Code of Conduct

Default Post your favorite fragrance review/comments and the fragrance it's for.

Tom Ford: FFabulous. I laughed so freakin hard.

Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Roja Dove

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Default Re: Post your favorite fragrance review/comments and the fragrance it's for.

Speaking of Fragrantica reviews, there are two users' work I definitely like to read, even if I didn’t smell the perfumes they’re commenting.

StellaDiverFlynn’s review is the most sincere ones I’ve ever read. Very etailed and elegantly-put, her reviews really aim to help readers to understand the scent itself.

Here is an example:

Jarling by JAR

Jarling opens with bitter almond, not explicitely powdery, but with an almost aqueous quality. The focus then starts to shift gradually into a more floral tone, and after about 30 minutes, Jarling is now stucked in the no man's land between mimosa, lilac and linden blossom.

An oily heliotrope/almond with aqueous violet leaf nuance and a subtle anise undertone, Jarling could well be either mimosa or lilac to my nose. But it lacks the weird vegetal oil quality of mimosa like Dame Mimosa perfume oil, nor does it retain the wheat/pollen like aroma of Frederic Malle En Passant. Its clean aqueous quality makes me think of several linden blossom fragrances, but Jarling is just too intense for this delicate beauty.

Jarling changes incrementally. It's always clean musky and aqueous, but after about 6 hours, it also has a subtle hay/almond undertone with a tiny bit of cherry.

Another one is Roge’. He’s got groove. He made a fragrance review more interesting to read than a hard-boiled detective story.

La Selle by Byredo

Feces vs. Saddle!? You guys are debating about the wrong thing. Did you see the price!? With that being said, this is a bad ass fragrance. This ain't for no punk ass dude. You gotta have some sauce to flow with this one..and when I say sauce, I'm talking about swagger. For me, this has the right amount of everything. The smell of Selle is akin to one of those Stefano Ricci jackets. The leather is 24 karat quality, absolutely jaw dropping as it pivots towards a velvety suede note. This is smoky only for a few seconds and that's because the suede tranquilizes the birch like a dart gun to an elephant. Once it gets to the suede stage, it pretty much stays that way. As I wear this sample, I feel like one of those Ralph Lauren models. No doubt the price will beat up your pockets. You will need riot gear. A great alternative is Edward Bess Genre which is currently in my top 5. As far as La Selle is concerned, it's Christmas list type of stuff for sure.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Post your favorite fragrance review/comments and the fragrance it's for.

ClaireV for Le Labo Labdanum 18

Maurice Roucel, you old roué! I think I’ve figured out your game. You made a beautiful musk-vanilla-amber template in the lab one day, and you thought to yourself, “Maurice, old boy, this ain’t half bad! I can get at least three good fragrances out of this.” You dialed up the rude bits on the template to arrive at Musc Ravageur, and you sanitized it with cotton and heliotrope and doll’s head plastic to come up with Helmut Lang EDP.

Le Labo comes a knocking, and you decide, you know what – let’s see if we can’t wring a last drop of juice from this old sponge. We’ll name it after an ingredient that isn’t noticeably in it, let’s say labdanum, so as to give those contrary hipster mofos at Le Labo their jollies. Add a pinch of cinnamon, a touch of powder, and my standard musky-ambery-vanilla, and BAM! Everybody’s happy.

Well, not me, Maurice, not me. The last imprint of the well-used template is too faint to leave much of an impression. It’s a midget in a hall of giants. Civet, leather – castoreum? Pfff, please. Shalimar has more underpantsy funk than this. The trouble is, of course, that Labdanum 18 can only cower in the shadow of its more outgoing big brother, Musc Ravageur, and its more distinctive, characterful little sister, Helmut Lang EDP. And if I want a powdery musk-amber-patchouli scent that smells like skin, I always have the soured-fur delights of L’Ombre Fauve to fall back on. Desolee.

and ClaireV's review of Guerlain Les Déserts d'Orient - Songe d'un Bois d'Été is epic.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Wearing Perfume Right Now

This is from Joe_Frances (who otherwise, I know nothing about) on the original Patou Pour Homme (1980). It especially caught my attention because the hot pepper note is so loud and dominant to my nose, and most reviewers don't mention it:

"This is a monument to the artistry of perfume making. It is very hard to review such a nearly-perfect product. There is something about the hot pepper note in Patou PH that is a complete stroke of genius that makes this unequalled, and that would leave one wondering: where ever did he think of that?!"

