Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guerlain Heritage smells like PS Fine Cologne

Or is it just me? I blind bought Guerlain Heritage EDT, with a bit of the hype its been getting on Youtube lately. I do enjoy it, but I was shocked when I smelled it. Immediately, I went to compare the notes, and yup.. PS Fine Cologne literally has all of the same notes as Heritage. Yet all the reviews I've read, I have yet to see this comparison made? I know there has to be more than just me who has smelled both of these. These 2 big selling, popular fragrances have never been compared??? <scratches head>
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephan Hawking

Default Re: Guerlain Heritage smells like PS Fine Cologne

6 Fragrantica members think Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne smells like Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur...no Héritage mentioned.
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 12th October 2018 at 03:58 AM.

Own both in old formulas and imo they do not smell like each other. PS Fine Cologne has that mix (imo) of a part of old Opium (for women!) and the vtg Old Spice.
    It also has a very dusty vibe and smells pretty old school (hate that word but still...). It lasts forever though.......
    Heritage is a fragrance on its own smelling mainly like a mossy patchouli-lavender-sandalwood combo on an ambery flowery (rose-geranium) base which is extremely well executed!
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Vermeil: for men/Davidoff (1984)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - Amouage: Interlude

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own the Guerlain and have tried the PS and to my nose I detect some slight similarities, but overall different.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I’d say distant cousins at most.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Never smelled a similarity all though PS Cologne is overbearing to the nose and tires quickly for me. Heritage EDT isn’t bad but also irritates my nose especially the opening so that’s a pass for me. Heritage is superior to PS Cologne imo, all noses are different interesting that a similarity is smelled.

Nope, not even close...Heritage and Roja Dove's Danger are almost identical twins though
    Last edited by Ali AD; 12th October 2018 at 09:23 AM.

I've never heard of "Paul Smith Fine Cologne, nor does it appear in the directory, but if it's anything like Heritage it has to be worth a testing.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I think the fragrance cited is Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think PS has a richer, almost fatty smell because of it's musk and vanilla/lavender tandem. Heritage has petitgrain that keeps it a bit sharper in the top (like Versace L'Homme and Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette Concentrée), then dries down a bit more powdery than PS. They're in the same "dressed to the nines" wheelhouse, but at opposite ends.
    oh look, I have a signature

Currently wearing: Bond-T by Sammarco

Interesting reading you guys' comments. I do prefer Heritage of the 2.. it does have more going on, as others state. I no longer own the PS so can't really compare the dry downs, but I do remember not liking it much. I do like Heritage's dry down, very amber heavy, semi sweet, resinous, but also very typical amber dry down.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephan Hawking

Stellar review.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Interesting reading you guys' comments. I do prefer Heritage of the 2.. it does have more going on, as others state. I no longer own the PS so can't really compare the dry downs, but I do remember not liking it much. I do like Heritage's dry down, very amber heavy, semi sweet, resinous, but also very typical amber dry down.
    I think the biggest difference is Héritage isn't heavy enough to be cloying if over-applied, while PS can be a total bomb with too many sprays. I shopped at a Wal-Mart back home that had a stocker who wore both Joop and PS interchangeably and I always knew what aisle he was in by the mushroom cloud he gave off, before I ever saw him.

master of sparks

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Own both in old formulas and imo they do not smell like each other. PS Fine Cologne has that mix (imo) of a part of old Opium (for women!) and the vtg Old Spice.
    It also has a very dusty vibe and smells pretty old school (hate that word but still...). It lasts forever though.......
    Heritage is a fragrance on its own smelling mainly like a mossy patchouli-lavender-sandalwood combo on an ambery flowery (rose-geranium) base which is extremely well executed!
    Excellent mini-reviews by Slayerized. And I concur with the dusty aspect of PSFC. It's a simple riff on a famous melody but it still comes off as what it is (simple).

Heritage is in a class by itself and easily in my top five. It has the orangey-amber that the PS lacks.

I'd say PS is closer to Bois du Portugal, if anything.

