Code of Conduct

Default Best dress socks?

Looking for good dress socks that won't cut into my calves (which are average), but they need to stay up. I just need solid navy socks for suits and work wear.

Any ideas?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Best dress socks?

Brioni makes very nice socks in all types of fabrics.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Brioni makes very nice socks in all types of fabrics.
    Thanks! I'll check those out.

Hey Chuck, from the mall near you, I would check out Calvin Klein from Macys or bloomingdales. They have a few that are dress pseudo thick cotton ones that I like that are very comfortable. They always stay up. However, after a multiple hot washes , they do shrink a bit so I wash them cold now and dont tumble dry hot anymore.

The only problem w CK is that they are hard to find in navy blue but they do have a pack w one navy in a 3pack that includes a tan and an olive. I wish they had a 3pack of just navy. THey do have the CK insignia in a two tone square on the side of the sock but it is tastefully done.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Darn Tough makes some plain black socks:

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-lifestyle

Darn Tough socks are easily better than any other socks, in my experience. They don't really last forever, as advertised, but they never smell bad, no matter how long I wear them. As far as fitting correctly, staying up. etc., they're perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    Hey Chuck, from the mall near you, I would check out Calvin Klein from Macys or bloomingdales. They have a few that are dress pseudo thick cotton ones that I like that are very comfortable. They always stay up. However, after a multiple hot washes , they do shrink a bit so I wash them cold now and dont tumble dry hot anymore.

The only problem w CK is that they are hard to find in navy blue but they do have a pack w one navy in a 3pack that includes a tan and an olive. I wish they had a 3pack of just navy. THey do have the CK insignia in a two tone square on the side of the sock but it is tastefully done.
    I agree on CK. They make some really decent dress socks, and have outperformed Polo in my experience.

Let's Dance

CK - hit and miss. More misses recently.

Bugatchi - nice. perhaps not long enough for some. These are among my favourites.

Paul Smith - nice, but not better than Bugatchi to justify the price difference.

Gap - I bought one pair because I liked the design, but it has surprised me with its quality.

Banana Republic - pretty good, just half a notch below Bugatchi IMO.

Tommy Hilfiger - not worth it, avoid.

Polo - bit better than Tommy, but worse than CK. Avoid.

I'm keen to try Bresciani, but they are somewhat pricey. You could try these as everyone raves about them, and they are also available in solid navy.