Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: Drakkar Noir

  1. #1

    Default Drakkar Noir

    Been sampling this all week from the store and received my bottle today.

    To me this seems pretty classic and am a bit perplexed at the many many reviews that people wore this through high school and also it's association's with attracting the opposite gender.

    Is exactly the wave I'm surfing at the moment, classic make up, masculine, no nonsense no frills.

    Doesn't seem like a traditional pleaser ( ADG, million, le male, chrome.... etc). Is it the case that back in the day the choice was very limited so this was hugely popular and thus had the 'sexy' connotation?

    To me it's pretty neat and norm core-ish. Fairly traditional, bit barbery, bit of spice, bit of wood n leather?

    My nose is UK born n bred.

    What says ye?!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Owned it in college back in the early 90's, not sure I want to own it again. I sniff it in the store and I'm like, yep, that's DN. Classic DNA, just doesn't flip my lid like it used to. I'm sure I'll eventually add it to my collection.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Hey Ifti, glad you like the Drakkar, it's a stone cold classic and, in its time, was pretty regularly smelled on guys in the UK too. I'm mid-40s and can remember waves of Drakkar Noir hitting me across pubs and clubs up here in the North of England. If you want a taste of how it used to smell 'back in the day' get hold of Al Rehab Dakar. It's pretty close to how the original nuclear formulation used to smell. Saying that the current stuff is still excellent in my humble opinion. Cheers!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Thank you for the great idea of sharing impressions about (well, at least from a personal viewpoint) classic with us.

    Personally, this one always remains a staple in the personal wardrobe and also toe be considered quite attractive, alluring and seductive yet in a mature, stylish and accomplished, fascinating way not in spite of its rather classic style and/or, at best sketchy and not always unanimous mass appeal, but precisely BECAUSE of it.

    Maybe it has to do in part with being born during the 80s and thus almost naturally inclined to powerhouses, maybe in part due to simply and unmistakably enjoying these very classic powerhouses since highschool, maybe also being a Continental European just in the right climate zone to make Drakkar Noir appropriate for (almost) all year, all seasons wearing.

    Could never speak for fellow Basenoters, but sometimes-again from a personal and subjective viewpoint alone- beauty and even attractiveness can be quite easily perceptible, not just hidden, in a fairly balanced and apparently unspectacular, rather inexpensively priced but by no means bad quality, traditional also more or less barbershop-style powerhouse designer fougere like this.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Yeah top drawer!
    I'm feeling this is gonna get some good wear. I did come across the AL Rehab and it's on my addition (addiction!) List!! Users swear by it being closer to the original.
    Aaahhh quite excited, getting a nice classic collection appearing slowly but surely
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  6. #6

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thank you for the great idea of sharing impressions about (wall, at least from a personal viewpoint) classic with us.

    Personally, this one always remains a staple in the personal wardrobe and also toe be considered quite attractive, alluring and seductive yet in a mature, stylish and accomplished, fascinating way not in spite of its rather classic style and/or, at best sketchy and not always unanimous mass appeal, but precisely BECAUSE of it.

    Maybe it has to do in part with being born during the 80s and thus almost naturally inclined to powerhouses, maybe in part due to simply and unmistakably enjoying these very classic powerhouses since highschool, maybe also being a Continental European just in the right climate zone to make Drakkar Noir appropriate for (almost) all year, all seasons wearing.

    Could never speak for fellow Basenoters, but sometimes-again from a personal and subjective viewpoint alone- beauty and even attractiveness can be quite easily perceptible, not just hidden, in a fairly balanced and apparently unspectacular, rather inexpensively priced but by no means bad quality, traditional also more or less barbershop-style powerhouse designer fougere like this.
    Lol more eloquently said than I ! Spot on
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  7. #7

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Yes, "back in the day" we had so little choice that we used to rub cabbage leaves behind our ears and bathe in broth. It was such a relief when Drakkar Noir came along. I still can't stand the smell of cabbage.

  8. #8
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,089

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Used it in the past more frequently and enjoyed it as a masculine inoffensive scent. Has always smelled great to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  9. #9
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,340
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    To me Drakkar Noir was always the smell of dining at a restaurant requiring reservations, or going to a club/lounge with a dress casual code. Geo F Trumper's Eucris (1912) is it's granddaddy.
    oh look, I have a signature

  10. #10

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Yeah top drawer!
    I'm feeling this is gonna get some good wear. I did come across the AL Rehab and it's on my addition (addiction!) List!! Users swear by it being closer to the original.
    Aaahhh quite excited, getting a nice classic collection appearing slowly but surely
    What have you got so far in your 'Classics Collection' besides the Drakkar Ifti?

