Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 'Dumb Reach' fragrances don't exist.

When someone's shopping for a so-called 'dumb reach', they're already
    instantly putting some thought into what smells good and what they prefer
    over others before they buy it. That's automatically the opposite of dumb.
    It's just most likely a casual-smelling fragrance instead of an extremely formal one.

not dumb, just a specific genre

Also, when someone can't decide what to wear(and in need of that
    'dumb reach'), they still have two options.
    1. Take an extra 30 seconds to decide on one and it'll no longer be 'dumb'
    2. Grab something that's at least semi-occasion appropriate, in other words,
    a specific style, not a 'dumb' one

Example: Versace Blue Jeans/ADG Essenza to class instead of
    the most powerful, expensive Clive Christian/Xerjoff in their wardrobe.
    Again, it's in no way 'dumb'.

For the most part, a dumb reach just means an affordable, crowd-pleasing option, of which
    there are plenty to choose in the fragrance world. It has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence.

It's time to drop the term.

Default Re: 'Dumb Reach' fragrances don't exist.

Dumb thread.

What an odd post.

Don't really like the term either. They're simply versatile fragrances and I'd think that the majority of mainstream fragrances are created to be just that.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

And here I thought it meant dumb as in incapable of speech. I’ve been taking the meaning too literally all this time...

of course it has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence. It’s usually a versatile and safe/crowd pleasing scent you can reach for when you don’t know what you feel like wearing or can’t be bothered thinking about too much. That doesn’t preclude all thought whatsoever or mean that the scent itself is somehow stupid. It may also have nuances of wanting a scent that doesn’t demand too much attention from oneself, allowing it to play a more functional role rather than fully reflecting on the fragrance as art. Recently Guerlain Homme has been my dumb reach. Fresh enough for the remaining heat, while still able to work in many situations and moods. I thought about this at one time so it doesn’t require in depth thought again most other times.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I think the term is just a part of the more recent vernacular e.g. Beastmode . But I do agree that when I've seen the term used the end result is usually a approachable or versatile fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Walimah by Areej le Doré

Basenotes Plus

Agree with the others about this being a dumb post.

Despite the negative connotations, I think the term does have its uses, though it probably means different things to different people and hence the confusion. To me, 'dumb reach' implies that though the wearer has many options, he or she chooses something easy and familiar rather than spending much time thinking about a specific or desired effect on his or her personality. A pleasant background smell is all that is needed. Sort of like dining on simple comfort food rather than diving into haute cuisine.

Now, I don't expect everyone will agree with that definition either. For many here, their own 'dumb reaches' are rather elaborate and/or expensive options. Aventus, Terre d'Hermes, Grey Vetiver, and many others on the most worn lists are probably 'dumb reaches' for many here.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    It's just most likely a casual-smelling fragrance instead of an extremely formal one.
    Pretty much share that thought.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think there are 'dumb' fragrances

Sometimes, a mainstream (as correctly observed above) and relatively uncomplicated fragrance can at the very least be the closest possible to a "dumb grab" and also a one size fits all solutions, needing little or even no further considering or second thoughts, not even extremely brief, high speed, minimal ones before applying

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    To me, 'dumb reach' implies that though the wearer has many options, he or she chooses something easy and familiar rather than spending much time thinking about a specific or desired effect on his or her personality. A pleasant background smell is all that is needed. Sort of like dining on simple comfort food rather than diving into haute cuisine.
    This is my definition of a 'dumb reach' too. Something nice an easy when one isn't in the mood to overthink it.

Put it this way, if you had five columns positioned to assist keep the structure of a building safe and you decided to stock cherries on the top floor. Would it be absolutely necessary to ensure that the windows were always closed if a family of Robins nested in a nearby tree?

Or say for example you found yourself trapped underneath a large rock, would speaking ant be of any benefit?

I think the answer lies somewhere between eleven and the letter G, HOWEVER it would all depend on whether they were genuine tears or so called Crocodile tears. Additionally one would need to consider whether the Crocodile was actually shedding tears or whether it was just some water that had splashed up from a passing Hippopotamus.

