Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: How long did it take you to come to a comfortable collection realizing others are a bonus?

It's taken me 22 years to get comfortable. Taking into account all those years wasted pouring on Curve thinking I was masking cigarette smoke.....�� yea. Shame. Shame. Shame. But, I have my forevers now and any thing else I come across now is a bonus.

Default Re: How long did it take you to come to a comfortable collection realizing others are a bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I spent a few years blind buying, adding and removing and later readding fragrances to my collection. Itís exhausting and stressful at times, I was always out for the next BIG thing. Once you understand fragrances better and have explored some you build a idea of what you like and which works best for you. Itís funny how most of your mainstays were in front of your face the whole time but distraction led you to believe otherwise. Iím always open to anything new and will continue adding but feel I have built a comfortable collection to wear within the past 6 months.
    About 9 years. I'm finally satisfied and comfortable with my collection now. I have about 80 bottles in my active collection (stuff I actually wear or intend to wear). When it was smaller than this there were still things I was looking for and when it was at its peak of about 350 bottles I had too much, and I wasn't wearing the stuff I liked enough or there were some bottles that just sat around never getting any use, or I was wearing some stuff that wasn't really my style. I could still probably drop my collection down to about 60 and be okay with it. But the 80 that I own and wear now have arrived via a very long process of elimination. So unless they're bottles I bought very recently, chances are they're bottles I really enjoy and they're part of my core collection.

And most recently I've lost interest in the hobby altogether (it happens from time to time...I know it's not permanent) and I've been content using the same 5 or 10 bottles over the past 2 months. Considering this, I've finally come to the definite conclusion that there is no reason to exceed my collection of 80 and that I could very well get by and be happy with probably 50. I'll be there soon enough, but as is, I'm very content with things the way they are right now.

I'd say back in April or May of this year I was at a point where I understood that my collection was large enough that it became difficult to enjoy all the scents I love. And I realized that my 'comfortable' number was surpassed a ways ago. I'm in the 50'ish range of scents but really should only carry no more than the low-30's of scents for a nice rotation of favorites with some occasional ones I like sprinkled in. I think anymore than a low-30's collection begins to steal uses from my most loved scents and a 'comfortable' rotation becomes difficult. I will likely be re-thinking some bottles and turn the ones I like into small decants and sell the rest off. It's going to be very tough to get my collection under 40-bottles though, but I realize it's something that is likely going to be necessary. Then put a few dozen small bottle decants in a drawer for use a few times a year. I already have a shelf full of fragrances and a few bottles I can't fit on the shelf. I want a smaller cabinet with the 30-something bottles of my favorites and a separate drawer with the decants.

Now, that's all 'big talk' from me until I try to actually do it. Like i said, I doubt it's going to be easy to sell off some of these bottles.

I have 400+ and I've gotten to the point where I'm not buying or get the urge to buy; I'm extremely selective now in what I do buy nowadays, which I never had before. Ad for a time frame, maybe around 2015-2016 I knew my collection was complete...
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Im at 120 now and have already picked 10 to sell, hoping to pick another 10 off next year as well.
    Really not buying much other than securing backups to a few favs here and there and gifts for others.
    I found my taste and havent really developed a taste for anything new over the past couple of years.

I'm mostly a sampler now, and rarely does a sample give me the urge to buy anymore.
    It seems the past year of so is signaling the end of my collecting and will be ramping up my reviewing in 2019.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Dependent

Oh heck, I really enjoy sampling the latest things. My fragrance interest is a lot about curiosity it seems.

What this usually means is a whole lot of sampling. It's not often that I find something new that I end up buying a FB of, but the sampling aspect is still quite enjoyable.

I do have some FBs though, but most of them are old-timers that I've had for a while, and which I enjoyed when I was first getting into fragrance.

Those old classic Serge Lutens things, I'm still enamored of several of them I'll admit.

master of sparks

Two hundred plus, and counting, and I'm not "comfortable" yet.

There are always days where I cannot find anything I *really* want to wear. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

/Acey

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Oh heck, I really enjoy sampling the latest things. My fragrance interest is a lot about curiosity it seems.

What this usually means is a whole lot of sampling. It's not often that I find something new that I end up buying a FB of, but the sampling aspect is still quite enjoyable.

I do have some FBs though, but most of them are old-timers that I've had for a while, and which I enjoyed when I was first getting into fragrance.

Those old classic Serge Lutens things, I'm still enamored of several of them I'll admit.
    I do a lot of sampling too. In the past year I've grown more patient, i.e. it might take me 3 or more months to try 10-20 samples. This way I keep wearing my FBs (and large decants) - don't want them to feel neglected .
    Currently wearing: Witness by Jacques Bogart

I focus more on quality vs quantity. I might have 20 or 25 but I love them all. If I end up with 40 then so be it as long as I dont force myself to use it because it's been so long. I will only buy scents I love - after sampling - instead of a huge collection that 'just smells nice.' I would rather have a backup bottle vs 2 or 3 other fragrances that smell ok but I only wear a few times a year. I rarely blind buy but sometimes it's necessary due to availability

I am comfortable where I am after a few years but I will continue to sample and purchase if I love it enough