/Acey
    Last edited by AceyMan; 12th October 2018 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Words

Lot of people here really like the guerlain heritage. I have it but must say I'm not too enthralled by it. I wonder if is bc I have the new formulation edt in the new bland looking bottles w a wooden cap.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

If Paul Sebastian smelled anything like Heritage, I would be backing it up like crazy, for pennies on the dollar. It smells nothing like Heritage. It's cheap crap. Heritage is not expensive, even for the "gold cap" vintage (I prefer the silver cap because it projects better). Paul Sebastian is garbage. Not a difficult choice between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think the fragrance cited is Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne
    Ah, thanks Hednic, that would explain it.
    Think I got the Paul Smith thing from a post higher up the thread which has now been edited.
    it did sound like a real departure from the usual Paul Smith fare

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    If Paul Sebastian smelled anything like Heritage, I would be backing it up like crazy, for pennies on the dollar. It smells nothing like Heritage. It's cheap crap. Heritage is not expensive, even for the "gold cap" vintage (I prefer the silver cap because it projects better). Paul Sebastian is garbage. Not a difficult choice between the two.
    You most likely smelled the counterfeit Paul Sebastian, and there is a lot of it out there. And IT does smell like garbage, almost literally. I believe it is the sole reason for the lackluster reviews you see here on it. If you smelled the authentic, there's no way you'd call it garbage. Anyone who smells the counterfeit will immediately hate it but the true PS is one of my favorites. I bought a fake off ebay once and it was horrific.
    "Shut your mouth when you're talking to me" !

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    You most likely smelled the counterfeit Paul Sebastian, and there is a lot of it out there. And IT does smell like garbage, almost literally. I believe it is the sole reason for the lackluster reviews you see here on it. If you smelled the authentic, there's no way you'd call it garbage. Anyone who smells the counterfeit will immediately hate it but the true PS is one of my favorites. I bought a fake off ebay once and it was horrific.
    Yeah that very well could be the case that it was a fake. It's been several years since I smelled it but it was bad. A lot of reviews compare the vintage Paul Sebastian to Old Spice. I would like to sample that version.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Yeah that very well could be the case that it was a fake. It's been several years since I smelled it but it was bad. A lot of reviews compare the vintage Paul Sebastian to Old Spice. I would like to sample that version.
    I wonder why people would bother counterfeiting a fragrance now made by EA and sold for peanuts at Kroger, but I've seen counterfeit Starbucks shops so I guess anything goes.

Also, "real" Paul Sebastian is borderline oriental with richness. The vanilla, musk, patchouli, and sandalwood mix with the lavender and sage top in a way that it can clear a restaurant (or have YOU cleared from a restaurant), very easily with more than a few sprays. I don't know if the version you tried was like that. I agree Héritage is in a class by itself though, and also agree that older might be rounder, but performance on newer is better. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I disagree with your view on this. People have different opinions, so what you think is amazing, others may not like. Assuming they are just smelling knock offs is pathetic. I do admit i enjoy the opening, it's complex, and it's different, but it goes downhill pretty quickly.

I can't imagine why anyone would wanna counterfeit PSFC. Even if you did pay retail, it costs about $55 in the mall. I doubt there are many, if any counterfeits out. The last one i bought was off Amazon, I paid around $18 for it. I remember the cap being gold but the when you took the cap off, the housing came off with it, exposing a white atomizer underneath.. seemed like a common problem with the production of this, I've seen others on youtube talk about it. I don't think that makes it a fake.

After wearing Guerlain Heritage more, I still feel confident saying they are similar, maybe not as much as at first. I felt Heritage is a richer, denser version of PSFC. But really they have completely different dry downs. I still think their openings are very close, with Heritage being a bit more oriental, and PSFC being a bit more floral. Out of the thousands of frags I've sniffed, I can't quite think of any others that can compare to these 2. I think both are really special, but Heritage is hands down the better of the 2.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I can't imagine why anyone would wanna counterfeit PSFC. Even if you did pay retail, it costs about $55 in the mall. I doubt there are many, if any counterfeits out. The last one i bought was off Amazon, I paid around $18 for it. I remember the cap being gold but the when you took the cap off, the housing came off with it, exposing a white atomizer underneath.. seemed like a common problem with the production of this, I've seen others on youtube talk about it. I don't think that makes it a fake.