In summary, you waste my time....I return the favour
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. Code Ice / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Erba Pura
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Oajan

I hadn't thought extensively about this expression, but when I've seen it used, I've tended to think it seemed imprecise and inelegant. So, I basically agree with you.

Perhaps easy reach would be better.
    "...the most expensive fragrances are those you hardly use."
    Diamondflame
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

It's an expression. I use the term dumb reach/dumb grab - and I just ordered one yesterday! Cedrat Boise.

Basically it's one I don't have to put much thought into, something that's mass pleasing for the office and not as 'heavy' as a lot of my stuff. Versace Pour Homme is an excellent example of it.

As said above, yeah, a casual fragrance. I sometimes legit just sit there crouched at my cabinet trying to figure out what the heck to wear for the day, and it takes up time in the morning - even when I'm trying to hurry up and go.

Edit: Food for thought, even if you think there is no 'dumb reach' frags... whenever you hear the term, you know exactly what they're talking about.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    Put it this way, if you had five columns positioned to assist keep the structure of a building safe and you decided to stock cherries on the top floor. Would it be absolutely necessary to ensure that the windows were always closed if a family of Robins nested in a nearby tree?
    I accept that these are a selection of words written as a sentence, but that's it really

Thanks for making me laugh

Beware of the thought police as liberty is never taken all at once but just a bit at a time.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. D.R. Harris Sandalwood (Aftershave)
    2. G F Trumper Eucris Edp
    3. YSL Pour Homme
    4. Armani Eau Pour Homme
    5. Monsieur De Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    Put it this way, you waste my time....I return the favour
    You sir, are awesome! Thanks for making my day! Cheers!
    Currently wearing: 07 Tanoke by Odin New York

I've never heard this term being used until today.
    Last edited by morrison74; 12th October 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think there are 'dumb' fragrances
    And dumb people who wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Beware of the thought police as liberty is never taken all at once but just a bit at a time.
    How does that relate to this?
    "...the most expensive fragrances are those you hardly use."
    Diamondflame
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Dumb Reach is just a term, not just for fragrances but for a lot of other applications in life. I've had more than a few occasions in the last couple of months of having to resort to a dumb reach. Most of the time, that's been Mugler Cologne. Yes, it's a versatile fragrance, but dumb reach still captures it and the circumstance of the situation much more accurately.

I call them hesitation extinguishers.

I think it's an incredibly useful phrase. Its utility is self-evident in the fact that all of us (well, minus OP perhaps) knew what it referred to without any kind of explicit explanatory thread like this one, so there was obviously a prior felt need in this community for a short, portable phrase to describe what we wear when we don't even want to think about what we're going to wear. That's the hallmark of great language - it helps us make distinctions we could not have otherwise made!

I believe we should all agree to let this thread die on the vine...

Pretty sure the horse is dead...
    Currently wearing: 07 Tanoke by Odin New York

Very appreciate the insightful analysis and thinking OP has put here, let the term die itself, meantime will you consider doing a scent lingo podcast on a regular basis just like David Mitchell did? I will subscribe.
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    50% of the posts in this thread made me laugh.

BTW, I've never heard this term being used until today.
    I’ve seen it used online over the years, think I’ve used the term once ha. I prefer versatile as a term for a great fragrance that is easily accepted and works in any situation some of today’s lingo is wow!

The term dumb reach has nothing to do with the expense or the time initially spent shopping or finding the fragrance.

A dumb-reach frag is simply a relatively safe and very versatile fragrance that can be used in most instances. Little thought would be needed in reaching for said fragrance, especially in a rush.
    A few dumb reaches would be Mugler Cologne, MB Individuel, Bleu de Chanel.

Saying dumb-reach is an inaccurate term that we should drop is as inaccurate as the term ‘drop’ in this instance.

Sigh — Oh how I miss the good ol’ days..........

Dumb reach
    Dumb reach
    Dumb reach

Well fuck it, if it works for Beetlejuice

Quote Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
    Dumb thread.
    lmao this. As I was reading it I was thinking "What in the fu*k am I reading?"
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Roja Dove

Dumb reach = versatile fragrance
    Do you hate words like moist too?