Code of Conduct

Default Is it essential to mature and macerate new perfume formula before testing it?

Hello I am new to perfume making and have a question around maceration and maturation during the creative process. When creating new formula, being in small quantities do you wait for a period of time before and after adding PA? does it really make a difference in small test batches? I am using natural ingredients in some cases resins too if that makes any difference. I have read people formulating and coming back to test them months later...is there really a difference in smell when dealing with such small quantities?
    What is your experience or routine in this scenario? Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Is it essential to mature and macerate new perfume formula before testing it?

Well what I've heard is that when building a perfume you have to know how everything blends together by smelling it, while it can change over months it's unavoidable to wait, usually if it smells bad during blending it will still smell nearly as bad after maturing. I'm sure there are caveats like knowing how a certain aroma chemical will evolve and adjust to that, but you shouldn't underestimate how a fresh formula smells.

Default Re: Is it essential to mature and macerate new perfume formula before testing it?

I understand what you mean by using the fresh formula as a baseline to know if the formula is any good or not...I was bit concerned of not getting most of the picture for example if am using lots of resins after hearing it takes time for such ingredients to reveal fully in a fragrance...but like you said knowing the materials and how they develop overtime can be used to guess...thanks that helps.

Like for example put in a little extra fruity notes to compensate for perhaps the wood becoming stronger after maturation, same goes for resins.

Yes, it is essential. Sometimes ingredients form new chemical compounds with a slightly different profile. But in general top notes become less harsh and stuff that "stick out" become less protruding.
    It is also essential to let the mixture mature after blending with EtOH. I have found some of my mixtures that was nearly discarded became very pleasant after two months of maturation. I take the effect into account when formulating, especially Cologne type scents.

Thanks Birdie! Appreciate your input!

Maturation has a positive affect on accords for 2 reasons.

One, a matured accord smells less jagged, less harsh and more "one," more seamless.
    This is the chemical changes within the accord itself. These are observation independent chemical changes.

And Two, with time your mind develops a means of registering this new "one," accord. What do I mean? Well, you must memorize how the accord smells. Not as parts of a whole, but as unique scent, whole and complete unto itself.

You need time to forget what went into the accord, and you must come to "view," it as a whole.

Affectively
    the accord matures as "one," material.
    the artist`s mind comes to view it as "one," material.

*Yes! I agree with the above.
    Many an accord I nearly threw out smelled VERY nice after several months maturation.

EXPERIMENT with the weirdest, harshest, most unpleasant accords you like....
    Stow them away for a year, and come back to them. You might be VERY happily surprised!

I've been told by a perfumer at Givaudan to wait at least 12 hours before evaluating/testing your fragrance... Although I have dipped a blotter prematurely and really can't help it sometimes. But yes, it smooths out and certain notes increase/decrease their dominance.