  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    821

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    I absolutely love Drakkar Noir. And the newest bottles smell fantastic and perform fantastic. There not as dirty as old school Drakkar but damn it's just so gentlemanly. No bubblegum, , no cloying saccharine chemical sweetness, just nice classic feel. And priced right to. When my 30 ml is gone in going to get a bigger bottle.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    1,177

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    This cologne was recently a topic of conversation for me. My mother in-law brought up that my father in-law had bought some cologne because they knows I'm into them. "Yea, I got some cologne." he said "What?" I asked. Sheepishly, he replied, "Oh, just some old school Drakkar Noir." "Actually, I really like Drakkar." I said. To me, it holds up pretty well. It does not smell like a million dollars, but it is infinitely better than Axe body spray. I could totally see myself owning a bottle someday. Definitely for men, definitely smells good. Perfectly acceptable signature scent, and maybe best in that role.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  13. #13

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    What have you got so far in your 'Classics Collection' besides the Drakkar Ifti?
    Polo Green, Tabac , Azzaro PH, Pour Lui
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  14. #14

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Interesting. I had not heard of this brand until just recently when a friend informed me he was using it.

    I looked it up expecting it to be cheap stuff, but saw WalMart was selling it at a pretty high cost.

  15. #15
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,340
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Spice View Post
    Interesting. I had not heard of this brand until just recently when a friend informed me he was using it.

    I looked it up expecting it to be cheap stuff, but saw WalMart was selling it at a pretty high cost.
    Gotta get it online!
    oh look, I have a signature

  16. #16

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Polo Green, Tabac , Azzaro PH, Pour Lui
    Oh and Gentleman!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  17. #17

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Spice View Post
    Interesting. I had not heard of this brand until just recently when a friend informed me he was using it.

    I looked it up expecting it to be cheap stuff, but saw WalMart was selling it at a pretty high cost.
    Yeah it's not a cheap cheapie - around £30/100ml
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  18. #18

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post

    What says ye?!
    I think it has a bit of an edge compared to other fragrances from that era which all seem more formal even more mature to me, Kouros for example.
    On the right person, it's amazing. On the wrong person it can come across as tacky.

    You should also check out Taxi by Cofinluxe.
    It's similar to Drakkar Noir but has more tobacco in it's dry down and is not as soapy. It's slightly more mature, but wears a bit lighter.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I think it has a bit of an edge compared to other fragrances from that era which all seem more formal even more mature to me, Kouros for example.
    On the right person, it's amazing. On the wrong person it can come across as tacky.

    You should also check out Taxi by Cofinluxe.
    It's similar to Drakkar Noir but has more tobacco in it's dry down and is not as soapy. It's slightly more mature, but wears a bit lighter.
    Cheers yeah might just do that! Unfortunately popped it on the he-bay already not getting good performance at all . Dry down I get wafts similar to Azzaro, of which the performance is improving with each wear. Possibly redundant have both.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  20. #20

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    I think this is the only fragrance I've ever impulse bought a small size at CVS and then went back the next day to buy another, bigger bottle. It's really good stuff. What's interesting to me is that I dated the batch code to 2016, yet on the ingredients tree moss is listed directly, which I thought was a restricted chemical.

    Anywho, I love this soapy dihydromyrcenol, piney Black Ice air freshener, mossy lavender woodyness. Long lasting, rich, evergreen and really cheap! Also, being the youngster that I am, I find its use of the patchouli very similar to more modern offerings starting with Axe and ending with the recent Dylan Blue. I know everyone here hates those and this will undoubtedly make people start to second think their like for DN, but so be it.

  21. #21
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,340
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    I think this is the only fragrance I've ever impulse bought a small size at CVS and then went back the next day to buy another, bigger bottle. It's really good stuff. What's interesting to me is that I dated the batch code to 2016, yet on the ingredients tree moss is listed directly, which I thought was a restricted chemical.

    Anywho, I love this soapy dihydromyrcenol, piney Black Ice air freshener, mossy lavender woodyness. Long lasting, rich, evergreen and really cheap! Also, being the youngster that I am, I find its use of the patchouli very similar to more modern offerings starting with Axe and ending with the recent Dylan Blue. I know everyone here hates those and this will undoubtedly make people start to second think their like for DN, but so be it.
    What was once old is new again. You're fine.
    oh look, I have a signature

  22. #22

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    I don't wear this but I can attest to the current formulation's projection. My work colleague sprayed some of this on from about 10 feet away, and it was so present. Not sure what longevity is like, but others will definitely smell you.
    Currently wearing: Anvers by Ulrich Lang

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hellaware
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post

    To me this seems pretty classic and am a bit perplexed at the many many reviews that people wore this through high school and also it's association's with attracting the opposite gender.

    What says ye?!
    This was the thing that all the guys wore at my school with the belief that it would attract the girls. It was definitely a signal. For me, it was a warning that the guy in question might look and smell damn fine, but he would probably be shagging my best friend two minutes after I gave him my attention.

    It's just an association, and likely with cultural underpinnings. In any case, I love it, but I would rather wear it myself than smell it on a guy.

