Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I love a nice sandalwood note. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy Tam Dao EDP?

It might be just me, but the sandlewood in Tam Dao is just not that enjoyable. If I were looking for sandlewood I would be headed over to Rising Phoenix Perfumery for some quality sandlewood.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RisingPhoenixPerfume

Default Re: I love a nice sandalwood note. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy Tam Dao EDP?

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    It might be just me, but the sandlewood in Tam Dao is just not that enjoyable. If I were looking for sandlewood I would be headed over to Rising Phoenix Perfumery for some quality sandlewood.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RisingPhoenixPerfume
    Thanks for the link. Checking it out.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/536271151/2016-resinous-mysore-sandalwood-oil?ref=shop_home_active_5

This one sounds very nice. And reasonably priced for Mysore. Any idea how many wearings you could get from 1g of oil?

The sandalwood scent that I really like: Santal by Floris

'Santal' (2002) by @FlorisLondon (01bc0).jpg
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I enjoyed Eau de Santal by Floris. Santal by Floris also sounds very nice. Added to my test list. Thanks.

Anyone tried Santal by Melvita?

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I enjoyed Eau de Santal by Floris. Santal by Floris also sounds very nice.
    I understand they are the same: Eau de Santal is now called Santal.

https://www.florislondon.com/

Thanks for the link. Checking it out.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/536271151/2016-resinous-mysore-sandalwood-oil?ref=shop_home_active_5

This one sounds very nice. And reasonably priced for Mysore. Any idea how many wearings you could get from 1g of oil?
    I'm not sure how many wearings, but the trick is to apply with a toothpick and use as little as possible until you get the desired effect. PM mikeperez23 here on Basenotes. he has tried and owns many of the Rising Phoenix Sandlewoods. He likes and knows alot about sandlewoods, and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to trust his nose.
    mikeperez23 - if you see this post, please chime in with your input.

After you experience Mysore sandlewood, the Austrailian's just don't satisfy IMHO.

'Santal' (2002) by @FlorisLondon (01bc0).jpg
    REALLY! This weak diluted watered down sandlewood?

I understand they are the same: Eau de Santal is now called Santal.

https://www.florislondon.com/
    Oh! I didn't realise that. I noticed different notes (comparing Eau de Santal in the BN directory and Santal on the Floris site, since BN doesn't have any notes listed for Santal) and just presumed they were different. BN lists Eau de Santal as being released in 2002 and Santal in 2003, which I thought was a bit weird.

I'm not sure how many wearings, but the trick is to apply with a toothpick and use as little as possible until you get the desired effect. PM mikeperez23 here on Basenotes. he has tried and owns many of the Rising Phoenix Sandlewoods. He likes and knows alot about sandlewoods, and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to trust his nose.
    mikeperez23 - if you see this post, please chime in with your input.

After you experience Mysore sandlewood, the Austrailian's just don't satisfy IMHO.
    Thanks for for the info. I'm definitely going to order some Mysore oil from here. I got into a taxi last year that had an amazing sandalwood smell. I asked the driver what it was and he said it was "pure sandalwood oil, very expensive". He even let me try a little on my skin. It was amazing and smelled really great. But it only lasted a couple of hours before it was gone. He said he got it from a scuba diving buddy who makes it himself.

REALLY! This weak diluted watered down sandlewood?
    I'd rather call it 'a sophisticated Envy' !

Tam Dao EDP is well worth your sampling. I think it's a much better example of sandalwood than the EDT, which smells to me much more cedar-prominent.

Another one that I can recommend for its sandalwood is Ormonde Jayne Black Gold. Unfortunately, it's priced comparably to gold.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Tam Dao EDP is well worth your sampling. I think it's a much better example of sandalwood than the EDT, which smells to me much more cedar-prominent.

Another one that I can recommend for its sandalwood is Ormonde Jayne Black Gold. Unfortunately, it's priced comparably to gold.
    I think I'll definitely get a sample or decant of Tam Dao EDP. Black Gold sounds interesting. Not too feminine to you? The prices I see online for samples of it are crazy!

Tam Dao is okay. Then again, there are MANY "okay" fragrances of every genre.

If one really "loves" sandalwood, you need to sample the likes of Santal Noble or the spicier Santalum by Profumum.

I agree Tam Dao is a nice scent, but IMO releases like Trumper's Sandalwood are heads and shoulders better.
    Currently wearing: Bond-T by Sammarco

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Tam Dao is okay. Then again, there are MANY "okay" fragrances of every genre.

If one really "loves" sandalwood, you need to sample the likes of Santal Noble or the spicier Santalum by Profumum.

