Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recognition: Basenoters Who've Made the Best Personal Recommendations

L'Homme Blanc Individuel is solely responsible for me owning Penhaligon's Castile. He championed it so hard this dummer. I can totally understand why.
    oh look, I have a signature

Default Re: Recognition: Basenoters Who've Made the Best Personal Recommendations

Indeed a great idea, can only second the wonderful basic principle/premise of the thread.

In no particular order, since all the recommendations were equally valuable, cherished and added great value to an already wonderful community and interaction:

Hedonist 222- making the discovery of the wonderful niche houses Xerjoff and Jovoy, did personally not have previous knowledge about whatsoever possible in the first place

Powerhouse connoisseurs like Pour Monsieur/Shamu, Tvlampboy, Hednic, Aromi Erotici/Sexy Smells, Perfaddict- apart from the abundance of wonderful designer and niche knowledge, especially one particular scent choice stood out, also inexpensively apart from already stunning, precisely Lapidus pour Homme

Primrose- though already being familiar with these landmark/iconic houses, appreciating the classic beauty of dandyism often rendered at its finest through names like Caron and Guerlain, but particularly their almost limitless selection of Proustian, Belle Epoque style masterpieces to the fullest

Jon Rodgers- great BN contributor and the mastermind behind rediscovering at even higher strength and intensity fragrance houses like Hugh Parsons, already loved in the past anyway, but not just up to this completely rekindled and newly valued, plus also gaining a completely new fascination for houses like Neil Morris and MDCI

Mimi Gardenia- thanks to her, did learn to value a newly found freedom and fulfilment to enjoy floral, sensual, leathery creations along the lines, but not limited to Songe d'un Bois de Ete. plus several iconic (again leathery) masterpieces by Creed, Knize and Shiseido/Lutens

Johhnyacl, Dandydude, the_good_life- such wonderful niche enthusiasts who proved to me repeatedly, through very credible examples rendered in an always erudite and gentlemanly, but also enthusiastic, entertaining and captivating way that niche is way more than an overpriced fad and far more a vibrant, evolutive, passionate and wildly creative microcosm of consistently impressive perfume excellence

To all these wonderful Basenotes friend and this wonderful community in general goes out a humble and humbled personal message of thanks for all these and many other stunning scent discoveries made possible much faster and easier, as well as to unexpected extents would have never thought of as possible.

Blog Entries

Getting a bit more recent than 2006, Juxtapozbliss gets my thanks for the Sixteen92 thread! I feel like he positioned a sled at the top of a big hill and said "Sit here." Then he nudged it with the toe of his boot.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Day Dreams by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Ken_Russell - numerous terrific recommendations from vintage to contemporary.

Primrose - shared love of floral leathers and a lot more besides.

Mimi Gardenia - sparked much of my interest in Guerlain.

mikeperez23 - knows my nose better than I do.

ComDiva - introduced me to Neil Morris.

petruccijc - instigated my quest for Egoiste Cologne Concentree.

jcrich / N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer - mutual love of vintage Creeds.

Whitefluffy - fellow iris nut.

Darvant / drseid - trusted noses who have inspired many fragrant forays.

ExtremeK / teardrop / thediamondsea - tons of thoughtful suggestions on the female SotD thread many of which have ended up as full bottle purchases.

Larimar - shared love of Caron / Guerlain / Roja Dove. Loads of invaluable information for which I will always be grateful.

Pluran / mr.reasonable - if they enthuse about something I can guarantee it will be worth experiencing regardless of whether it fits my personal taste or not.

freewheelingvagabond - reignited my interest in Havana.

All the aforementioned regulars on the Vintage Forum who have opened my eyes to so many previously undiscovered gems.
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Basenotes Junkie

I’m sure I’ve missed one or two, so apologies, but for me:

L’Homme Blanc Individuel
    Checkmate
    Ken_Russell
    Oviatt
    MegaMav
    Lannister
    Jowan

All have given thoughtful and good advice and recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Ken_Russell - numerous terrific recommendations from vintage to contemporary.

Primrose - shared love of floral leathers and a lot more besides.

Mimi Gardenia - sparked much of my interest in Guerlain.

mikeperez23 - knows my nose better than I do.

ComDiva - introduced me to Neil Morris.

petruccijc - instigated my quest for Egoiste Cologne Concentree.

jcrich / N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer - mutual love of vintage Creeds.

Whitefluffy - fellow iris nut.

Darvant / drseid - trusted noses who have inspired many fragrant forays.

ExtremeK / teardrop / thediamondsea - tons of thoughtful suggestions on the female SotD thread many of which have ended up as full bottle purchases.

Larimar - shared love of Caron / Guerlain / Roja Dove. Loads of invaluable information for which I will always be grateful.

Pluran / mr.reasonable - if they enthuse about something I can guarantee it will be worth experiencing regardless of whether it fits my personal taste or not.

freewheelingvagabond - reignited my interest in Havana.

All the aforementioned regulars on the Vintage Forum who have opened my eyes to so many previously undiscovered gems.

Back at you, for passing the iris torch back and forth!

