Code of Conduct

Thread: Papyrus

Default Papyrus

Recently tried Clive Christian XX Papyrus. Really like it and it's different from anything else I have. Cannot see myself springing for the $550 price tag anytime soon.
    Would appreciate any recommendations in the $200-$300 range that would be dead ringers or at least capture the essence of the fragrance.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Papyrus

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    Recently tried Clive Christian XX Papyrus. Really like it and it's different from anything else I have. Cannot see myself springing for the $550 price tag anytime soon.
    Would appreciate any recommendations in the $200-$300 range that would be dead ringers or at least capture the essence of the fragrance.
    Recently purchased the Clive Christian and agree it's very nice. Have you tried the new one by Parle Moi De Parfum - Papyrus Oud? It might be worth a try. Not the same as the CC but very nice also IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have never smelled the Clive Christian scent but Olfactive Studio Chambre Noire has a pronounced papyrus heart note.

Notes:
    schinus
    jasmine, papyrus, violet, incense, prune
    sandalwood, patchouli, musk, vanilla, leather
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Burberry Antique Oak, Byredo Rose of No Man's Land, Oud Silk Mood, Dzongkha, Santal Carmin.
    Currently wearing: Versace Man by Versace

There's a good papyrus note in Fancy Nights, which I consider unisex. Since it's like $10 per 100 ml, it can't be any good, though, right?

Something really cheap and good is Hommage a l'homme Voyager by Lalique

Have tried Byredo Rose of No Man's Land, Oud Silk Mood, and Santal Carmin. None of these reminded me of the Clive Christian in any way.
    Will have to check out the Antique Oak.

Have tried Byredo Rose of No Man's Land, Oud Silk Mood, and Santal Carmin. None of these reminded me of the Clive Christian in any way.
    Will have to check out the Antique Oak.
    Ops! Sorry. I misunderstood your question. Disregard all my suggestions, including Antique Oak. I don’t recall the smell of This Clive Christian. Really sorry.

No worries!
    Always read your posts and admire your taste so was at least mildly surprised that I could not relate to your suggestions.
    If you ever get a chance to smell it I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

I have a sample -- it's both dry and rich simultaneously --- it's basically wondrous

I haven't tried anything that is a close resemblance

You can have what's left in my little spray bottle for £30

Blog Entries

It's the only one that got my attention from the VII, VIII, XX, XXI samples. After the citrus/green burns off, and the lavender begins to fade, Papyrus reminded me of Bois Farine. I've got them on side by side now for this post, and at opening there's no resemblance, but when I tried Papyrus for the first time and let it dry down at some point I thought--hey, this is Bois Farine that lasts more than 2 hours. I know on the face of it, this sounds idiotic.

If you do spring for it, order from the CC website--it's 350 pounds or 462 dollars. Shipping is steep but not 90 bucks, and CC is generous with samples. A couple of purchases came with VII and VIII travel sample boxes, but then the XX and XXI travel boxes came out of the blue just because I made their mailing list as a past customer. It hardly justifies the price, but better than a kick in the pants.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Day Dreams by Montale

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    There's a good papyrus note in Fancy Nights, which I consider unisex. Since it's like $10 per 100 ml, it can't be any good, though, right?
    Absolutely! High price always means high quality, right?. (nudge nudge::wink wink)
    Summer grasses
    All that remains
    Of warriors’ dreams--Matsuo Basshõ--1644-1694

Good suggestion Shycat.
    Only advantage of buying through a store is to win the undying appreciation of the SA which yields some sort of benefit in this life or the one after. Right?

Kaern: What an offer! You are truly a Prince among men.
    Do you like it enough to buy a bottle?

No worries!
    Always read your posts and admire your taste so was at least mildly surprised that I could not relate to your suggestions.
    If you ever get a chance to smell it I would be curious to hear your thoughts.
    Thank you!!!
    I'll let you know if I see one to try. I like papyrus note. I remember reading Voyage D'Hermès has it, but I didn't find it listed.

Jovoy Private Label might be worth sampling. It has some notes in common, including papyrus.

Kaern: What an offer! You are truly a Prince among men.
    Do you like it enough to buy a bottle?
    Ahem -- yes, I know -- maybe a sprayed tester card for £10?

Was it £350 or £550, 550 may have been the Addictive Arts range? I would baulk at the latter price for one fragrance. I only got these samples because I purchased V For Men and a couple of Xerjoffs