Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Guess Italians Really Like Calvin Klein.

I've been wandering into a few Italian perfume stores this vacation. I was struck seeing 100ml bottles of Calvin Klein Eternity and Eternity Now priced at 83 Euros each. I think they are excellent scents, but back home in Australia they can normally be found for the equivalent of 24 Euros, sometimes less.

Similarly, I've seen 200ml bottles of CK One and Ck B going for 70 Euros or so, where back home they can often be bought for as little as 18 Euros a bottle (I even saw a 50ml bottle of CK One going for 20 Euros).

I guess Italians really like some Calvin Klein scents.
    Regards,
    Renato

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: I Guess Italians Really Like Calvin Klein.

That's a big price discrepancy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

They apparently like Rocky too. And Rocky II, as well as the rest.

I'd imagine if the above epistemological sociologists interpretation of the sample data were studied alongside your observations at a back to back rescreening of said movies in Milan we'd find Calone, Hedione and Testosterone running amok in the air as it levitates and projects from a 5' 2" paisan caught up in the throes of media induced ecstasy.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That's a big price discrepancy!
    Over three times dearer in Italy than Australia.
    Doesn't make much sense.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post

They apparently like Rocky too. And Rocky II, as well as the rest.

I'd imagine if the above epistemological sociologists interpretation of the sample data were studied alongside your observations at a back to back rescreening of said movies in Milan we'd find Calone, Hedione and Testosterone running amok in the air as it levitates and projects from a 5' 2" paisan caught up in the throes of media induced ecstasy.
    Is Eddie sort of taking off John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever?
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Over three times dearer in Italy than Australia.
    Doesn't make much sense.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Especially considering the fact hat companies tend to sell products in Australia for a significant mark up just because they can. Interesting and weird.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Maybe just like Americans usually like Gucci and Versace.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm of Italian descent with both sides coming to Ellis Island 95 years ago. I like Rocky movies; especially since I come from that same neighborhood in North Philadelphia where the movies were shot.

Yes.......I'm a walking cliche.....and yes, I revel in it.

Now, about Calvin Klein.......I have no idea WHY the releases are $$$jacked up like that. I like some of their fragrances, but find most of what I've tried to be either generic, innocuous, etc.........

It all comes down to what a person is willing to pay for any given fragrance. I suppose one mans mediocrity is another's treasure.
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Maybe the generally synthetic 90's calone/hedione sci-fi crispness of CK works better in the Italian summer than modern candy ambroxanwood stuff? I can imagine recent scents like Eros just absolutely choking people in 100 degree heat, while something like good old Eternity or even Escape carrying aloft much better.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Maybe the generally synthetic 90's calone/hedione sci-fi crispness of CK works better in the Italian summer than modern candy ambroxanwood stuff? I can imagine recent scents like Eros just absolutely choking people in 100 degree heat, while something like good old Eternity or even Escape carrying aloft much better.
    Could be. Personally, I like CK One and to this day, it's my daughter's favorite scent. The climate in Italy certainly would lean towards lighter fragrances. I can't imagine running around Naples sporting Kouros.

Are you confusing it with Eternity Aqua? There's no Calone in Eternity for men.

To address the OP. Italians don't tend to devalue retail. There aren't scores of discount stores everywhere.

You may find that Eternity wasn't a massive hit there but it still has its market. It was huge here, which always ends up devaluing a fragrance, as it ends up connected to a specific era/trend.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Could be. Personally, I like CK One and to this day, it's my daughter's favorite scent. The climate in Italy certainly would lean towards lighter fragrances. I can't imagine running around Naples sporting Kouros.
    My friend in Rome said Pino Silvestri is about as common there as Old Spice is here, and they like it because it's sharp enough to resist sweating off skin. Truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Are you confusing it with Eternity Aqua? There's no Calone in Eternity for men.

To address the OP. Italians don't tend to devalue retail. There aren't scores of discount stores everywhere.

You may find that Eternity wasn't a massive hit there but it still has its market. It was huge here, which always ends up devaluing a fragrance, as it ends up connected to a specific era/trend.
    I just meant Eternity the line overall, including its Baskin Robbins 31 flavors of Flanker

[QUOTE=Zealot Crusader;4466715]My friend in Rome said Pino Silvestri is about as common there as Old Spice is here, and they like it because it's sharp enough to resist sweating off skin. Truth to this?

Believe it or not, Pino is what got me interested in fragrances back around 1979 in Philly. I started wearing that and Acqua di Selva pretty regularly. My first wife bought a bottle of Pino for me from a neighborhood Italian mom and pop store and that was that.

I wouldn't know how popular it is or isn't in Rome since I've never had the pleasure. I wouldn't doubt that it's popular though since it is one of the "oldies" I still grab, from time to time during spring and summer.

Regular price of Calvin Klein is above $50 here too. But as others were saying, there aren't that many perfume discounters in italy.
    It is true though some brands position themselves at different market segments in different countries. i don't know about Calvin Klein, but it's possible that it is considered a bit higher end than in the US.

cacio

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=SexySmells;4466747]
    My friend in Rome said Pino Silvestri is about as common there as Old Spice is here, and they like it because it's sharp enough to resist sweating off skin. Truth to this?

Believe it or not, Pino is what got me interested in fragrances back around 1979 in Philly. I started wearing that and Acqua di Selva pretty regularly. My first wife bought a bottle of Pino for me from a neighborhood Italian mom and pop store and that was that.