This kind of thing is just impossible; I'm bound to forget someone whose enthusiasm affected me profoundly or who otherwise did me a solid by sending me something interesting that's now a love.

Teardrop has probably been the greatest influence, for better or for worse, for my actually getting out my wallet and buying stuff; I'll follow her anywhere there are BWFs to be found. I also owe a debt of thanks (and a debt of debts) to Primrose, Trilby Lark, freewheeling, Bavard, Tdem, PerfumedLady, kumquat, Cestrum, MikeP (especially with the ancillary products!), and my dear friend House of P. KelleyBelle is, I think, already in the process of further corrupting me (like I needed any more of that). Oh--and Buzzlepuff, who doesn't post much but who reviews some of the most interesting stuff out there, much of which of falls between the cracks of our collective groupthink--and same goes for gimmegreen and rogalol; those guys always send me off on eBay searches. Oh, and wotsisname, that Crusader cat that keeps writing about Calvin Klein stuff.
    Sale Thread! (ELdO, SHL777, Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood)

Swap Thread! (Same as Above)

Blog Entries

I owe user Rubegon (who hasn't been active since 2016) everything!!!
    Do you guys remember him?!

He is so far the only member who spent the time to really curate a stunning and varied samples collection for me when I was a total newcomer to the hobby. It contained everything from reference scents, vintage scents, rare scents, and expensive scents. Basically everything I don't really have access to.

Out of everything he sent me, my favourite turned out to be Guerlain Shalimar EDC from the 50's. He is a huge Guerlain collector, and I hope he sees this message one day and know that what he did for me was one of the kindest and generous things anyone has done for me and I am forever grateful.
    Looking for bottle of Narciso Rodriguez for Her Perfume Oil

The more I read, the more I'm learning about how equally bad my memory is like my nose - I missed so many
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Schnozz is a great poster. He adds a lot to the place when he pops back in.
    So true! I love his intelligence.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for inspiring, informing, and inciting tremendous perfume havoc upon my finances:

In no order: freewheelingvagabond, Zealot Crusader, darvant, ISOeSuperman, the diamond sea, Diamondflame, epapsiou, HouseOfPhlegethon, oriane, foetidus, and more I can't remember.

Thank you, Way Off Scenter and Redneck Perfumisto for starting me on this crazy road to excess. Miss you, Red!

Thank you, ClaireV for the online master classes and marvelous commentary.

Thank you, Hednic, for having the answers to everything in the classiest way possible.

Thank you, shy cat, for the bravery to announce a blind buy of Amouage Love Tuberose, actually going through with it at great expense, and writing the first review. Spectacular!

And Cook.bot, when one day you write your book, I will be first in line to buy an autographed copy.

I'm enjoying the scents accumulated thus far. But y'all make them so much more enjoyable!
    Thank you.
    "Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal." ---Diana Vreeland, VOGUE
    "Stink elegant!" ---C. J. Lacey, grandfather

Odysseusm: Although I've worn fragrance for a long time, my true journey didn't begin until November of 2014. I had worn Polo for many years and was disillusioned with the changes that had been made to it. I loved the coniferous pine presence it originally had and I wanted to find a fragrance that captured that pine smell I loved so much and was missing.So, I went in search of the ultimate coniferous fragrance. I initially discovered Royal Mayfair by Creed in Nordstoms. It had a slight pine note and so I bought a bottle. I then discovered Fille en Aiguilles from a sample I purchased on the Perfumed Court and it was love at first sniff. Then I also discovered Lucky Scent and got a sample of Norne by Slumberhouse and once again it was instantaneous love!!! I love both Fille en Aiguilles and Norne so much and Slumberhouse became my new dazzle. My searching then lead me to Basenotes and I started reading Odysseusm's posting and thoughts on coniferous fragrances and joined the Coneheads! He introduced me to Good Fir 11 (Incredible!!!), Cypres Musc (Superb!), Blenheim Bouquet, Eau des 4 Voleurs, Fou d' Absinthe and many others. His love of coniferous notes helped steer me in some awesome coniferous directions! He also introduced me to the amazing resinous world of incense fragrances, which I hadn't known about or tried before then. Such gems as Cardinal by Heeley, 07 Tanoke Odin NY, Olibanum by Profumum and others. I can't thank him enough for his input and recommendations...they have been invaluable! And, he's a very nice gentleman to boot!

IsoESuperman: This excellent gent contacted me about a fragrance that I had missed out on and helped me get my greedy paws on without trying to gouge me in the process. I was truly impressed and need to say what a fine gentleman he is. I appreciate his insights and kindness, and I rely on his reviews many times as I highly value what he has to say. A true gentleman.

Deadidol: Slumberhouse became my favorite house so after I discovered it back in 2014. Deadidol is the Slumberhouse guru here on the boards and has been super nice to me answering my questions...sometimes stupid ones I'm sure. He's steered me right on many occasions and I have greatly appreciated it!

Grungevig: Another very nice gent who helped me in my Santa Maria Novella detective work. SMN is his favorite house and he helped me to navigate to the fragrances that spoke to me from this house. He's also a great D.S. & Durga resource and a nice guy.

