Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 109
  1. #1

    Default Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    The MSRP for Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris pour homme 70ml is $195 according to full price retail sites like Luckyscent, etc.

    Fragrancenet lists the MSRP as $240.

    I emailed Fragrancenet about this error, and instead of correcting the MSRP from $240 back down to $195, Fragrancenet raised the MSRP to $245.

    What a waste of time emailing them.

    Why not claim the MSRP is $1000 while you're at it?

    This is shady business, especially after I pointed it out to them.

    Is it really 37% off when they artificially inflate the MSRP more than 25% ?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    252,722

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    That's pretty shady I agree, but you still save some $20 off the MSRP of $195 on it with the 37% off.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That's pretty shady I agree, but you still save some $20 off the MSRP of $195 on it with the 37% off.
    I agree it's still a good deal. They should just be honest and transparent about the actual savings.

    I would have never emailed Fragrancenet in the first place had I known their response would be to raise the MSRP even higher.
    I was expecting a discount/correction, not an increase to their already artificially inflated MSRP.

    I've never heard of, or seen, a company do such a thing in response to a friendly email from a decades-long loyal customer.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus

    ILikePeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    T̛e̢x͡as͜
    Posts
    5,052

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    I don't understand why people get hung up on the MSRP on discount sites - it doesn't matter, like.. at all. Just look at the final price that you actually pay.

    It might just be guestimates that are put in, or averages, or what the coupon code uses to generate the real sale price. Doesn't really matter. Just look at the actual selling price.

    Also, don't bother buying a bunch of MFK from discount sites OR retail (USA) - just go to their official website which is cheaper on most or maybe everything compared to US retail.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  5. #5

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I don't understand why people get hung up on the MSRP on discount sites - it doesn't matter, like.. at all. Just look at the final price that you actually pay.

    It might just be guestimates that are put in, or averages, or what the coupon code uses to generate the real sale price. Doesn't really matter. Just look at the actual selling price.

    Also, don't bother buying a bunch of MFK from discount sites OR retail (USA) - just go to their official website which is cheaper on most or maybe everything compared to US retail.

    Call me old fashioned, but where I come from truth and honesty are important principles. Be it in business, advertising, or every day relationships. There are reasons actual laws exist regarding this very topic (such as truth in advertising).

    MSRP is not a guestimate!

    The fact that someone from Fragrancenet actually took the time to go in and artificially RAISE the MSRP even more, rather than correcting it like a NORMAL ethical company speaks volumes about their shadyness.

    I never understood how some people simply don't give a hoot as long as the price is right. The way Fragrancenet reacted to the situation was poorly handled.

  6. #6
    Ivory88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Man, you would've had a field day with Notino!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: B*Men by Thierry Mugler

  7. #7
    Let's Dance
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,052

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Man, you would've had a field day with Notino!
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

  8. #8
    Let's Dance
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,052

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but where I come from truth and honesty are important principles. Be it in business, advertising, or every day relationships. There are reasons actual laws exist regarding this very topic (such as truth in advertising).

    MSRP is not a guestimate!

    The fact that someone from Fragrancenet actually took the time to go in and artificially RAISE the MSRP even more, rather than correcting it like a NORMAL ethical company speaks volumes about their shadyness.

    I never understood how some people simply don't give a hoot as long as the price is right. The way Fragrancenet reacted to the situation was poorly handled.

    I was thinking of writing something along the lines of "you have too much time on your hands" a couple of days back, maybe snarky but largely jokingly, but probably I'm glad I didn't. Seriously speaking, I hear you. I wish there were more like you, and I even wish I could be more like you - and I mean it, not joking. Unfortunately such are the times. I don't know, but truth and honesty are probably seen as weaknesses these days in society.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

  9. #9

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    It is naive to think that a discount site like Fragrancenet is going to always be completely honest about an MSRP when it's obvious they're not and that they would fix the price to the actual MSRP when their "error" is pointed out.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

  10. #10

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    First world problems.

    I get the complaint but cmon, they consistently have the cheapest prices for everything they have available. I'd rather they continue this "shady practice" of incorrect MSRP and coupon gimmicks than have them raise prices or shutdown like Notino.

