Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. #1

    Default Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    I'm looking for a fragrance for my 21 year old nephew, who is a student and lives in the UK (if that matters). I'm looking for something with good/above average performance for around £50 or less.

    He already owns Sauvage.

    So far, I've come up with the following list:

    Aventus (£64 for 50ml decant)
    Spicebomb / Spicebomb Eau Fraiche (£50-55 for 90ml)
    1 Million (£47 for 100ml)
    La Nuit de L'Homme (£43 for 60ml)
    Dunhill Icon (£37 for 100ml)

    Any thoughts on the above, or suggestions for other suitable fragrances, would be most welcome.

    Thanks!


    Update: After listening to advice / recommendations on this thread and reading some more reviews, this is my current list of possible purchases:

    Aventus: unique for a student, versatile/easy wear, too expensive for him to replace? too much of a similar vibe to Sauvage?
    Bleu de Chanel EDT: versatile/easy wear, too popular in UK?
    Spicebomb: too popular in UK?
    Individual: good price, too sweet/fruity? longevity issues?
    Eau des Baux: dry down too sweet and feminine?
    Versace Pour Homme: versatile/easy wear, too boring?
    One Million: too popular in UK?

    * just my thoughts / concerns
    Last edited by morrison74; 13th October 2018 at 10:08 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Depends very much also on the style he most enjoys both in fragrance but also fashion, hobbies etc. because if he is into something more classic yet still trendy and age appropriate, either Aventus or YSL La Nuit would be good options to start with while remaining on budget

    Among other fragrances within this budget, Burberry London, Eau des Baux, Rochas Man and/or Lanvin Avant Garde might work as well
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Just Rock!
    Oud pour Lui
    Black Soul (Imperial)
    Icon Intense

  4. #4
    Dependent Francolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South of No North
    Posts
    6,861

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Bleu de Chanel edt
    we can be heroes just for one day!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Dior Fahrenheit

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    Scarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,457

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    The Aventus decant for 54 quid is your best buy. The others look like msrp and are a bit too high for what they are.
    Most worn:

    Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella


  7. #7
    Super Member Maxtesti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Last edited by Maxtesti; 11th October 2018 at 05:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDT
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    252,323

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Bleu de Chanel edt
    Another for this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Individuel and you will have extra bucks to buy Cologne des Missions by Le Covent des Minimes.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38,621

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    +1 for D&G The One (Edp)
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Versace Pour Homme

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Aventus will be lost on the crowd you'll be around.

    I think your best bet is the original spice bomb. not the fresh or extreme. it's woody and spicy with just enough florals to intrigue the opposite sex. I wore it almost exclusively from age 23 to 26.

    One million is "good" scent wise for the category, but the synthetic notes are really brash where I find spice bomb hides its' synthetic notes much better. Spicebomb Extreme ruins this by taking out the floral notes altogether and doubling down on the spices to make it Spice Nuke. No bueno.


    For what it's worth I have some high end niche stuff I've spent between $200 and $450 a bottle on, but I just picked up an original bottle of spicebomb last week because it's just so effortlessly crowd pleasing and enjoyable in the fall/winter.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

  14. #14
    Aquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MIAMI
    Posts
    351
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDT
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink
    Currently wearing: Intense Cafe by Montale

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Look at the prices then obviously Aventus. You will need to check the authenticity though.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    I'd go for the original Spicebomb and would also look into Dolce & Gabbana's The One. With autumn and winter around the corner, they should be very good and versatile fragrances for this season.

    Quote Originally Posted by tungdd View Post
    Look at the prices then obviously Aventus. You will need to check the authenticity though.
    I just had a look and I know who's selling the decant. It's legit.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    ADG Profumo.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Doesn't Givenchy Pi just scream college days? Also the original Pour Homme in the red bottle is signature worthy.

    Agree with the Chanel Allure line, seems to be at the upper end of your budget for 50ml.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Depends very much also on the style he most enjoys both in fragrance but also fashion, hobbies etc. because if he is into something more classic yet still trendy and age appropriate, either Aventus or YSL La Nuit would be good options to start with while remaining on budget

    Among other fragrances within this budget, Burberry London, Eau des Baux, Rochas Man and/or Lanvin Avant Garde might work as well
    He's into the latest fashions and designer labels. He used to go out partying a lot, but now that he's in his final year at uni, he goes out less often. He also has a steady girlfriend. I did consider Eau des Baux (I used to own this) and Avant Garde (I own this), but thought EdB might be a bit too 'mature' for him, and the prices for Avant Garde have skyrocketed ($100+) recently as I think it must have been discontinued or something?? London and Rochas Man are good suggestions, too. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Just Rock!
    Oud pour Lui
    Black Soul (Imperial)
    Icon Intense
    These are all new to me. I'll check them out Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Bleu de Chanel edt
    I also considered this. I own the EDP and like it, but I don't get very good performance from it. It seems to stop projecting much after an hour or two, and the longevity is quite poor on me too. Hopefully the EDT has better performance? I only tried it once and can't remember how well it performed. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Dior Fahrenheit
    When he was a teenager, he would often steal my Fahrenheit, so this isn't a bad suggestion actually. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The Aventus decant for 54 quid is your best buy. The others look like msrp and are a bit too high for what they are.
    Sorry, the 50ml Aventus decant is actually £64...my bad. It's a little over budget, but still doable. A solid choice for sure. I agree with the others being a bit pricey for what they are, in general. The Dunhill Icon is a pretty good deal though- almost 50% off the msrp. Thanks for your suggestion!

