Code of Conduct
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Blind Sample Pass

I'm considering organizing a blind sample pass if there's interest. If you've never participated in a sample pass, this is the perfect time to start. If you're experienced at sample passes, you'll know they can be good fun. I imagine sending out several groups of samples to make it go faster and to read notes from people sampling at roughly the same time.

Let me know if you might be interested by posting below or sending me a private message.

The samples would just be labeled with a number, and the names of the fragrances would be revealed later.

Always be smelling

Default Re: Blind Sample Pass

I am in.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Is the idea for 1 person (you) to contribute all the samples? or would/could/should people in the chain add more in an organized manner?
    Anyway I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Heawns View Post
    Is the idea for 1 person (you) to contribute all the samples? or would/could/should people in the chain add more in an organized manner?
    Anyway I'm interested.
    The idea is that I would contribute the samples.

It’s great to see interest from a couple venerable Basenoters.

Hi Bavard-

I would like to participate.

Our perceptions of a perfume are so influenced by factors other than the smell (price, name, color, packaging, marketing, etc., etc.,) that I think blind sampling can be very illuminating...and fun, too.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Fantastic, Grayspoole.

I've very interested, and would like to participate, but i'm noob and located in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by GioB89 View Post
    I've very interested, and would like to participate, but i'm noob and located in Russia
    Brilliant, Gio. We'll be counting on you to write a lot about your impressions of each fragrance. How much you liked it, what it reminded you of, how you felt about the first 20 minutes compared to a couple hours later, how long it ultimately lasted, whether it's something you would consider purchasing for your rotation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Brilliant, Gio. We'll be counting on you to write a lot about your impressions of each fragrance. How much you liked it, what it reminded you of, how you felt about the first 20 minutes compared to a couple hours later, how long it ultimately lasted, whether it's something you would consider purchasing for your rotation, etc.
    i'm thrilled

Let's see if we get one or two more people interested today, and then I'll start decanting.

I'd love to participate, and this is an absolutely fantastic idea for a pass!

I've always been curious about the concept of blind sniffing, and am excited to see how our "virgin" perceptions align with the reputations and listed notes of the scents upon reveal.

This kind of pass structure is probably the most realistic way to make this possible with a wide variety of scents. It's just too bad you (Bavard) can't be a blind sniffer. Maybe there can be a round 2 pass where you can be a participant!
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Most excellent, LiveJazz. If we get one more taker, I can make 6 sets of 10 samples (I have about 60 sample vials on hand). If there's a sudden rush of interest this evening, it could be 10 sets of 6 samples, but that would make it a tougher decision to narrow down the list of samples I have in mind.

Hi Bavard! I would love to participate! This one should be doable for me, since we don't have to pass them and I won't have to deal with days when I can't get out of the house and to the post office and such. This sounds like a really cool idea and I hope you can count me in.

;
    Sale Thread! (ELdO, SHL777, Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood)

Swap Thread! (Same as Above)

Lovely, Diamond Sea. Thank you for joining. I'm looking forward to your smelling notes!

We'll go up to 10 participants or until 10 pm (3.5 hours from now).

I'd love to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

David David, great to have you. Always a pleasure.

Basenotes Member

I would like to participate if it is not too late. I consider myself still very green, but I do have a lot of decants/samples I am rotating. I'd be glad to report my thoughts...if it's not too late.

Crusader, you're in. It's great to have you. We're counting on you to leave detailed smelling notes!

And we're joined by the venerable IsoESuperman who got in touch by private message.

I may re-title this as a preliminary thread and start a new one for the sampling.

The participants are:

1. Epapsiou;
    2. Heawns;
    3. Grayspoole;
    4. GioB89;
    5. LiveJazz;
    6. The Diamond Sea;
    7. Juxtapozbliss;
    8. Crusader; and
    9. IsoESuperHuman.

I'll do 9 sets of 7 samples.

Private message me your addresses.

Nine participants is a good number based on the number of sample vials I have.

Lovely, Diamond Sea. Thank you for joining. I'm looking forward to your smelling notes!

We'll go up to 10 participants or until 10 pm (3.5 hours from now).
    Thank you for having me!! I haven't done one of these in ages, and you guys are all my favorite pass participants. I can't wait for this one!
    Sale Thread! (ELdO, SHL777, Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood)

Swap Thread! (Same as Above)

Basenotes Member

Wow! Really?
    I am honored to be IN. Thanks for the consideration. I've never been a part of one of these, so I'm not sure exactly the what review is expected to be. Maybe that's what you are looking for...
    THANKS for the inclusion!

Send me your address if you haven't already.

I dropped off the packages for Sweden and Russia this morning. They needed the head start.

The rest of us are in the United States, so I'll give it several days before I ship. Based on my experience, Swedish shipping times are ok, maybe a week or so, but Russian shipping times can be more like three weeks. I'll check tracking after a few days to see how things look.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Wow! Really?
    I am honored to be IN. Thanks for the consideration. I've never been a part of one of these, so I'm not sure exactly the what review is expected to be. Maybe that's what you are looking for...
    THANKS for the inclusion!
    I'm always hoping new people will get involved in sample passing, so the honor is very much ours. Likewise for having Gio in the pass.

The main thing that makes a good review, I think, is honesty; a lack of pretense. Feel free to speak freely. Is it something you never want to wear again, or do you want a lifetime supply? That sort of thing. What does it remind you of? Do you imagine wearing it while being dressed up or dressed casual? Does it strike you as masculine, feminine, or unisex? Does it smell mass market or niche? Current or retro? The main thing is to share honest impressions, whatever they are.

I'm always hoping new people will get involved in sample passing, so the honor is very much ours. Likewise for having Gio in the pass.

The main thing that makes a good review, I think, is honesty; a lack of pretense. Feel free to speak freely. Is it something you never want to wear again, or do you want a lifetime supply? That sort of thing. What does it remind you of? Do you imagine wearing it while being dressed up or dressed casual? Does it strike you as masculine, feminine, or unisex? Does it smell mass market or niche? Current or retro? The main thing is to share honest impressions, whatever they are.
    Great guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Great guidance.
    I agree! Thanks for organizing the pass, Bavard, and for including me in the list of intrepid blind sniffers. I'll send you a PM with my address.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Great guide, can't wait to play this game