    In protest, you can support luckyscent and get your Aventus for $435.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I'm on the interwebs. And you are too? What a coinkydink!
    Posts
    13,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    MSRP is not a guestimate!
    Do you know what the S in MSRP stands for? I'm guessing you might not.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Royal Oud
    1725 Casanova
    Noir De Noir
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

  12. #12

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Do you know what the S in MSRP stands for? I'm guessing you might not.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    The fact that someone from Fragrancenet actually took the time to go in and artificially RAISE the MSRP even more, rather than correcting it like a NORMAL ethical company speaks volumes about their shadyness.
    Nobody went in and raised the price. It's all done by computers, and the pricing is based on algorithms, the prices that they paid to procure the product, and current sales volume of that particular item. None of it is manually controlled by a person, and odds are that your email wasn't even read.

    All that being said ... if you're this concerned about ethical business practices, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing on the grey market to begin with.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Funny how neither of you know what the 'M' stands for then.

    I agree with rich, but my only question (to him) is that fragrancenet terms it as 'Our price' for MFK, no? Not an inconsequential detail perhaps. In other places as 'Retail price'. I wonder how many variants they use.
    arma uirumque cano...

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,814

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Do you know what the S in MSRP stands for? I'm guessing you might not.
    Manufacurer's SUGGESTED retail price in case anyone does not know, which by its definition is more than vague. It can usually be found on the manufacturer's sites. I suppose this would be a case of OSBRP- Online seller's bogus retail price.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    my only question (to him) is that fragrancenet terms it as 'Our price' for MFK, no?
    Correct. As mentioned, the MSRP is only a suggestion. Frangrancent's base price is listed as "Our Price," which they're entitled to set wherever they wish.

    Capture.JPG

  16. #16

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    I've found that a ton of the "our price" does not equal MSRP. I'd just move forward assuming that. I just shop around for things I want and don't take their word for it. I'd also not hesitate to buy from them if they were cheaper than somewhere else. To be honest my biggest problem with them is their crazy shipping times.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    All that being said ... if you're this concerned about ethical business practices, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing on the grey market to begin with.
    Well said.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This.


    Nobody went in and raised the price. It's all done by computers, and the pricing is based on algorithms, the prices that they paid to procure the product, and current sales volume of that particular item. None of it is manually controlled by a person, and odds are that your email wasn't even read.

    All that being said ... if you're this concerned about ethical business practices, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing on the grey market to begin with.

    Fragrancenet is a legit company just as much as MACY's or Luckyscent. They have to abide by the law and pay their fair share of taxes every year. Just because they are "grey market" does not make them like drug dealers selling on the corner.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    It is naive to think that a discount site like Fragrancenet is going to always be completely honest about an MSRP when it's obvious they're not and that they would fix the price to the actual MSRP when their "error" is pointed out.
    Why does that make me naive? Would I be just as "naive" to expect MACY's or Luckyscent to correct the MSRP to what it is?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post

    I've never heard of, or seen, a company do such a thing in response to a friendly email from a decades-long loyal customer.
    This made me smirk as it is a bit naive. The vast majority of companies care more about their bottom dollar than they do their customers. An edge is an edge.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Roja Dove

  21. #21

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Funny how neither of you know what the 'M' stands for then.

    I agree with rich, but my only question (to him) is that fragrancenet terms it as 'Our price' for MFK, no? Not an inconsequential detail perhaps. In other places as 'Retail price'. I wonder how many variants they use.

    Thank you. A company can set their price to whatever they wish just like Seller's on eBay, just don't lie about what the MANUFACTURER sets as the retail price (MSRP).

    37% off of retail price (MSRP) is different than 37% off of whatever artificially inflated MSRP ($1000 or whatever fake MSRP0 Fragrancenet displays.

    It's not truly 37% off MSRP. It's 37% off THEIR price..but not MSRP..

    Huge difference.

    As mentioned, if they already have the lowest price then why lie about the MSRP?

    MSRP is not a suggestion. It's a set price designated by the MANUFACTURER.

    Anyone can sell an item for whatever they wish, just don't like about the MSRP.

