Code of Conduct

Thread: Red apples?!

Default Red apples?!

I'm trying to make a really pretty red apple rose peony scent. It's just about done and it's nice. The only problem is in the center of the fragrance it smells "like a doll's head". I'm not sure what's causing the powder effect in the upper and middle notes but I do know what the ingredients to make it a red apple instead of a green one are part of it. Like red berry and strawberry ac's. But I do want that waxy red apple smell as opposed to green apple. So bouncing ideas off the wall my question is in order to counteract the doll smell do you think I should add more green apple or more exotic/pineapple notes?

Default Re: Red apples?!

""... I should add more green apple or more exotic/pineapple notes?""
    Imho, the seconds. (isoamyl isovalerate,etc.etc.), a little bit..

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    I'm trying to make a really pretty red apple rose peony scent. It's just about done and it's nice. The only problem is in the center of the fragrance it smells "like a doll's head". I'm not sure what's causing the powder effect in the upper and middle notes but I do know what the ingredients to make it a red apple instead of a green one are part of it. Like red berry and strawberry ac's. But I do want that waxy red apple smell as opposed to green apple. So bouncing ideas off the wall my question is in order to counteract the doll smell do you think I should add more green apple or more exotic/pineapple notes?
    Kind of difficult to say what the issue is without knowing what you have in there but I don't really get berry and strawberry in red apples unless you are going for a fantasy note. Alpha damascone could be helpful

What about carnuba oil for the fresh waxed scent?

Manzanate has a red apple cider vibe, Verdox HC can help smooth it out.

It does have manzanate, fructone and verdox in it as well as many other green apple ingredients. I looked up a bunch of references on red apples and found that the scent of red is contributed to by pineapple type smells as well as strawberry glycidate and fructulate. I used many waxy ingredients but they are in the base notes so it's weird that it smells sooo much like doll head in the upper middle notes. However what I want is essentially there doll head and all. Just wandering is green apple the counteraction to doll head or is exotic pineapple??

Well then keep doll head just as it is and call it doll head. Apparently people are looking for that. What do you use for peony smell?

You should checkout Coniferan Pure, it has a pear-like aspect that is reminiscent of apples, I will try and make a concoction with Manzanate, Verdox HC and Coniferan Pure and see what I get.

The main thing was peomosa, syringaldehyde but also materials that intersect rose, peony, and muguet florals. There's a lot in there and maybe that is part of what is contributing the powedery smell like cyclamen aldehyde maybe?

Yeah the foral aspects are possibly creating that powdery scent. On another note I surprisingly made a yellow apple accord with my above ingredients: 42dr ethanol, 8 dr Verdox HC, 12 dr Coniferan Pure, 1dr Manzanate 10%.

I have no idea until I learn more, I thought powdery was a high Ph thing. Or lack of oils.
    You know this is similar to a Jo Malone peony, maybe you can sample it and see if it is powdery too.

Meanwhile, as Barbie wanna-be in waiting room for plastic surgery, perusing web for this 'Dollhead' fragrance you speak of, to spray on their scalp!
    Just a thought.

Powdery has different meanings like powdery like face powder which is ionones and powder like cosmetics which is ionones and rose materials as well as a generic powder made from base note materials like vanilla, heliotropin, and musks.

I wonder if anybody knows how Manzanate macerates over time. Does it lose that bitter cider aspect or does it get stronger when diluted with ethanol and other materials?

I also am wondering... did you put Iso E Super in there at sometime.

So I have figure out that in the 20-45hr range I have not put enough green or pineapple so I will be experimenting with adding more triplal, verdalia, hexalon, isopentyrate. This section that goes all doll headed is the worst. Everything else is fantastic. Estery explosion of peony apple from top to bottom. I could take things out but I have room to add

Yeah I think when working with strong fruity notes it's best to wait a few days to see how they react with the blend.

Manzanate stays very tart and smells similar to nail polish remover but it is a lot softer. Definitely has the peeling a green apple or just biting into one note. It's fantastic! I have mine diluted to 10%

Make it more pineapple.. and call it Dole head

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    Make it more pineapple.. and call it Dole head
    love it!

Maybe a small amount of ethyl safranate?