Code of Conduct

Post The Physiological Effect of Scents?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books dealing with the historic and scientifically observed physiological effects of scents that may be utilized in perfumery? For example: 1.) According to a perfumist who was giving a lecture to his apprentices in a herb garden (this was in a documentary), clary sage is frequently utilized in mens' colognes because it intimates the scent of fresh/ clean mens' sweat; 2.) a friend recently told me that frangipani (i.e. plumeria) is a "pheromone chameleon that also intensifies and balances all natural scent chemistry with whatever you pair it with; and, 3.) a while back I tried to contact an olfactory institute in Chicago that discovered, for example, the scent of pumpkin pie + lavender is particularly arousing to men (even leading to an increase in penile blood flow!). I politely asked if they would share their study with me for a book I am writing, but they refused, insisting that the author of the study was (if I recall correctly!) more interested in using these results to formulate fragrances that he could sell. That's unfortunate because the research could benefit many! Heck, I am interested in whether or not other folks of a particular sexual orientation find certain scents more attractive than others. I *have* heard, that Gay men find the scent of other Gay men more arousing than the scent of heterosexual men. One question I would like to answer is: Why are certain aromas associated with wealth and financial well-being?

Take Care,
    Wade

Default Re: The Physiological Effect of Scents?

"The Psychological Basis of Perfumery" by Paul Jellinek is exactly what you are looking for.

Interesting thing he says: perfumes omitting men's erogenous components (such as neroli) tend to be used by men exclusively - such things as Portugal water.

I would think that while he doesn't touch on homosexuality (the book is 60 or so years old though the English version I have is a 1990s re-print) that there is an implication that gay men would act in the opposite to straight men in finding perfumes with men's erogenous components appealing.

From my own experience as a gay man, I am definitely attracted to scents marketed for women more than scents marketed for men in terms of the pleasure of smelling the scent, but I tend to wear more men's perfumes (Aventus, Terre D'Hermes, Patou Pour Homme, etc). I would be less attracted to a male wearing a feminine fragrance than a men's fragrance.

Thanks for that! I'll have to look for a copy! Indeed, as a Gay man, I have often wondered what aromatic components in Calvin Klein's "Euphoria", Paco Rabban's "XS" and "Eternity" for men all make me feel so sexy when I smell them or wear them. BTW, considering the Olfactory Inst. from Chicago (I spoke of them above) discovered that lavender + pumpkin pie is a turn on of men, I would love to try L'Occitan's Eau de Toilette for me, which is lavender, musks, cinnamon and nutmeg! Pity that it's so expensive!

Is it just the lavender or with anything or it has to go with the pumpkin pie? And I wonder if just cloves would be sufficient, cloves are very sensual.
    Just FYI - almost all men will follow the scent of bacon and pumpkin pie