    That's just shady.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    This made me smirk as it is a bit naive. The vast majority of companies care more about their bottom dollar than they do their customers. An edge is an edge.
    Here we go with the "naive" again.

    I've contacted several companies in my lifetime regarding prices, and all legit companies are quick to fix and correct any pricing errors or discrepancies..

  23. #23

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I was thinking of writing something along the lines of "you have too much time on your hands" a couple of days back, maybe snarky but largely jokingly, but probably I'm glad I didn't. Seriously speaking, I hear you. I wish there were more like you, and I even wish I could be more like you - and I mean it, not joking. Unfortunately such are the times. I don't know, but truth and honesty are probably seen as weaknesses these days in society.
    Haha. Thanks. And I probably would have responded with some nonsense like a person with 17,000 posts has too much time on their hands, but I'm glad I didn't

    It's great to keep things civil.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Do you know what the S in MSRP stands for? I'm guessing you might not.
    Do you know what the "M" in MSRP stands for? I'm guessing you might not.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Correct. As mentioned, the MSRP is only a suggestion. Frangrancent's base price is listed as "Our Price," which they're entitled to set wherever they wish.

    Capture.JPG
    As you can see in this link, Fragrancenet list the MSRP retail price FIRST which is followed afterwards by "their price".

    https://www.fragrancenet.com/fragran...tia/edt#299125

  26. #26

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    It seems most grey market importers do these sorts of shenanigans. They've been doing it forever, and it won't stop any time soon. The only thing they are obligated to perform is to ship a legitimate product upon purchase, and that isn't even guaranteed sometimes (Fragrancenet sometimes has bizarre stock outs).

    I don't like using them, but unfortunately there aren't any competing alternatives with Notino being gone.

    One way to fight back: don't use their service. Or, if one must, take full advantage of any and all promotions/discounts to minimize what they earn.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Well said.
    Wrong.

    It's not MSRP if Fragranenet artificially manipulates and inflates the MSRP to a higher number.

    If the MANUFACTURER says their MSRP IS $195 then obviously it is wholly unethical and incorrect to claim the MSRP is $245.

    The MANUFACTURER never set their MSRP at $245. Fragrancenet did!
    The Manufacturer set its MSRP set to $195.

    It doesn' take a brain surgeon to understand MSRP
    As mentioned earlier, any Seller can lis and sell any product for whatever price they want.
    There is no reason to lie about what the MSRP is , especially when you typically already have the lowest
    "our final price".

    Who is naive?

  28. #28

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    It seems most grey market importers do these sorts of shenanigans. They've been doing it forever, and it won't stop any time soon. The only thing they are obligated to perform is to ship a legitimate product upon purchase, and that isn't even guaranteed sometimes (Fragrancenet sometimes has bizarre stock outs).

    I don't like using them, but unfortunately there aren't any competing alternatives with Notino being gone.

    One way to fight back: don't use their service. Or, if one must, take full advantage of any and all promotions/discounts to minimize what they earn.
    This.

    Well said.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I've found that a ton of the "our price" does not equal MSRP. I'd just move forward assuming that. I just shop around for things I want and don't take their word for it. I'd also not hesitate to buy from them if they were cheaper than somewhere else. To be honest my biggest problem with them is their crazy shipping times.
    It has taken up to 12 days to receive items from Fragrancenet.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - AMYRIS pour homme - what's the deal with Fragrancenet MSRP?

    Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    Fragrancenet is a legit company just as much as MACY's or Luckyscent. They have to abide by the law and pay their fair share of taxes every year. Just because they are "grey market" does not make them like drug dealers selling on the corner.
    They may be a legit company, but they are NOT an authorized retailer for the brands that they carry. This makes them quite different from Macy's or Luckyscent.

Similar Threads

  1. Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Amyris Homme (2012)
    By Flatbush Ave in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st September 2014, 06:00 PM
  2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme - I just tried it!
    By lucasai in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 6th April 2014, 07:02 PM
  3. I tried Maison Francis Kurkdjian newest Amyris Homme
    By lucasai in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th September 2012, 04:04 AM
  4. New Maison Francis Kurdijan pair announced - Amyris homme and Amyris femme
    By NevilleM in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st September 2012, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000