I wouldn't know how popular it is or isn't in Rome since I've never had the pleasure. I wouldn't doubt that it's popular though since it is one of the "oldies" I still grab, from time to time during spring and summer.
    That's really super cool. I'm gonna wear my Pino Silvestri tonight after work (and shower) just for you.

Basenotes Plus

video fail

If I go into a Macy's here in America, a 100 ml bottle of Eternity is $82. Not terribly far off from the Italian prices you saw...
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene should cost $275 for a 100 ml.
    Currently wearing: B9 by Bond No. 9

[QUOTE=Zealot Crusader;4466793]

That's really super cool. I'm gonna wear my Pino Silvestri tonight after work (and shower) just for you.
    Nice !!! Nothing quite like Pino wafting through the air after a hard days work.

I've actually been wearing Escape for the last few days.
    Though I have yet to see it for sale here.
    Regards,
    Renato

I'm of Italian descent with both sides coming to Ellis Island 95 years ago. I like Rocky movies; especially since I come from that same neighborhood in North Philadelphia where the movies were shot.

Yes.......I'm a walking cliche.....and yes, I revel in it.

Now, about Calvin Klein.......I have no idea WHY the releases are $$$jacked up like that. I like some of their fragrances, but find most of what I've tried to be either generic, innocuous, etc.........

It all comes down to what a person is willing to pay for any given fragrance. I suppose one mans mediocrity is another's treasure.
    Very true. Which is what makes me think Italians are very partial to Calvin.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Pino is sold in all the supermarkets in Italy, that said, I've never once caught it on the breeze.

My father wore it many moons ago, but my uncles are more Givenchy Gentleman than Pino.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Regular price of Calvin Klein is above $50 here too. But as others were saying, there aren't that many perfume discounters in italy.
    It is true though some brands position themselves at different market segments in different countries. i don't know about Calvin Klein, but it's possible that it is considered a bit higher end than in the US.

cacio
    Interesting. Though US$50 is still a lot more than A$40.
    They've definitely done a good job of positioning the older scents.
    I still haven't come across newer releases like Reveal, Shock for Men, or Calvin Klein Man though.
    Cheers,,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    If I go into a Macy's here in America, a 100 ml bottle of Eternity is $82. Not terribly far off from the Italian prices you saw...
    Fascinating, thanks.
    Though it's price wouldn't be that high in store after store.....or would it?
    Cheers,
    Renato.

Update:. I walked into the Sephora at Bergamo today, and prices were lower.
    Eternity. - 74 Euros
    Eternity Now and Obsession - 66 Euros

Similar story at the Coin store.
    Still expensive though.

I was surprised to see big gift sets including deodorant sticks and other stuff for CK One and CK Be - I don't remember ever seeing them in Australia.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion ....

I guess Italians really like some Calvin Klein scents.
    Regards,
    Renato
    From this...

I've been wandering into a few Italian perfume stores this vacation. I was struck seeing 100ml bottles of Calvin Klein Eternity and Eternity Now priced at 83 Euros each. I think they are excellent scents, but back home in Australia they can normally be found for the equivalent of 24 Euros, sometimes less.

Similarly, I've seen 200ml bottles of CK One and Ck B going for 70 Euros or so, where back home they can often be bought for as little as 18 Euros a bottle (I even saw a 50ml bottle of CK One going for 20 Euros).....

I've walked into many stores and have seen designer scents very much overpriced.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've actually been wearing Escape for the last few days.
    Though I have yet to see it for sale here.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Funny thing is, for how popular Escape was, it never got the army of flankers Eternity received.

Pino is sold in all the supermarkets in Italy, that said, I've never once caught it on the breeze.

My father wore it many moons ago, but my uncles are more Givenchy Gentleman than Pino.
    Pino Silvestri is definitely pencil box and clove with hints of lemon and pine, but it's austerity is welcome sometimes. The patchouli of Givenchy Gentleman is definitely friendlier.

Update:. I walked into the Sephora at Bergamo today, and prices were lower.
    Eternity. - 74 Euros
    Eternity Now and Obsession - 66 Euros

Similar story at the Coin store.
    Still expensive though.

I was surprised to see big gift sets including deodorant sticks and other stuff for CK One and CK Be - I don't remember ever seeing them in Australia.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Earlier this month I was in Sephora in Lucca and I was surprised to see a tiny stand against a wall for the CK. It was such an after-thought, and so easily missed. There couldn't have been more than four fragrances from the CK line.

I didn't notice any prices as I had no interest and only caught their positioning by sheer chance. I guess this is all the space you're getting if you don't fall under the LVMH umbrella.

Pino Silvestri is definitely pencil box and clove with hints of lemon and pine, but it's austerity is welcome sometimes. The patchouli of Givenchy Gentleman is definitely friendlier.
    I remember liking it as a kid. Very bracing. I thought it smelled great on my dad, but I haven't smelt it in years. It's probably limp and watered down now.

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is lovely in warm climates. The top notes go on forever.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I remember liking it as a kid. Very bracing. I thought it smelled great on my dad, but I haven't smelt it in years. It's probably limp and watered down now.

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is lovely in warm climates. The top notes go on forever.
    I wore it last night. Still very very bracing, to the point my roommate said I smelled like a mitre box.

I wonder if they actually any sell at that price. Never really liked Eternity much, or CK generally (though I've never smelled the first one). I'd take Cool Water over it any day.