  24. #24
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,901

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    When I did wear it years ago I enjoyed it, I have since moved onto other things might revisit in time. Try Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Antaeus, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, Pour Monsieur if you haven’t already!
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

  25. #25

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    3 sprays from my 2016 bottle (one on my chest, back of neck, and wrists dabbed together) lasts well over 10 hours, I'm eating dinner now and I can still smell it projecting on my wrists, and breathing on it lets me smell the top notes again very clearly...I can't imagine how powerful the vintage juice must have been.

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    When I did wear it years ago I enjoyed it, I have since moved onto other things might revisit in time. Try Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Antaeus, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, Pour Monsieur if you haven’t already!
    Will do! Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, and Rive Gauche have been on my try list for a while but it's just so hard to find in a physical location.

  26. #26
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Will do! Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, and Rive Gauche have been on my try list for a while but it's just so hard to find in a physical location.
    Funnily enough, I just wandered over to my local drugstore (a Walgreens) and saw they had Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (along with Fahrenheit, and surprisingly, Shalimar!). The Paco Rabanne is great stuff, btw.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

  27. #27
    Super Member calitrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Yes, this was popular in the late 80s, at least with some people -- my old college roommate Paul loved Drakkar Noir back in the late 80s and early 90s.
    I used to harass him a bit for dousing himself in the stuff before he went out to a party or on a date -- our shared dorm room wasn't large, which didn't help! I wore cologne as well (Polo and Chaps, mostly) but I never put on more than 2-3 sprays at a time.

    Fwiw, Paul was (and still is) a gregarious, hard-working, well-dressed Italian-American from a nice part of Long Island (Garden City) whose father owned a Limousine company.

    I'd be curious to smell the vintage or the modern version, and see if I can appreciate it for what it is...

    or if it just makes me think "Paul! Too much!" :-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Been sampling this all week from the store and received my bottle today. To me this seems pretty classic and am a bit perplexed at the many many reviews that people wore this through high school and also it's association's with attracting the opposite gender.
    Btw, I'm guessing it got that reputation because it was popular with a certain kind of young middle-class American white guy who yearned to be a successful and sophisticated adult man completely with a sexy girlfriend as soon as he possibly could.

    Back then, we tended to be a bit more direct in our pursuit of women.

    Over the past couple of decades, I seen more more and more of the "let's go hang out with mutual friends until one of us works up enough courage to suggest we go do something solo but please let's not call it a DATE date" approach.

    That would have gotten you harassed by your guy friends in the late 80s!

    But it wasn't all bad, in fact I would argue it was mostly good, because guys were actually rooting for their friends to ask a girl out and get some romance going as soon as possible instead of tacitly encouraging them to be a wuss ("I can't deal with rejection" was a popular excuse). Granted, some guys were less than gentlemanly in their open pursuit, so that may be why it conjures up connotations of horn-dogs on the prowl for some people.
    Last edited by calitrav; 15th January 2019 at 12:51 AM.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

  28. #28

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyEllie View Post
    This was the thing that all the guys wore at my school with the belief that it would attract the girls. It was definitely a signal. For me, it was a warning that the guy in question might look and smell damn fine, but he would probably be shagging my best friend two minutes after I gave him my attention.

    It's just an association, and likely with cultural underpinnings. In any case, I love it, but I would rather wear it myself than smell it on a guy.
    Haha! I avoid "the signal" frags as a matter of course. The likes of million , Aventurd(!) AdG ... 😉
    So I'm glad I got rid!!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

  29. #29

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    I always loved Drakar Noir Ever since the 90s I associated the smell with a well dressed gentleman If you really want the drakar noir kick I would suggest going for Al Rehab Dakar over the current DN formulation.

  30. #30
    Basenotes Junkie
    ScentMemory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Drakkar Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Been sampling this all week from the store and received my bottle today.

    To me this seems pretty classic and am a bit perplexed at the many many reviews that people wore this through high school and also it's association's with attracting the opposite gender.

    Is exactly the wave I'm surfing at the moment, classic make up, masculine, no nonsense no frills.

    Doesn't seem like a traditional pleaser ( ADG, million, le male, chrome.... etc). Is it the case that back in the day the choice was very limited so this was hugely popular and thus had the 'sexy' connotation?

    To me it's pretty neat and norm core-ish. Fairly traditional, bit barbery, bit of spice, bit of wood n leather?

    My nose is UK born n bred.

    What says ye?!
    What seems traditional now was actually pretty groundbreaking back then: although dihydromercenol had been used before (e.g. Paco Rabanne), it had never been used in such quantity. I think it was the addition of this soapy aromachemical to a high-quality aromatic fougere that smelled new and exciting and sexy to people. Not that I knew any of this back then. As a scrawny teenager using too much of it, I just knew the girls loved it.




Similar Threads

  1. Drakkar Noir
    By Mr.Smellin.Good in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 7th June 2017, 01:25 AM
  2. Drakkar noir vs Tom ford noir
    By Fragranceforum in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th November 2015, 08:44 PM
  3. Drakkar - not Drakkar Noir
    By narcus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th April 2007, 03:44 AM
  4. 'Drakkar Noir'
    By ls.ten.eleven in forum Yahoo Groups Messages
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st May 2002, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000