that has made me think "gentlemanly." I feel like this one evolves a lot, and quite rapidly. It feels like a slide, dropping down to a base that then sticks around. This is an interesting composition. The opening seems a bit "dated" while the drydown seems more "timeless." Probably best suited for fragrance enthusiasts and men over 30.

Tom Ford Fougere d'Argent

First thought was that it has a very common masculine profile. The lavender on top of the ginger and akigalawood seems to be the basic structure. There is something just a tad spice-like in the opening that never quite blooms into being. Overall, it reminds me of the Brut I splashed on after shaving earlier, though smelling of a completely different class of quality. Nicely blended, and I would almost hazard to say subtle for a fougere and for Tom Ford fragrances I've tried in general. It seems like many times that less potent "jump" from the opening in parfums leads to increased longevity, but that is sadly not the case for me here. Granted, I did not moisturize before sampling, but this settled to a skin scent surprisingly quick, and morphs into its final stage in about an hour. Here it is a vaguely woody with a very faint hint of labdanum, but I really have to bury my nose in here to pick it up. An updated version of a classic scent. To me, this is to Brut what Viking is to Old Spice. I like the scent, and an updated fougere would be an awesome thing to have this day and age, but the performance here is just bad.
    Have you tried Rive Gauche by YSL?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Givenchy Gentleman

I bought this one from the perfumedcourt, labeled as "Givenchy Gentleman Vintage Original EDT", but did not see the bottle, or receive a description of the date it was manufactured.

First impression is that it smells like a classic composition of some sorts. Smells like cologne. It reminds me of the feel of Caron Third Man, though I'm not sure they really have anything in common. Its patchouli then leather, honey/civet. There is a definite urinous aspect here with the civet and honey. Those two go together really well. I love that civet smell, you just don't see that much these days. That died down in about 20 minutes In the heart I can't seem to break down the notes. It is earthy, woody, and a bit smokey (maybe from the vetiver?) It has an earthy feel, with leather and hints of honey and cinnamon. Patchouli can feel at times to stink of hippies smoking weed (I'm looking at you, Kouros), but this one is more cleaned up. The fragrance as a whole feels somewhat restrained at the end, though I am getting peek-a-boo whiffs every now and again, so it could just be my nose. This final part, to me, is the first part that has made me think "gentlemanly." I feel like this one evolves a lot, and quite rapidly. It feels like a slide, dropping down to a base that then sticks around. This is an interesting composition. The opening seems a bit "dated" while the drydown seems more "timeless." Probably best suited for fragrance enthusiasts and men over 30.
    Good notes on this one. The base is timeless, I agree.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    Have you tried Rive Gauche by YSL?
    I have not. I do hear the Brut talk when it comes to Rive. I generally dislike vintage hunting and had heard the new version was gutted. I'm shortlisting that one for trial.

Basenotes Plus

Havent done this in a while, but did a decent haul of interesting frags. Will be receiving samples of:
    1. Free Trapper
    2. Dia Man
    3. Duro
    4. CdG 2 Man
    5. Salome
    6. 1861 Naxos
    7. Dodo
    8. CdG Wonderwood
    9. Blackpepper
    10. Ummagumma

This one should be fun! Will report my initial thoughts when they arrive (says thursday arrival, but id bet friday).

Basenotes Plus

First impressions were trash. Nose just didnt cooperate.
    Duro - woody
    CdG 2 Man - soapy
    Salome - kind musk
    Dodo - fougere
    Blackpepper - i do smell pepper
    Ummagumma - gourmand coffee

Basenotes Plus

Ummagumma by Bruno Fazzolari

Not neccesarily my thing. Good quality though. The wife said "it smells like food." Apt. It opens with a choco-tonka-coffee smell. The tonka is used judiciously here as to keep this a gourmand without necesarily bludgeoning you with sweetness. As this fades a couple hour in it is a cocolate incense fragrance. There is notable development in this fragrance, which keeps it interesting. Sort of a niche quality incense A*Men. Good performance.

Basenotes Plus

Dia Man by Amouage

To me its a spiced mixed floral, made more masculine and dry by some leather and vetiver. There is a lightness in its composition. There is some incense in the heart, blended behind the floral top. Kinda smells like a small shop in the mall that sells overpriced tiny porcelein figurines and greeting cards. Kind of a dried potpouri smell, not a sumptuous juicy floral. Longevity and performance were acceptabley average.