    I thought about CH Men but dismissed it due to concerns over its performance (it didn't last long on me). I also thought about The One EDP, but also dismissed it after reading reviews that mentioned weak performance. Stronger With You is a new one for me- I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDT
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Another vote for Bleu de Chanel EDT. Allure Homme Sport is a great suggestion- didn't think of that one. At around £50 for 50ml, it fits my budget too. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Another for this.
    Another vote for Bleu de Chanel EDT. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Individuel and you will have extra bucks to buy Cologne des Missions by Le Covent des Minimes.
    I did consider Individual. Not sure why I dismissed it initially. A 75ml bottle can be had for £23 too! It's going back on the list. Thanks! I have Cologne des Missions by Le Covent des Minimes and really like it- though I usually layer something on top of it. My partner loves it and has kind of made it her signature, which means I've been using it less and less lately. I think it may be a tad too feminine for my nephew though.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    +1 for D&G The One (Edp)
    How's the projection/ longevity for you? Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Versace Pour Homme
    Good suggestion. I've never tried it but I know it's considered to be quite a safe scent. I've also seen it being compared to Allure Homme Sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Aventus will be lost on the crowd you'll be around.

    I think your best bet is the original spice bomb. not the fresh or extreme. it's woody and spicy with just enough florals to intrigue the opposite sex. I wore it almost exclusively from age 23 to 26.

    One million is "good" scent wise for the category, but the synthetic notes are really brash where I find spice bomb hides its' synthetic notes much better. Spicebomb Extreme ruins this by taking out the floral notes altogether and doubling down on the spices to make it Spice Nuke. No bueno.


    For what it's worth I have some high end niche stuff I've spent between $200 and $450 a bottle on, but I just picked up an original bottle of spicebomb last week because it's just so effortlessly crowd pleasing and enjoyable in the fall/winter.
    Thanks for the Spicebomb info. I liked the original, but haven't tried the Extreme or the Eau Fraiche.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquil View Post
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDT
    Another one. This is definitely the most suggested fragrance so far. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by tungdd View Post
    Look at the prices then obviously Aventus. You will need to check the authenticity though.
    Yeah, it's legit. I got the price wrong though- it's actually £64 for a 50ml decant.Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I'd go for the original Spicebomb and would also look into Dolce & Gabbana's The One. With autumn and winter around the corner, they should be very good and versatile fragrances for this season.



    I just had a look and I know who's selling the decant. It's legit.
    Another vote for Spicebomb! I think The One, or one of its flankers (EDP, Grey), could be a good choice. I'm just a bit worried about the performance, mainly the longevity. D&G fragrances never seem to last very long for me. Thanks for your suggestions.

    Quote Originally Posted by A10 View Post
    ADG Profumo.
    Good suggestion, thanks! Forgot about this one. A 75ml bottle is within my budget, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
    Doesn't Givenchy Pi just scream college days? Also the original Pour Homme in the red bottle is signature worthy.

    Agree with the Chanel Allure line, seems to be at the upper end of your budget for 50ml.
    I'm not sure how, but I've never tried/sampled Pi. The reviews seem a bit hit and miss with this one- one of those love it or hate it fragrances. I need to read more reviews of it. I've never tried Givenchy pour Homme either, but often see it getting lamented for longevity issues. I agree that the Allure line could be a good, safe choice. Thanks for your suggestions!
    Last edited by morrison74; 11th October 2018 at 02:13 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Another vote for Spicebomb! I think The One, or one of its flankers (EDP, Grey), could be a good choice. I'm just a bit worried about the performance, mainly the longevity. D&G fragrances never seem to last very long for me. Thanks for your suggestions.
    To be fair, I never had any longevity issues with The One, however, it does get very quiet after a few hours. However, this isn't necessarily bad as it doesn't overwhelm. Perfect for more intimate moments and dates in my opinion, but not necessarily something that you might like if you want to leave a trail of scent for several hours.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    To be fair, I never had any longevity issues with The One, however, it does get very quiet after a few hours. However, this isn't necessarily bad as it doesn't overwhelm. Perfect for more intimate moments and dates in my opinion, but not necessarily something that you might like if you want to leave a trail of scent for several hours.
    Same here, The One EDT is great on me so I never feel the need to buy EDP, however, I did sell the fragrance because I felt that it is a bit playful for me. However, maybe his nephew will appreciate it more. It would make a nice combo with Sauvage, though. It is a nice date scent, not that great for clubbing, as the silage is not very good. It is also a safe scent, it won't offense anyone.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  22. #22

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Hang on a minute

    50ml of Aventus for £64!!!!!!!!!!!!

    How, where?????????? ---- I need names

  23. #23

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Hang on a minute

    50ml of Aventus for £64!!!!!!!!!!!!