Jazznpool: Great seller who also hooked me up with an excellent find! Great to deal with as well!

N.Cal Fragrance Reviewer: Helped steer me in the right direction and has been very nice!

Also, thanks to Darvant and Claire V for some great information on notes and fragrances that have helped me many times!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    Thank you for inspiring, informing, and inciting tremendous perfume havoc upon my finances:

In no order: freewheelingvagabond, Zealot Crusader, darvant, ISOeSuperman, the diamond sea, Diamondflame, epapsiou, HouseOfPhlegethon, oriane, foetidus, and more I can't remember.

Thank you, Way Off Scenter and Redneck Perfumisto for starting me on this crazy road to excess. Miss you, Red!

Thank you, ClaireV for the online master classes and marvelous commentary.

Thank you, Hednic, for having the answers to everything in the classiest way possible.

Thank you, shy cat, for the bravery to announce a blind buy of Amouage Love Tuberose, actually going through with it at great expense, and writing the first review. Spectacular!

And Cook.bot, when one day you write your book, I will be first in line to buy an autographed copy.

I'm enjoying the scents accumulated thus far. But y'all make them so much more enjoyable!
    Thank you.
    Awww I'm glad something I rambled on about proved useful to ya!

rabid aroma explorer

There are so many here that have inspired me into my foray into niche. Names I can't remember. For reviewers I've read with much interest I'd say the tops are, Darvant, thediamondsea, and Purecaramel.

Those who have physically contributed to my trip down the rabbit-hole: IsoESuperman, Bavard, Purecaramel, and especially thediamondsea. A few more here, I am sure to swap with in the near future, will probably add to my addiction.

I have to thank Juxtapozbliss not only for perfume ideas / recommendations but, for making me think of possibly doing art again.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. ~~ Aeschylus
    Currently wearing: Salem by Sixteen92

Naed Nitram (Martin Dean)
    TVLampboy
    Trebor (the first Nihilist reviewer)
    Colin M
    Jack H
    Dr Seid
    Badarun
    Sir Slarty

Blog Entries

Thanks, Jon & tds!

Too many to mention for me, but the standout is Evangeline, who sadly no longer posts here. She recommended two of my all-time favourites: Samsara & Alien.

forfreddie & kitsch have sent me many samples over the years, some of which have sparked purchases.

Others who've inspired me are Vernona, Mimi Gardenia, foxbins & ClaireV.

Apologies to anyone l've forgotten!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Basenotes Plus

Colin Maillard

ClaireV

One for providing numerous samples of unerringly good taste when I was just starting out here, as well as excellent critical reviews; and another for her many great suggestions, especially in the musky/animalic realm with a shared enthusiasm.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    Actually, I bought it blind and then later only had to admit what I'd done.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it.
    Currently wearing: Day Dreams by Montale

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Hednic for French Line by Revillion (1984)
    Although he didn't really personally suggest it to me, I saw him wear it a lot and asked around about it.
    Purecaramel came through with a sample which inspired the FB bottle acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Hednic for French Line by Revillion (1984)
    Although he didn't really personally suggest it to me, I saw him wear it a lot and asked around about it.
    Purecaramel came through with a sample which inspired the FB bottle acquisition.
    French Line is a great fragrance. I love the basil note in it. A worthy herbal, woody leather if there ever was one.
    Currently wearing: Bond-T by Sammarco

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Naed Nitram (Martin Dean)
    Loved his reviewing style...
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    French Line is a great fragrance. I love the basil note in it. A worthy herbal, woody leather if there ever was one.
    I kinda got this interesting "cherry limeaid" note because of the way the coconut plays with the rest. That's what hooked me. Would never have known about it if I hadn't seen Hednic wear it a ton, then PC sent me some to try.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Loved his reviewing style...
    The 'Baron Charlus' ? I think

If not now, when?

What a great thread - and I am glad I appeared on someone's list. Helping other people fall in love with a scent is part of why I come to BN.

I will list some that randomly pop in my head - many of them don't post here anymore: scentemental, zztopp, kumquat, arwen elf, DustB, KevinGuyer, petruccijc, rtamara41, cestrum nocturnum, ComDiva, Redneck Perfumisto, Quarry, silverbullet, david, Isoesuperman, starblind, epapsiou, ClaireV, thediamondsea, pluran, alfarom, JonRodgers, strifeknot, rynegne, MonsieurGuerlain, lucaturin, Chandler Burr...and I am sure I am forgetting others
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

While I tend to go my own way, I do have to thank a few.

First off, without freewheelingvagabond, I probably wouldn't have gotten over a Fahrenheit hangover dating back to middle school. Nor would I have picked up Havana for $17 at a Sears store closing sale.

Then, hednic sparked my interest in Baccarat Rouge 540 - my SOTD - when it was still a limited edition. When MFK made it part of the normal line, I had to try it. This year, I finally could. I love it.

And without L'Homme Blanc Individuel, I wouldn't have made my biggest blind buy ever - Nio. And my appreciation for Aqua Universalis would be less than it is today.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)