After wearing Guerlain Heritage more, I still feel confident saying they are similar, maybe not as much as at first. I felt Heritage is a richer, denser version of PSFC. But really they have completely different dry downs. I still think their openings are very close, with Heritage being a bit more oriental, and PSFC being a bit more floral. Out of the thousands of frags I've sniffed, I can't quite think of any others that can compare to these 2. I think both are really special, but Heritage is hands down the better of the 2.
    Insider tip: the 2.5oz PS bottles have screw-off atomizers, so depending on how much you like PS, you can get a jumbo 8oz of this and refill it. Also: I blame this thread for making me want to wear it again.

I hadn't worn PSFC in at least a few years, so I decided to try it again to see how I perceived it (I have vintage). I'd say it's closest to vintage Third Man Caron, except that it's simpler/cruder. I get the idea of it being like the EdP of Old Spice but I think it's closer to Third Man overall (the drydown).

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    Lot of people here really like the guerlain heritage. I have it but must say I'm not too enthralled by it. I wonder if is bc I have the new formulation edt in the new bland looking bottles w a wooden cap.
    That could be it. I don't care for the current version of Heritage myself. The older version is way better, but I have it and rarely wear it. One month, I'll put it in my rotation and try to bond with it a bit more.

While not impossible, I think it's highly unlikely that there is counterfeiting of this kind of "old man" scent. Also, the flooded market (I see discounters selling the 4 ounce cologne for as low as around $11 total) is likely due to too much supply and demand diminishing. Think about how many more bottles are sold each year of the really popular fragrances - there's' no reason to produce a fairly good quality bottle of PS (or else it will be an obvious fake), pay for shipping it abroad, in order to make pennies, if that.

On the other hand, EA is notorious (at least in my experience) for creating really lousy/watered down reformulations of once great fragrances. I can't imagine the latest formulation being anywhere near as strong or as natural smelling as the original formulation.

master of sparks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly
    On the other hand, EA is notorious (at least in my experience) for creating really lousy/watered down reformulations of once great fragrances. I can't imagine the latest formulation being anywhere near as strong or as natural smelling as the original formulation.
    OK, now the obligatory inquiry — how does one identify genuine, vintage PS Fine Cologne? I picked mine up retail at Ross, so I suspect mine is "genuine reformulated" EA juice, but now I want vintage ... arrghh.

/AC
    Last edited by AceyMan; 14th October 2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixed parens

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    OK, now the obligatory inquiry — how does one identify genuine, vintage PS Fine Cologne? (I picked mine up retail at Ross, so I suspect mine is "genuine reformulated" EA juice, but now I want vintage ... arrghh.

/AC
    Paul Sebastian is a portmanteau of the two local New Jersey businessmen who started it as a pet project to create their own signature fragrance. Deepest vintage is PSI Inc. (Paul Sebastian International), then FFI (Fine Fragrances Inc.) who also owned licenses for Halston. When EA bought the Fine Fragrances portfolio, they got Halston and PS from it, so I'd say you need to roll back before the early 2000's for an FFI bottle, and if you really want deep vintage, before 1986. Original PSI bottles just said "Paul Sebastian" spelled out on the bottle. The monogram logo wasn't created until FFI picked it up in 85. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    OK, now the obligatory inquiry — how does one identify genuine, vintage PS Fine Cologne? I picked mine up retail at Ross, so I suspect mine is "genuine reformulated" EA juice, but now I want vintage ... arrghh.

/AC
    I think the ones with the label on the bottom that say:

DIST.
    PAUL SEBASTIAN, INC.
    OCEAN, NJ 07712
    4 FL. OZ.

or something similar should be "vintage" formulation. There should also be a batch code stamped over some of that text. There are some of these on ebay, you just have to go through the listings and find them (so if it's worth an hour or less of your time, you should be able to get one at a reasonable price).

According to Fragrantica, FFI bought Paul Sebasstian, Inc. in 1999. Before that is likely the label text that you see above; here's evidence to that effect (it was in place in 1989):

https://www.inc.com/profile/paul-sebastian-inc

So it would appear that label text would mean pre-2000.