    How, where?????????? ---- I need names
    How: by split
    Where: split board
    Name: Palmolive

    He's in the UK, so you are all set to go...

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/457...is-Silver-Mist

    He's on flacon no.60!
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th October 2018 at 11:28 AM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    To be fair, I never had any longevity issues with The One, however, it does get very quiet after a few hours. However, this isn't necessarily bad as it doesn't overwhelm. Perfect for more intimate moments and dates in my opinion, but not necessarily something that you might like if you want to leave a trail of scent for several hours.
    Hmm. That's good to know. Maybe The one EDT would be a good scent for going out with his girlfriend then. Thanks for your input.

    Quote Originally Posted by tungdd View Post
    Same here, The One EDT is great on me so I never feel the need to buy EDP, however, I did sell the fragrance because I felt that it is a bit playful for me. However, maybe his nephew will appreciate it more. It would make a nice combo with Sauvage, though. It is a nice date scent, not that great for clubbing, as the silage is not very good. It is also a safe scent, it won't offense anyone.
    Do you mean Sauvage for clubbing and The One EDT for more intimate settings?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Seems like Bleu de Chanel EDT, Spicebomb, Aventus, D&G The One and the Chanel Allure Home line (possibly Sport) are the front runners at the moment.

  26. #26
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    I just remembered another good one, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDT/EDP very nice fragrance that will stand out amongst the others out there. Very crowd pleasing and versatile and not age designated.

  27. #27
    Basenotes Junkie crashtestbrummie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Seems like Bleu de Chanel EDT, Spicebomb, Aventus, D&G The One and the Chanel Allure Home line (possibly Sport) are the front runners at the moment.
    I'm no fan of Creed at all, but I would say Aventus in this scenario. He's a student and it's highly unlikely any of his peers will wear it unlike, say, Bleu (which is kinda in the same general ballpark as Sauvage, anyway). Also, think of the kudos gained from his perspective!

    I wouldn't say Spicebomb has enough across the board appeal to be a safe choice; Dunhill Icon is a favourite of mine but don't think of it as a 21-year-old at uni kind of fragrance. D&G the One vanishes in half an hour on me, and of the Allure Homme line I would only see Eau Extreme as being a good choice for him.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Aventus by far. It has wide appeal and is versatile enough to feel comfortable wearing anywhere at anytime, plus at his age it'll likely be a far more unique choice than the others.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Hmm. That's good to know. Maybe The one EDT would be a good scent for going out with his girlfriend then. Thanks for your input.



    Do you mean Sauvage for clubbing and The One EDT for more intimate settings?
    Yes, Aventus is hella versatile but has some similarities with Sauvage. The One is in a different direction and maybe a better choice. I don't suggest buying EDT version of The One as it has longevity issue for many people, you should go with EDP.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  30. #30

    Default Re: Nice fragrance for a 21 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I just remembered another good one, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDT/EDP very nice fragrance that will stand out amongst the others out there. Very crowd pleasing and versatile and not age designated.
    I liked Grey Vetiver when I sampled it, but considered it more suitable for someone over 30. Although, I guess a good scent is a good scent, no matter what. Thanks for the suggestion.


    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I'm no fan of Creed at all, but I would say Aventus in this scenario. He's a student and it's highly unlikely any of his peers will wear it unlike, say, Bleu (which is kinda in the same general ballpark as Sauvage, anyway). Also, think of the kudos gained from his perspective!

    I wouldn't say Spicebomb has enough across the board appeal to be a safe choice; Dunhill Icon is a favourite of mine but don't think of it as a 21-year-old at uni kind of fragrance. D&G the One vanishes in half an hour on me, and of the Allure Homme line I would only see Eau Extreme as being a good choice for him.
    I have smelled Bleu de Chanel quite a few times on people in the UK. Have yet to smell Aventus on anyone other than myself though. I've had quite a lot of compliments with both of these. I also really like Dunhill Icon and was a bit on the fence about whether it would be suitable a 21 year old. I must admit, the good price and fantastic bottle may have swayed my judgement. Thanks for your thoughts on Spicebomb, The One and Allure Homme Eau Extreme.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Aventus by far. It has wide appeal and is versatile enough to feel comfortable wearing anywhere at anytime, plus at his age it'll likely be a far more unique choice than the others.
    Definitely more unique and pretty versatile. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by tungdd View Post
    Yes, Aventus is hella versatile but has some similarities with Sauvage. The One is in a different direction and maybe a better choice. I don't suggest buying EDT version of The One as it has longevity issue for many people, you should go with EDP.
    What would you say the similarities are between Aventus and Sauvage? Thanks for your input.

    Seems like Aventus is taking a slight lead here.

Similar Threads

  1. 25 year old men dating a 50 year old women / fragrance suggestions?
    By qwertz in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 14th June 2018, 09:54 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 27th August 2017, 09:03 AM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26th August 2017, 04:06 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 27th March 2013, 12:30 PM
  5. Whats a good year round fragrance for a 14 year old male?
    By kkingm810 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 7th October 2012, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000