I agree Tam Dao is a nice scent, but IMO releases like Trumper's Sandalwood are heads and shoulders better.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I sampled Santal Noble about 8 years ago and really liked it. Not sure what the current formula is like though. Santalum and Trumper's Sandalwood are both on my test list. They sound great.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I think I'll definitely get a sample or decant of Tam Dao EDP. Black Gold sounds interesting. Not too feminine to you? The prices I see online for samples of it are crazy!
    Yes, get a sample first.

I haven't sampled it in quite awhile, But I remember it to have been very distinctive and probably more heavy on the cedar.

You might well love it, but I don't recall it smelled like any other sandalwood scents I have tried.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yes, get a sample first.

I haven't sampled it in quite awhile, But I remember it to have been very distinctive and probably more heavy on the cedar.

You might well love it, but I don't recall it smelled like any other sandalwood scents I have tried.
    Thanks. Is this the 2012 EDP you are talking about (as opposed to the cedar-heavy 2003 EDT)?

Let me inject...I own Tam Dao EdT and bought it after sampling the EdP, as well. I also own Floris Santal.

Let's talk about Tam Dao first. Which one you like better will depend on your taste. They both are sandalwood scents, but they use different kinds of sandalwood. So that accounts for a difference. The EdT opens with heavy black pepper and cedar, where the EdP does not. It stays far more in the pure Sandalwood lane. On the drydown, the EdT dries down to a multi wood fragrance that evokes Sandal-, Ebony-, Cedar and other tropical woods. Some perceive this as harsh and austere. The EdP dries down completely differently...it adds a prominent sweet vanilla note to the pure sandalwood. To me....that makes the EdP more of a feminine scent. As far as sillage goes, these are both medium. In longevity, I believe the EdT to be strong. I can make 5 sprays at 8am and still smell it at 6pm. The EdP is even more insane. Lasts all day and overnight no problem.

That said, I chose the EdT because I wear manly scents and suits and sweeter notes do not work well with mg personality.

As Santal from Floris goes...it is not a sandalwood scent at all. It is a Fougere that mildly evokes a sense of subtle sandalwood. In my experience, even that is probably exaggerated. It is a lavender heavy fragrance with a citrus opening and a very nice smooth spicy wood base note. It is not even close to being a true Sandalwood fragrance although I do love if anyway.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
    Let me inject...I own Tam Dao EdT and bought it after sampling the EdP, as well. I also own Floris Santal.

Let's talk about Tam Dao first. Which one you like better will depend on your taste. They both are sandalwood scents, but they use different kinds of sandalwood. So that accounts for a difference. The EdT opens with heavy black pepper and cedar, where the EdP does not. It stays far more in the pure Sandalwood lane. On the drydown, the EdT dries down to a multi wood fragrance that evokes Sandal-, Ebony-, Cedar and other tropical woods. Some perceive this as harsh and austere. The EdP dries down completely differently...it adds a prominent sweet vanilla note to the pure sandalwood. To me....that makes the EdP more of a feminine scent. As far as sillage goes, these are both medium. In longevity, I believe the EdT to be strong. I can make 5 sprays at 8am and still smell it at 6pm. The EdP is even more insane. Lasts all day and overnight no problem.

That said, I chose the EdT because I wear manly scents and suits and sweeter notes do not work well with mg personality.

As Santal from Floris goes...it is not a sandalwood scent at all. It is a Fougere that mildly evokes a sense of subtle sandalwood. In my experience, even that is probably exaggerated. It is a lavender heavy fragrance with a citrus opening and a very nice smooth spicy wood base note. It is not even close to being a true Sandalwood fragrance although I do love if anyway.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    You made your first ever post for me! I'm genuinely touched.

Thank you for the detailed (and helpful) impressions of Tam Dao EDT v EDP, as well as Floris Santal. I have tried the EDT (a small decant, about 7 years ago). I liked it but didn't love it. It didn't feel like a sandalwood scent to me.The EDP sounds much better though, even with the addition of vanilla to the base. Glad to hear it has good longevity, too. I'm definitely going to find a sample of this.

You made your first ever post for me! I'm genuinely touched.

Thank you for the detailed (and helpful) impressions of Tam Dao EDT v EDP, as well as Floris Santal. I have tried the EDT (a small decant, about 7 years ago). I liked it but didn't love it. It didn't feel like a sandalwood scent to me.The EDP sounds much better though, even with the addition of vanilla to the base. Glad to hear it has good longevity, too. I'm definitely going to find a sample of this.
    My pleasure. I am still somewhat new to the frag game (a couple of years in) so I am trying not to comment on things I don't have a great grip on. This particular issue hit close to home though because I went through the same process earlier this year.