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

When this type of thread comes up, Rockford - Atkinsons always comes to mind for laughs. A Hungarian reviewer made an account on Sept. 8th 2008, posted this review on that day, and never returned. I read it imagining it's a true story and the reviewer wasn't attempting to be funny, but rather was trying to impress. I wonder what he's up to now:

When I was a kid I used to work in a hotel as a bellboy during the nightshift.
    The desk clerk was a real pimp gentleman who always tried to educate me on the subject of The Science of Pimpin'. He introduce me to this cologne back around 1986. It kinda reminds me still of the Hungarian prostitutes, the Italian hunters, and the Russian tourists, and of course the smell of the old hotel I lost me virginity in to a relative of mine, who worked there as a pro whore.
    I don't know what gets me more, the casual tone or the the losing your virginity to a relative brag. I'm sure someone will read that and think, "That's not funny, that's awful." Well, maybe. Maybe I'm awful, but I laughed hysterically when I came across that.

In terms of reviews that struck a chord because they resonated with me, Claire's neutral for Iris Silver Mist (I love it and like it for many reasons she doesn't):

This is not perfume.

It is either art or a form of water boarding, but it’s not a perfume.

Iris Silver Mist teeters on a tightrope between aching beauty and ugly brutality for much of its duration. The first blast out of the gate is of the purest iris root note I have ever smelled – it an exhalation of pure luxury.

Then, as suddenly as it began, the buttery iris root note is whipped away and replaced with a wall of poisonous aromas that lunges for your throat and just keeps coming.

I can almost taste the smell on the back of my tongue – mud, earth, metal, roots, dry ice pumped from a machine at a festival. The mix of aromas is unsettling and quite brutal, a cold stew of raw potatoes soaking in ice cold water, rotting carrot tops, and something that recalls the acrid fug of alcohol fumes that comes off a hot Poitín still.

There is also the high-toned acid sting of fresh urine about it – like that of a baby’s nappy but devoid of any of the warm, sweet-sour honey and hay overtones that makes baby pee such a friendly smell. The urine aroma here is cold and denatured, ureic acid grown in a sterile lab. This is not of human origin.

This striking stink is, of course, iris – pure iris rhizomes pushed to the limit by Maurice Roucel, who, under the urging of Serge Lutens to make it more, more, MORE iris, dumped a little-used iris nitrile called Irival into the mix. Iris fragrances are usually icy, polite, and suggestive or either lipstick or the lining of an Hermes purse.

Iris Silver Mist is the bared teeth of a dog. It snarls.

It’s not at all nice to wear, at least not in the first hour, but it stirs my soul in a way that more pleasant, wearable perfumes do not. The drydown is a soft iris suede with dabs of creamy woods and a soft breath of spice. Not distinctive at all, and actually kind of weak, but we still have the memory of that opening to drop our jaw to the ground.

Iris Silver Mist makes me think of uncomfortable scenarios – teenagers facing the wall at the end of the Blair Witch Project, the tops of those dark pine trees swaying in the wind in Twin Peaks every time Coop entered the Red Room in the Black Lodge, the guy in nothing but y-fronts and a WW2 gas mask striding across a corn field at the end of episode 3 of True Detective…..

Think of basically anything that has ever chilled your soul, and that’s Iris Silver Mist.

It is a work of art. Art in a gimp mask, yes – but still, art.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    When this type of thread comes up, Rockford - Atkinsons always comes to mind for laughs. A Hungarian reviewer made an account on Sept. 8th 2008, posted this review on that day, and never returned. I read it imagining it's a true story and the reviewer wasn't attempting to be funny, but rather was trying to impress. I wonder what he's up to now:
    I don't know what gets me more, the casual tone or the the losing your virginity to a relative brag. I'm sure someone will read that and think, "Thankt's not funny, that's awful." Well, maybe. Maybe I'm awful, but I laughed hysterically when I came across that.
    Holy fork! THIS is the type of review reads more interesting than a hard-boiled detective novel!
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

One of the more entertaining reviewers ever to contribute, Naed_Nitram ( Dean Martin spelled backwards !!! ) and his review of Kouros Cologne Sport.

All his reviews are unique and I could have picked numerous others. This one displays his style rather well.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 9.37.02 PM.jpg
    Currently wearing: Bond-T by Sammarco