Basenotes Plus

Duro by Nasamotto

It smells like Dr. Pepper with some woods. Maybe a mixed drink with dr. Pepper and some sort of woody liqueur. It is strong, but in a nice way. Miscellaniously woody with pink pepper sweetness. To me this is about at the border. The sheer strength of the woods though balances this back to being a woody fragrance. Leather is a player, and it is a vaguely smoked background. Id put the woods and pink pepper over the leather in prominence. Good scent. Almost lost its way with the sweetness, but the strong performance keeps it afloat to a medium sized thumbs up.

Basenotes Plus

Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga

Less wild than the name would imply. It has a central quality that is medicinal and camphor like. This hangs around straight through the opening and the heart. The castoreum here is quite sanitized until it reads almost as just a weak dirty leather. It overall has a feel that is semi balsamic. There is a bit of smokyness that emerges in the heart and stays for the duration. Longevity seemed average, but was reduced to a skin scent after about only two hours or so.

Basenotes Plus

Salome by Papillon

Beautiful floral opening strong in jasmine mixed with musk. Sort of the same opening feel as Kiehls, but they depart pretty quickly. There is much more going on here, and at a much deeper level. The heart is a gorgeous birch tar castoreum leather feel, a bit smoky, and just really deep, and a bit dark, like a hazy dark tan color. Really something i have not run across much. It has a timeless beauty to it. It left an oil sheen where i applied it. Really just smells of high quality. Makes me want to check out other things they've done, that type if quality.
    Last edited by notspendingamillion; 13th June 2019 at 03:56 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Dodo by Zoologist

No. Wrong. Its a fougere... in the air. Super harsh up close. Moth bally, bug sprayish, wet rat nest smell over fruity salt or something. Also the first fragrance to make something twing in my head and give me a headache about 10 minutes in. By far my least favorite Zoologist to date. Good lasring power, as per Zoologists MO, but little evolution. Smells fairly linear to my nose.
    Last edited by notspendingamillion; 13th June 2019 at 02:15 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Valour by Robert Graham

Note list is misleading. It is not a heavy gourmand, as coffee, sage, and amber would have you believe. It is somewhat lighter, without a heavy vanilla or tonka base. It is sweet in the realm of Tom Ford Noir Extreme, sort of almost coming halfway between the kuffi smell there and the pink pepper of Bulgari Man in Black. Ambroxan backbone is what they really meant by amber. The is a quiet coffee note there, and the sage making this just a bit more interesting smelling than bland.
    Last edited by notspendingamillion; 13th June 2019 at 03:55 AM.

Salome bt Papillon

Beautiful floral opening strong in jasmine mixed with musk. Sort of the same opening feel as Kiehls, but they depart pretty quickly. There is much more going on here, and at a much deeper level. The heart is a gorgeous birch tar castoreum leather feel, a bit smoky, and just really deep, and a bit dark, line a hazy dark tan color. Really something i have not run across much. It has a timeless beauty to it. It left an oil sheen where i applied it. Really just smells of high quality. Makes me want to check out other things they've done, that type if quality.
    Angelique and Dryad are also really high quality.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Angelique and Dryad are also really high quality.
    Im so bad with florals, i tend to just gloss over with a sad little color impression (white, yellow). Also why i have a terrible time with classically feminine oriented fragrances. Im not sure i've ever been as intruiged by one. Beautiful fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Blackpepper by Comme de Garcons

It indeed opens up with a strong hit of pepper grinder black pepper. I timed it, this blends in with the rest of the scent in 35 minutes. Before that it is a bit of an unbalanced overload, though interesting and not unpleasant. Doesnt scream, sits down relatively early. Fairly clean, woody, and peppery. Polite and well mannered.

Basenotes Plus

Wonderwood by Comme de Garcons

Its soft and dry. Woody dry cedar, a bit of a thinner cedar, sort of transparent, sandalwood, pencil shavings. Blend all the woods you got. Well balanced, all the notes purr along together. Smells modern and a bit softly minimalistic.