One last tip...if you go to a Nordstrom's near you, they have Tam Dao EdP and EdT to sample. I first went in and sprayed it on a sample strip. Went back a week later and sprayed some on my hands (EdP on one, EdT on other). Once I was pretty sure the EdT was it, I asked them to decant me a small sample (which they did without a fuss for free). I went home and used it the next day like I normally would and loved it. Went back the next weekend and bought the full bottle from the friendly NS employee that had helped me. Win win for everyone.

Sounds like you are pretty sure the EdP is your route, so you can shorten this process down to 2 visits...picking up a sample and buying if you like it based on regular use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
    My pleasure. I am still somewhat new to the frag game (a couple of years in) so I am trying not to comment on things I don't have a great grip on. This particular issue hit close to home though because I went through the same process earlier this year.

One last tip...if you go to a Nordstrom's near you, they have Tam Dao EdP and EdT to sample. I first went in and sprayed it on a sample strip. Went back a week later and sprayed some on my hands (EdP on one, EdT on other). Once I was pretty sure the EdT was it, I asked them to decant me a small sample (which they did without a fuss for free). I went home and used it the next day like I normally would and loved it. Went back the next weekend and bought the full bottle from the friendly NS employee that had helped me. Win win for everyone.

Sounds like you are pretty sure the EdP is your route, so you can shorten this process down to 2 visits...picking up a sample and buying if you like it based on regular use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I see the EDT is your SoTD today! Unfortunately, we don't have Nordstrom in the UK, but obviously we have similar stores. I need to check which ones carry Tam Dao EDT / EDP though. Hopefully, I will get a chance to sample the EDP that way. If not, I will probably just buy a sample online. Glad to hear about your experiences with the Nordstrom employee/store. It should always be like that.

Diptyque Tam Dao EDP. It gets very good reviews in the BN review section. In fact, it's 100% positive so far (13/13).

I own and love Chanel Egoiste & Egoiste Concentree (my holy grails). I also own and love By Kilian Sacred Wood. .
    When I was looking for my sandalwood scent, I evaluated many fragrances. Killian Sacred Wood and Tam Dao EDP were my two finalists. IMO, Sacred Wood was a bit more medicinal, but not in a bad way. I chose Tam Dao EDP, which is a bit 'creamier' smelling. Both are fantastic sandalwood variations. As a result of testing I found Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme, which has sandalwood in the mix prominently, but that rum note is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I think Straight to Heaven Extreme is one of the best scents that contain rum, ever. The sandalwood portion is essential for that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    When I was looking for my sandalwood scent, I evaluated many fragrances. Killian Sacred Wood and Tam Dao EDP were my two finalists. IMO, Sacred Wood was a bit more medicinal, but not in a bad way. I chose Tam Dao EDP, which is a bit 'creamier' smelling. Both are fantastic sandalwood variations. As a result of testing I found Kilian Straight to Heaven Extreme, which has sandalwood in the mix prominently, but that rum note is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I think Straight to Heaven Extreme is one of the best scents that contain rum, ever. The sandalwood portion is essential for that mix.
    Thanks for your thoughts.This makes me feel more confident about liking Tam Dao EDP. I really like Straight to Heaven but I think most would agree that it suffered from pretty poor longevity. I was very excited to hear about the Extreme version when it was announced, but I haven't been able to get my nose on it yet. It's on my test list.
    Last edited by morrison74; Yesterday at 03:07 AM.

If not now, when?

I love Tam Dao EdP and recommend it. It is not like the EdT. It has a creamy sort of tropical vibe to it that I think compliments the sandalwood note.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I prefer the EdT as the EdP has more amber in the base so has a richer feel but not necessarily more sandalwood.If you buy direct from Diptyque they send a free sample so you can try it first and have the option to return the unopened bottle.

I like the EdP a lot - nearly finished my bottle. Really don't like the EdT, though, screechy woods, nothing to do with sandalwood.

IUNX L'Arbre is a terrific Mysore sandalwood if you get the chance to try it! It has a touch of immortelle in the open that soon disappears (mercifully) then it's pure sandalwood.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love Tam Dao EdP and recommend it. It is not like the EdT. It has a creamy sort of tropical vibe to it that I think compliments the sandalwood note.
    Your description sounds very nice! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I prefer the EdT as the EdP has more amber in the base so has a richer feel but not necessarily more sandalwood.If you buy direct from Diptyque they send a free sample so you can try it first and have the option to return the unopened bottle.
    Thanks for thel info about Diptyque's policy- I had no idea. A smart way to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I like the EdP a lot - nearly finished my bottle. Really don't like the EdT, though, screechy woods, nothing to do with sandalwood.

IUNX L'Arbre is a terrific Mysore sandalwood if you get the chance to try it! It has a touch of immortelle in the open that soon disappears (mercifully) then it's pure sandalwood.
    IUNX L'Arbre sounds wonderful. I went through a decant of L'Ether a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Shame INUX's distribution channel is so limited.